Names - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 11-12-2011, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My MIL was surprised by our name choice (Benjamin) because she thought I'd want to name my son something less traditional. She was right, but I pointed out it was her son who did not like my less common name choices. Plus, I was adamant that my sons sound like siblings. Bob and Ben seem pretty sibling-like to me. We've been using the name in conversation in reference to the belly so we feel good about it.

I'm also an aspiring novelist, so names always have some type of character feel to me. Benjamin could be a leading romantic interest or the protagonist hero.

Mom to two boys and expecting a babygirl.gif in May, 2014!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 55 Old 11-13-2011, 08:33 PM

I'm stuck on two names - - Caroline and Adelyn.  Love them both!

treehugger.gifnovaxnocirc.gifdp_femalesling.GIFwool.giflotbirth.gifcaffix.gifribbonjigsaw.gifcd.gif

#33 of 55 Old 11-13-2011, 11:19 PM

If you guys like babynamesworld, they used to have a fabulous forum that splintered off a couple of years back to become it's own website.  Nameberry.com  There are lots of ... um... name snobs? over there, but it's good for advice and feedback, just expect anything normal to be scoffed at somewhat.  The lists there are good too for finding names similar to others you like or whatever. 

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

#34 of 55 Old 11-14-2011, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I didn't know that was how nameberry started -- neat!  I like it there, but I do worry that it is kind of it's own little naming subculture and these more "out there" names start to feel normal, and I Iose perspective.  :P  I mean, I'm kind of trying these names on for size, and I will sometimes take a step back and think, "Are we seriously going to name a kid Orion? or Magnus?  Is that too much?"  But some of our other kids have names that are almost as out there (Darwin, Solomon, Miriam, Rasmus, Anders), and the world hasn't ended because of it or anything, and I don't think any of them dislike their names (yet).  That's also why they have "normal" middle names like James and Peter.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#35 of 55 Old 11-14-2011, 08:24 AM

I know what you mean... after spending a few days on Nameberry, I start hating anything in the top 1000 and loving random weird names.  But another day or two and I realize that everyone on there loves the exact same things, so they're all into popular names, they just don't realize it.  haha! 

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

#36 of 55 Old 11-14-2011, 08:40 AM

I love nameberry, but I got so immersed in the site that I began to doubt my traditional name because it's too common. Although when I posted it on their forum, I got approval from most berries.  I do worry my kid will be one of five with the same name, but then I think of the numbers and know that's not likely. My name, Kimberly, was the 8th most popular name in 1979 and I was only one of three Kims in my graduating class of 500. I think he'll be fine, although when anyone has a boy, I'm quick to ask "What did they name him?"

Honestly, most of my friends have selected a name from the top 30 and we still have no repeats.

#37 of 55 Old 11-24-2011, 10:52 AM

Our list is up in the air again.  As much as I like Magnus, I don't want a repeat inital (we have an M name already) and it is so similar to one we already have (Rasmus).  That means Morris is out, too, because of the M.  And dh just vetoed Orion.  :P

Elias (Eli) might be on our list; I think dh will end up vetoing that one, too.  We like Cal names, but can't find one we both like enough.

Dh likes V names; I just vetoed Varian, so now I'm trying to find names with a V in them as a compromise.  I like Everett and dh hasn't vetoed it yet.  It's a good, strong name.  I'm stuck on Laurence today.  Dh vetoed Lorenzo, but Laurence might work.  And I love the nns Lore and Ren.  If we went with Laurence, we could use one of our more out-there names as a middle.  Maybe Laurence Varian, or Laurence Vital, or Laurence Revere.  Too bad Laurence and Magnus basically sound the same at the end, otherwise we could use it as the middle name.  I also like George Magnus today, but I'm pretty sure dh won't go for George.

