Alternatives to conventional maternity wear which seems to all be quite low cut - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-31-2011, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Everyone,

I have been looking around in the shops for some maternity wear for myself and all I can see is stuff that is low cut.  I need things that are higher, like halterneck style or the like.

I have a skin condition which makes my skin quite red and at the moment, being newly pregnant and still on hormones from the IVF, it's flaring up.  The skin on my neck and chest (the area where a necklace would hang) is quite blotchy red at the moment and I usually look like I'm having an allergic reaction to something  greensad.gif  I can explain it away as something like Roseacea but it doesn't quite look like that. It looks like bad blushing which won't fade.  The sun makes it worse and hot days.

Scarves are my best friend.  Lots of ways to tie them providing I wear a higher cut top that hides most of my skin, the scarf does the rest, and there's heaps of pretty designs around, even for summer, stuff like silk is great.

Living in Australia, we've just headed into Spring so I'm going to be delivering at the end of summer.

Anyways, woe is me  shy.gif  what maternity wear can I get that will help me?  I'm thinking maybe blouses, but they'd look so old fashioned, but at least my poor skin will be protected from the sun and cover it a bit.  It gets tiresome having to explain my skin over and over every time someone asks.

Thanks

30 years old,  part time wheelchair.gif,  Living in Australia with my DH and belly.gif with IVF bubba #1 after a long long time of ttc.  Very grateful we've made it this far.  Due March 2012

I enjoy these activities:  sewmachine.gif     crochetsmilie.gif       geek.gif        greenthumb.gif

Planning on  bfinfant.gif      femalesling.GIF    cd.gif   

#2 of 13 Old 08-31-2011, 09:48 PM

I don't know what you have available there, but Motherhood Maternity and Old Navy usually have things that are higher. Ebay might be a good source for halter tops.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#3 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 05:37 AM

Or you could get the lower cut stuff and put a higher cami underneath.

bcblondie likes this.

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

#4 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

A cardigan that you can wear over a tank top might work - that way you can leave the cardigan off while at home, getting some relief from the heat, then slip it on when you're out and just button the top button or two. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#5 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 09:21 AM

With my last pregnancy I often would wear a simple plain maternity t-shirt.  I think I had one in white, dark green, navy, and black.  In my experience they can be easily dressed up or down depending on the occasion.  

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

#6 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

A cardigan that you can wear over a tank top might work - that way you can leave the cardigan off while at home, getting some relief from the heat, then slip it on when you're out and just button the top button or two. 

I did that a lot when I was pregnant with DD. I worked in a office so the nice shrug sweater dressed it up, and I could just take off the jacket too cool off on my break.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#7 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 11:57 AM

I find that tank tops can still show a lot of chest skin, but you can probably find a couple of higher necked t-shirts that should work. I had some good basic ones from Old Navy and Gap and I know Isabella Oliver has some if you want to spend a little more.

#8 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameragirl View Post

I did that a lot when I was pregnant with DD. I worked in a office so the nice shrug sweater dressed it up, and I could just take off the jacket too cool off on my break.

Me too, even before I was pregnant. I couldn't get along with my arsenal of cardigans. :-) They are the wardrobe band aid.  

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#9 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the suggestions.  I love the idea of wearing the low cut tops with a cami underneath.  You're right though, some of the camis are still lower cut.  Target have a range of fitted t-shirt type tops in loads of colours though.  I wear those on the weekends already lol because they are a bit higher cut.

I love cardigans too.  I can't get through work without mine.  The air conditioning is so cold even during summer!  I need a cardigan for the office and then I peel it off right before I go out for lunch.

30 years old,  part time wheelchair.gif,  Living in Australia with my DH and belly.gif with IVF bubba #1 after a long long time of ttc.  Very grateful we've made it this far.  Due March 2012

I enjoy these activities:  sewmachine.gif     crochetsmilie.gif       geek.gif        greenthumb.gif

#10 of 13 Old 09-02-2011, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Also you might have luck googling modest maternity clothes.  Not sure if there is a modesty movement in Australia but in parts of the US it is more prevalent (i.e. among Mormons and some conservative Christian and Jewish sects).  They usually have long skirts and shirts with high necks.  Here is a link to one resource I found - good luck!  http://www.hearthandfarm.com/maternityUKAU.html

#11 of 13 Old 09-04-2011, 12:11 AM

What about something like this? You could probably make some if you can't buy them. http://www.trycamisecret.com/default.asp?tcode=asp3&CD=CD46-115&bhcp=1

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#12 of 13 Old 09-04-2011, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post

What about something like this? You could probably make some if you can't buy them. http://www.trycamisecret.com/default.asp?tcode=asp3&CD=CD46-115&bhcp=1

Wow! What a wonderful idea.  I didn't know things like this existed.  Thanks!!

#13 of 13 Old 09-04-2011, 01:42 PM

In the old days, ladies used to safety pin handkerchiefs to their bra straps in a similar way.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page