Advice from the experienced mamas, please? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-25-2011, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

AHA! I signed up for their emails and promos, but not the actual rewards program. Thanks! I just signed up. And that for the offer to mail the coupon, I'm sure I'll get one soon.  :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizsky View Post

I signed up for their rewards program and they mail 20% off coupons just about every month.  I also noticed that they would usually put one in my bag with my receipt when I made a purchase.  I'd be glad to mail you the next one I get, as I only shop there very occasionally.  Although you may receive one soon if you've signed up for the rewards program.  If I recall, 20% off my pump was something like $50 so it was significant!   Best wishes!  

Baking a cupcake at 98.6°. This little lady is due early March 2012.

***4***8***12***16****20***24***28***32*ecbaby.gif*36***40**

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 12:35 PM

I'm not caught up on all the posts, but wanted to add my thoughts.  

I am a one-sized cd mama, because, I am.  Worked out well for daycare, as I'm a ft working mama.  My DD is 3, and we're expecting #2, so here's my must have list:

A stash of cd's, pail with wetbag, cloth wipes and warmer.  The cloth wipes are so much easier, because we don't have to sort them out or throw them away separately.  Just wash with the diapers. The warmer seems excessive, but it keeps them moist and free from any kind of bacteria that might otherwise grow on cold wipes.   A good travel wetbag is made by Wet Happened - or you can use a plastic bag.  

A bassinet, cosleeper, or packnplay with bassinet attachment.  This is essential to keep baby close for the first few weeks, though a whole packnplay was NOT on my list.  We barely used ours, and I'm glad we purchased a used one.  

Car seat.  Because you will probably have to take them in a car at some point.  And if you want a stroller, I'd start with the frame ones that clip the carseat in like http://www.amazon.com/Graco-SnugRider-Infant-Stroller-Frame/dp/B0007KMUH4   They are light, easy to use, and very good for infants.  We only used that, and later an umbrella stroller, but you can take time to gauge what you need after baby arrives.  

A bouncer seat - for showers, doing dishes, cooking, etc.  There will be times you will need to put baby down, and when wearing might prove too difficult or dangerous.  These are great because you can strap them in, some have more bells and whistles than others, and many kids like to fall asleep in them (if you're desperate like I was, I'd do whatever works!).  I loved the bjorn, and it's nice to keep baby off the hard floor sometimes. 

Oh, a contoured changing pad.  If you plan on using a dresser or tabletop, this is a must have.  Otherwise, a changing table, or something.  But, have a plan.  You'll have baby on this about 10+ times a day when they first get home.  We did diapers, newborn baths, got dressed, everything here...  Save your back and neck! 

Nursing pillow - frankly, I have a boppy, and kinda don't like it.  The best thing I used was the throw pillows on my couch, because they are flexible and could contour the baby.  Any place to put your feet up while nursing is comfy, but you don't necessarily need an expensive chair - I liked my coffee table just fine.  

If you are going back to work, then a pump.  I used the Medela Pump N Style, and you'll need a set of bottles to go with it.  It's less stressful to start pumping early, figure our your supply, get a good stash, and also get baby acclimated to taking an occassional bottle BEFORE you go back to work.  I exclusively pumped for a long time, and this pump was great!  The Lansinoh bags tend to leak when you thaw them, but they freeze very flat - so you really MUST use a container (like a pyrex measuring cup) to thaw them in.  The Medela ones are good too, but don't freeze flat enough.  And if you'll be pumping at work (or away from home), nursing bras are great (but wait to see what size you'll need - I went from a small A to a big C).

You'll need clothes, something for burp clothes, 

Otherwise, hold off on the swing (borrow one if you can), stroller, sling/carrier, toys, swaddlers, gates, high chair, bibs, - a bathtub you might need after a couple of weeks (the ones with the attachable hammock/sling are nice), baby toiletries (soaps, lotions, oils and such - you can get sample sizes in the hospital of body wash), thermometer (esp. if/when you are vaccinating), pacifiers (we barely used them, but once in a while they were critical - free in hospital), baby blankets for the floor and outdoor trips.

Steal, I mean, stock up on as many free samples and things in the hospital as you can.  I still use those blue bath buckets for puke buckets with my DD, and the water jug for baths.  Their hats also stay on the best for newborn sized heads.  

