Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   March 2012 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16974-march-2012/)
-   -   Crafty Mamas - Whatcha' making? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16974-march-2012/1327124-crafty-mamas-whatcha-making.html)

cameragirl 08-24-2011 06:47 PM

I am working on a gift for my cousin's shower. She's expecting her first, a boy, in November. This pattern is so adorable, and you can scale it down for an infant if you use the blue loom. I will probably make one for us once we know the sex so that I can pick the colors. (Normally I keep earth tones on hand.)

http://blog.madebytelaine.com/2009/10/rawr.html

Janel47 08-24-2011 07:57 PM

Awww... so cute!  Me, I'm doing NOTHING and it's kinda driving me crazy.  Oh well, that's just life right now.  I'll find time once DH and DD1 are into their school schedules and they both just started today.  I got about 3/4 of the way done with knitting a baby blanket, but then stopped.  I want to at least have some hats and a sleepsack knit before the baby comes. 

cameragirl 08-24-2011 08:05 PM

Yeah, I understand the being busy. We are waiting for HS curriculum to come in the mail, and then we're off and running with DD's kindergarten year. I still need to finish a quilt I started for my sister's baby shower last year. To be fair, my husband misplaced the fabric (put it really high above my head) and it took a long time for me to find it. I just need to cut the batting, pin it all, and sew the edges.

As for crafting for my own baby...I'm having a hard time with that. I was in the middle of knitting a third hat for the baby when I miscarried last time. Hopefully I'll be able to get past that soon. I'd like to make some diaper covers and maybe some cotton inserts for the AIO's.

Kyamo 08-25-2011 06:10 AM

I started knitting a baby sweater before I knew I was pregnant (I had been avoiding making anything before that because I was getting really bitter about TTC), then in the middle of the sweater I found out I was pregnant.  Maybe it was good luck.  love.gif  It's finished now, but I haven't taken a picture of it yet.

I also just bought some fabric to make myself a belly band (similar to the Bella band) since I'm getting close to not being able to button anything, but I'm still too small for maternity pants.  

Years ago I made a couple of stretchy wrap carriers.  

I don't have anything on the needles right now for baby though.  

cocoabean8 08-25-2011 09:57 AM

Reusable Sandwich and Snack bags are on the sewing table at the minute!!

sh118 08-25-2011 02:14 PM

cocoabean8 - are you using a pattern or did you make up your own?  I have been wanting to make some sandwich bags, but not sure what style...

Everlong753 08-25-2011 02:23 PM

I just bought some super fun new sewing books and now I'm gathering a bunch of fabric to dye for clothes, toys and blankies.  

But first, I am supposed to be working on my sister's gift, she's getting a handspun and knit cocoon and a cashmere bootie/hat set for her baby that is due in about 4 weeks.    

Kyamo- what kind of fabric are you using for the Belly Band? I was about to go buy one... but not if I don't have too!

Kyamo 08-25-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong753 View Post

Kyamo- what kind of fabric are you using for the Belly Band? I was about to go buy one... but not if I don't have too!

Cotton/spandex.

Dandy Lion 08-25-2011 07:40 PM

I'm knitting my second of a couple of baby hats for some twin nephews that will be born sometime in the next couple of weeks. I just finished up a sling for a friend, and I'm going to start some socks for my dd. Then I'm going to knit some socks for a friend, and make some more baby hats. I just got this book: http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Beanies-Happy-Little-Heads/dp/0823099032/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314326397&sr=8-1 and so far I'm in love!

amberskyfire 08-25-2011 07:41 PM

I'm working on a yo-yo quilt using old fabric scraps. It's a lot of fun because I can take it anywhere with me and sit and work while I watch DD. It's a nice, relaxing craft.

