Anyone else not gaining weight? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 08-17-2011, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I really haven't weighed myself in the past year, but I recently got a scale. I started weighing myself when ms was at it's worse, so I'm guessing it was probably my low weight. I haven't really gone up though although I am fluctuating. I'm just having the hardest time eating enough I think. The first problem is that I still have really bad heartburn all the time, and the second is that I'm a little afraid to gain as much weight in this pregnancy as I did last time (40 lbs). I tracked my calories yesterday just to see what I was at, and I by the time dinner came around I was only at 1300, and I'm pretty sure my dinner wasn't 1100 calories although I did eat a good portion. I've tried to be a little more free with food today, but I'm having a hard time "feeling" the correct amount of food. I never eat when I'm not hungry, and honestly I'm just not hungry.  I'm at 12 weeks now, and I can button up my tighter pairs of jeans just fine. I get a little bloated some evenings, but so far I'm still perfectly comfortable in a bikini.

How are you guys dealing with present and future weight gain, emotionally and physically?

Happily married to my soul mate, and a mommy of two girls + another baby due in June!

5****10****15****20****25****30****35**stillheart.gif*40

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 36 Old 08-17-2011, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm overweight this time. Last time I lost 20 and then gained 40. I believe about 15 pounds was water weight. I lost all but 10 pounds during the first two weeks. Last time I had HG and serious aversions, so I just tried to get in as many veggies, fruit, and proteins and didn't count calories.

This time, I am still dealing with morning sickness. I know I'm eating enough to maintain weight and not gain too much. Instead of counting calories, I'm focusing on getting in the protein, veggies, and fruit. I've gained about two pounds and I'm at 10w6d. I use the scale at home at the same time of day (morning) when I do bother checking my weight. At the OB's office, I'm wearing clothes, shoes, and weight fluctuates depending on what you eat or drink. I'd rather have a baseline. Once my stomach feels better, I may try the Brewer diet.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#3 of 36 Old 08-18-2011, 12:20 AM

I normally gain 35-ish pounds. I am still 4# under my normal weight b/c of m/s. I try hard to not pay too much attention to the scale as this is an area that health vs numbers matter more. But that's just how I try to approach it, I don't need to FEEL big even if I look big and pg. wink1.gif

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#4 of 36 Old 08-18-2011, 04:45 AM

I don't think anyone has to worry too much about not having gained weight at this point in the pregnancy.  As long as you can eat something every day, you're probably OK - the baby will take what it needs first and you get the rest, if any.   And it'll get better; you'll tell your provider if it doesn't, right?

Best to you! :)

Birthed a beautiful baby boy, Ethan, 11/11/09.
#5 of 36 Old 08-18-2011, 06:50 AM

I am still down the eightish pounds I lost in the beginning and none of my docs seems to care. When my wife was pregnant with DD, she got more like twelve pounds down and didn't put any of it back on until close to twenty weeks. All our medical people said they didn't much care until the second trimester part where the baby starts putting on a lot of growth.

Beth, SAHM to the little french goose, 6/17/09 and my little panda bear 2/6/12. I nursed with low supply, domperidone and a lact-aid for 18 months!
#6 of 36 Old 08-18-2011, 07:50 AM

Although I have had a lot of nausea, I haven't thrown up, and I have been able to eat a pretty normal amount of food.  My weight hasn't changed at all, I haven't gained or lost anything as of 11 weeks.  

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#7 of 36 Old 08-18-2011, 09:23 AM

I've lost a few pounds as well (about 3) and I'm 9ish weeks.  I'm not throwing up much, but am constantly nauseous so eating is a major chore.  So is nursing my toddler, which isn't really helping my calorie intake...

I'm sure I'll gain plenty once the nausea lets up.  I'm just bumming right now because I feel so lethargic and I'm not exercising much at all- between the nausea, the fatigue, and the hot and humid weather, I'm just struggling to get myself moving.  I bet that a little exercise might help improve my appetite...just need to get started!

