Help me with cloth dipes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 10-05-2011, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I plan to CD my LO at least through my maternity leave....longer if it goes well!  I have a friend offering me her stash.  Here's what she's got:

So I dug my smaller dipes out. Here's what I have:
24 newborn prefolds (held on with a Snappi and then a cover over) $.75 each
13 size one Thirsties duo covers (adjustable and go over the prefolds and fit till about 8 mo.) various colors..green, yellow, blue, orange, stripes and blackbird print $5.00 each
6 size one Thirsties duo diapers (pocket diapers) 3 colors, 2 of each orange, green and stripes I believe. Hardly used $8.00 each.
My sister has 6 Thirsties covers and 5 Thirsties pocket-like diapers, she would like $30 for her stuff.

Is that too many dipes?  (She had twins)

Do you like the prefold/cover system or prefer another system?

Is size one good?  I have 10lb babies....

Is the cost fair?

Thanks for your help!

#2 of 21 Old 10-05-2011, 05:55 AM

I love prefolds. They are easy to fold to fit well and they clean up pretty easily too.  I've never used Thirsties but they seem to be very popular.

That looks like a good number to me - I think about 3 dozen diapers total and half a dozen covers is perfect.  I have no idea about sizes though. I used preemie pfs for the first couple weeks and then infant sized.  But depending on where you get the diapers and what the retailer calls the sizes, it's hard to compare.  Maybe if you post the dimensions?

The prices from your friend and about half of new, so as long as they're in good shape that's a decent price.  I think the amount your sister is asking is great deal.  The covers alone are probably worth $30.

You should post this in the Diapering forum.  There may be more mamas there who know about Thirsties and sizing.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#3 of 21 Old 10-05-2011, 09:58 AM

With a big baby, you should be fine.  I love prefolds with a Thirsties or a Bummis Brite wrap.  I only tried the Duo at the VERY end as it came out when my kid was nearly 2, so the larger size, but my impression was a good multi-size design that was super trim.  Because I was using it on the top end of the weight limit, we didn't use it for night time as he was a heavy wetter.  But I don't think you'll have that problem with a newborn? 

If you have a 10 lb baby, you should be able to go right into what is being offered.  I had a 8.5 lber and my newborn size only lasted 2 weeks as he was 10lbs at around 18 days.

I also like to have 36-40 diapers on hand for that age.  So if the pockets are coming with inserts, you should be set.  If not, get a dozen of the next size up prefolds for night time absorbancy.

Nicole, dissertating mama to M (Nov 2007) and expecting another (Mar 2012)

#4 of 21 Old 10-05-2011, 12:06 PM

13 covers for 24 prefolds is a lot unless you don't plan on using a snappi. I'd highly recommend a snappi or pins under a thirsties cover as that is quite leakproof in my experience!  With snappis or pins, I only needed 5 newborn covers for 30 prefolds.  If you just want to pad fold, then lots of covers will be necessary.  That does NOT seem like too many diapers... I'm having trouble figuring out how that worked for twins!  :)  I keep about 3 dozen on hand for a singleton.  I would also suggest that you buy infant prefolds too since they outgrow the newborn size (in length and absorbency) quickly and you will need the next size up within a few weeks.

I personally love the prefold/cover system.  It's great for the newborn stage since covers keep blowouts contained so well and honestly... stuffing tiny pocket diapers is a nightmare!  ;)  I love it for older stages too, but I wouldn't recommend anything else for a newborn!

Thirsties Duos are just fine in size for a newborn, by the way.  They fit a little smaller than normal.... I think I've heard they fit well from 5 or 6 lbs!

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

#5 of 21 Old 10-05-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janel47 View Post

I would also suggest that you buy infant prefolds too since they outgrow the newborn size (in length and absorbency) quickly and you will need the next size up within a few weeks.

Can the newborn prefolds be skipped then, if they only last a few weeks? Or would the infant prefolds be too huge at first? I'm planning on prefolds and thirsties duo covers too.

I was over 9 pounds at birth, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean my baby will be.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#6 of 21 Old 10-05-2011, 05:44 PM

Yes, they can be skipped, but for an average baby they are going to look huge at first.  If you have a small baby, you really need them.  I used infants at night with my 7.5 lb kids and newborns in the daytime for about 3 weeks before going all infants.  I got my newborns through a co-op really cheap, otherwise I might have just dealt with bulky diapers for a few weeks. A 9 lb baby I would start in infant size, since you need to switch from newborns at about 9-11 lbs.  Here is a link with some pictures of newborns of various sizes in prefolds. http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/prefolds.htm Although bear in mind that they are GMD prefolds, so fit better in general than standard prefolds (GMD's are shorter and wider so you don't have to fold them down or size up as fast) Orange edge is newborn, yellow is infant.