And now this post got really long - so I'm stopping.  :)

Old 10-26-2011, 12:39 PM

Oh, it's worth setting up a Babies R Us registery and setting your due date a few weeks early, because they send you a coupon (I think 40%) to complete your registry after your due date!  I'm only registering for the coupons this time as it's our second child (not customary in our family).  

Old 10-28-2011, 11:09 AM

Here is my two cents:)

We LOVE our moby and our Ergo. Moby is great for a newborn and Ergo is great for older guys. I still 20 weeks pregnant use my ergo for my daycare baby girl and my own son who is 2 going on 3!

The baby swing that swings side to side and PLUGS IN is a MUST have! Baby girl daycare baby is in that sucker much of the day. My 3 yo was and my 1yr old daycare baby boy was in his day!

The bouncy chair is nice for little ones too. You can bring it in the bathroom is your a nut about baby crying, or set it up on the table while you fold laundry. Its a safe nest for baby and has a toy bar for when baby gets a bit older.

Infant carseat. We do have a used one, though usually its not a good idea. Ours was our daycare baby boys and I'm aware that they had no collisions and such:) Though ours was free if spending the money I suggest a seat that goes higher than 22 lbs. For a baby boy 22 lbs is sometimes as little as 5mos old! A girl about 9mos! Either way a short short time!

Highchair later of course! A jumperoo was a fave around here!

As for things to skip, Well we didn't like that in bed co sleeper much at all. Our bed is queen sized and it left us little room for ourselves. We are trying the cosleeper. We got it used for 15 bucks though:)

I would also suggest you resist the urge to buy pink pink pink! Pink is fun and surely baby will get plenty. I would stay with white, yellow, and green sleepers, and onesies though. It will save you later when you have a boy!

Living a life like no one else, with my husband, and all our children
Old 10-28-2011, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I second the idea of getting a seat that fits higher than 22 lbs. We borrowed a seat, and DD was too tall for it at 4 months. I'm really glad I didn't pay for the seat since we had to go out and buy two convertible seats for our cars.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
Old 10-28-2011, 09:08 PM

For carseats, it would certainly be simplest/most frugal to get a convertible one and skip the infant seat.  If you do want an infant seat, I know some people feel like the higher weight limit infant seats are better, but I personally wouldn't worry about the weight limit...I rarely lifted the infant seat out of the car after DD hit 15 pounds or so because her weight plus the weight of the seat (another 8lbs) started to wear on my arms.   I can't imagine lifting a 22lb+ baby plus a seat ~30+lbs and carrying it very far!  Maybe I just have pathetic arm strength?!  If she fell asleep, I was usually able to slip DD into a sling and bring her in the house without her completely waking up.  

I found the forums on carseat.org to be very helpful because there are tons of professional carseat installers on there who know a ton about specific seats and specific cars and what might work best for a particular family's situation.  It was actually really good for me to learn that the most expensive or popular ones, are not necessarily better than some of the cheaper or lesser known ones.  

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

Old 10-29-2011, 05:00 AM

Here's my list. Sorry if it's long. :) I tend to ramble and be super wordy. Sorry! We are extremely poor and my budget for baby stuff is basically zero. I got everything from Freecycle, hand-me-downs from friends, made it myself or went without.

MUST HAVES:

-fold-over and snap tees with no crotch (no pulling over baby's head, no wicking from diaper, easy to change) long and short sleeve

-baby gowns (easy diaper changing and keeps baby warm while sleeping, no annoying snaps to deal with in the night, don't have to stuff feet into footies)

-a couple of sleep sacks (baby will just kick a blanket off, keeps them safely warm at night, easy unzip for diaper changes)

-one stretchy wrap carrier (like a Moby)

-one sling (for quick trips in and out)

-one mei tai or Ergo type carrier

-wool covers are preferable. Four or five of each size (I hate the pull-on kind of soakers because if you have a poopy blowout, it smears it all down baby's legs. UGH!) I hate PUL, but it'll do for me if I can't get wool. Snaps last longer, but are hard to do up in the middle of the night. I prefer to have some snaps and some aplix.

-at least five AIO or pocket diapers for leaving the house. Nothing ticks me off more than having to change a baby on my lap while sitting on the toilet because a store doesn't have a diaper changing table and my prefolds are falling on the floor and unfolding while I'm trying to hold baby still and refold the darn thing with my other hand)

-a backpack style purse (I hate diaper bags and won't lug one around. I have a 1 gal size backpack purse that will fit 3 or 4 cloth diapers and some wipes along with my wallet and keys)

-a small wet bag (or you can carry a plastic grocery bag in your purse, but those aren't washable)

-at least 2 different types of silicone pacifier. I hate pacifiers, but if your baby ends up screaming in the car and there's nothing you can do, it's better than having nothing on hand to try.

