Indulgences? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-02-2011, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What are your litte indulgences with this pregnancy? I LOVE caramel and marshmallows from a small husband & wife company down in So. Cal. I saw that they had caramel lollipops now, so I ordered some lollipops and "real" caramel. I got golden vanilla and Mayan chocolate. Sooo good. The lollipops last forever, too. Later this month, I should be getting some nougat for me, Neapolitan marshmallows for DD, and some sugar cookie marshmallows for DH. I figure that if I'm going to indulge in a little candy every day, I'd rather it at least be from "real food" ingredients than ingredients I don't know about.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011, 09:02 PM

I like dark chocolate & mint.  Yum.  Watermelon was kind of an indulgence; it's good for me & helped my nausea, but it was so expensive to buy as much as I did.

Eating something substantial at bedtime helped my nausea the next day, so dh would bring home burgers or subs occasionally.  I also stocked up on those little frozen entrees to eat at night.  Not healthy, but they really did help keep me full so I could eat better later.  I really wasn't into any kind of food prep at bedtime/2am when I woke up starving.

Those caramels sound yummy.  I sometimes look through the edibles on etsy; so many yummy looking treats. I have never tried to order anything, though; I don't know what the rules are about shipping food from the US to Canada, and I'm not looking them up, because if it's OK, I might not be able to resist.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 10-02-2011, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

so far my indulgences have been pretty tame. I drink a ton of organic orange juice (not cheap!) and dark chocolate as my only sugar indulgence.  My hub gets to drink all the good microbrew so, I can have 3 glasses of OJ a night if I wanna. 

Those caramels sound so good.  I've been thinking about making some homemade caramel apples.... I think you just convinced me. oh yum. 

Lisa- mom to 4 boys, expecting our 5th surprise in May 
Old 10-02-2011, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen View Post

Those caramels sound yummy.  I sometimes look through the edibles on etsy; so many yummy looking treats. I have never tried to order anything, though; I don't know what the rules are about shipping food from the US to Canada, and I'm not looking them up, because if it's OK, I might not be able to resist.

The USPS is HORRIBLE anymore. I waited a long time for the caramels because they suffered a miscarriage, and I was totally fine with that. We're in the same state, though, and once they shipped it should have taken a day or two. Instead, I emailed a week later to see if she could check on them. The post office returned 20 of their packages with flat rate shipping, saying they didn't pay enough. They weighed them, and sure enough, the postage was correct. Then they waited three days to even scan the package out to reship! I guess the USPS has been losing anything they mail to Canada unless people pay to upgrade to Priority Mail. Go figure. redface.gif/

I found them on Etsy, and they're featured a lot. They are sooo good. I don't order often, but it is worth it when I do.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
Old 10-03-2011, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dark chocolate (like 80-85%)! That's been pretty much the only "sweet" thing that has appealed to me honestly...I'm really loving the salty food though, so I have been trying to convince my body that sliced potatoes cooked in butter and salted is a suitable substitute for goldfish and chexmix which I am trying to avoid! 

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

Old 10-03-2011, 07:23 AM

I'm just starting to get my appetite back so I haven't been eating much at all. My only real indulgence has been frozen jalepeno poppers, heated up in the toaster oven. I think they are basically peppers and cheese product which is gross but I actually want them so I figure they're better than eating nothing. 

Normally I have a intense sweet tooth but I haven't been wanting anything in particular this pregnancy.  Homemade caramel and marshmallows do sound really good, though.  Have you ever had marshmallows wrapped in caramel?  Amazing!  And the best part is they are so rich you really can't eat more than one. ITA about real products - I like real butter, vanilla, cane sugar, eggs.

BirthIsAwesome - I like salty too.  Yesterday I made some popcorn for my kids and ended up eating some and it was great.  I air popped it and then put butter, nutritional yeast, salt, and dried dill on it.  If you mixed some butter, worchestershire sauce, and garlic powder and put that on the popcorn it would taste like Chex Mix.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

Old 10-03-2011, 09:11 AM

Cappucino mix latte on cool mornings. It's basically coffee version of hot chocolate (which I can't have due to chocolate intolerance). I eat well for the rest of the day, but the sugar fix in the morning is wonderful. LOL! Don't tell my midwife! Oh nevermind... I tell her. This is BY FAR the healthiest I've ever eaten during a pregnancy so I'm ok with it. smile.gif

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

Old 10-03-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageR View Post

If you mixed some butter, worchestershire sauce, and garlic powder and put that on the popcorn it would taste like Chex Mix.

bigeyes.gif

I did not know worcestershire sauce was a common ingredient in snack mixes. Thank you for warning me, I am very allergic to fish (worcestershire sauce has anchovies) and I didn't know I had to watch out for snack mixes.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyamo View Post

bigeyes.gif
I did not know worcestershire sauce was a common ingredient in snack mixes. Thank you for warning me, I am very allergic to fish (worcestershire sauce has anchovies) and I didn't know I had to watch out for snack mixes.

That's scary!  I actually use a vegetarian version of the sauce, but yes, the regular stuff does contain anchovies.  I bet there is fish in a lot of Thai or Korean snacks too since they use so much fish sauce for flavoring.  Another good thing about homemade - you can control the ingredients.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:24 PM

Janel, I have a cup of cocoa most mornings.  I have a hard time eating still when I first get up, and I think the combo of sugar and protein -- plus the fact that it's easy to eat -- paves the way for real food.  I usually have that before all of the rush of getting the kids ready for school and lunches packed, so I just have to make sure I actually eat something once they're out the door, or I feel worse than I would have otherwise.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:27 PM

prosciutto.  mmmmmmm..... Forbidden meat........ 