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

#8 of 36 Old 08-18-2011, 10:02 AM

I haven't gained anything, but that is normal at this stage of pregnancy. Baby is VERY small! :)

Mom of 7, ages 13, 12, 9, 7, 5, 4, and 2.5!
#9 of 36 Old 08-18-2011, 10:38 AM

I misread the OP - that's what I get for posting while exhausted. It is totally normal to not gain much if anything in the first trimester. In fact, losing a few pounds if you're queasy is normal, too.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#10 of 36 Old 08-18-2011, 11:54 AM
JMJ

I'm holding pretty steady at about a pound less than when I got pregnant (but I'm definitely showing!).  I'm actually pretty proud of myself for maintaining that well because I lost almost 10 lbs. with DD, and this time, I'm nursing as well.  At this point, I'm keeping food out pretty much all the time to snack if I want.  It's really easy to keep out a bowl of nuts/seeds and nibble on them as I wish throughout the day.  I normally have a pretty good sense of when I'm hungry and when I'm not, so I'm not so worried about gaining too much weight.  I also don't think that 40# is a problem.  With DD, I ended up about 35# over my original pregnancy weight, but if you count gaining back the weight I lost, it was closer to 45#, and I was healthy, though I'm slightly underweight to begin with.  One of my midwives last time recommended 1#/week for all 40 weeks.  I had no problem losing the weight while breastfeeding, reaching my pre-pregnancy weight at 9 months postpartum (9 months on, 9 months off as my aunt used to say) and continuing to lose weight beyond that.  I started this pregnancy 2.5# more than last time only because I needed that extra body fat to conceive while nursing as much as DD is doing right now.

#11 of 36 Old 08-18-2011, 07:46 PM

I'm 12 weeks and I am down 3 or 4 pounds from week 8.  I'm not worried about it.  I've never gained during the first trimester and my docs have never worried about it either.

#12 of 36 Old 08-19-2011, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I guess I'll see how it goes in the next little bit.

Happily married to my soul mate, and a mommy of two girls + another baby due in June!

#13 of 36 Old 08-19-2011, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hi there-

not in this ddc, but thought i would add my expirence.  

DD1 I gained 40 lbs and lost it pretty quick with BFing after she was born.

DD2- I tried to limit my weight gain and exercised quite a bit (ran 10+ miles a week until she was born) and gained 23 lbs.  

DD1 gained weight super fast, she was 19 lbs at 3 months.  DD2, she has been super slow to gain and now at 1 year still has not doubled her birth weight.  This is just a speculation, but I think she poor weight gain was due to me not having lots of reserves.  I have also found losing weight this time a little more difficult, even though I am exercising more than I did after DD1.

If we have another, I will try to gain 30-35 lbs.

Good luck with everything.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#14 of 36 Old 08-19-2011, 04:19 PM

I'm 11.5 weeks and haven't gained anything, which seems odd because I'm definitely up a cup size and my stomach is looking quite a bit rounder... perhaps I've lost some muscle since I haven't felt up to working out? My OB said it's normal not to gain anything in the 1st trimester, but he wants me to gain one lb. per week from now on. I'm not quite sure how that's supposed to happen unless I get a serious appetite boost, but I'm ready!

#15 of 36 Old 08-20-2011, 04:55 PM

This is my third pregnancy, and I haven't gained anything so far.  It's pretty normal for me though, my pattern is that I usually don't gain until 20 weeks and I mean not a pound, then I put it all on the last half.  And I mean the full 35 pounds!  At the beginning my doctor is all, "ohh, you need to start gaining", then they are "WHOA! Slow down!".  I think I just trust my body to do what it needs to do.  winky.gif

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
#16 of 36 Old 08-20-2011, 05:14 PM

First trimester down, 1.5 lbs gained.  I normally don't have anything gained by now, but this has been a hungry baby.  I gain it all wks 30-40, nothing much to speak of before or after that.  I'd personally ignore any "try to gain x lbs in x amount of time" because I don't think it's that consistent for anyone.  Eat until you're satisfied, make (mostly) healthy choices, and you'll be fine and can nurse off the weight afterwards.  That's my philosophy.  :)

Kyamo likes this.

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

#17 of 36 Old 08-22-2011, 10:52 AM

Got on the scale today, and I'm officially back to what I was at my 8 week appointment. I've lost three pounds from what I was prior to the pregnancy.