-convertible car seat (they last longer than infant car seats, so they are less wasteful and often cheaper)

-something to put the baby in if you have to put baby down. Some like bouncers, some like swings or bassinets. I like something I can set on the floor next to the shower so I can have a quick wash and rinse

-bed rail or sidecarred crib for when baby is a bit bigger. I like both. The sidecarred crib gave us more room in the bed.

-lots of receiving blankets (swaddle baby, cover your Boppy, use as emergency diaper, put one in purse to cover changing tables, use as burp cloths, etc. so useful!)

-different types of socks. Some kinds baby will be able to kick off in five seconds. Some they won't be able to get off. Same with hats.

-nursing pads (I like cotton)

-small plastic package from disposable wipes. I like to put in a few wetted cloth wipes and stick in my purse for on-the-go diaper changing. A sandwich bag will work, too.

-Diapers: (if you use prefolds, about 2-3 dozen prefolds with 4-5 covers and 5 pocket or AIOs for travel) (if you use only pocket or AIO, about 2 dozen seems like it will do it) Everyone says they hate the Gerber prefolds but I wholeheartedly disagree! I prefer them to any type of prefold. They are thin, yes! That's the problem others have with them, but I adore them because they dry super quick, they are the right size and thickness for a newborn, and when baby is a toddler, you can just double them up and use two and it's like a regular prefold. So much nicer, I think. Diaper pail. No warmer. I just hold the wipe up to my mouth and breathe through it or hold it in my hand for a couple of seconds to warm it. Warmers use a LOT of electricity.

-wool piddle pad. This has saved me SO many times from having to get up in the night and change the sheets on the bed and crib. I made my own by felting an XXL men's wool sweater and just cutting out the front and back. VOILA! Two free piddle pads. Other moms felt wool army blankets and cut them in quarters.

-a Boppy type nursing pillow. This is probably my #1 baby item next to a baby carrier

-a little natural baby oil. It seems to help with diaper rashes a bit and also helps the poo come off. I use it sparingly and rarely, but when I need it, it's a boon.

-diaper ointment cream (I've needed it now and then, just a little sample-sized tube of Burt's Bees)

-Weleda Calendula cream or something else for your nipples such as Lansinoh. I bought pure lanolin once and it was awful. Thick and greasy and pretty much useless.

-Dr. Sears "The Baby Book" answers more questions than any other baby book out there, even some our natural-minded doctor didn't know!

-your local La Leche League group and the number for the LLL leader.

NICE TO HAVE:

-a breast pump, even if you plan to stay home and EBF. I EBF, but I like to pump an ounce or two in the evenings. It helps keep up my supply and it provides a safety net just in case of emergency. If I'm hospitalized or something happens, I like knowing that my baby will have a few days' worth of breastmilk in the freezer if I can't come home to her. I like my Medela hand pump. If you don't use the extra milk, you can just donate it to a mom that needs it.

-nursing tops. I have never used any. I just pull my tank strap down or pull up the side of my shirt and no one can see. Might be nice to have some, but def. not necessary.

-a car seat that pops out into a carrier. I would never carry my baby in one, but putting baby in the car RF is sometimes very difficult in a small vehicle (I drive a Beetle). It would be nice to put baby in the seat in the house, then transfer the seat to the car, especially in cold weather when you have to make adjustments.

-toys. Babies are really just happy with whatever you give them. I sewed lots of little things out of rags that DD loved.

KIND OF USELESS, IMO:

-onesies. I hate pulling them over baby's head and they almost always wick for me when baby is in a cloth diaper. If you have a poo blowout, you have to pull it off over baby's head and poo can get everywhere. Not fun.

-baby shorts/pants. For a newborn, I can't think of anything more annoying. I hate pulling pants onto a tiny baby that isn't walking yet and the waistbands must be so uncomfortable on their little tummies. Hate 'em.

-crib sets (so dangerous), especially crib bumpers, play yards, pack & plays, walkers, bouncers, Bumbo, mobiles, baby shoes, music machines, cosleepers (the sidecar type, baby just grows out of them in a couple of months), high chairs until baby is much older, most baby milestone books, lullabye music (baby would much rather hear YOUR voice), almost anything made of plastic.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
Old 10-29-2011, 03:26 PM

Question "-wool piddle pad. This has saved me SO many times from having to get up in the night and change the sheets on the bed and crib. I made my own by felting an XXL men's wool sweater and just cutting out the front and back. VOILA! Two free piddle pads. Other moms felt wool army blankets and cut them in quarters."