JunebugsMom 08-25-2011 08:17 PM

I am 13 weeks tomorrow and still feeling too sick to do any crafting whatsoever!  Even knitting makes my nausea worse!  crap.gif

cameragirl 08-26-2011 05:36 PM

The eyeballs for that hat did NOT turn out right. It said that it could be adapted for an infant hat, but didn't provide directions on how to downsize the eyes or scales. I have this GIANT eyeball, and now my husband things I'm going to make him a cyclops hat.eyesroll.gif

mollsworth 08-26-2011 10:54 PM

May I submit a 2nd vote for a cyclops hat? :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameragirl View Post

The eyeballs for that hat did NOT turn out right. It said that it could be adapted for an infant hat, but didn't provide directions on how to downsize the eyes or scales. I have this GIANT eyeball, and now my husband things I'm going to make him a cyclops hat.eyesroll.gif

cameragirl 08-31-2011 07:02 PM

I might let DH make his own hat, and he can keep the wonky cyclops eye for the hat. smile.gif I just found out my cousin's shower is on the 9th, and I will be stuck in the infusion center next week or in bed. I'm heading off to Walmart to see if they have any decent green yarn for a sleep sack and hat that resemble a pea pod. DH really wants me to make a fire hydrant sack because baby's dad is a fireman, but that sounds complicated. Being sleepy and achy doesn't go well with complicated.

This is the sack I made for my nephew last year, with my dad holding the nephew. My BIL is a huge football fan, so it is a little football. I wish I had gotten a better photo of him in it, but it was super cold that day. Oh yeah...and Dad is playing tough guy. wink1.gif

5208875310_9ae962308f.jpg
IMG_8150 by JJordanPhotography,

Janel47 09-01-2011 05:43 AM

How cute!  I don't think the pattern link posted.  Maybe try separating it out with spaces.

cameragirl 09-01-2011 09:49 AM

Darn it. I've been having issues with posting links on here lately. Let's try that again. It is a super easy pattern, so even beginner's could do a good job at it. The sack is the bulk of the work, and the hat takes about an hour. I'm making this sack by doubling up worsted weight yarn. The football sack was made with doubled up chunky yarn that is kind of curly, and very soft.

http://www.blogster.com/nittineedles/baby-cuddle-sack-on-loom-free-pattern

*There are links out there for mamas that are more coordinated with knitting and crochet needles than I am, too. smile.gif

cameragirl 09-03-2011 05:30 PM

The pea pod is coming along. I'm trying to decide if I want to do a curly-q at the top of the hat, or if I should make a little tassel. I kind of like a tassel or puff ball...but whatever is easiest. I wish I had kept my little cord knitter. I'm about 1/4 of the way through the sac, but I'm taking my time.

Janel47 09-04-2011 08:36 AM

I think i-cording is WAY easier than trying to make a tassel that won't fall apart.  I can never get those tight enough.  I-cording is simple as can be if you have a double-pointed needle.  Just knit 3 sts, slide to the other end and k 3 sts again, continue until it's long enough and BO.  Each time you slide it, you are joining the ends of the work, so it ends up tube shaped.  I just knot it to get a curled look, or if you want actual curls, I think that's best done by crocheting. :)

OK, time to finish that blanket... I think you have inspired me that it's not the only thing I want done before he/she gets here!  :)  I'll just have to make weekends my baby crafting time since weekdays are allotted to waldorf doll making.

cameragirl 09-04-2011 09:50 AM

I can't knit worth a darn, but I can make a cord by crocheting. I'll figure something out. smile.gif

Kyamo 09-04-2011 11:17 AM

When you said puffball, did you mean a pom pom? Pom poms take patience, but they aren't difficult. Here's a tutorial. Use more yarn than you think you need, and tie tightly.

cameragirl 09-04-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyamo View Post

When you said puffball, did you mean a pom pom? Pom poms take patience, but they aren't difficult. Here's a tutorial. Use more yarn than you think you need, and tie tightly.

