What are you reading? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2011, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband makes fun of me because I just love reading about pregnancy, childbirth, and all that. I was thinking it would be fun to share what we're reading and what we think about it.

I'm currently reading The Vaccine Book by Robert Sears. So far it's pretty fascinating, but I'm still in the beginning.

I'm about halfway through The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer and Rhonda Wheeler. It's extremely biased towards natural birth, which is okay for me, but I don't really trust it too much because of the obvious bias. She tends to interpret facts in a way that will back herself up. It's pretty boring too, so I'm taking a break from it.

Sippy Cups are not for Chardonnay: I needed some humor, but it missed the mark...

Childproofing your Dog: If you have a dog, I really recommend it. Lot's of great tips that are really make sense, but I just didn't think about with my dd.

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth: Loved it! I skipped a lot of the birth stories though, but I'll come back to them.

Skinny Bitch Bun in the Oven: I like meat, and dairy, and eggs. There were some interesting tidbits on artificial sweetners though.

Hypnobirthing: I'm very interested in doing this, but I'm leaning a little more towards hypnobabies now. This might be an entirely different thread!

Your Best Birth: I thought this was a great read to help me decide what I really wanted to do in the beginning. I read this one before I got pregnant, and then I watched her documentary with my dh. She brings up a lot of good points, but isn't too overwhelming.

Happily married to my soul mate, and a mommy of two girls + another baby due in June!

5****10****15****20****25****30****35**stillheart.gif*40

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 11:45 PM

I just bought this book today for my husband: 

Be Prepared: A Practical Handbook for New Dads

http://www.amazon.com/Be-Prepared-Practical-Handbook-Dads/dp/0743251547

I sat down in a coffee shop to peek through it and found myself immersed and laughing out loud. It is good solid information (eg breastmilk is best whenever possible, positions for burping, etc) but presented in a humorous and engaging way (with fantastic illustrations!). I highly recommend it for any first-time dads or moms with limited baby exposure

Baking a cupcake at 98.6°. This little lady is due early March 2012.

***4***8***12***16****20***24***28***32*ecbaby.gif*36***40**

Old 08-24-2011, 12:22 AM

Read food for mother and baby, by Nina Planck, for what to eat during pregnancy and after birth.

The silent knife,  http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Knife-Cesarean-Prevention-Vaginal/dp/0897890272 , to get information about VBAC as early as possible..

34 yr old mommy to Marina (4 Dec 07), excited for #2 in late March!
Old 08-24-2011, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Nothing. Sheepish.gif  Not even any non-pregnancy stuff.  I fall asleep if I sit down to read, and my older kids would catch on if I were reading pregnancy stuff.

I've been spending way too much time online looking at baby names, though.  I'm kind of hoping for a girl simply because we have a girl name we both agree on and is very special to me (a grandmother's name).  A boy name will be way trickier.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 08-24-2011, 07:13 AM

I read a lot of fiction. Since this is my second baby, I feel like I have read everything about being pregnant already. I just want to read ghost stories now.

If you want laughs and valuable information, I totally recommend Amalah's 40 week pregnancy calendar. It is hilarious.

Mom to two boys and expecting a babygirl.gif in May, 2014!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:45 AM

Well, I'm working towards my birth doula and natural childbirth educator certifications so I can't seem to escape the birthy stuff! Though I have taken a break from it all because with both programs I seemed to be right in the middle of learning about every conceivable thing that could possibly ever go wrong - too much for me right now.

I do absolutely love Ina May Gaskin and am looking forward to rereading her Guide to Childbirth and Spiritual Midwifery, plus I just got Birth Matters. She really resonates the most with me and I find her words very empowering and inspiring.

For fun I'm reading George RR Martin's fifth book in the Song of Ice and Fire series, A Dance With Dragons. I waited YEARS for that book to come out but I can barely get through a few pages at a time because I'm so sick and just want to close my eyes. Hoping that all ends soon and I can get back to my nightly reads :)

“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” 

- Gabriel García Márquez

Old 08-24-2011, 01:37 PM

I'm reading Kathy Reichs new book, Flash and Bones.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
Old 08-24-2011, 01:49 PM

Trying to read Gentle Birth Choices... I think by Susanne Arms?  I'm not loving it simply because having picked homebirth already it's not terribly helpful and so far there has been no new info for me.  I should give it more of a chance though... I did my longest read of it when I was extremely irritated at something and trying to stay awake past my bedtime to simplify travel sleep.  I imagine that could have swayed my opinion somewhat.  ;)

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

Old 08-24-2011, 01:53 PM

I think I might visit the used book store down the street to see if they have Ina May's book, or anything else good. I have a good pregnancy book from an OB that believes in integrative medicine...I should break that out again, too.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
Old 08-24-2011, 02:33 PM

I can't wait to start Ina May's new book! I just need to get my hands on it first!  I just finished The Vaccine Book and it's awesome - I highly recommend to anyone.  I love that it's written in a very unbiased way.

