Mothering Forum banner

Where do you get maternity clothes?

16K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  mmellie 
#1 ·
I usually buy all my clothes at thrift stores, and during prior pregnancies I was able to get everything I needed second hand. I've been to all of our local places and the selection has ranged from absolutely nothing at all to only a handful of weird things like pleather pants. Where do you get decent maternity stuff for not a huge amount of money. I just want a couple pairs of khakis and some cotton long sleeve tees.

#3 ·
I agree about Old Navy. I normally hate the place, but they do very well for maternity clothes! So far I have bought almost nothing and have nothing left from my other pregnancies. My friend gave me a bag of clothes that will help when the weather gets colder, but we've got 6-10 wks of summer left here. Time to shop I guess.... rubber banding the pants only works if your shirts are long enough to cover it! LOL! I hate Motherhood because they're pricier, the fit isn't great, and the return policy is basically nonexistant. I do like that you can add 3 months with their belly pillows though... that helps.

I've had hit and miss luck at Ross/Marshalls and other discount places. I have a $5 pair of shorts from there that I live in at the moment.

Craigslist is another option. You can buy a sack of clothes within a general size (small, medium, large, plus, etc) for fairly cheap.

Or you can post on facebook and see if any friends have some you can borrow, if you're comfortable with that.

#5 ·
Most of the stores around here have cut out all or 95% of their maternity section. Target, Kohl's, and Old Navy have maybe 1-2 racks per store now. I usually get a coupon or spend enough at Old Navy online to get free shipping. Anything that doesn't fit ships back for free. The issue is making sure the things fit, though. They have a fitting guide online. The maternity bottoms are usually cut large, so I don't have too many issues there.

If you have an outlet mall near you, it may have a maternity outlet store. Around here we have a Mimi Maternity/Pea in the Pod store in the Folsom outlets. I can find shirts at Goodwill, but it is SO difficult to find pants there. They color coordinate instead of hanging by size, and they haven't grasped how to actually put maternity clothes in the maternity section. I don't have the patience to spend two hours sorting through the racks. I might try the St. Vincent de Paul store that opened up near the hospital that Mom is in tomorrow, though.

#6 ·
Fashion Bug had some cute cheap stuff and they always have coupons. But it's been over 5 years since I shopped for maternity clothes, so I don't know if they still have maternity. I'm sad that Wal Mart got rid of theirs. Some of my favorite clothes and nursing bras were from there and they were cheap.

#7 ·
I ordered a bunch of things on sale from the Gap a couple weeks ago. I sent half of it back, so paid $7 shipping for the return, but I got a denim skirt, some black slacks for work, a pair of really soft leggings, a tank top and a couple different tees for only about $60 (plus the $7 for the shipping). I don't need it all yet but I'm glad to have a few things stashed, and the price was right. It's all about the sales. I'm used to shopping online anyways, though, because I'm tall and no stores carry tall sizes any more but a lot of them are starting to carry tall clothes online.

#8 ·
I'm hoping to find what I need this time at thrift stores, garage sales, craigslist, etc. Some people have some really great, barely used stuff for a fraction of the retail store price. I won't be wearing it long anyway so I really rather not pay full retail. Of course, at least once a pregnancy I walk into a maternity store and see some pants or shorts I just can't resist. lol

#9 ·
I live within 20 minutes of 6 consignment stores (no kidding) and not one of them has maternity clothes.

I am pregnant the same season I was with DS so I won't need to update much, except for some nicer work clothes. Of course, it doesn't mean I won't shop more.

#10 ·
Hmm, the Canadian website for Old Navy doesn't mention maternity, I wonder if that means there isn't anything in store either. I know someone who works there that I could ask, but she doesn't know about the pregnancy yet. I'm not sure how much luck I will have in a place like Old Navy or Walmart though, since when not pregnant, I often have a hard time finding small enough pants sizes in those stores. For now, I am still managing with my larger and stretchier non-maternity clothes, but I'm not sure how long that will last. Anyone else in Canada have recommendations on where to look?

#11 ·
Kyamo, I'm in Canada, and I've bought maternity stuff at an Old Navy. It was in Toronto. I was checking out their website, too, and was sad that they didn't have maternity stuff. They have a super comfy stretchy foldover knee length skirt. I have one, but I would like to buy a couple of more colours.

I haven't looked at too many places for maternity wear; Thyme Maternity has nice stuff, but it tends to be $$. If you go there now, you can see if they still have winter stuff on clearance. I've bought stuff from Motherhood Maternity at thrift stores, and it has been comfy, but I'm not sure what their actual prices are like. I think Old Navy is the only other place I have actual maternity wear from. With my first, I wore leggings and tunic-style tops a lot.

