Crafty Mamas - Whatcha' making? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 105 Old 12-01-2011, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That tank is SUPER cute! I have got to get some cone yarn so that I can try the knitting machine that I inherited. It came with all sorts of pattern cards and what not, and I feel bad that it has been sitting there. I've heard they're really easy once you get the hang of it, so I'd at least like to make a baby blanket. My goal is to actually get some apparel done with the machine by next year. I've got all of the projects my grandma was working on when she passed, but unfortunately it has been so long that the skeins she had were toast.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 105 Old 12-03-2011, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to attempt to finish the blanket I got started for my nephew's shower. Everyone signed the yellow broadcloth I got for the back, and the front is a couple of really cute patterns. It is simple...but it got stashed on a high shelf and I couldn't find it for a long time. Then my loving husband did it again. So, between that and me being less mobile, it just hasn't gotten done. It is seriously late...by oh, about a year. At least it is big, so it'll still be perfectly useable for awhile now. I'll probably wrap it up for Christmas and make him something else to go with it. Maybe a taggy blanket? DD wants to help design something, and a taggy might be good.

I'm also going to task DH with getting the terrarium glass washed, and he needs to figure out how much of the aquarium rocks, charcoal, and soil we need so he can pick them up from the store. Then we'll go plant shopping after that is taken care of. I need to figure out where to store that many terrariums, though...hmm. Especially since bright, indirect light is scarce in this house.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#93 of 105 Old 12-04-2011, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Jillian, I saw this super easy, cute blankie on Pinterest. Maybe something DD could help you with?

http://nebraskaviews.blogspot.com/2011/09/easy-no-sew-fleece-blanket-edging.html

Baking a cupcake at 98.6°. This little lady is due early March 2012.

***4***8***12***16****20***24***28***32*ecbaby.gif*36***40**

#94 of 105 Old 12-12-2011, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. smile.gif I like the edging on that. My sister got our Mom a Kindle, so I'm making her a couple cases for it. One is white eyelet, and the lining is a champagne satin that I used to make the flower girl dress for my niece when she was in our wedding. The other I'm making out of a black fabric with little white polka dots, and a pink flannel lining. I might put a pocket on the black and pink cover. I just need to get some ribbon, and possibly some felt or batting for lining if I don't already have enough. I'm using this pattern, but scaled up a little for the Kindle Touch:

http://www.polkadotchair.com/2010/09/kindle-keeper-tutorial.html

(I'm also not bothering with the iron-on vinyl.)

#95 of 105 Old 12-13-2011, 03:14 PM

Wow you all are so crafty. I have not posted as I was still gathering my info and supplies for wool soakers using soft real wool sweater and yarn to crochet. My mom just came for a week and we crocheted two soakers three hats they turned out so cute.

Plus I have been working on solstice gifts for my older girls. Out of old shelving I built two wardrobe closets for their Bitty baby and American girl doll clothes. I can't wait to give these. I covered each one with fabric that I picked out to fit each girl and even covered the shelves too. Added a dowl rod and ordered little hangers. So fun!!!!

#96 of 105 Old 12-13-2011, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

I found some I think I'm go1.5" grosgrain for the cases at Hobby Lobby. It wasn't an exact match, but they ribbon was 50% off! Not bad to spend $4.28 (plus supplies I already had) for two Kindle cases. I have plenty of the black polka dot and pink flannel, so I think I will make a purse to match. I'm thinking I'll trace DD's hand and applique it onto the black polka dot for the outside of the purse. This pattern looks super easy, too. I should make Mom more purses. She likes to show them off and tell people that I made them, but I just haven't in a few years. smile.gif

http://www.marthastewart.com/275090/sewing-patterns-and-templates/@center/326405/sewing-projects

#97 of 105 Old 01-20-2012, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I made this top the other day.  It was 20 pieces and not originally a maternity top, but it was worth it.  It's super comfy~

31.5 (2 of 9).jpg

31.5 (3 of 9).jpg

Lisa- mom to 4 boys, expecting our 5th surprise in May 
#98 of 105 Old 01-21-2012, 05:43 AM

cute top, that neckline/yoke looks crazy complex!

#99 of 105 Old 02-16-2012, 07:24 AM

A sign I made for my SIL who had her 1st in December.  Thinking I need one too, for the UPS guy etc.  I hate when they knock really loud and walk away!

IMG_3993.JPG

Got some new cloth wipes made for the baby, figured he could use some new soft ones.  The ones we have used with DD for over 2 years are still holding up, but not so soft anymore. 

IMG_3999.JPG

And finished re-upholstering the platform rocker that will go in the nursery (when it is ready,...someday)

rocker turned.jpg

#100 of 105 Old 02-16-2012, 04:35 PM

sh118- wow that is some major craftiness! Love the chair, so impressive. 

#101 of 105 Old 02-16-2012, 04:42 PM

I finished up a maternity dress for myself 

6887532031_940acaef26_z.jpg

and did this quick quilt in a few hours.  it's 30x30 and made with some scraps of bamboo velour and cute mermaid fabric.  The back is flannel so I hope to use it as a burp rag, changing blanket, floor blanket et. 

6887528437_e3709d5c15.jpg

Any suggestions for finishing up the quilting?  Because of the bamboo velour it want's to get all shifty in the sewing machine.  I was thinking I could hand quilt some basic shapes ( bubbles and waves) but i have some carpal tunnel acting up, how long would that take? I normally do not hand quilt. 

#102 of 105 Old 02-16-2012, 06:02 PM

Everlong, are you totally averse to tying it?  It can look cute with a coordinating pearl cotton thread, and much faster than hand quilting (not that I have ever hand quilted...)

Edited to add...love those prints you used for the dress!

#103 of 105 Old 02-21-2012, 10:44 PM

Thanks!

I'm not against using a machine, I actually tried once but the velour makes the fabric pucker in places and look odd.  I was told to start in the middle and use lots of pins... so I think I'll try it again on the machine.  I really don't have time for hand quilting anything at this point lol! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh118 View Post

Everlong, are you totally averse to tying it?  It can look cute with a coordinating pearl cotton thread, and much faster than hand quilting (not that I have ever hand quilted...)

Edited to add...love those prints you used for the dress!

#104 of 105 Old 02-22-2012, 05:45 AM

I also have trouble quilting with velour or fleece since they stretch out.  Do you have a walking foot?  That may help some.

Otherwise tying really can look cute and is by far the fastest!!  Take a big stitch every 4-6", clip the stitches, tie, and trim.  http://www.everythingsewing.net/babyquilt.htm

#105 of 105 Old 02-22-2012, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

I cursed fleece until I got a walking foot and roller foot. I still don't like sewing it, but it doesn't make me scream anymore. I think I might start on a cuddle sack for the little guy tomorrow if I have the chance. I have some bulky weight yarn leftover from making my sister a cowl, and it should knit up pretty quickly on the loom.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page