I just ordered "Making More Milk" from Amazon.  My midwife recommended it to me since she knows how much I struggled with my supply. 

treehugger.gifnovaxnocirc.gifdp_femalesling.GIFwool.giflotbirth.gifcaffix.gifribbonjigsaw.gifcd.gif

Old 08-24-2011, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I haven't seen too many recent books that I care to read.  I read a ton with my last 3 pregnancies so this time it's mostly articles, publications and midwifery blogs.  Maybe I'll get some videos this time on various topics.   I am still peeking in the Pregnancy Book by Dr. Sears for the weekly updates on baby though. 

Lisa- mom to 4 boys, expecting our 5th surprise in May 
Old 08-24-2011, 08:41 PM

I've thought about reading VBAC stuff and Unnecesaerean and stuff...but I'm just reading the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins... lol

Birthed a beautiful baby boy, Ethan, 11/11/09.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I haven't been reading much about pregnancy or birth, because lately I've been trying to keep my mind on other things so I don't stress out. I've been mostly reading for fun lately, and since our internet was down all last week I got a lot of reading done. I read the latest George R. R. Martin book, the latest Robert Jordan(/Brandon Sanderson) book, the first two books in The Book of Amber series, and The Iron Hunt, which I was meh about. Since Borders is going out of business, we went and picked up a few parenting/birthy books, and I'll probably go get more in a week or two when the prices are even lower. I think once we're in the second trimester I'll feel less anxious reading about pregnancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamathomas View Post

Well, I'm working towards my birth doula and natural childbirth educator certifications so I can't seem to escape the birthy stuff! Though I have taken a break from it all because with both programs I seemed to be right in the middle of learning about every conceivable thing that could possibly ever go wrong - too much for me right now.

I do absolutely love Ina May Gaskin and am looking forward to rereading her Guide to Childbirth and Spiritual Midwifery, plus I just got Birth Matters. She really resonates the most with me and I find her words very empowering and inspiring.

For fun I'm reading George RR Martin's fifth book in the Song of Ice and Fire series, A Dance With Dragons. I waited YEARS for that book to come out but I can barely get through a few pages at a time because I'm so sick and just want to close my eyes. Hoping that all ends soon and I can get back to my nightly reads :)

I just finished A Dance With Dragons yesterday!! Take your time reading it, if you read a page a day you might only have to wait 4 years before he comes out with the next one wink1.gif

Old 08-26-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighids Flame View Post

I just finished A Dance With Dragons yesterday!! Take your time reading it, if you read a page a day you might only have to wait 4 years before he comes out with the next one wink1.gif

Haha, so true!!!

“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” 

- Gabriel García Márquez

Old 09-02-2011, 07:13 AM

I'm currently reading Water For Elephants.  It is SO good!!  I wasn't aware they had come out with a movie until after I started reading it.....

I'm also in the middle of Birth Matters by Ina May Gaskin.  Highly recommended!!!!!

treehugger.gifnovaxnocirc.gifdp_femalesling.GIFwool.giflotbirth.gifcaffix.gifribbonjigsaw.gifcd.gif

Old 09-14-2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyadri View Post

I'm currently reading Water For Elephants.  It is SO good!!  I wasn't aware they had come out with a movie until after I started reading it.....

I'm also in the middle of Birth Matters by Ina May Gaskin.  Highly recommended!!!!!

I loved Water For Elephants. I haven't seen the movie...I'm kind of afraid I'll be let down after reading the book. I started reading Wicked, but haven't gotten very far. I'm going to take a bunch of books down to the used bookstore so that I can get some new books to read.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:37 PM

No pregnancy books here just the Sookie Stackhouse series and the Hunger Games series. And just saying that makes me sounds like I have schizophrenia o well. O wait... I got it, they both have strong female characters.

twin boys born 11/28/08, pregnant with #3 due 3/13/12

User Tag List