Are you gathering your baby items early or leaving it till later? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 10-07-2011, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was just wondering what other people are doing in collecting baby items together, ready for next year.  Are you getting it ready and together now, or leaving it till later so the fun lasts for a while?

My worry is that if I leave these items till last, I might be too tired or worn out to enjoy putting a little collection together, whereas now, I'm feeling really well and strong and have the energy to visit the stores to get these smaller items.  But, if I get all the items together too early, there'll be nothing for me to do later, lol.

I mean basic things such as sewing up some breastpads, cutting up liners and wipes, and buying the little things such as a thermometer, some baby bath soap, nail cutters, 

30 years old,  part time wheelchair.gif,  Living in Australia with my DH and belly.gif with IVF bubba #1 after a long long time of ttc.  Very grateful we've made it this far.  Due March 2012

I enjoy these activities:  sewmachine.gif     crochetsmilie.gif       geek.gif        greenthumb.gif

Planning on  bfinfant.gif      femalesling.GIF    cd.gif   

#2 of 26 Old 10-07-2011, 07:24 PM

Right now, we're focusing on getting the diapering covered. We had 3 covers, 7 AIOs, and a dozen prefolds. We just scored 31 used covers, so we're definitely set on covers through the first year. We just need 2 dozen more prefolds.

We're getting some clothes together, but only basics when the local 2nd hand store has good sales. We got some things from my sister after she had her last, and we know we'll get some things from my cousin as well. We have a lot of the basics, and just need things like a new carrier, boy clothes/shoes, new pump parts, etc. I know I'll get a lot of clothes and what not at the shower, so we'll wait to the end for that.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#3 of 26 Old 10-08-2011, 07:34 AM

Our youngest is 4 and we have nothing left. So as I see stuff at consignment sales or thrift stores I pick up one or two things. I am hitting fabric sales too. There is a big consignment sale soon that I am going to check out I am hoping to find a swing. All my babies love the swing and they are great for getting a quick shower. And a stroller. i am not one to get a bunch of big stuff. I will look at the clothes too. I do sew and crochet. So As soon as I find out if Butter Bean here is a boy or girl I will have fun making stuff.

#4 of 26 Old 10-08-2011, 10:09 AM

I might those things you mentioned later on, or I may even get them at my baby shower. But the things like clothes and what not are waiting till we find out what we are having. MIL has gotten us a few things already; like a bouncer, pack and play, and a play thing for laying on the floor. But I may buy new and give those things to my mom. I'm just ready to get started shopping for everything!

#5 of 26 Old 10-08-2011, 10:16 AM

I will definitely be doing some shopping when we visit my in-laws at Christmas. They live in the US, so it is cheaper. And my diapers will be shipped to them at that time too, which saves a ton on shipping. Other than that, I don't really have a plan.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#6 of 26 Old 10-08-2011, 10:21 AM

Somehow, even though this is our second baby, I have more to do now than when DD was born...I think some kind of nesting has kicked in early. We're moving around everyone's sleeping arrangements so that our housemate is going into one side of the basement, the other half of the basement is becoming a playroom, DD is getting a big girl room and the nursery is getting an overhaul so it is less like a pit of doom. With the holidays happening smack in the middle of this pregnancy, I figure I will be busy organising and cleaning all the way to the end.

Beth, wife to Cass and SAHM to the little french goose, 6/17/09...and now also mom to a second wee girlie 2/6/12. Nursing with low supply, domperidone and a lact-aid.

#7 of 26 Old 10-08-2011, 10:27 AM

I missed the two big consignment sales by a week or two because we didn't know what we were having. Oh well...there's next year.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#8 of 26 Old 10-08-2011, 10:52 AM

I'm trying to wait until Black Friday sales and the holidays.  Stuff can be pretty deeply discounted Black Friday, and I imagine we'll receive something baby-related as a Christmas gift.

I really don't need all that much since I saved everything from my DD, and we have a ton of house-repair bills to pay off so I'm trying to exercise restraint.  

If I was crafty, I'd begin some sewing projects now, but I don't have any craft skills whatsoever!

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

#9 of 26 Old 10-08-2011, 11:15 AM

I haven't been able to sew much because of nerve pain, but I think I might ask my mother in law to make some john johns or rompers that are cute and classic for pictures and events. With DD we tried to buy gender neutral when we could, so I think we have some Robeez, sleep sacks, etc. that will work. Just not a lot aside from plain onesies. The stuff from my cousin will be here when her baby outgrows them, so probably around February. As long as we have enough to get by, we'll be fine for clothing. I've come to realize that we need a lot less than I thought last time.

