Family friendly states? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-20-2011, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Another random question: How are the family/child laws in your states?  DH is going back to grad school, probably next fall, and we're going out of California for it, most likely Oregon, Washington or Colorado.  The main factor has to be which programs he gets into, but we really want to move somewhere the state government will leave our family alone. 

Cali just passed that dumb law (without votes) that kids 12 yrs and up can be given STD vaccines without parental consent, with NO accountability, and parents are held responsible for any negative outcomes.....  irked.gif  WTH???  They would have no way to access medical records, know for sure if the child was already vaxed or has allergies/reactions to shots, or know family history unless by some miracle, the child knew all that, and I can't know about it and just have to trust my kids will stand up for themselves.  And yet, I am responsible if they coerce my kid into getting a shot.  Ummm, screw you, california.... not MY kids!  It's not the only law I hate, but the worst one so far, and they're starting to show a trend in interfering with parents' rights over their kids. 

So how are the laws where you live?  Hands-off or do you worry how the state will interfere with your family, especially in the states I mentioned? 

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

#2 of 9 Old 10-21-2011, 08:24 AM

Texas is pretty hands off - someone might get snippity at you, but there's nothing they can really do about it.

#3 of 9 Old 10-21-2011, 09:00 AM

Colorado.  Don't want to vaccinate your kid?  Turn the card over, sign, hand back.  Done.

Janel47 likes this.
#4 of 9 Old 10-21-2011, 06:23 PM
JMJ

About a year ago (so some things could be out of date), I did a matrix of state laws on vaccine exemptions, homeschooling, and midwife-assisted home birth, and the top 6 (meaning midwives are legal, philosophical exemptions allowed for vaccines, and nothing more than notification of the state required to homeschool) were Arizona, California, New Mexico, Texas, Utah, and Wisconsin.

States that we could also work pretty well were Arkansas (required test scores for homeschooling), Colorado (test scores for HS), Idaho (lay midwives are legal, but no licensing), Louisiana (test scores for HS), Maine (lay midwives inferred to be legal, test scores required for HS), Michigan (lay midwives inferred to be legal), Minnesota (test scores for HS), Oklahoma (lay midwives inferred to be legal), and Washington (test scores for HS).

States that absolutely wouldn't work for us were because midwives were illegal (Alabama, Washington DC, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, and South Dakota.  We also excluded the two states that don't allow anything other than medical exemptions for vaccines: Mississippi and West Virginia.

The rest were maybe's, and I'm not going to go into all the details, but if you want to know on any states specifically, I can let you know.  Oregon was a maybe because they don't allow philosophical exemptions for vaccines, so if you want to not vaccinate, you've got to make a religious or medical exemption work for you.  You also have to send in test scores if you want to homeschool your kids, but on the plus side, they have both licensed and unlicensed midwives.  As someone who lives in Utah with a similar law, I have really learned to appreciate this.  I try to give birth with midwife pairs where one is licensed and the other is not.  The licensed midwife can carry pitocin shots and other drugs in case they are needed, and the unlicensed midwife is allowed to be the attending midwife in births that are over 42 weeks, twin births, breech births, etc.

#5 of 9 Old 10-21-2011, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that info.  I know California is good on those counts (my dd is vax exempt, we're having a homebirth and I was the product of homeschooling here) but really crappy on other things... it's such a weird mix of "allow everything" and "take away rights while no one is looking".  I guess this is going to be a hard thing to figure out because of stuff like that.

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

#6 of 9 Old 10-22-2011, 09:57 AM
JMJ

Yeah, it's hard to get below the surface to what the political culture really is.  I used to live in Washington, very close to Oregon, and I would choose WA over OR any day.  Home birth is actually pretty common in WA.  I don't know how things went with vaxing because my parents had us vaxed (though they didn't seem to have a problem declining the Hep B when it first came out, even though I was at the right age in school and remember them lining up entire classes my age to get the shots, with parental permission).  OR just has some really strange laws, beginning with you can't pump your own gas.  The state sponsored propaganda sometimes gets a little out of hand as well.

I'm sad to hear about the new vax law in CA, especially since that's one of the places we'd consider moving to.  I'm guessing it's an extension of the laws that are pretty much everywhere that you don't need to contact parents before you give their kids any kind of contraception, and again, the parents are responsible for any side effects that their daughters experience from the birth control or if it fails after giving their kids a false sense of security.

#7 of 9 Old 10-22-2011, 10:57 AM

Right now North Dakota is pretty awesome. I know it doesn't sound very exciting! However, the job market is huge! Honestly I think every business in our city (about 40,000) is hiring. There are so many opportunities right now with all of the oil in our state. North Dakota is very family friendly! They accept vaccination exemptions. I've found a great family doctor who is open minded. For school/daycare, I can simply sign the expemtion area. There really aren't any laws about lay midwives so there are a few in our state. One who serves the majority of the state and has been doing it for something like 28 years! Most people don't think of ND so I thought I'd share! :)

Sara - - PreK Teacher, Birth Doula, Wife to Shaun (8/13/05), Mama to Caleb (8/17/06), Chance (6/22/08), and Brielle (10/31/09) - - - winner.jpg

#8 of 9 Old 10-22-2011, 01:36 PM

Wow... that makes me really grateful for Texas' "government has no right to interfere with my life" attitude.  I had no idea other states had laws about stuff like that!

#9 of 9 Old 10-22-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaprek View Post

Right now North Dakota is pretty awesome. I know it doesn't sound very exciting! However, the job market is huge! Honestly I think every business in our city (about 40,000) is hiring. There are so many opportunities right now with all of the oil in our state. North Dakota is very family friendly! They accept vaccination exemptions. I've found a great family doctor who is open minded. For school/daycare, I can simply sign the expemtion area. There really aren't any laws about lay midwives so there are a few in our state. One who serves the majority of the state and has been doing it for something like 28 years! Most people don't think of ND so I thought I'd share! :)

I spent my first 23 years in North Dakota (Bis, then Fargo for college), before moving to NY last summer. I miss it!! ND has been in the news a lot lately for being an awesome place to live :)

Allicyn- wife to my geeky Air Force Engineer, Brandon
Mommy to Audrey (February 2007) William (February 2009) and Eloise (August 2010)
Pregnant with twins due Spring 2012!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page