Twins? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-25-2011, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When I told my 4yo about the baby, I asked if he thought it was a girl or boy.  He said "both."  bigeyes.gif   I'll be 10w this weekend and my belly is already sticking way out there.  I know showing early isn't unusual in a second pregnancy but suddenly I'm nervous - especially with the heightened nausea and the sudden increase I've had in fatigue.   Then I started thinking about my dad being one of two sets of fraternal twins.

I suppose there is no way to know until my visit and quite possibly not until the 18-20w ultrasound.    My midwife appointment isn't for a couple of weeks.

What I'm really wondering is if this is just a normal fear or if there is some intuitive process going on!

#2 of 12 Old 08-25-2011, 07:36 PM

I'm going to go with this being a normal fear. And statistically there should be a few sets of twins in our group. I'm a little worried, but there's only one set on my side of the family...

Happily married to my soul mate, and a mommy of two girls + another baby due in June!

5****10****15****20****25****30****35**stillheart.gif*40

#3 of 12 Old 08-25-2011, 08:18 PM

Ummm I'm most definitely freaking out.  I've been in full maternity gear since 8 wks and I'm only getting bigger by the day.  My weight has literally stayed the same so I know I'm not eating too much.  I have felt so exhausted that I can barely keep my eyes open without chugging copious amounts of caffeine.  My husband was a twin and my great aunt was also.  Twins skip a generation and my generation is the one to have 'em. 

Oh lord, If I have twins I might literally lose my mind!

treehugger.gifnovaxnocirc.gifdp_femalesling.GIFwool.giflotbirth.gifcaffix.gifribbonjigsaw.gifcd.gif

#4 of 12 Old 08-25-2011, 09:27 PM

I was worried early on too because the pregnancy was so different and I started showing so early.  They did an US at 10 weeks for dates though and confirmed there is only one baby - measuring big, but just one.  There are no twins in my family though, so I knew the chances were slim, but I was still a little nervous.

#5 of 12 Old 08-25-2011, 09:30 PM

Twin facts can be confusing... twins don't actually skip generations. Fraternal possibilities are only down the female line (the tendency to ovulate more than one egg) and don't follow any guy lines in families at all. Identical twins are considered chance. My mom had twins (fraternal) and thus I have an increased possibility, but never have had fraternal twins. My daughter has a slightly increased chance, but my sons do not... since their contribution has nothing to do with multiple egg production or eggs splitting for identical twins.

Just thought I'd clarify because there are a number of wives' tales that can make us unduly excited or nervous.

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#6 of 12 Old 08-25-2011, 09:31 PM

((I am a fraternal twin. I always wanted them too... oh well! Not in my stars.))

#7 of 12 Old 08-27-2011, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthFree View Post

Twin facts can be confusing... twins don't actually skip generations. Fraternal possibilities are only down the female line (the tendency to ovulate more than one egg) and don't follow any guy lines in families at all. Identical twins are considered chance. My mom had twins (fraternal) and thus I have an increased possibility, but never have had fraternal twins. My daughter has a slightly increased chance, but my sons do not... since their contribution has nothing to do with multiple egg production or eggs splitting for identical twins.

Just thought I'd clarify because there are a number of wives' tales that can make us unduly excited or nervous.

Fraternal twinning is caused by a gene on the X chromosome.  This gene can cause hyper-ovulation, when a woman's ovaries release more than one egg per cycle.  It is possible for a woman to inherit this gene from either parent.  It is true that a father has no increased chance of fathering fraternal twins with this gene (since he obviously can't hyper-ovulate) but he can pass it on to his daughters.  So the genes don't skip a generation but the twins, themselves can *appear* to.

My grandma may have had this tendency because she had more than one set of fraternal twins.  If so, it is *possible* my dad passed it to me.   The overall chance is still probably small though. :)

#8 of 12 Old 08-27-2011, 09:12 AM

yeahthat.gif on top of that if you have had identical twins you are more likely to have them again just because your body has the history of screwing up. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how many twins we get in our DDC!

twin boys born 11/28/08, pregnant with #3 due 3/13/12

#9 of 12 Old 08-27-2011, 07:03 PM

Bluebutterfly, this is not the information I learned in my classes, but I don't have any personal issue with the various twin thoughts. Carry on.

#10 of 12 Old 08-30-2011, 05:42 AM

Well, I've wondered the same thing. Especially when my 5 yr old niece announced my news slightly off by saying she was going to have new cousinS. I'm not sure why she added the S but yeah I'm starting to show a lot too....no twins on my moms side that I can think of. I might just be bloated a little. My husband's mom is a twin and she didn't have any twins when she had kids. 

#11 of 12 Old 09-02-2011, 06:10 AM

No twins here!!  I had an ultrasound yesterday and there's only one baby :-)  Such a relief. happytears.gif

treehugger.gifnovaxnocirc.gifdp_femalesling.GIFwool.giflotbirth.gifcaffix.gifribbonjigsaw.gifcd.gif

#12 of 12 Old 09-03-2011, 12:24 PM

I've always been terrified of twins for some reason, but we're definitely not having twins this time. My hcg counts and both scans are consistent with just one gummy bear growing.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page