#10 of 26 Old 10-08-2011, 08:01 PM

I've done a lot of shopping, but at this point it's just price comparisons with Amazon. I have my registry there, and I'm using it like a shopping list. When you consider they've basically got the best prices on everything, shipping is free (with Amazon Mom), and they give you a %10 discount a month before your due date, I feel like I really shouldn't buy too much now. I have my list printed out though, so if I want to go baby shopping I can. If I find a sale where something (gender neutral) is lower than Amazon then I'll get it. A few stores are clearing out clothes right now too, so once I find out the gender I'll probably pick a few things up.

Happily married to my soul mate, and a mommy of two girls + another baby due in June!

5****10****15****20****25****30****35**stillheart.gif*40

#11 of 26 Old 10-09-2011, 08:19 AM

we have most things from our 2 yr old DD. I've been buying some newborn clothes as last time we borrowed and this time they are in use :) I buy organic used clothes - so I'm always searching at the local consignment store and other used places. Already pretty much set - just need some sleepers I think.

Other items needed are a change pad (we made our first and it is out of commission), some warmer booties/outdoor clothes (our first was born in may when we were past the snow).

With DD I bought lots of KIJIJI/used stuff. SO I started right away and made a list of wants and needs. Starting early meant I got great deals and we simply tucked things away. I left some of the need to buy new items for gifts - and didn't buy a tonne of clothes as we recieved a bunch as well.

I love to make things but am waiting to see the ultrasound so I can make slightly gender specific clothes. Mostly I'm into neutral but did make my dd a little dress when she was in utero.

Our rainbow1284.gif family: mommytea6.gif and DW mama luxlove.gif our 4.5 yr old DD 'Z' notes2.gif and 2 yr old DD 'S' femalesling.GIF and hoping for baby.gif

#12 of 26 Old 10-09-2011, 06:19 PM

We have an awesome consignment sale here twice a year and it's back again this weekend.  I'm planning on picking up some stuff there... maybe some neutral clothes, diapers, and gear we need like a baby bath, changing pad for our changing table, a closed system breastpump maybe?  Whatever good deals I can find.  I don't like to wait until the end because I can't budget for it a little each month that way, and I really want to take advantage of the consignment sale since the baby will be here before the next one.

I have been knitting for the baby... it has a couple of sleep sacks, hats, mittens, and I'm working on sweaters now.  I have his/her baby blanket done.  I have bought about 1/3 of our diapers and I found a nursing pillow at a rummage sale.  We basically got rid of everything except baby carriers and some sentimental clothes, so I'm definitely looking around for deals.

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

#13 of 26 Old 10-10-2011, 05:55 AM

We bought more cloth diapers when they were on sale and I've bought a couple of nursing bras and shirts. DH and I talked about buying a couple of newborn size clothes the next time we go to the store or we find them on sale. We're not going crazy buying stuff because DD outgrew EVERYTHING so quickly. I have to go through her stuff too.

So much to do. I'm waiting till I hit the 20 week mark though to start doing most of it. That's only next week... winky.gif

Mom to DD 12/2009; married to wonderful hubby 1/07.
#14 of 26 Old 10-10-2011, 05:57 AM

I originally thought we weren't going to have to get much but this weekend my dss's mother told me she gave our diapers away (to a good cause at least! our local diaper service donates used dipes to families in need).  She had no idea we'd ended up needing them back so I'm not mad but it does mean that we now have to get diapers.  So I will probably buy those, some fasteners, wipes, and diaper pail liners as soon as I have the money.  Other than diapers we need clothes. I'm making gowns, diaper covers, and longies.  Those will take me awhile to complete so I've just started.  I'd like some wool undershirts which are $$ so I will either save up for those or ask for them as gifts.  We don't need any big equipment, thankfully - I was originally wanting another Moses basket, but I saw a baby hammock recently and like that a lot.  If we put hooks up in each room I think it will be just as portable as the Moses basket.  That would probably be a gift-y type thing too.  I still have breast pads and all the little baby toiletry items.  I basically only use soap and coconut oil on my babies and we always have those so I that's it.  We don't have a nursery - I will set -up the changing table as I get stuff. 