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

#7 of 21 Old 10-05-2011, 05:55 PM

Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janel47 View Post

GMD's are shorter and wider so you don't have to fold them down or size up as fast)
Sorry, so does that mean the newborn size is more necessary or easier to skip with GMDs? I'd like to skip if I can and not waste money on something that only fits for 2 weeks, but I don't want to be stuck with no diapers for my newborn either.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#8 of 21 Old 10-05-2011, 06:22 PM

I didn't have GMD PFs so I don't know about their sizing in particular. I got a set of 6 preemies and I think I have about 24 smalls and 24 premium size. The smalls are great because even after they don't fit with a snappi, you can use them pad folded in a cover or as a doubler. 

I have the Thirsties duo size 2. He currently wears it on the biggest setting and he is about 23 lbs and 8 months. Before that he wore Thirsties sized (xSmall, Small, Medium). 13 covers sounds like a TON to me. I never had more than 3-4 at a time. I wouldn't commit to that many of the same kind unless I knew I loved them. 

I also have the Thirsties pockets and hated them. They leaked like crazy and looked horrible after one wash. I don't know if those are the same make and model as she is offering, but, again, I'd recommend trying one before you commit. 

You may want to check out THIS store, they have newborn diaper rentals and allow you to try some of the stock for 30 days to see if it works for you. There may be other stores that do this too. Also, some people use a service for just the first month. I think it all depends on how committed you are and how easily you can do laundry lol

:)

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

#9 of 21 Old 10-05-2011, 10:43 PM

It means they can wear them a bit longer.  If you use traditional sized prefolds, you'll see how it works... they're still too long in the rise when you can't fit them around the waist anymore.  GMD (and a couple of other places now too) make them wider and shorter to fix this problem.  I mostly showed their link because it has pictures of newborns wearing prefolds.  Like I said, unless you have a smaller than average baby, you can certainly skip newborn size in any brand, but expect it to be bulky.  :)  I believe GMD newborns are supposed to fit more like 6 wks.  I had traditionally cut ones and the cut was frustrating for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyamo View Post

Thank you.

Sorry, so does that mean the newborn size is more necessary or easier to skip with GMDs? I'd like to skip if I can and not waste money on something that only fits for 2 weeks, but I don't want to be stuck with no diapers for my newborn either.

#10 of 21 Old 10-06-2011, 12:08 AM

While we're on the topic and you ladies have such wonderfully extensive knowledge:

DH and I were given a subscription to the local diaper service for the beginning and will likely put it in our registry to extend it. So that means we'll be using their prefolds with our covers. He and I are both small and both come from families of long skinny babies. Wondering if any of you have suggestions for covers that work well for skinny babes. RIght now I'm looking at the GroVia shells, Blueberry Coveralls and the Flip snap covers. Opinions? Advice?

Of course I'll probably end up with a 10 lb kiddo. :)

Baking a cupcake at 98.6°. This little lady is due early March 2012.

***4***8***12***16****20***24***28***32*ecbaby.gif*36***40**

#11 of 21 Old 10-06-2011, 12:13 AM

I had/have a skinny baby, and I LOVE the Thirsties Duo Wraps! I especially love that they have 2 sizes with 3 adjustable options per size, so they are very customizable to your baby but you only have to buy 2 sizes from birth to potty learning :) 

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#12 of 21 Old 10-06-2011, 06:12 AM

I had a 8lb baby, stayed skinny and gained slowly.  She was in orange edge (NB) prefolds for at least 12 weeks, so it totally depends on the shape of the baby!  I liked thirsties NB and small covers early on.  I have the size 2 duos now, but am not a huge fan..with it on the bigger setting, the snap down part sometimes rubs on her legs (cause the crotch is wide), and I didn't like the bulk between her legs with it snapped down.

#13 of 21 Old 10-06-2011, 07:54 AM

Another vote for Thirsties with skinny babies!  The gussets are great and close leg gaps really well.  I'd also suggest snappi/pinning because of those skinny little legs.  :)

#14 of 21 Old 10-06-2011, 12:02 PM

I'm not familiar with the brands you talked about, but I liked the Thirsties and Bummis Super Brite covers on my big but skinny baby born at 95%tile height, 50%tile weight (so small BMI with no rolls) because of the gussets.  Without the gussets, I has too many leaks and blowouts. 

