Mothering Forum banner

Thinking about malpositioning...

914 views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  cameragirl 
#1 ·
With my last pregnancy, DD was sitting posterior, with an anterior placenta. I saw a chiropractor in the last trimester, but I didn't see any change in her position. She was a short chubby baby, and may not have had a ton of room to squirm into the right position. I tried just about everything - hanging out on all fours, hanging upside down from the couch, you name it. She wouldn't budge. I figure that was probably the best position for her. That position, coupled with her size, and a doctor that was worried about shoulder dystocia ended up with me getting a c-section. We didn't want that, but after a pregnancy with HG and some serious discomfort, I caved.

Anyways - this time things are a little different. We are set on a VBAC unless I am having a major flare-up, in which case, I realize that a c-section would be the better choice. Either way, I am set on going into labor first. I am worried about the baby being positioned correctly this time. I'm now seeing my former chiropractor's daughter, who is specifically trained in caring for pregnant women and the Webster technique. I'm planning on going throughout the pregnancy this time to keep my body in the best alignment possible. That part is easy enough.

My issue is that all of the articles I have read on preventing and changing the position of babies recommend no reclining on the couch, no sticking your legs up above your belly while resting, etc. With the spasms, that is often the most comfortable position. I like to sit on the couch with a pillow under my knees to take the pressure off of my lower back. I can't do hands/knees because of nerve issues, but I could probably handle elbows/knees. I can handle deep squats without spasming, and the chiropractor recommended keeping that up to keep the pelvis open. Are there any other positions that wouldn't strain my back but that would help with positioning? Is my position incredibly important?

See less See more
#2 ·
If you haven't already, check out the Spinning Babies website. There is a lot of information there and you might find some other suggestions that work for you.

Do you have a big yoga ball? You could try hanging out on your knees with your upper body resting over the ball. Really comfortable, lets the belly hang to stretch out those ligaments, and gives baby plenty of room to get into the best position!

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamathomas View Post

If you haven't already, check out the Spinning Babies website. There is a lot of information there and you might find some other suggestions that work for you.

Do you have a big yoga ball? You could try hanging out on your knees with your upper body resting over the ball. Really comfortable, lets the belly hang to stretch out those ligaments, and gives baby plenty of room to get into the best position!
Yeah, we do have one somewhere that I could dig out. I used to sit on the ball a lot with DD because it was comfortable with all of the BH that I was having.

#4 ·
Yeah, I had those same worries with DD. DS was stubborn breech, anterior placenta, I did EVERYTHING. I mean, even crazy stuff along with the usual chiro, moxi, swimming, headstands, acupressure, bodywork, prayer, you name it. He didn't budge. So, c-section it was. DD was in perfect position though, so that was awesome. Didn't VBAC though as I went to 42 weeks with her with no sign of labor, effacing, nothing. I felt so much pressure to "perform" as we had to move two weeks after her birth. It was rough to say the least. I'd love to try to VBA2C, but I'm not sure how much of a fight I'm willing to go through at this point. Anyway, just try to relax, no matter what people say, I truly do not believe you can actually affect the position of your baby. Sorry, I'm jaded, they'll go where they feel they need to be and what works for them for reasons unknown to us at the time. I'm trying to just go with it now.

#5 ·
I've had the same worries... come to think of it most of my babies have been malpositioned in some way (out of 6 kids, I had 2 posterior, 1 asynclitic and one turn transverse in active labor, which ended up in a necessary c/s). Honestly I'm not sure any of the positioning stuff I did helped at all. I'm just going to hope for the best. In some ways, having all the stress about which way you're sitting, whoops I'm leaning back but that feels best... it's not worth it to me when it seemed to make very little difference anyway.

#6 ·
Cameragirl -

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!! My ds was in the exact same position. Anterior placenta and posterior the whole pregnancy. I too tried everything listed: spinning babies, yoga ball, hands and knees, chiro etc etc etc. Isn't it the most frustrating thing??? Fortunately I ended up having a non medicated vaginal birth but I was screaming for a c-section until he finally flipped at the very last second.

In my very non medical personal opinion I think the reason my son was posterior was because of the anterior placenta. Perhaps not, but that's my belief. This time I'm praying for a "normal" placenta placing. I'm interested to hear if there's anything else we could be doing to help our babies into the optimal birth position.

