So I suppose I'll just go and buy a can of formula and some disposables now shall I? (sarcastic vent) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 10-16-2011, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

BRU - the worst.  Sometimes it is nice to get some ideas, but it usually gives me a panic attack that I don't have the things that I need, which is totally untrue.  I breastfed both my kids for 15 months and 22months and used cds.  Breastfeeding really helped me to take time to relax and just sit with my babies and I loved it.  It also made those night feedings so much easier for a heavy sleeper like me.  The hormones also made me so laid back and relaxed and I think it really helped my parenting style to be the same.  I was fairly isolated with my first because I didn't know a lot of people with kids, so I just did what I thought was right for me.  Honestly, after my oldest started school and I saw how so many of the other kids behaved, I was so happy that I danced to my own tune when it came to parenting.  I am not saying that my children are little angels because I breastfed, but I do think that not trying to do what all the other parents and children do benefited my family and has made for a nice calm environment within my family.  Trusting your instincts and doing what feels right is so important and when you do that I think that everything else will follow.  

#32 of 36 Old 10-16-2011, 09:22 AM

I breastfed all three of my children and will nurse this baby as well. I started with formula for DD though. She was vomiting blood and SOOOOO fussy. So I would take her to the DR and he would change her formula. She was on 5 different kinds in five weeks. Some causing clay like poop and constipation and others causing the vomiting up blood. I was a participant in the wic program. They got me a lactation consultant and she helped me relactate. (Of course it didn't occur to me to nurse her until I was dried up!) By 7 weeks I went back to work and DH was with her. I could pump her ONE bottle a day. (Don't worry DH supplemented her with a formula that didn't make her ill.) By the time she was 12 weeks old we introduced the breast to her and she was able to nurse to satisfaction. I was NEVER able to pump anymore than one bottle a day.

So I say give it a try. Stick with it through the begining where it seems like baby is ALWAYS eating. It will calm down and it becomes so easy and enjoyable. Plus when else is it okay to sit on the couch and watch 50 episodes of your favorite show in one day? You will even lose weight doing it!

Living a life like no one else, with my husband, and all our children
#33 of 36 Old 10-16-2011, 09:23 AM

Oh I cloth diaper too:) I don't in the first couple weeks when sleep is just like gold but after that I do:)

#34 of 36 Old 10-17-2011, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me. I'm now feeling better about paving my own way with this :-)

Getting excited now about my collection of dipes and wraps.

30 years old,  part time wheelchair.gif,  Living in Australia with my DH and belly.gif with IVF bubba #1 after a long long time of ttc.  Very grateful we've made it this far.  Due March 2012

I enjoy these activities:  sewmachine.gif     crochetsmilie.gif       geek.gif        greenthumb.gif

Planning on  bfinfant.gif      femalesling.GIF    cd.gif   

#35 of 36 Old 10-17-2011, 11:40 AM

:)  YAY:)

#36 of 36 Old 10-17-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieMum View Post

Wow, thanks so much everyone for your support.  You all make very good points.

Yes, I run (wheel lol) to the store for milk and bread all the time, or often, cat food!  Formula I reckon would end up in the same situation.

I bought a really good washing machine a few years ago so washing the nappies is not an issue.  I already manage the laundry for DH and I and I'm planning to drypail so there won't be any soaking nappy buckets for me to lift.  The breastfeeding itself to me, sounds really convenient, especially when it's difficult for me sometimes to be up and about mixing up formula and washing bottles.  That just sounds like work! lol.  My body knows what baby needs and will provide it in breastmilk.  I have good days and bad days with my legs, so I like the convenience factor.

Yesterday the Dr Sears Baby Book came to me in the mail and I opened it up and then had tears in my eyes.  It's exactly what I wanted and expected.  The pictures are lovely and the wording, oh boy, sounds like what I've been thinking and saying all along, but never had the confidence to stick with it.

Oh, and, we've got a group in Australia called the Australian Breastfeeding Association, they have meetings of mothers in most if not every town.  Must join!!

Yay, mama!  Glad you are feeling more confident!  You CAN do it!  I loved that Sears book, too, btw.  It totally solidified my feelings and just "clicked" for me.  From then on, I was on Mothering a lot and eventually found people who were like minded and created a little community.  

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page