Nicole, dissertating mama to M (Nov 2007) and expecting another (Mar 2012)

#15 of 21 Old 10-06-2011, 02:43 PM

OP, as long as the diapers still have some life left in them, your sister's offer is very generous.  Your friend's prices are certainly fair as long as the diapers are in decent condition. She's asking a little less than 50% of the market rate for most of those items (thirsties covers are around $12 new, duo pockets are around $17).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollsworth View Post
Wondering if any of you have suggestions for covers that work well for skinny babes. RIght now I'm looking at the GroVia shells, Blueberry Coveralls and the Flip snap covers. Opinions? Advice?

Of course I'll probably end up with a 10 lb kiddo. :)

I have no experience with Grovia, but I wouldn't recommend Blueberry Coveralls or Flips for a skinny newborn (the blueberry mini-coveralls could be good for the NB stage but I have no personal experience).  I know many of them claim to fit from 8 pounds, but in my experience, they wouldn't fit well on a skinnier baby until a little later.  I've had generally good experiences with blueberrys and flips once my daughter was past the NB stage.  And weehuggers are pricey, but are my favorite cover now that DD is a skinny toddler- gussets, 2 flaps to hold a trifolded prefold and very durable (and cute prints!).  If you buy some NB or small covers used, you can use them for the couple of months that your little one fits in them, and then resell without losing much $.  

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

#16 of 21 Old 10-06-2011, 10:06 PM

I haven't tried them, but my chiropractor had a little 6 lb baby, and loves Thirsties. He's chunky now, and she said they still fit well.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#17 of 21 Old 10-06-2011, 10:21 PM

Thanks everyone! I may get the GroVias later when the babe is a bit heavier but for the first 6-18lbs I'm gonna go with the Thirsties and the Weehuggers. 

Love the veritable fountain of wisdom that is MDC!

Baking a cupcake at 98.6°. This little lady is due early March 2012.

***4***8***12***16****20***24***28***32*ecbaby.gif*36***40**

#18 of 21 Old 10-10-2011, 10:25 AM

Hope it's ok to ask this here:

I'm on my third baby with my Fuzzi Bunz and they're leaking through the leg openings.  My DD has thin legs and the elastic in the FBs isn't what it used to be.  I tried replacing the elastic in some of them, but I hated doing it and it didn't seem to help much.  It seems a waste to throw them out and buy new (especially since my baby due in March will be our last), but I tend to reach for disposables because I don't want to deal with the leaking.  Does anyone know of a cover that would work well with them, preferably one that has little leg openings?

Thanks, expert mamas!!

#19 of 21 Old 10-10-2011, 11:31 AM

FB with shot elastic would be awful with a really little one.  There are people out there that repair elastic for a fee if that appeals to you.  You could use any of the covers mentioned over the FB, but that basically removes any chance of air getting to your baby's bum.  I'd much rather stick prefolds in a cover than deal with that personally!  What about selling them off as-is to someone who can repair them, and buy something else?  If the diapers are shot and you are just reaching for disposables, I don't see any reason to hold onto them for another baby!  JMO!  :)

#20 of 21 Old 10-17-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabigail76 View Post

I'm on my third baby with my Fuzzi Bunz and they're leaking through the leg openings.  My DD has thin legs and the elastic in the FBs isn't what it used to be.  I tried replacing the elastic in some of them, but I hated doing it and it didn't seem to help much.  It seems a waste to throw them out and buy new (especially since my baby due in March will be our last), but I tend to reach for disposables because I don't want to deal with the leaking.  Does anyone know of a cover that would work well with them, preferably one that has little leg openings?

Thanks, expert mamas!!

If you're not looking to put a lot of money into new cloth, you could pick up half a dozen or so covers and some prefolds.

#21 of 21 Old 10-18-2011, 10:15 AM

I wouldn't put a cover over a leaky pocket diaper either...seems like it would be bulky and wouldn't breathe well at all...my baby's skin would probably get really red.  I'm sure that someone on the diaperswappers site with sewing skills would be glad to buy your FB if they like your asking price.  If they got you through 2 babies, you have definitely gotten good value from them! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabigail76 View Post

Thanks, expert mamas!!

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page