Birth Plans? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2011, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our original compromise (I wanted a homebirth, DH wanted a hospital) was a birthing center.  HOWEVER.... there's a new hospital just a few minutes away, that's SUPER baby friendly.  Rooming in, breastfeeding and natural births are the norm.  (The nurses joke the only thing they use the nursery for is to store the bassinets).  

As a doctor's daughter, I have some advantages most don't have.  My dad knows all the OB's in the area, and helped me pick one who's very... crunchy?  He'll know most of the nurses in the maternity ward, and has always had a talent for translating "doctor speak" into regular people speak.

I'm trying for a natural birth, but if I'm having a lot of trouble with pain, I'm willing to reconsider, though I haven't figured out exactly which options I'm most comfortable with.

My biggest things are all post-birth.  Baby straight to my chest.  Wait until the cord stops pulsing to cut it.  Do all washing and tests at my bedside (unless the baby needs to go to the NICU, s/he's not leaving my side).  No circumcision for a boy.  No Heb-B shot or eye drops (as there's zero chance of me having an STD).  Breastfeeding within the first hour at the latest.  And I got permission from the head of the maternity ward to bring cloth diapers!

Like I said though, as a doctors daughter I'm familiar with the medical world, and have always been raised "you know yourself better than your doctor does.  If you're worried about something, and your doc/nurse isn't listening, find another one", so the idea of coming in "conflict" with my doc/nurses doesn't worry me - it's my body and my birth.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List