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#15 of 26 Old 10-11-2011, 03:17 PM

This is our third, and honestly, I feel pretty badly, but I don't have any real desire to buy any new stuff.  I bought a special blanket that I loved the print and feel.  I'm knitting a new blanket for babe, and other than that, this little one is going to be living in the hand me downs of her/his brother and sister's stuff.  Of course, when baby is born, we'll likely get some special things just for her/him, but right now, other than some knitted things, I'm not getting baby anything.  I did buy her/him a special toy in Paris (I found out I was pregnant the day we left to go over there), so that was it, but it's really small.  

Our preparation right now consists of transitioning DD to her "big girl room".  I found the most amazing deal on craigslist, two antique jenny lind twin beds.  I bought them both and for under $100 for both together!!!!!!  I'm refinishing them to match the decor, and then we'll have the spare twin for either this baby to share a room with DD, or for DD and DS to share a room together.  That is our big transition so far.   Maybe I'll feel more inspired once baby comes.  

This might sound weird, but DH is really adamant about not finding out the sex of this baby, and I think that sort makes me less motivated to prepare...I can't wrap my mind around WHO this baby is, whereas with DS and DD, I was preparing for DS and for DD.  I don't care who is coming, in terms of the sex, either would be so precious, but I feel pretty awful about this weird apathy, but while I'm thrilled to be pregnant, love feeling baby move, and so excited for baby to come, realize how lucky I am to be pregnant, truly, it's just such a mystery as to WHO is in there...I'm having a harder time really bonding the way I did with my first two.  I hope that doesn't make me sound awful.  I'll stop now. 

blahblah.gif

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
#16 of 26 Old 10-11-2011, 04:23 PM

Catters--I totally get that.  With my girls, we had names picked out around the ultrasound time so we could call them by name (in secret since the names were a surprise for everyone else).  I had a huge switch from "I think this is probably a boy, but I'm not sure" to "wow, there's a little baby girl in there!"... something about knowing that made them more real to me.  We aren't finding out this time, and I don't really want to, but it is hard to get my head around who they are to me yet.  I absolutely love the little one and adore the little kicks and wiggles, but there's something very vague about our relationship this time.  Maybe just having an ultrasound (without finding out) will help some.  Who knows! 

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

#17 of 26 Old 10-11-2011, 04:30 PM

Long story, but we're starting over from scratch (our house burned down this summer and we lost everything). So I need to do some shopping, and I'm going to try to get things a little at a time when I see a good deal. Most of the shopping though will be after the new year, then we can figure in any Christmas presents, and we will have hopefully received some money from the insurance company to replace things we had. I typically don't get a lot though, a bassinet, a swing maybe, and then clothes and little things like the thermometers, etc.

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

#18 of 26 Old 10-11-2011, 08:59 PM

I'm a minimalist when it comes to all of the "stuff". We had a baby shower for my sister in June and my mom told me to put together a tray of baby stuff and I had a really hard time finding enough things, b/c I don't have a lot of the traditional baby stuff. Pretty much the only thing this baby will need is clothes. I kept all of my first two kids' sleepers b/c that's what my babies wear 90% of the time the first couple of months. I'll probably dig out the baby clothes and diapers sometime in March, and I plan on having all of my birth supplies ready by the end of February.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
#19 of 26 Old 10-11-2011, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'm nearly done putting things together apart from the things like soaps and things.  So much of our stuff is second hand.  The only stuff I've purchased new is a few nappies (diapers) and covers, a couple of nice clothes and a toy.

I probably won't be having a baby shower but my mother and MIL want to give us gifts, as do the girls from work, so without being selfish or greedy, I'm kind of expecting there to be a fair few clothes in the gifts so I haven't worried about purchasing those.

I've got a list that I'll take to the drugstore closer to the birth, on that list is things like a good thermometer, some baby shampoo, nipple cream etc.

