Ob-gyn guidelines often based on opinion, weak data - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-18-2011, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ah, so reassuring. I knew this was often the case, but the proof is in the pudding. This reminds me of the recommendation to wait at least 3 months, if not longer after a miscarriage. That is based on 80 year old opinion, and not scientific data. Yet many doctors still repeat the same advice, even while multiple studies have suggested that you are more fertile in the three months after the miscarriage.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44556117/ns/health-womens_health/

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-18-2011, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am a little bummed about the article. I was so excited to see something in main stream media but thought the article fell short in facts. I wish they would have gave example of these practices. I do think the article is right which, is why I am happy that my doctor doesnt follow all the guidelines. I so wish there would have been more to this.

Chelsey Married to my Wonderful Husband Devin: Mama to James 9.7.08wild.gif , Joy 5.19.10 energy.gifTitus 3.37.12 biggrinbounce.gif10/07angel.gif  Macy dog2.gif : Expecting #4 belly.gif in August
#3 of 5 Old 09-18-2011, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

This was carried on the AP, so there are other articles out there. You're right, though. I was glad to see anything out in the mass media, though. Everything from GD care to VBACS is often based on opinion, very outdated information, or faulty studies.

I'm lucky to have found a more progressive OB that is more up-to-date and trusts a woman's body.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#4 of 5 Old 09-19-2011, 03:49 PM

Interesting.  I'm glad they're concluding that there is a need for more high-quality info, but I'm skeptical about how much of a difference it would make.  One of the big complaints made by women about OBs, and on of the big advantages of midwives, is the fact that OBs aren't practicing evidence-based medicine.  Which means the evidence is there, but they are not following it.  How many OBs still believe that episiotomies are preferable to natural tearing?  Or that women should labour in the lithotomy position?  Or that a c-section should be performed before other techniques are tried, like different positions?  And on and on.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#5 of 5 Old 09-19-2011, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

I hope that eventually, with enough evidence and revamped guidelines, new OB's will be trained correctly. Hopefully others will come around. I'm happy to have found an OB that so far has provided the most evidence based care that I've ever received. My perinatologist told me straight up that there is a serious lack of information available on many things related to OB care. If I had the choice with this pregnancy, I would have gone with a home-birth midwife, knowing that they are more likely to help you have a successful VBAC. (Especially with large babies.)

For example, they actually only know of 5-10 known teratogens which include things like Accutane and Thalidomide. The rest of the medication ratings are based off of studies that are often old, flawed, or non-existent. One of the medications I have to use to prevent muscle tears was causes cleft lip at 6x the acceptable human dose in rats. What does that even mean for humans? At that dose in humans, the mother would be in respiratory distress. Nobody wants to test in humans, but I'd at least like to be able to see more realistic studies performed if they must test animals.

I was really glad to see the ACOG step out and update the VBAC recommendations. Our c-section rate is ridiculous, and all due to misinformation and liability. Many of the changes in patient care have been brought on by patients themselves. Women demanded the right to be awake during their births, to have their husbands/partners present, to have pain relief (for better or worse), etc. Maybe this is much the same. Maybe we as women need to keep spreading the word however we can.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page