#38 of 55 Old 11-24-2011, 12:39 PM

We're liking Avery Reed. It's growing on us, and everyone else seems to like it, too. It goes well with our little Emma Rosemary, as well.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#39 of 55 Old 11-24-2011, 01:59 PM

Avery Reed is sweet, and it does go nicely with Emma.  I like Av- names.  Our youngest's first and middle name initials are AV.  I occasionally call him A.V., so it sounds like Avery, but without the R in the middle.

#40 of 55 Old 11-25-2011, 08:06 PM

DH announced this morning that he likes Conor over Ian. And then again tonight he said Conor is starting to win him over. Of course we've already called my bump Baby Ian so now what? lol At least I don't totally hate Conor; I think I like Ian more though. We'll see. We're still feeling it all out. We might wait until baby is born take a look at him and see what we think. I really really love Niall, but there is no way DH would go for that spelling and Neal doesn't feel right for some reason.

Mom to DD 12/2009; married to wonderful hubby 1/07.
#41 of 55 Old 11-26-2011, 04:43 PM

I'm really liking Amber for a girl right now. I also like Mallory but I don't like what it means.

For boys, Corbin is top of my list, and DH really likes Landon (family name.) I like Emery too but I don't want  people to think I named him after emery boards lol.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#42 of 55 Old 11-27-2011, 03:28 PM

So I'll admit that I REALLY love the boys name "Noam" which means "pleasant one."

We decided if we named our boy AFTER someone it would have to be Noam Chomsky. Just because all that he signafies!

Although I don't think many people would recognize that?? Who knows!

#43 of 55 Old 11-28-2011, 06:03 AM

Faither -- how do you feel about compound names?  I think Ian Conor has a nice flow as a two-name first name.  Like the kid on Arrested Development (George Michael?).  I've also heard Ian Michael recently.

SpiderMonkey -- I recognize Noam Chomsky, but if I met a kid named Noam, I wouldn't assume he had been named after Chomsky.  So if you're starting a survey, that's my answer.

It looks like Gideon has joined our list.  It was pretty naive of me to think that we could narrow it down to 2-3 names this early on.  I haven't been crazy about Gideon before, but I'm liking it now.  Maybe because I know we've eliminated so many names and I'll have to stop being so picky if we want to name this kid!  But it goes fits fairly well with our other kids' names, it's unusual but not completely unfamiliar, it's strong without being over the top, and we don't already have a G name.  Right now, it's my favourite of the names on our list.  I was trying to convince dh to go with Ludovic this weekend.  He likes the name Luke, and one of my arguments was that Luke (Luc) could be a nickname for LUdoviC.  I don't think he's going for it.

#44 of 55 Old 11-28-2011, 12:33 PM

I studied Noam Chomsky in grad school and I admit that if a little boy named Noam approached me, I'd never assume it was because his parents were fans of Chomsky. But if he told me he was named after Chomsky, I'd then think, "Those are some smart rents."

I think Brisen is on to something with a compound name but I'm wondering if it should be hyphenated. With Ian & Conor both being short names to begin with, it could easily work as Ian-Conor.

#45 of 55 Old 11-28-2011, 01:14 PM

Same as the others... I've read some Chomsky but I wouldn't think of him automatically if I heard of a child named Noam.  But I like that... too obvious a reference and it might detract from the name bearer, you know? 

#46 of 55 Old 11-29-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen View Post

Faither -- how do you feel about compound names?  I think Ian Conor has a nice flow as a two-name first name.  Like the kid on Arrested Development (George Michael?).  I've also heard Ian Michael recently.

I would go for that. BUT the only problem is we already have a middle name. We plan on using DH's grandmother's maiden name as the middle name for this child. DD's middle name is my mother's maiden name. I tried to get two middle names with DD but no luck. I like the idea of two names but DH will most likely think it's "too complicated." Although I will mention it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mom to DD 12/2009; married to wonderful hubby 1/07.
#47 of 55 Old 11-29-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageR View Post

Share your own name ideas, offer some ideas to other mamas, and so on...:)

We need some serious name help.  We had a nice list of girl names but nada for boys.   Our last name is unusual and we always have to spell it for people.  So we want something short, easy to spell, and possibly Irish.  It cannot start or end with R, and no -een in there either.

