Normal post-meal blood sugar? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-13-2011, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a question about blood sugar levels. Last time I had my infusion, they took blood immediately after disconnecting a bag of D5W that was being used for hydration. (Saline is incompatible.) The CNP I see in neurology was going over the labs with me, and commented that my blood sugar was out of the reference range. I saw that it was 120, and I think the lab messed up and marked it as a fasting sugar. Considering that they pulled blood immediately after disconnecting a bag of dextrose water, 120 actually isn't bad.

Today they took blood again to check my liver enzymes and other basic labs. They commented again that my blood sugar was "a little high". All we had in the house was kid cereal because I haven't felt like shopping, so I had a bowl of cereal before leaving. I had orange juice while they were trying for a half hour to get a good iv site, too. I'm not really surprised that it was elevated if they ran it as a fasting sugar again. My husband took the call and didn't ask what the level was, and I'm assuming it wasn't that bad if they didn't ask me to come back in for another test.

Anyways - what is considered an average blood sugar after a meal? I have a family history of diabetes, so I definitely want to keep an eye on it if it is an issue. I always get over a liter of D5W, which is 5% dextrose in water. I'm there for a long time, so I also have eaten lunch before the draw. When I go in next, I'm going to make sure that they run the test as a non-fasting blood sugar.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#2 of 11 Old 09-13-2011, 05:24 AM

I don't know anything about your current situation - but let me say, I have a son and a mother who are type 1 diabetics and 120 is considered just about perfect. Anything over 150 is getting high and over 200 is really high.

Good luck!

Homeschooling Mom of Matt, 20; Lydia, 19; Alex, 16; Liam, 14; Jack, 7; Kiara, 5; Seamus, 3 and ??? March 2013. http://mishahogan.com trekkie.gifbikenew.gifknit.gif

#3 of 11 Old 09-13-2011, 05:48 AM

I think its the same measurement whether is fasting or non-fasting blood sugar. You know the truth, because you know if you ate prior 8 (i am not sure about this) hours before the test. 120 immediately (or not after 1 hour) after something that causes blood sugar elevation (eating cereal, drinking juice, or the things you did) I think it's ok.

34 yr old mommy to Marina (4 Dec 07), excited for #2 in late March!
#4 of 11 Old 09-13-2011, 05:59 AM

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16422495.php

This website doesn't follow mainstream medicine's advice when it comes to blood sugar, but I think it's an interesting resource.
I have GD, and my 2 hour blood sugar reading would be 150+ after eating sugary cereal and orange juice. 120 is pretty good for that kind of carb load. If you are concerned, however, you could try testing yourself at home or go ahead and do the glucose tolerance test now.
I think "normal" fasting blood sugar is under 100.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#5 of 11 Old 09-13-2011, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I thought it was in the normal range after a meal, so I need to ask them about it when I go in. It would have been a little high for fasting, but doesn't seem to be abnormal after eating or getting sugar water.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#6 of 11 Old 09-13-2011, 03:35 PM

I'm worried about GD because I have family history. I'm going to get a monitor and start checking my levels soon. Mostly I find my blood sugar crashes and I get all shaky a lot more now that I'm preggo.

Happily married to my soul mate, and a mommy of two girls + another baby due in June!

5****10****15****20****25****30****35**stillheart.gif*40

#7 of 11 Old 09-13-2011, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't had anything that leads me to believe I have an issue with GD, and I didn't test positive last time. I just don't want them to have my charts say I'm having high blood sugar, when in reality I'm not. The muscle condition I have is linked to diabetes, but I don't carry the antibody that is present with the patients that have both SPS and diabetes. They still test my blood sugar any time I get blood work, though. For now it will be at the first and last day that I get treatments each month, so they'll have a close eye on it anyways.

Are you doing the GTT, Dandy Lion? It sounds more like you've got low blood sugar. Eating frequent, small meals and combining protein with carbs should help if you aren't already.

#8 of 11 Old 09-14-2011, 11:11 PM

As my midwives have told me, pregnancy is, by nature, a somewhat diabetic state.  If you have glucose meter, you can take 1 and 2 hour readings after every meal for about 4 or 5 days.   That is really the best way to get a quick, but fairly accurate, idea of glucose levels.   I've always skipped the GTT in lieu of random testing to watch levels but I know from that experience with #1 that it really is not that uncommon to have some readings that are a little high.  I wasn't considered having GD and my midwives weren't worried but I did change how I ate based on the numbers I saw.   I cut out some of my worst offenders (things like shredded wheat, ketchup, etc.), ate smaller meals, was sure to include protein at the start of every meal, etc.  Note that some people can eat things that other people can't.  It's hard to know what your worst offenders are without testing.

Overall, though, the point is, I honestly think those one-off tests (unless sky high) don't provide a reliable enough picture.  Aside from affordability and inconvenience, random glucose checks are a good way to know what is going on.  In lieu of that, you can just also just follow good dietary practices as if you had GD.   That is what I did when my numbers were borderline or occasionally a little high.

Pregnancy targets are a little lower I think - 95 for awakening (fasting), 140 for one hour past a meal, 120 for two hours past a meal

#9 of 11 Old 09-14-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameragirl View Post

Are you doing the GTT, Dandy Lion? It sounds more like you've got low blood sugar. Eating frequent, small meals and combining protein with carbs should help if you aren't already.

Though it doesn't quite make logical sense at first glance, low blood sugar is ironically a precursor state to type 2 diabetes.  Before you become diabetic, your body can go through a period of insulin resistance so the pancreas overreacts dumping too much insulin in the body (hyperinsulinemia) causing low blood sugar.  Eventually, though, the pancreas fails and type 2 diabetes results.   My grandma is a type 2 diabetic and my mom has had incidences of hypoglycemia, so she is probably headed that way.

But yes, same dietary practices apply.

#10 of 11 Old 09-30-2011, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

I asked today, and at my last draw, my sugars were at 121. Considering that I had sugary cereal and 12 oz. of orange juice, that actually is pretty good. They weren't worried at all since it isn't the most accurate way to test. I think that they're just looking for anything very out of the ordinary.

#11 of 11 Old 10-01-2011, 05:55 AM

I am sorry I haven't been on for a few days. But as the mother, sister, and Aunt of diabetics I assure you your numbers are just fine. When you see numbers in the upper 200's 4 hrs after eating anything then you should worry, As a pp mentioned pregnancy is considered a semi diabetic condition, Hormones can cause some crazy # spikes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page