Are you going to find out the sex? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-09-2011, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is our first pregnancy.  At first, we couldn't wait until we got to find out the sex, but now, we're thinking about waiting until our little jellybean is born.  With his son, they decided to know the sex.  We want to know because it helps with planning and showers and the like, but waiting is more traditional and keeps up the suspense.  What are y'all going to do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 11:03 AM

I found out with the first two.  I have always been a bit of a super planner when it comes to my kids.  I thought I HAD to know, until a few days before DD2's ultrasound and I suddenly changed my mind, but that was too late for DH and I couldn't talk him into waiting.  :) 

Now... I am so glad we're not finding out!  It is making the first half of the pregnancy much more laid back because I'm not on pins and needles waiting to find out.  I can super-plan all I want to.  Buying clothes is hardest because there is so little actual neutral stuff out there since almost everyone finds out, but virtually everything else (for me at least) is easy enough to plan for without knowing the gender.  I am really looking forward to finally having that moment when we see our baby for the first time and finding out then.  It definitely seems worth it to me! 

Showers aren't hard at all... my sister didn't find out for most of her kids and I helped throw her showers, usually before the birth.  Baby "stuff" is easy to get gender neutral, and easier to sell or pass on if it is.  She got some neutral clothes, but more often people would buy her one boy and one girl outfit with receipts to exchange one after the baby came.  There are plenty of neutral shower themes.  Or if you could just wait until after the baby comes. 

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

Old 09-09-2011, 12:20 PM

We found out with #1 and not with #2 and we are not finding out with this one.  

With our first, I knew  from the start she was a girl so when we were asked if we wanted to know, i said, "yes, just tell me she is a girl"  and they did!

With my second, I also knew from the start that he was a boy but still wanted to wait.  i had no question in my mind as to the gender but it was amazing to see the proof when he was born.  It was the BEST feeling, which is why we will do it again!

Old 09-09-2011, 01:55 PM

Any premonitions this time?  Like with my other two, I originally thought girl but have been regularly flip-flopping ever since, usually thinking boy.  So probably girl.  :)  DH has been adamant that it's a girl all 3 times. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolafanana View Post

We found out with #1 and not with #2 and we are not finding out with this one.  

With our first, I knew  from the start she was a girl so when we were asked if we wanted to know, i said, "yes, just tell me she is a girl"  and they did!

With my second, I also knew from the start that he was a boy but still wanted to wait.  i had no question in my mind as to the gender but it was amazing to see the proof when he was born.  It was the BEST feeling, which is why we will do it again!

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

Old 09-09-2011, 02:41 PM

I've had lots of gender/baby dreams. The first was my grandmother (who passed away) with TWO babies. Talk about freaked me out! The next I had a boy and recently I gave birth to a 10 lb baby girl in my Grandmother's (same one) living room! I feel like I'm having a girl and I would be so happy about that since I'm naming my next DD after my G-ma! 

A boy would be very appreciated though. I'm torn! 

Old 09-09-2011, 02:41 PM

Oh and we are DEFINITELY finding out the sex! 

Old 09-09-2011, 02:52 PM

I would love to be suprised at delivery but we'll find out.  This baby is such a bonus it doesn't make a difference to me what we're having, but everyone else is so anxious for a girl.  I hope finding out halfway will give them plenty of time to get over being disappointed if we are having another boy. I knew ds #2 was a boy but I'm getting nothing with this babe.  So either way I guess it will be a suprise.

Most of our stuff was gender neutral just because I prefer plain things.  I didn't find it difficult to find things online.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

Old 09-09-2011, 03:00 PM

We found out the sex with our first.  There are no girls on DH's side of the family and everyone absolutely thought DD was a boy, it was a great surprise! 

This time we decided not to have any ultrasounds, unless it is medically necessary of course, so we are not finding out.  At first I was a little bummed, but now we are super excited.  I cannot wait to hear "it's a ____"! orngbiggrin.gif  My family is a little disappointed, they really want to start purchasing, but that is another bonus.  Last time we had EVERY piece of baby gear you could imagine and barely used anythng except for the carriers and the co-sleper, so we are trying to aquire less this time round. thumb.gif

Mama to Madelynn 8/16/2009 and awaiting buggy #2 March/2011 , partner to DH

Old 09-09-2011, 04:01 PM

We are finding out the sex. We are so sure it's a girl that if they do tell us it's a boy, we'll be shocked. I have a son, so we'll need to get baby girl clothing. I also have a doting mother and mother in law who love to shop and a baby girl is too good an excuse for them to pass up.

Mom to two boys and expecting a babygirl.gif in May, 2014!
Old 09-09-2011, 07:30 PM

I think I could handle waiting if I skipped the 20week ultrasound altogether.  But  it would drive me crazy to know that the technician knew the sex of my baby and I didn't!!  

We found out with DD and I think it was a good thing for me- I had it in my head that I'd be having a boy- in both my family and DHs the oldest is a boy, so it was hard for me to visualize our family with an oldest daughter.  I wasn't sad to learn that she was a girl, just surprised- it was nice to have 20 weeks to get used to the idea and very excited about meeting her.  We will find out again with this baby.  