My dh mentioned Angus yesterday which I don't hate, and I love the nickname Gus, but he would want to call him Ang like the Avatar which I do hate.  I really love the name Eamon but I think it is too close to dss Aidan.

what about Keiran?  or is that too close to the -een.  Or Killian?  There is also Tristan- all of which have Irish roots and i particularly like and are on our boy list!

#48 of 55 Old 01-17-2012, 05:02 PM

Your husband is Israeli? Tzion is a great name, but I must let you know that it is really a boy's name here. Tziona is used for girls. I recently met a Bat-Tzion and there are other variations on that theme. I'm happy to kick around Hebrew names with you if you need any help. And yep, they are quite common. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post

Dh does the naming, mostly.  We do names from his culture, and he knows the best ones with the awesomest meanings. :D

My input for this one, though, will be Israel for a boy, and Tsion (Zion) for a girl.  Both a quite common in his country.

I really am digging on the name that you've picked. Super cute. I would have pronounced Annely wrong, but you totally would have corrected me and I would have been like "oh, wow, neat." and we would have moved right along. It's no biggie. Spell it the way that brings you joy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollsworth View Post

It is looking like we may have a name! Hubs is negotiating a list of demands in exchange for the name I want, but he not so secretly loves it too. ;) Hey, for a lifetime's worth of a name I will certainly do the driving a few nights. It seems this little lady will be called Ellis Annely.

Ellis was my great-grandmother's last name. Annely is from my Dutch host sister. I was an exchange student in the Netherlands and love Dutch names. But I need advice from you all: Annely should be pronounced like Amelie but with an N instead. I don't want people to pronounce it incorrectly (Ann-ely) so we are considering changing the spelling to Anelie. At the same time, it is a middle name so it won't be used often anyways. Thoughts?

And I'll put out some of the names we considered but won't likely be using:

Girls:

Lilla
Elodie
Rowen
Quincy
Luca
Remi
Linden

Boys:
Harrison 
Quentin 
Bennett 
Miles 
Roman 

I'm *kind of* crashing. I'm actually due at the end of Feb...but I lurk every now and again on here. Hey, I COULD go over. (Please G-d NO!!!!) lol.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#49 of 55 Old 01-17-2012, 05:06 PM

I posted but saw this and I know you didn't ask for this, but I also really loved the name Noam and pronounced it like Noam Chomsky before I moved to Israel, but be forwarned, it IS a popular Hebrew name and by those in the know, it would be pronounced in the Israeli way which is "no-ahm." I have no idea what the odds are of you running into people who would pronounce it that way or if it even matters, but when I think of the name Jesus, for example and then think of the Spanish pronounciation, it is REALLY different sounding and can be kind of touchy. Just a head's up. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMonkey View Post

So I'll admit that I REALLY love the boys name "Noam" which means "pleasant one."

We decided if we named our boy AFTER someone it would have to be Noam Chomsky. Just because all that he signafies!

Although I don't think many people would recognize that?? Who knows!

#50 of 55 Old 01-19-2012, 02:37 AM

Hey, thanks for the input! :) We had a semi last minute name change since we are announcing it at my shower this weekend. Instead of Ellis Annely we ended up with Mila Annely. Hard to get used to after all those months of calling her Ellis to myself, but I have a feeling Mila is going to be a better match for her personality. Gut instinct.

I love the due date crashing! Have you picked a name?

I look at this MDC board very rarely anymore since I'm usually on our FB board (feel free to join!), but I love hearing others' names, so I will check back here. :)

Quote:

I really am digging on the name that you've picked. Super cute. I would have pronounced Annely wrong, but you totally would have corrected me and I would have been like "oh, wow, neat." and we would have moved right along. It's no biggie. Spell it the way that brings you joy!

