Mother Blessing vs. Baby Shower - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-10-2011, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just started reading about the idea of the Mother Blessing in lieu of a traditional baby shower, and I'm really liking some things about the idea.

Things I like:

-Having some kind of ritual to celebrate my passage into motherhood (this feels like one of the most important things that's ever happened to me and it's weird how normal it is)

-No cupcakes

-No or at least fewer baby gifts (I'm gathering hand-me-downs from friends and I just don't think I'll need much else)

-I like the ideas of henna-ing my belly, and some sort of symbol of the women in my life supporting me through labor (give them each a candle to light during labor, or have them each make a bead for a necklace for me)

Things I'm worried about:

-Some of my friends and family are pretty mainstream types who are expecting a baby shower, it may be a little to woo-woo for them

-Am I really OK with no baby gifts? (I think so, but...)

Have others thought about doing a mother blessing or something like it?  What do you plan to do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-10-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannamo View Post

(this feels like one of the most important things that's ever happened to me and it's weird how normal it is)

I think this so often. 

I don't know about the rest. I literally hurt several people's feelings when I expressed that maybe I wouldn't have a shower, including MIL, mom, and a few friends. They really wanted to have a baby shower. So my compromise was to have...three. I want them small and intimate where we can exchange stories and really talk about the transition to motherhood. Not the same as a mother blessing, but kinda along those lines. Thankfully momma and MIL agreed!

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#3 of 8 Old 10-10-2011, 12:16 PM

I recently attended a mother's blessing, and I loved it. I'm not sure how my family would feel about it though because they're really mainstream. I still have a garage full of crap I got for wedding showers that we've been meaning to get rid of. I don't want to accumulate more worthless stuff!

Happily married to my soul mate, and a mommy of two girls + another baby due in June!

5****10****15****20****25****30****35**stillheart.gif*40

#4 of 8 Old 10-10-2011, 04:28 PM

Why not do both? Baby shower first for mainstream crowd then mother blessing for the rest  :)

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#5 of 8 Old 10-11-2011, 09:08 PM

I would rather have a mother blessing (not that I'm expecting to get any kind of shower), but I don't know who would host it. My family is pretty mainstream. I know if I have a shower, I'm just going to end up with a bunch of stuff I'll never use. I don't use bottles or pacifiers, or chemical laden baby wash and lotion. Plus I cloth diaper, so that rules out a diaper shower, which around here is what they traditionally do when it's not your first. But I guess at least it would be a good time, I'd get to eat cake and hopefully get some cute clothes and then donate the stuff I'll never use.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
#6 of 8 Old 10-18-2011, 05:23 AM

with my first, i had a baby shower and a mother blessing. it was awesome. my mom and sister did the baby shower for all of my extended family and hometown friends. then all of my close girlfriends gave me a mother blessing. they were both great. i got things like a pack-n-play, clothes, cloth diapers etc. at the shower and did a birthing necklace, belly cast and shared birth stories at the mama blessing. they were both equally awesome and everyoone wasw happy. have fun!!

Lauren

bellycast.gif 

#7 of 8 Old 10-18-2011, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd kind of like both, but I think we're going to go with a low-key shower. Keeping it smallish means I can avoid inviting the nutters that will make me have a panic attack. Aside from that, they think "it is SO tacky to have a second shower," even though they've had no kids of their own. I won't miss them. smile.gif

Last time DH and I did the cast together. I think I was just shy of 38 weeks when we did it.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#8 of 8 Old 10-19-2011, 08:15 AM

Normal type shower here probably, although likely not until after the baby comes.  There's definitely no rule about having a baby shower only with your first... EVERY baby gets a shower around here.  Maybe it's partly due to the materialistic culture (because so many people just get everything again... brand new gear for each baby? why????)  but I'm not complaining this time since we got rid of nearly everything and some important things like a good breastpump and car seat are too costly for our budget.  As much as I like the idea of a mother blessing in theory, I think I would be way uncomfortable actually having one... I don't want people touching me or paying too much attention to me.  LOL!  A normal shower lets the focus be on socializing and I'm much more comfortable with that personally.  I'd like to attend a mother blessing though... they sound amazing if it wasn't me at the center of everyone!  ;)

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page