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

Old 09-09-2011, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're planning on scheduling a gender determination u/s at or after 16 weeks. My OB has their own u/s suite, but they don't allow kids. That leaves DD feeling really left out, since she can't go to appointments, either. She's totally into babies right now, too. She's been watching every single show about babies on tv with the passion of a future midwife. Otherwise, we'd probably wait until the anatomy scan to find out.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
Old 09-09-2011, 08:08 PM

I want to find out, but DH is adamant on waiting for the big reveal.  But since he can never make any of my appointments, I'll be all alone at my 20 week ultrasound... I mean, if the tech just sort of puts it up there on the screen, I've looked at plenty of US to know what I'm looking at if it's a clear shot... If I get that kind of clarity, I'll be cool, but won't tell DH since I won't be "sure", but I just sort of want to know.  I keep hearing how it's such an amazing feeling hearing at birth, but I'm sure I'll get over that!  As for stuff?  Seriously, we are not buying anything at all.  I'll probably get a new Ergo or beco or something because our old one is really getting worn out, and maybe a special gender neutral coming home outfit, but other than that, I'll be washing a lovely assortment of cute newborn things that both DS and DD wore, and new baby will be undoubtedly be very comfy in them.  :) 

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
Old 09-10-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janel47 View Post

Any premonitions this time?  Like with my other two, I originally thought girl but have been regularly flip-flopping ever since, usually thinking boy.  So probably girl.  :)  DH has been adamant that it's a girl all 3 times. 

i feel really strongly that this is a girl.  I will actually be really shocked if it's a boy!  because of this, a big part of me wants to find out to see if I'm right but in the long run, i love the guessing game and that beautiful surprise at the end!

Old 09-10-2011, 09:52 AM

I think I'm growing a girl. Some people say boy, but most everyone close to me thinks it is a girl, too.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
Old 09-10-2011, 12:38 PM

as long as the babe is cooperative we are going to find out. we are hoping to have the anatomy scan around 20 weeks, and that be our one and only ultrasound. if for some reason they can't see the sex, then i guess we will just have to wait. i would really like to know so that i can plan for a boy if thats the case. if its a girl, i'm all set. my intuition tells me girl..... we'll see!

Lauren

bellycast.gif 

Old 09-10-2011, 01:54 PM

Nope.  Not a chance.  We didn't find out with the other two and since we have one boy and one girl, it is no big rush to buy clothes.  I love surprises!!

Old 09-10-2011, 02:23 PM

We're not finding out. We found out with both of our DD's even though I wanted the second one to be a surprise. I had no feeling one way or the other with DD1 but I knew for sure with DD2 that she was a girl. I knew DH was really hoping to have a boy with #2 so I think it helped him to have some time to get over the little bit of disappointment. This time we both are happy to wait until the birth to find out. I think DH is just expecting that we are having a 3rd girl but I really feel like this one is a boy. I am planning on telling my midwife not to announce the sex when he/she is born. I'd like to look and find out for myself.

As a fun side note, yesterday DD1 finally "got it" that mommy has a baby in her tummy. And today she is insisting that she is having a baby brother. So I guess she has the same intuition that I do. So I guess we'll see  winky.gif

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

Old 09-10-2011, 03:05 PM

I had a dream last night that my baby was about 2 days old and I was trying to figure out if I had a boy or a girl... I finally came to the conclusion that it was a girl because I was using a nursing pillow covered in princess fabric.  HAHA!  Pregnancy dreams crack me up.  Not to mention, this little nursing session was in the middle of my attempts to bring to light a conspiracy about an astronaut masquerading as a bible study leader in order to use a church to store his spaceship.  dizzy.gif

Old 09-10-2011, 03:37 PM

We found out with DS and never regretted it. But with my last pregnancy (which miscarried) they told us we couldn't find out anymore because people were aborting. So when I got pregnant this time I assumed the rule was the same. I got used to the idea of not finding out. So when they told us we COULD... well now we don't want to lol.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
Old 09-10-2011, 05:37 PM

We got rid of a lot of things, thinking we wouldn't be able to get pregnant again. I have all the girl clothes, but for a baby born in late July, not early March. I'm sure a lot of it would be useable with layering and what not...but we'd be out of luck if it were a boy. I was given only a few outfits that were unisex, and the few I bought were for Halloween. Were it not for the tight budget and needing to shop, and my family planning a shower, I think I could handle waiting. It seems my husband and everyone else can't, though. wink1.gif

Old 09-10-2011, 09:40 PM

We found out with DD mainly because DH had me do that stupid pee in a cup gender test and we wanted to see if it was right. It was wrong. So we had a girl. This time around we are being super sneaky and might find out but tell everyone that we didn't. We're torn. After we found out with DD my shower was a pink nightmare (despite telling everyone no pink) and we really didn't get many of the neutral things we were hoping to receive (neutral mainly because we wanted to be able to use them for #2 or pass them along to someone else).