#7 ·
Didn't mean for my post to sound like if you hang over a ball everything will be fine. Going back and reading it, it's not how I meant it to come across. Just trying to think of a position that might be easier for you to handle that could potentially allow a little wiggle room for baby to get into a better spot if that was meant to be. I do believe that OFP techniques can be of great benefit, though there will always be those babies who will remain in the position they are in and won't budge. There's usually a reason for it and that needs to be respected too.

Hopefully this won't be an issue for you or any of the other Mamas this time around!

#8 ·
I'm going in for my 12 week appointment on Thursday and I believe she said she'll do another ultrasound. I'll have to ask where the placenta is. I have read that being overweight can cause an anterior placenta, but why? What would make the placenta attach on the front of the uterus just from being chubby?

#9 ·
Wivestale perhaps?? I was only 135 lbs with my last child . . . and I had an anterior placenta. I don't really consider myself overweight at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameragirl View Post

I'm going in for my 12 week appointment on Thursday and I believe she said she'll do another ultrasound. I'll have to ask where the placenta is. I have read that being overweight can cause an anterior placenta, but why? What would make the placenta attach on the front of the uterus just from being chubby?

#10 ·
I'm thinking it is a wives' tale or anecdotal. I haven't seen any evidence that it is true, but it has been repeated over and over even on reputable medical sites. It isn't like the posterior side of your uterus is fatty or damaged if you're a little overweight. From what I've read, malpositioning happens as much or around the same amount with thin women.

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamathomas View Post

Didn't mean for my post to sound like if you hang over a ball everything will be fine. Going back and reading it, it's not how I meant it to come across. Just trying to think of a position that might be easier for you to handle that could potentially allow a little wiggle room for baby to get into a better spot if that was meant to be. I do believe that OFP techniques can be of great benefit, though there will always be those babies who will remain in the position they are in and won't budge. There's usually a reason for it and that needs to be respected too.

Hopefully this won't be an issue for you or any of the other Mamas this time around!
I totally agree! Some babies just won't or can't move, but I disagree with those who say that you can't affect the position of the baby. A midwife friend said that posterior babies were almost unheard of before every home had a recliner.

To the OP, I would just say, do the best you can, and if you end up going for a VBAC, just move around as much as possible during labor to help the baby get into the position it needs to be in.

#14 ·
I appreciate the advice. I'm guessing that our modern lifestyle does have a lot to do with it. We're less active, spend more time sitting, etc. I have a huge bean bag that can be used in a ton of different positions. If I sit it up, I can use it like a chair but still get the back support I need while being upright. I might bring that into the living room once I get to that point. It is a little easier to stay completely upright in that bag than on the over-stuffed couch. I'm definitely going to keep up the chiropractic visits, especially later on. They help with my spasms and the Webster technique is pretty darn effective. (Moreso than a version, from what I've read.)

Do you know if the position of the uterus in the beginning has anything at all to do with it? Last time it was retroverted, but this time it is all the way over to the right. (The side the surgeon used during delivery.) It is bizarre feeling the fundus over there.

#15 ·
I should mention that I'm planning on laboring at home as long as possible before going to the hospital. I think that will help, since I'll be able to use an exercise ball, take a bath, shower, walk around, etc.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameragirl View Post

Yeah, I think that's anecdotal. I was only 120 when I got pregnant with DS (I'm 5'6") and had an anterior placenta (and he was breech). One of my best friends just had her baby (yesterday!!) and her placenta was also anterior and she was in the 1-teens when she got pregnant (not a breech baby, normal birth). I kept wondering if I had an anterior placenta because I used to sleep on my stomach a lot!

#17 ·
I thought I'd add this here, too. I had the Webster technique done yesterday because I was starting to get pain from my uterus being flopped over to the right. The left side is really stretched, and right side is too tight. The night before she adjusted me, the placenta was still easier to hear on the Doppler than the baby. After the adjustment, I tried the Doppler again. I hear the whoosing of the cord, but it is harder to hear than the baby. Hopefully that means a posterior placenta! I'll find out Monday, either way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.