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyamo View Post

Hmm, the Canadian website for Old Navy doesn't mention maternity, I wonder if that means there isn't anything in store either. I know someone who works there that I could ask, but she doesn't know about the pregnancy yet. I'm not sure how much luck I will have in a place like Old Navy or Walmart though, since when not pregnant, I often have a hard time finding small enough pants sizes in those stores. For now, I am still managing with my larger and stretchier non-maternity clothes, but I'm not sure how long that will last. Anyone else in Canada have recommendations on where to look?
Do you have anything like Ross up there? Ross has seconds, excess stock, or last season's clothes from other stores. They carry a lot of maternity clothes. It is hit or miss because it isn't a steady supply of a certain style, but usually I can find something. Ebay sometimes has good deals, too.

Btw, I found a good deal on cotton/lycra blend belly bands on Ebay. The seller is lola17288. I like them MUCH better than the nylon band I got from Mimi Maternity last go round.

#13 ·
So, does a Bella band go over your pants? So you can leave them unbuttoned or something? I had always thought they just went over your belly, so a non-maternity shirt that was riding up wouldn't expose it. Which didn't sound too interesting to me. But with people mentioning them in this ddc, I thought I would look them up, and from what I've seen, it looks like they go over your pants, or your belly & pants. Is that the deal? Because that would be great.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameragirl View Post

Do you have anything like Ross up there? Ross has seconds, excess stock, or last season's clothes from other stores. They carry a lot of maternity clothes. It is hit or miss because it isn't a steady supply of a certain style, but usually I can find something. Ebay sometimes has good deals, too.

Btw, I found a good deal on cotton/lycra blend belly bands on Ebay. The seller is lola17288. I like them MUCH better than the nylon band I got from Mimi Maternity last go round.
I have never heard of Ross, but Winner's sounds similar, so does Marshall's that recently opened up in Canada. I haven't checked either of them for maternity yet.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyamo View Post

I have never heard of Ross, but Winner's sounds similar, so does Marshall's that recently opened up in Canada. I haven't checked either of them for maternity yet.
Marshall's is similar, but prices are a little higher. Still cheaper than going to the maternity stores, though.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen View Post

So, does a Bella band go over your pants? So you can leave them unbuttoned or something? I had always thought they just went over your belly, so a non-maternity shirt that was riding up wouldn't expose it. Which didn't sound too interesting to me. But with people mentioning them in this ddc, I thought I would look them up, and from what I've seen, it looks like they go over your pants, or your belly & pants. Is that the deal? Because that would be great.
Yep - they go over your pants to hold up unbuttoned pants, loose maternity pants, and they let you wear normal shirts for a little longer. I loved using one after I had DD when I was in the phase where maternity pants are too big, but normal pants are too small. I wear mine down around where my c-section scar is and fold it over. That way it supports my loose pants and covers to about my belly button. I don't really like wearing them high up on the belly, but some do. They're also great for covering your torso if you're nursing out in public.

#17 ·
After a frustrating week of trying just about every store nearby (JCP, Kohls, Old Navy, Ross, Marshalls, etc) to find that ALL of them had reduced their maternity section to nearly nothing, I stopped into Forever 21 on a whim today to find they are increasing their maternity! I didn't buy much but they had some cute new tanks, dresses, a few pants. More than they show on their website. I didn't get much but ended up with their "starter kit" (leggings, tank top and cotton/lycra band) for just $15 and another spandex-type full-panel band that I really like so far for just $8! So for 4 items I paid less than one Bella Band costs. We'll see if they fall apart, but for now I'm totally satisfied.

#19 ·
In the past year or so they have added a line called Love21, which is for us *cough, cough* ladies-of-a-certain-age. Hit or miss, but this season seems to be a definitely hit! Think a cross between H&M and Anthropologie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbys View Post

I always thought Forever 21 was for teenagers. Now, I'll have to stop in at the mall. Thanks for that!

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbys View Post

I always thought Forever 21 was for teenagers. Now, I'll have to stop in at the mall. Thanks for that!
It was when they introduced the maternity line, which caused a HUGE stink online. Everyone blamed it on "16 and Pregnant."
lol.gif

#22 ·
With my last pregnancy, I lived in a pair of jeans that my mom bought me from Pea in a Pod. The belly band on it was thin, stretchy and went all the way over my belly. I had a couple other pairs of pants and capris that I got, but they cut in the middle of my belly and I couldn't stand them and never wore them. I think it's definitely good to find a pair of quality pants, even if they're a little spendy. Most of my maternity clothes came from Ross. Our closest Old Navy (2 hours away!) had a very limited supply. I think it has since increased and I have about $50 on a gift card, so I may have to check them out at some point. Also, our Macy's just brought in some Motherhood Maternity clothes. My first pregnancy, no one in our county carried maternity which boggled my mind!

#23 ·
Honestly, with my last pregnancy, I ordered most, if not all, of my maternity online from motherhood and ebay. I had no problems with sizing or anything. Brick and mortar stores, for the most part, have limited selection and, in my case, are a bitch to get to.

#25 ·
Do you want your requirement in used stuff or new one. For old stuff you have already tried, now the only option before you is to buy new one. If you have not find your collection in maternity shop in your nearby area, you can visit online maternity sites and your purpose will be solve.:thumb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.