I'm *kind of* crashing. I'm actually due at the end of Feb...but I lurk every now and again on here. Hey, I COULD go over. (Please G-d NO!!!!) lol.

Baking a cupcake at 98.6°. This little lady is due early March 2012.

***4***8***12***16****20***24***28***32*ecbaby.gif*36***40**

#51 of 55 Old 01-19-2012, 02:50 AM

Mila is a cute name, too. I've thought about it myself. It means "word" in Hebrew, which is my second language.

Our first was called "Lia" until I was about 8 months pg and then I said "you know what, this isn't right...it's close, but not right." And we found her name shortly thereafter and it was weird to switch, but it was the right move.

With all the babies that followed, though, we had a few names with a definate forrunner but just called baby "baby" until the baby was born and we could look at him and see if it was the right fit. I guess what I'm saying is that you might realize after you meet her that there is another name that is screaming out at you and you might need to change again! :) And that's okay, too.

My People believe that we are given Divine Inspiration at the naming of our children. That they come into the world with their own names and we are given a holy gift of insight at exactly the right moment to cause us to name them the correct name. I really like this teaching, mostly because I find that it is true! lol. There are so many people who say "but I would have NEVER chosen that for a name as my first choice" but whatever reason or circumstance came about, the name ends up being chosen and ends up being perfect for the baby. Your name will be perfect, too.

On that note, we've got our short lists for boys and girls (we don't know what we are having) and I'm trusting that we will know the right name when the time comes...G-d Willing. lol.:)

The March group looks way more active than the Feb group, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollsworth View Post

Hey, thanks for the input! :) We had a semi last minute name change since we are announcing it at my shower this weekend. Instead of Ellis Annely we ended up with Mila Annely. Hard to get used to after all those months of calling her Ellis to myself, but I have a feeling Mila is going to be a better match for her personality. Gut instinct.

I love the due date crashing! Have you picked a name?

I look at this MDC board very rarely anymore since I'm usually on our FB board (feel free to join!), but I love hearing others' names, so I will check back here. :)

#52 of 55 Old 01-19-2012, 12:19 PM

We are considering Cearul, which is pronounced like Carol. DH loves the meaning and is very drawn to the name, but worries about the fact that Carol is a girls name. Even though Cearul,(and Carroll, which is an alternate spelling) is/are boy names. He says he would feel a bit like he was naming him Sue, a'la Johnny Cash. It is an Irish name, which I love, I'm a first generation American, my parents came over from Ireland, but none of our kids have even remotely Irish names. :(  Soooo..... What do you all think? Would we be subjecting him to a life of teasing and fights, or given the spelling would people not really think of it that way?

#53 of 55 Old 01-19-2012, 12:42 PM

The name looks so cool on paper, but I think he'd be in for a lifetime of spelling and pronouncing and explaining.  If I just saw that name I would likely pronounce it see-RUL because in English the "e" after a "c" would make the "c" say its soft "s" sound.  And the correct pronunciation Carol is probably thought my the vast majority in the US as a female only name.  Most people he'll encounter in his life won't be seeing the spelling, however.  Most times, especially in younger years, it is just meeting face to face and saying, "My name is______.  What's your's?"

Personally, I would be a little hesitant to pick this name but that said, I love unique names.  Ultimately its what you are comfortable with.  Good Luck!

#54 of 55 Old 01-19-2012, 01:35 PM

That is exactly the reservation! LOL, "Hi I'm Carol", yeah....... 

The funny thing is that when we mentioned it to my mom, she instantly asked about the double r double l spelling. So clearly it was relatively common where she grew up. Sadly, that is not where we live :)

ETA common as a boys' name.

#55 of 55 Old 01-21-2012, 03:02 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carroll_O'Connor

I love this actor. And for me Carroll is definately a boys name. As for the spelling, I think it's cool if you want to do it but my point is that when he says his name, no need to think he's a "boy named Sue."  Thumbs up from me!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page