Since this pregnancy is so different from DDs I think it's a boy and kinda want to find out just to see if I'm right or not. Plus we only had the one girl name and used it, so if it's a girl we need to come up with another one. Not a big deal, but I did like being able to call DD by her name before she was born. It made everything a little bit more real to me.

Mom to DD 12/2009; married to wonderful hubby 1/07.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:56 PM

DH wants to know. He always wants a boy. I think hes collecting them;) We have two! LOL DD, DS1 and I were pulling for a girl. Of course in the end it really doesn't matter to me. Just as long as SHE is healthy;) (joke BTW.)

I want team green and I might get my wish. My OB's office won't do the scan until 22 weeks. So I might just not even be there anymore by that scan:) I just can't wait to get away from those people!

Living a life like no one else, with my husband, and all our children
Old 09-10-2011, 09:57 PM

Oh and we had a surprise with DD. The boys we knew both times. I have to say the surprise is the most awesome! It give you something to look forward to at the end of that pushing. Something you didn't know you were getting. A boy or a girl!

Living a life like no one else, with my husband, and all our children
Old 09-11-2011, 09:52 AM

We're going to find out because I hate surprises, and my dh wants to know too. Everyone is pretty certain it's a boy--including me. My grandma passed away a month ago, but during the spring and early summer she frequently told the nurses and my mother she was holding my baby boy.

As far as baby gear goes, I'll be getting gender neutral things whenever possible because we do plan on having another baby in the future. My dh's family is huge, and so I'll likely end up with 3 different family showers, plus a work shower, and possibly a friend shower. I didn't have a single shower during my first pregnancy, so this time will be quite different. I'm not planning on buying any clothes until after the showers.I gave away all of my baby stuff years ago, and it doesn't look like anyone held onto things (which is totally fine).

Happily married to my soul mate, and a mommy of two girls + another baby due in June!

5****10****15****20****25****30****35**stillheart.gif*40

Old 09-11-2011, 02:29 PM

I've never found out before.  With my first, they didn't tell anyone, so it was decided for us, but I think that's what I wanted, anyway.  Since then, we've always wanted to wait to find out.  Which is so not how I usually am; I was the type of kid to go snooping for gifts before Christmas and birthdays.  I hate not knowing something if it's there to know.  Which is why I start trying out the pregnancy tests at, like, day 25 of my cycle.  But I've always liked the idea of finding out at the birth, plus I worry that the ultrasound is not 100% accurate.

This time, though, I'm awfully tempted to find out.  Mostly because I felt strongly that my youngest was a girl and had a name I was attached to picked out.  If this one is not a girl, I would like to have a couple of months to find a boy name we both like.  Which I guess we can do whether we know or not.  I may not even be having an ultrasound, though, so chances are we're waiting until the birth.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 09-12-2011, 05:36 AM

No way. smile.gif I love the surprise SO much, and it is in a perfect moment. My DH wants to know but he can't keep a secret... so we won't find out. I do think it's a little lady.

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

Old 09-12-2011, 09:27 AM

Yes, we plan to find out again this time. The main reason I want to find out is because I have a ton of girl stuff and if I'm having a boy, I want to be able to give it all to my SIL that is pregnant with twin girls. Also, all of our nursery stuff is pretty girly. I claimed over and over that I wasn't going to decorate it with girly things, but that's what ended up happening.

I kind of wish we'd waited until delivery with my first, but oh well. 

Old 09-13-2011, 11:41 PM

I asked DH to call and schedule an appointment for a gender determination ultrasound. We've got an appointment for the 26th. He sprung it on me tonight that he asked for a 3d/4d ultrasound. I showed him some pictures and explained that the baby would be a skinny little thing, but he's determined. Last time we tried for one at around 22-23 weeks, but my placenta was in the way. I'm hoping that it isn't this time, but we'll see. If it is, we'll just get the regular ultrasound and pay less. It's the same place we went with DD, and they were SO much nicer and informative than the radiology tech for the anatomy scan.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameragirl View Post

I asked DH to call and schedule an appointment for a gender determination ultrasound. We've got an appointment for the 26th. He sprung it on me tonight that he asked for a 3d/4d ultrasound. I showed him some pictures and explained that the baby would be a skinny little thing, but he's determined. Last time we tried for one at around 22-23 weeks, but my placenta was in the way. I'm hoping that it isn't this time, but we'll see. If it is, we'll just get the regular ultrasound and pay less. It's the same place we went with DD, and they were SO much nicer and informative than the radiology tech for the anatomy scan.

I am scheduled on the 26th too. Good luck!

I hope it's a boy for the sake of my 2 other boys, but for the first time my mother and I feel it's a girl. I really hope its a boy. Smallest reason being I just paid for a ton of boy items for my 27 month old and don't want to re buy everything for a girl [/cheap!!]

Mother of two boys and a stork-boy.gif on the way!

Old 09-14-2011, 12:06 AM

I'd be happy either way, but it would be easier on the wallet if we have another girl. I think it is a girl, DD thinks it is a girl, and DH won't say. One of my cousins randomly posted on Facebook that she thinks we're having a girl, too. So, I guess we'll see. smile.gif Now I'm anxious to get it over with, and two weeks seems so long!

User Tag List