Does this go directly under baby?

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
Old 10-30-2011, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

This thread is packed with so much great info! I know I'll come back to it often. :) Thanks, amberskyfire, for so many great tips!

Baking a cupcake at 98.6°. This little lady is due early March 2012.

***4***8***12***16****20***24***28***32*ecbaby.gif*36***40**

Old 10-30-2011, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieL View Post

Question "-wool piddle pad. This has saved me SO many times from having to get up in the night and change the sheets on the bed and crib. I made my own by felting an XXL men's wool sweater and just cutting out the front and back. VOILA! Two free piddle pads. Other moms felt wool army blankets and cut them in quarters."

Hmm...I'm guessing the baby lays on it. We would put down a mattress protector, sheet, then another mattress protector and sheet. That way we could rip off the tip layer in the middle of the night without worrying about making the crib or co-sleeper again. We might do the felt thing this time, since we have a decent washer that I can felt with. (BTW - if you felt inside a fabric delicates or laundry bag that is sealed, it'll keep any loose hair from gumming up the washer.)

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
Old 10-30-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieL View Post

Yes, it goes under baby's lower half. So, baby in bed next to me on top of unprotected bed, diaper on baby,  piddle pad under baby's diapered bottom. Or if you go diaper-free, you can just place a couple of prefolds over the pad and lay baby on it for diaper-free time. If the piddle pad is a 1/4 blanket sized one, you have to secure it to the bed with diaper pins at the corners.

They can get damp if baby leaks heavily, but if you have more than one, you can just toss it in the wash and grab the other one.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
Old 10-30-2011, 02:37 PM

All baby really needs is mamas arms and mamas milk. My son loved his swing but this time around I'm going to try just holding the kid more. Lotsa things I'm gonna do differently this time...

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
Old 10-30-2011, 11:11 PM

Some of my must-haves:

Cloth Diapers: Half a dozen kissaluv newborn fitteds, a dozen mother-ease one-size diapers, at least 36 prefolds, 6 or so Thirsty covers and a couple Disana wool covers.   A 13 gallon kitchen garbage pail with two PUL liners.   Lots of cloth wipes and a few good waterproof changing pads (PUL covered with cotton, for example).  If you're using cloth and out-and-about, you'll want a couple wet bags that fit inside a diaper bag.

Nursing:  A tube of lansinoh lanolin, a nursing pillow (I used a Boppy) and some breast pads (though I had low supply and never needed them, you might), a phone number of good local lactation consultant - just in case.  A safe nursing necklace is fun for baby.

Car Seat:  I like the Britax Marathon 70 convertible.

Crib:  I side-car'd the crib next to the bed so I needed to get it set up well ahead of time to make it even with the mattress, etc.  The one thing I splurged on was a Naturepedic mattress.  If baby is co-sleeping in bed with you, some wool puddle pads or a safe waterproof mattress cover (Naturepedic makes one)

Clothing: I liked sleep sacks at night because they made changes easier, extenders for one piece clothing gave us extra wear-time.  My son didn't really care to be swaddled.

Accessories:  A baby swing, baby carrier (which brand is hugely a personal preference but I'd not recommend a sling type carriers), a play yard and jumper (I didn't use these much but a few times they were very handy - this depends on lifestyle, etc.)

Health: A safe baby toothbrush, baby nail clippers, a good thermometer, a nose bulb syringe

Toys:  As a baby, my son's favorites were the visually (black/white/red contrast colors) and tactile type of toys.  Lamaze has a lot of cute ones.  Get a few things you feel comfortable with baby chewing on - cotton toys are nice.  I honestly think many of the things on the market today are almost over-stimulating.  We had one of those playmats and looking back at videos of my son laying on it with so much going on - he was totally overstimulated. :D

Food:  Stock up on freezer meals!

You'll have plenty of time to get a lot of the other things - high chair, any additional feeding supplies, etc.  I wish with my first I hadn't bought as much as I did upfront because it took me a little bit to adjust and figure out what I liked and what worked.   For instance, we bought a stroller and baby car seat.  The baby car seat only got a little use and the stroller, zero.

User Tag List