#18 of 36 Old 08-24-2011, 12:54 PM

OK nevermind... 3 lbs now.  I entirely blame the cheesecake that DH and I polished off in 2 days.  bag.gif  Or the lack of morning sickness all of a sudden, because that whole cheesecake incident wouldn't have happened otherwise! 

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

#19 of 36 Old 09-03-2011, 12:20 PM

I'm still wavering between 2lbs lost, or 2lbs gained. It seems to go back and forth.

#20 of 36 Old 09-05-2011, 04:05 PM

Me. I seem to be losing weight. I can't eat much though so I know that's why.

#21 of 36 Old 09-06-2011, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I haven't gained anything. I still had 30lbs. to lose from my last pregnancy so I am thrilled to gain slowly this time! I am nursing my 1yo though so that is definitely helping keep my weight down at this point. I am starving all the time and, while eating much healthier than I did with my first, I am eating a lot.
#22 of 36 Old 09-08-2011, 10:15 AM

I am almost 15 weeks and I think I'm down about 5 pounds.  I'm not eating all that much.

#23 of 36 Old 09-10-2011, 02:52 PM

I'm holding steady here at 15 weeks. WIth DS I'd gained some by now. But I've had a bit of morning sickness and wasn't thrilled with food for a few weeks there. I'm making up for it now though. ;) I was telling a friend today, one day I'll step on the scale and it'll be like, BAM, 8 lbs.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#24 of 36 Old 09-10-2011, 04:23 PM

I'm up a few pounds, but I don't know if it is the large amount of water I've had to drink and the fluids they pumped into me. I got D5W instead of saline, and that affects how much you hold on to differently. I'll have to wait and see if it goes down later next week when I'm done. That, and I'm super hungry, too. For some reason it makes you ravenous.

#25 of 36 Old 09-11-2011, 01:38 PM

I wasn't back down to my normal weight after my last pregnancy, but I was starting to lose some.  Our scale broke a little while before I got pregnant, though, so I'm not sure what exactly was going on.  I'm currently down about 8 - 10 lbs from where I was the last time I weighed myself pre-pregnancy; I've been at the same weight for about a month now, though I sure do look bigger than I did a month ago.  I generally lose about 10 lbs in the first trimester, though.  I'm not sure how; I rarely throw up, haven't at all in this pregnancy, and it seems like I end up eating all day long to help keep the nausea at bay.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#26 of 36 Old 09-11-2011, 01:57 PM

I may have gained a pound or two.    Pre-pregnancy I was 123 to 125, now I'm usually seeing 125 to 127.   I think it may be mostly water weight though.  I haven't felt much like eating for the past four weeks so I'm surprised I haven't lost a pound or two.   I'm hoping the nausea, indigestion and heartburn magically disappear in a week or two and I can enjoy food again.  *fingers crossed*

#27 of 36 Old 09-11-2011, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

I managed to gain 2.5 pounds this week. And I finally started to show. Either I have a new food baby, or there's wonderful 2nd trimester growing happening now.

#28 of 36 Old 09-13-2011, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I was about 10lbs over my goal weight when I got pregnant, but I lost about 6lbs at 10 weeks, I'm 13 weeks now and have gained back 2lbs.  So, sorta no gaining.  My last 3 pregnancies I gained at least 5lbs in the first trimester, never any loss.   I also popped out for like a week, now i look smaller. weird!?

Lisa- mom to 4 boys, expecting our 5th surprise in May 
#29 of 36 Old 09-19-2011, 08:36 AM

I'm 17 weeks and I've lost a total of 30 lbs so far with this pregnancy. :S I think it's partly because I'm so nauseous (still!!!!) that I can't eat much and partly because I only want to eat fresh, raw fruit and veggies. Chocolate and sweets just make me ill for the most part, so that's really helped, I'm sure. Also, since I'm at my parents' house, I'm going up and down stairs all day and walking a lot more, so that is also helpful, considering I usually just sit at the computer all day.

#30 of 36 Old 09-19-2011, 10:09 PM

My pre-pregnancy weight was 126. I lost 4 lbs. during the first trimester and have now gained 2 of them back. So I'm still below pre-pregnancy weight, but I'm glad I'm starting to gain now!

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page