Dental work during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-02-2011, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found out that I have tooth with a previous filling, a new cavity, and a crack in the tooth, and my dentist is recommending a crown. I know there's definitely some worry about disturbing old metal fillings, but I think this one is a composite. I'm also worried about the gases and such released from the adhesive and materials used in the crown might pose a hazard to the baby. I'm 12w5d now and my dentist wanted to go ahead and get it done rather than wait and risk the tooth cracking when I'm either very pregnant or have a newborn. He's not worried about any toxicity, but I'm wondering if he really knows. Anyone have any experience or info to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 09-02-2011, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Most are pretty up to date on toxicity now, especially if they're younger and graduated more recently. Most dentists are aware now that they are also exposed to the fumes, so safer materials are being used. I would probably go for it, especially since a cracked tooth is miserable. That will lead to an extraction, which would be the complete pits to go through while you're pregnant. I had my 12 year molar pulled recently and the socket preserved for an implant when we have the money.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#3 of 11 Old 09-02-2011, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

I just found a variety of other threads addressing this topic elsewhere on the site, but none specifically addressing the chemicals used with a crown. I've had one before and just by the smell my impression was that it was a whole different and more noxious smell than plain old fillings. So I guess I'm looking for any info on crowns during pregnancy in particular.

Thanks!
#4 of 11 Old 09-02-2011, 12:02 PM

The glue in particular is what smells from what I've noticed. We always get a print out with the types of chemicals used and the possible side effects. I would ask the dentist for a printout on what he'd like to use for the crown, since individual preference and the tooth location can vary. You can also ask that he use a dam while cleaning out the tooth to prevent anything from getting down your throat.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#5 of 11 Old 09-02-2011, 12:41 PM

I'm in the middle of getting some dental work done, but waited for 2nd trimester.  If you need to get numbed, I would recommend getting a note from your doctor/midwife that says you can't use novocaine with epinephrine during your pregnancy, as it heightens your and the baby's heartrates.  They have safer alternatives.  i don't know about crown glue, so that's all I've got.  I'm just getting fillings done.

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

#6 of 11 Old 09-02-2011, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Thats a tough call.  Is he sure your tooth will break within 6 more months?

I went to one conventional dentist for a filling and when I left I had a migraine for 2 days.  I switched to a holistic dentist and whatever they used only took about 1/4 as much and my head hurt for only a few hours.   Also in my experience they have had more studies and research on hand about the possible risks/side effects of chemicals and the whole mercury issue.  Maybe its worth a shot to look for one and see what they can tell you?  

Lisa- mom to 4 boys, expecting our 5th surprise in May 
#7 of 11 Old 09-04-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everyone. The dentist makes no guarantees, but I know I would hate to deal with a broken tooth at 39 weeks, or even worse with a 3 day old infant. I've had a crown with him before I suffered no ill effects that I noticed anyway, other than the general discomfort and pain of having most of a tooth drilled away and replaced. My last one was quite painful for a very long time. One other reason I'm leaning towards just doing it is that he said this one might be less painful if we do it now since the tooth is less damaged now, which might not be the case if I wait.

At my appointment for the temp crown I will be 14w4d, so I'm leaning towards just getting it done, but I'll keep you all posted.
#8 of 11 Old 09-04-2011, 12:03 PM

Good luck. I had an abscessed molar at 38 weeks...it definitely is no fun. I ended up with antibiotics, but was in a ton of pain. I had to call the OB to get pain medicine because the dentist refused to work on the tooth or provide pain meds because I was at term. I ended up getting it fixed a few weeks after DD was born. (And ditched that jerk of a dentist, btw.)

#9 of 11 Old 09-04-2011, 09:38 PM

I just went to the dentist on Saturday and I have a cracked tooth too! I also have a cavity.  The dentist said he will go ahead and fix the cavity, just not use novocaine(sp?) and that we will wait on the crown for the other tooth.  He didn't even discuss doing it before baby comes.  I don't know much about dentistry and perhaps there are different degrees on cracks that dentists can gauge.  I don't really have any other input than to share what my dentist said.  

#10 of 11 Old 09-04-2011, 10:15 PM

It would definitely depend on the location of the tooth, and how bad the crack is. Somehow in the three weeks between my pregnancies, I cracked a new crown in half by getting a lollipop stuck to it. I think the crown was damaged when they had a really tough time getting my 12 year molar out, and that caused it to crack. Anyways, sometimes it can wait...sometimes it can't like my crown. The dang thing was cutting into my cheek and the dentist was surprised I didn't call him over the weekend for an emergency appointment. But I digress...

#11 of 11 Old 09-05-2011, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, mine has another filling already in the tooth, hence why he wants to do the crown. I'm pretty skeptical, but I think he's probably right on this one.

@cameragirl, that sucks! Crowns are no fun.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page