When can you feel baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-01-2011, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just wondering.. I am 16 weeks today, and I was wondering when can I feel baby when I touch my belly? I lay down at night, and put my hands on my lower abdomen, and push down about an inch or so and wait to see if I can feel baby move, but I cannot. I think I can feel baby move, like rolling, but when I touch and push, I can't. When will I be able to? This is my first baby..if that matters. redface.gif
#2 of 12 Old 10-01-2011, 11:40 AM

It may be a few weeks. Your body size can make a difference, too. Do you feel kicks from the inside yet?

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#3 of 12 Old 10-01-2011, 11:53 AM

Well, in spite of being very fat, I've felt some of my babies (internally) very early, and this one I just felt from the outside (hand on my stomach) last night--at about 17 weeks.

A lot depends on your baby's position and where the placenta is, too.

Also, babies are all different.  Some are very avoidant of anything pressing into their space (hands, doppler, ultrasound wand), and others are, for lack of a better word, "interested" and may kick directly at that spot.  At about 20 weeks with my first child, dh had his arm draped over my belly as we were falling asleep, and I could feel that baby exploring all along the length of dh's arm, and then a very strong kick right to it.  Dh was amazed. :)

#4 of 12 Old 10-01-2011, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure if they are kicks, or just moving around.
#5 of 12 Old 10-01-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xosara View Post

I'm not sure if they are kicks, or just moving around.

I was feeling that for about 1.5 weeks before I felt an obvious kick, which was at 17 weeks. For me, the obvious kicks can be felt from the outside, the smaller movements can't.

ETA: I have a posterior placenta.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#6 of 12 Old 10-01-2011, 02:48 PM

I don't remember when we felt them outside last time...I can feel pushing on my uterus when I massage the round ligaments, though.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#7 of 12 Old 10-01-2011, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

I can feel my uterus when I push on it, but that's it.
#8 of 12 Old 10-01-2011, 07:05 PM

This is my 3rd and I haven't felt much movement from inside since 10 weeks. And I haven't felt it from the outside yet either. The placenta moved and I feel almost nothing. I'm 15 weeks. Last pregnancy, I was definately feeling consistent movement at this point. Looking forward to feeling definate movement soon :)

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#9 of 12 Old 10-01-2011, 09:49 PM

During my first pregnancy I felt my son kicking when I put my hand on my tummy for the first time at around 20 weeks.. Right now, I am 16 weeks and I can feel that rolling/fluttering feeling occasionally, starting about a week or so ago, but haven't felt anything from the outside just yet...

#10 of 12 Old 10-16-2011, 06:37 AM

I was about 16.5 weeks with my first pregnancy when I could feel movement.  It was more like 17.5 weeks this time and about 18.5 weeks when we could feel from the outside this time (we're just at 19 weeks now).  DH felt his first outside kick last night!

Birthed a beautiful baby boy, Ethan, 11/11/09.
#11 of 12 Old 10-16-2011, 06:41 PM

With my 1st, I didn't feel movement until 22 weeks- when I got my 20 week ultrasound the tech told me my placenta's position was likely the reason I wasn't feeling anything yet.  This time I've been feeling flutters since 16 weeks and today (17.5 weeks) I felt a solid kick.

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

#12 of 12 Old 10-17-2011, 10:28 PM

Dh is able to palpate my belly and feel the firmness where the baby is. You can tell a difference from the other side of my uterus, where it gives a little more. He hasn't really felt any kicks yet, though. Just a little fluttering and the shape of his body. DD swears up and down that she can feel the baby, but I think she wants to so bad that she does, ya know? smile.gif

The strange thing is that if I put my laptop near my belly button, I can sometimes feel the keyboard move when he kicks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page