Braxton Hicks already... what herbs help? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-10-2011, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ooooooh boy.  This is going to be interesting!  I have a bit of an irritable uterus... no preterm labor or anything, just very very regular false labor for weeks before real labor starts.  With DD1 it was 4 weeks, DD2 it was 6 weeks of false labor.  Well, today I started getting BHs... not as hard as before, but fairly exhausting, maybe one intense BH every hour.  Do you girls know which herbs to take for an irritable uterus?  I took red raspberry leaf tea last time.  Thanks!

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 10-10-2011, 02:16 PM

I am having BH too, and hardly had any with DD1 until around 38 weeks.  Mine are random and just a couple per day.  I'm just trying to stay hydrated.  I have been slacking on my RRL tea, because it seemed like it was causing them. 

#3 of 14 Old 10-10-2011, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
RRL doesn't seem to cause them for me. I have to make sure to stay hydrated and keep my bladder empty. I really only notice them in the morning when my bladder is full, or sometimes when I've been sitting for a long time and then stand. I'm REALLY hoping I don't have weeks of prodromal labor like I did last time, so that's why I'm going with the RRL infusions.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#4 of 14 Old 10-11-2011, 07:11 AM

I didn't think about the full bladder, but I think that might be part of it, lol!

#5 of 14 Old 10-11-2011, 07:39 AM

it helps to drink more water when you're having lots of BH's.

and in regards to the last poster....pee often too!! :)

#6 of 14 Old 10-13-2011, 09:22 PM

In regards to the RRL, it is a bit of an adaptogenic herb. If your uterus needs more toning, it will help it work more efficiently with "practice" contractions. If your uterus needs calming, it will help relax the uterus. Nettle is a good uterine tonic as well. I'm having BH, but so far it is maybe 4-5 times a day and quick. They aren't the long, uncomfortable BH like I had with DD.

My herbal infusion recipe has 2 parts RRL, 2 parts dandelion root, 2 parts nettle, 2 parts oat straw, 1 part ginger, and 1 part rose hips. That mix has a good amount of calcium, phosphorus, potassium, A and B vitamins, iron, and minerals.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#7 of 14 Old 10-14-2011, 10:42 PM

I have no advice but wanted to say that I have felt BHs already too.  My belly tightens clear up near the bottom of my rib cage.   Like round ligament pain, I felt these much earlier than I was "supposed" to.   Mine aren't intense or painful though and for me, my BHs never felt anything like contractions during labor.  During labor, all of my pain was low, at my cervix.  I never felt pain in my belly/uterus, back or anywhere else.  Labor pains weren't what I expected at all - I thought they'd be like BHs but stronger but they weren't.

#8 of 14 Old 10-16-2011, 04:48 PM

I haven't had them yet, but with my last one I stayed hydrated and wore a pregnancy girdle to keep my uterus intact.  Both totally helped.

#9 of 14 Old 10-16-2011, 05:36 PM

DDCC... you could ask your caregiver about crampbark... usually comes in a tincture and worked wonders for my regular BH contractions which started around 24 weeks!

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#10 of 14 Old 10-30-2011, 02:52 PM

I've had some. Until yesterday they were just completely random. One here or there, especially after being active. Yesterday I walked for a long time, when I sat down I had at least 8 or 10 in a row. I had tons with DS. I timed them but never worried. Always very steady 4 or 5 min apart for weeks but didn't hurt. I guess I'm in for more of teh same.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#11 of 14 Old 10-30-2011, 10:53 PM

I'm having a lot, too. I notice them more when I stand up, just wake up, have to pee, etc. They've gotten more frequent in the past couple of weeks. Lots of fluids help, but then, you do have to pee more. smile.gif

#12 of 14 Old 11-16-2011, 07:30 PM

I am very interested to know if any of you have had a progesterone hormone level checked since early on? I have been doing a lot of reading since I was treating my thyroid when I conceived this baby. Low amounts even after the placenta is grown can cause many problems. Please look onto checking your levels. It even affects our baby's IQ when it is low. Ray Peat is a good start online.
#13 of 14 Old 11-16-2011, 07:33 PM

Hmmm...haven't had it checked. DD doesn't have any issues with IQ - she's actually advanced. It's worth asking about, though. I see my OB on Friday, so that will be something we'll need to talk about anyways.

#14 of 14 Old 11-16-2011, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't had it checked since being pregnant, but that's interesting.  I have low progesterone and take supplements for it when not pregnant and through the first trimester.  I wonder if that might have been an issue with the last 2 babies since I hadn't yet realized it was a problem.  I haven't had BHs very much since first posting this... maybe that was just a fluke day or dehydration.  I'll bear the progesterone idea in mind if it they come on strong again!

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page