30 years old,  part time wheelchair.gif,  Living in Australia with my DH and belly.gif with IVF bubba #1 after a long long time of ttc.  Very grateful we've made it this far.  Due March 2012

I enjoy these activities:  sewmachine.gif     crochetsmilie.gif       geek.gif        greenthumb.gif

#20 of 26 Old 10-14-2011, 01:16 AM

We are super poor, so getting things early is a must. I stretch it out over my pregnancy. Each time we go shopping, I'll pick up some new small thing, especially if it's on sale. One week, a tube of nipple cream, the next some bags for pumping emergency milk or maybe a thermometer. Building up items slowly is better for us than punching a big hole in our budget right before the baby comes, plus it gives me time to hold off on something and see if it will go on sale first or if someone just ends up giving me one for free. I've gotten lots of things used just because I waited and then someone would mention they have something I might want and ask if I need it.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#21 of 26 Old 10-14-2011, 12:20 PM

Well now that we know it's another boy I don't feel pressure to do much other than some crafty stuff like a few blankets or something like that. Back a few months ago my DH organized the garage and I had him set all the baby stuff to the side in a easy to access area. I also already traded in the boys' old car seats at the babies r us trade in event and got a infant car seat, single stroller and a toddler car seat so we are basically all prepared. All that is left is transferring the boys to toddler beds and moving one of their cribs and changing table to the baby's room but that wont happen till early next year. Oh and I need to potty train the boys too.... ugh 

So i'm leaving everything else till next year.

twin boys born 11/28/08, pregnant with #3 due 3/13/12

#22 of 26 Old 10-16-2011, 08:28 PM

The consignment sale was good... I have enough neutral outfits, plus a couple boy outfits and a few girl hand me downs to ensure our baby will not be naked as a newborn.  :)  Also got a baby bath.  My friend offered me a bunch of her stuff to borrow as she'll hopefully be pregnant while I'd be using it and deliver about the time my baby outgrows it.  I don't know what all I'll take because it includes entertainers and stuff, but there's an infant car seat if we don't get one before baby comes and probably some 0-6 mth neutral clothes.  I think I'm getting close to having the bare necessities sorted out.

#23 of 26 Old 10-23-2011, 09:04 AM

I haven't bought much, just a handful of onesies and my mom and I made some cute sleepers. Apart from that, I'm just waiting because a friend of mine just had her "last" baby about 9 months ago and she is planning on passing on everything she owns to me. I want to see what all there is before I start buying things. We do need a crib, though I have NO idea where it's going to fit. Maybe in the kitchen, lol. I also want to get a bouncy seat because those are insanely useful when you have to type with a wiggly little one.

#24 of 26 Old 10-23-2011, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still refining my list lol.

I need a nappy bucket to dry pail my clothies, need to find a nice one with a good lid.

freelancemom, I need a bouncy seat too.  Especially when I'm doing jobs like cutting up the vegetables and there's sharp things and hot water involved.  I just don't feel safe babywearing at those times.  I plan to babywear most of the other time though.

As for clothes, I'm going to have to wait until we are closer to the due date and see what we get given.  Also, where we live, the weather is quite changeable, as in like right now it's October, but it's still cold.  It's supposed to be stinking hot, but summer hasn't quite kicked in.  March is the same; traditionally winter begins in May here, but we could have a cold snap at the end of March, or it might still be quite warm.

#25 of 26 Old 10-25-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieMum View Post

I'm still refining my list lol.

I need a nappy bucket to dry pail my clothies, need to find a nice one with a good lid.

freelancemom, I need a bouncy seat too.  Especially when I'm doing jobs like cutting up the vegetables and there's sharp things and hot water involved.  I just don't feel safe babywearing at those times.  I plan to babywear most of the other time though.

As for clothes, I'm going to have to wait until we are closer to the due date and see what we get given.  Also, where we live, the weather is quite changeable, as in like right now it's October, but it's still cold.  It's supposed to be stinking hot, but summer hasn't quite kicked in.  March is the same; traditionally winter begins in May here, but we could have a cold snap at the end of March, or it might still be quite warm.

Sounds like our weather, but in reverse. smile.gif Today is the first cool day we've had, but we're still expecting temps in the 80's before it cools down for real. That coupled with the expected La Niña winter should be interesting. We had it last year as well. Lots of early and late freezes, when we normally get one or two good ones. Lots and lots of rain. We normally put out cool season veggies in February, and tomatoes in March. Everything froze in the garden. greensad.gif I didn't get tomatoes until late July this year, and our irises never bloomed. But enough about weather. smile.gif I'm waiting until after Christmas and the shower that should be the last week of January to see what else we need. My friend had a boy as her first and is having a girl around the same time as me, so we're going to swap clothes at some point.

#26 of 26 Old 10-27-2011, 11:07 AM

I'm pretty much set on clothes. Just need a few more sleepers. Im going to start working on getting a cloth diaper stash and then in January, I'll buy the rest of whats needed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page