Anyone else planning on encapsulating their placenta?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 09-03-2011, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xosara View Post

How do you encapsulate your placenta?

Essentially, you just dry it, grind it up, and put it in capsules.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
#32 of 44 Old 09-05-2011, 04:03 PM

I really want to! I'm just having trouble finding someone in my area that does it. I had trouble with milk supply and PPD, so I want to try anything that will help! thumb.gif

#33 of 44 Old 09-05-2011, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I definitely want to. I bled quite a bit following delivery and feel this would help with recovery as well as to help balance out the hormones. I have no idea how to bring this up to my mainstream hubs though! He is going to think I have finally fully lost my mind.
#34 of 44 Old 09-06-2011, 07:52 AM
JMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiannas View Post

I definitely want to. I bled quite a bit following delivery and feel this would help with recovery as well as to help balance out the hormones. I have no idea how to bring this up to my mainstream hubs though! He is going to think I have finally fully lost my mind.

Slowly and respectfully.  You didn't come to this conclusion overnight, and neither will he.  Give him bits of information at a time to allow them to sink in and respect his feelings about the whole thing.  Just as you probably went through the process of first thinking that it's really gross to thinking that a pill isn't too bad and probably started out skeptical of this "wives tale" until you realized that it just might be something completely natural and side-effect free that could help, so why not?  In the same way, he'll have to go through that same process.

#35 of 44 Old 09-06-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiannas View Post

Don't worry my DH is against it, but then again it's not his body and he didn't experience the PPD I did or the feeling of failure as a mother when my supply dried up at 6 months. 

#36 of 44 Old 09-07-2011, 02:44 PM

i am really excited because my midwife will do it for me this time! i, personally, don't think it is gross at all. I think placentas are amazing!!!!

#37 of 44 Old 09-10-2011, 05:09 PM

DH is on board oddly enough... he's a little freaked out by the idea, but says I can do it if I want to and think the benefits would be worth it.

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

#38 of 44 Old 09-26-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighids Flame View Post

I had planned on doing this, but when I spoke to a local midwife a few months before TTC, she said that it seems like a lot of the vitamins/nutrients/enzymes/hormones would be lost in the dehydrating process. She said she recommends freezing it in small chunks, and blending them into fruit smoothies. Does anyone know if it's true about the dehydrating process destroying all the good stuff in the placenta? And has anyone ever tried the smoothie thing? I know I'm on-board with placentophagy, I'm just not sure how I'll be consuming it...

I want to know if this is true too. At first I was thinking encapsulation because I didn't want to taste it. But I see blogs about not tasting it even in fruit smoothies. So heck, if cutting and freezing is better for you I'll do that way. Save me time and money on encapsulation...

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#39 of 44 Old 09-29-2011, 09:37 AM

I am definitely interested and wished I had done it with my last four. But, I don't know anyone who does it in our area. I am going to go look around on the internet and I'll probably find someone. I don't think I could just eat it though... I mean, it's like the difference between seeing a lobster on your plate and seeing it in the tank. I want to take my medicine in pill form not in original form lol.
#40 of 44 Old 09-29-2011, 09:46 AM

DDCC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcblondie View Post

I want to know if this is true too. At first I was thinking encapsulation because I didn't want to taste it. But I see blogs about not tasting it even in fruit smoothies. So heck, if cutting and freezing is better for you I'll do that way. Save me time and money on encapsulation... 

I too would like to know how true this is. Dehydration is usually the best way to preserve all the vitamins and minerals in fruits and veggies, so I would think it's a great way to get as much as you can out of the placenta. Of course, no processing will preserve 100%, which leads to freezing...

I'm considering asking my mom to help me encapsulate after baby is born. I have no idea whether she'll think I'm crazy. She's an old-school attachment parent, extended BFing, co-sleeping mama, but I don't know how far her liberalism goes! ;)

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#41 of 44 Old 09-29-2011, 10:35 AM

Oh, I found some ladies on another forum talking about a link they found. I can't remember what forum because I randomly found them while googling the subject lol. But here's the link. I tried to read through everyone's posts again to make sure it hadn't been posted so if I am re-posting sorry!

I am seriously thinking about doing it myself. I know hubby would help because we discussed doing it before. With the last two placentas he saw how hard it was for me to just throw them away so we kept them in the freezer until we moved here. The night before we moved we climbed a local mountain and buried them beneath a willow tree.treehugger.gif I never in a million years would have pegged our family as being so crunchy but it felt better knowing that something would benefit from what helped our babies. Now, I want to encapsulate... another mountain climb lol
#42 of 44 Old 10-05-2011, 03:26 PM

I told my midwife my plans yesterday and she laughed and said "of COURSE you do." Considering the previous appt we were talking about hypnobirthing and stuff, of which she's only attented 3 other births. She's definitely getting the picture of what a hippie I am. ;)

Oh! About encapsulation. A friend of mine does it and she said another option is to cut slivers and put them in the gel caps without dehydrating. I guess you would still have to freeze the caps. But if you feel that frozen preserves teh nutrients better, but REALLY don't want to taste it... this is an option.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#43 of 44 Old 10-06-2011, 12:40 PM

For anyone doing this, I highly recommend getting a little encapsulating machine. It makes things SO much easier when you make capsules. Calling it a machine is really not true...you have a plastic tray that you put the bottoms of the capsules in. Then you fill, level off with a little tool, and put on the top piece that holds the tops of the capsules. The capsules pop together, and you're done. Otherwise, it could take hours to do it. You could always wash it and resale as like new, or keep for another time.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#44 of 44 Old 10-10-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

Slowly and respectfully.  You didn't come to this conclusion overnight, and neither will he.  Give him bits of information at a time to allow them to sink in and respect his feelings about the whole thing.  Just as you probably went through the process of first thinking that it's really gross to thinking that a pill isn't too bad and probably started out skeptical of this "wives tale" until you realized that it just might be something completely natural and side-effect free that could help, so why not?  In the same way, he'll have to go through that same process.

Cam back to this thread to think about how to approach the subject with my mom, whom I would ask for help with the process if I'm not feeling great after the birth. You've written out the mental process and stages really well! Thanks.

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page