LOL - yes, a pom pom. smile.gif

jannamo 09-04-2011 12:12 PM

I'm feeling too superstitious to start anything for the baby yet, but I did download the nursing/maternity top from Megan Nielsen for me:

http://shop.megannielsen.com/category/sewing-patterns

It only comes in S-L, so I'm hoping the L is big enough for me, I'm a tall size 14, so we'll see. I've got a nice stretchy, thin knit to make it out of, but I've only gotten as far as tracing and cutting out the pattern so far.

I'm hoping to make a floor quilt for baby with my Mom, but we haven't started yet.

cameragirl 09-04-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannamo View Post

I'm feeling too superstitious to start anything for the baby yet, but I did download the nursing/maternity top from Megan Nielsen for me:

http://shop.megannielsen.com/category/sewing-patterns

It only comes in S-L, so I'm hoping the L is big enough for me, I'm a tall size 14, so we'll see. I've got a nice stretchy, thin knit to make it out of, but I've only gotten as far as tracing and cutting out the pattern so far.

I'm hoping to make a floor quilt for baby with my Mom, but we haven't started yet.

I can understand that. I started loom knitting hats as soon as I found out I was pregnant last time...and they're still hard to look at. I haven't made anything for this baby yet, just the project for my cousin's shower.

cameragirl 09-04-2011 02:23 PM

Thank you for the link, btw. I've been in a bit of a daze, so I know I am not making the most sense. On the plus side, the sac is about half-way complete. I noticed a missed stitch that is bugging me, though. I'm tempted to get some felt circles to sew on as pea pods...might have to dig through my stash to see if we have any here already. (Or I could use pom poms as the peas...haven't decided.)

Janel47 09-05-2011 02:40 PM

It occurs to me that the main reason I can't get them to work is I don't use wool (allergy) so pom poms like to slip apart of their own accord.  I always end up using soft slippery yarns because they feel so much better than scratchy synthetics.  :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyamo View Post

I pulled out my blanket yesterday and it is so close to being done, I can't believe I stopped!  lol!  Well, once the main part is done I have to crochet the edges and I am not a crocheter at all, so that might take me the rest of the pregnancy. 

cameragirl 09-05-2011 06:47 PM

I either use soft animal fiber, or a really soft synthetic. I despise the scratchy, cheap synthetics. If they're drying out my hands while I'm knitting, there is no way I'm wearing it or putting it on a child. I got my grandma's knitting machine and yarn stash last year, and it had been stored for nearly 15 years after her death. It broke my heart to toss the yarn, but it had grown weak and scratchy.

I like the tassel on this cocoon, but it isn't practical for every day use. I wouldn't leave a baby to sleep in it, especially because of the length of the tassel. The cocoon/sac I'm making is a standard e-wrap stitch on the loom, so it is a tighter knit that fingers won't get all caught up in.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/77603931/sprout-crochet-photography-cocoon-photo?ref=sc_2

cameragirl 09-05-2011 10:03 PM

Woohoo! The sac is done. I ended up making a crocheted chain, knotting it in the middle, and tied that onto the end of the sac. I'll do the same for the hat. That way I don't have to worry about it unraveling if she needs to wash it. I'm going to start on the hat, and I'll get some pictures to post when it is all done. I can breath a big sigh of relief now though - the hardest part is done. joy.gif

Janel47 09-06-2011 08:29 AM

Good job!  :) 

Janel47 09-09-2011 01:04 PM

OK... so the knitting on my blanket is done but the fabric I bought to line the back just shreds when I try to attach it via crochet (it's something like minkee).  So... I can either leave it as a one-sided blanket that's pretty on one side and full of seams on the other (it's knit blocks quilted together) or I can sew the fabric to the blanket with a satin blanket edge.  What would you ladies do?

bcblondie 09-11-2011 02:53 PM

That sack is adorable!

I'm new to crochet. I've only ever made flowers for scrapbooking with. But I got the urge to make some headbands. My first one I guess my yarn was too thin. But the second is better.

DSC02588.JPG

DSC02613.JPG