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
Old 10-07-2011, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

I was napping today, and my husband got a package in the mail. They waited three hours while I took a long nap, thinking it was more candy for them. Boy were they surprised with DH remembered it was diaper covers that HE ordered. ROTFLMAO.gif

Old 10-14-2011, 12:40 PM

My only real indulgences are lattes, frappes and cappuccino. And pumpkin spice creamer for my coffee.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
Old 10-25-2011, 02:31 PM

Mmmm, pumpkin spice.  I might have to make some pumpkin pie squares now.

I rarely buy poptarts, mostly because I'll just eat, like, 6 in a row if we have them in the house.  I indulged in a box recently.  There are still a few left, but apparently, I've met my quota for this year.  :P

Old 10-26-2011, 02:51 PM

Erin--mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, coffee.  It's my very best friend in all the world right now.  Thank goodness I only drink decaf, because I'm having like 4-5 cups a day lately!

I cannot have sweets in the house right now, or they will disappear faster than I can chew.  I so wish I was one of those people who stopped craving stuff after a while... I think it's getting worse!  Thankfully, I don't keep sweets in the house very often!

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

Old 10-26-2011, 05:49 PM

I certainly indulge in chocolate (love the dark stuff) nothing else really... maybe ice cream, but only once in a while and it's homemade so I can control the sugar

Old 10-26-2011, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

I got through the cravings by eating several clementines for few days in a row...and then we ran out. I need to have my husband get more. My daughter LOVES them, too, so a big bag doesn't last long.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:03 PM

I'm not having cravings so much as I am suddenly starving.all.the.time. When I wasn't hungry it was easy to resist things, but man this is stretching my willpower! My cravings for carbs have been easily satisfied by "brick" toast (ie verrry grainy, lotsa good stuff) with preserves. I've been eating enough fruit to plant an orchard...but sometimes I just need a dessert. Molasses cookies with milk have been amazing. 

I've reaaaaaally wanted a piping hot cup of black coffee but haven't been able to find any swiss water process decaf, so I've been resisting pretty well...though after reading this thread I think I may give in tomorrow. :)

Baking a cupcake at 98.6°. This little lady is due early March 2012.

***4***8***12***16****20***24***28***32*ecbaby.gif*36***40**

Old 10-27-2011, 07:59 AM

I have my appetite back and how but I am still not so interested in sugar which is crazy.  I am a sugar addict!  I want salty, fried, cheesy things, which is very uncharacteristic.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:04 AM

You should have joined me for lunch yesterday -- I had poutine from New York Fries for the first time in about 5 years.  It was so good.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:07 PM

mmmmmmm poutine

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
Old 10-28-2011, 10:00 AM

I had an apple fritter this morning and a cup of decaf and it was pretty good.  I didn't think of donut type foods - they are sweet but not too sweet but most importantly they are fried.  I am going to be so huge (again!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen View Post

You should have joined me for lunch yesterday -- I had poutine from New York Fries for the first time in about 5 years.  It was so good.

Oh yum!  I think I have everything I need to make this for lunch today.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone indulging in a little Halloween candy? What is your favorite treat?

Old 10-31-2011, 06:13 PM

If by a little, you mean a LOT, then yeah! My fav is Reese Cups.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
Old 10-31-2011, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

I hadn't felt the baby by 11 or so, and usually he's using my bladder as punching bag to get me out of bed in the morning. I admit to "poking" him awake by eating a few tootsie roll minis. Apparently he liked those. smile.gif

I LOVE my tootsie rolls, tootsie pops, and some of the flavored tootsie rolls like lime. I'm hoping some Kit-Kats find their way to our house tonight, because those are SOO good to my pregnant taste buds.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:28 PM

I'm gonna have some Tillamook Utterly Peanutbuttery ice cream....I'm a little more excited than I should be. :)

We're not handing out candy this year since last year we got 3 actual kids and a bunch of very large, intimidating teenage boys. So sad, I love handing out treats!

Baking a cupcake at 98.6°. This little lady is due early March 2012.

***4***8***12***16****20***24***28***32*ecbaby.gif*36***40**

Old 11-01-2011, 06:10 PM

My favourite Hallowe'en candy is the Hallowe'en kisses.  I think between the four kids, we got one of those.  I guess they're not too popular.  And the kids all agreed that I could have it.  :P  I couldn't even find them at the store today.  Other than that, I like the little chocolate bars, mostly things like caramilk and the cookies & cream bars.   Yum.  So I picked up some of those at the half price sales today.  

I like seeing the different kinds of candies and treats that people hand out.  Each year that we've been here, someone has been giving out freezies (unfrozen).  The kids got juice boxes this year -- real juice, even.  And probably the biggest hit was plastic fangs in different colours.  My 9 yo went to sleep with his in last night, ugh.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

DD got a SoyJoy bar. What is that about? I pigged out on her tootsie rolls, which was a bad idea. Now I've got heartburn.blush.gif At least they taste delicious!

Old 11-02-2011, 12:03 PM

Well, not quite pigging out, but I had a stressful day on Halloween and it took A LOT of discipline to keep out of it.  And I'm not that disciplined.  I'd say I ate about 1/3 as much as I would have not pregnant.  :)

Old 11-10-2011, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

I had DH go get me a cinnamon dulce latte and some pumpkin bread from Starbucks today. I know, I know...caffeine. But seriously, I've been sick all week and it tastes soo good.

User Tag List