Names - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 10-25-2011, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Share your own name ideas, offer some ideas to other mamas, and so on...:)

We need some serious name help.  We had a nice list of girl names but nada for boys.   Our last name is unusual and we always have to spell it for people.  So we want something short, easy to spell, and possibly Irish.  It cannot start or end with R, and no -een in there either.

My dh mentioned Angus yesterday which I don't hate, and I love the nickname Gus, but he would want to call him Ang like the Avatar which I do hate.  I really love the name Eamon but I think it is too close to dss Aidan.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 55 Old 10-25-2011, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Cormac and Callum are two Irish names that fit your other criteria.  Lochlan isn't Irish, I don't think, but it has a similar feel.  There is Finn, Finley, and Finnegan, which isn't too short.  Bruce and Orin are Irish, I think.  

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#3 of 55 Old 10-25-2011, 04:51 PM

I've already talked about our name lists a bit, but I love talking names, so I'll post about them here, too ;)

Girls:

Helen Glenna Margaret

Eleanor Glenna Margaret

Laurel Glenna Margaret

possibly just Glenna Margaret or Glenna Violet

Boy names, we're not nearly as settled on.  Walter Bruce is a possibility for a double middle name.  We also like David, Paul, and Richard as middle names if we choose a more unusual first name, and Faust or Varian to go with a more traditional first name.

First names:

Morris (but we would call him Moss; Morris is a family name)

Roman (or maybe Ronan or Rohan or Rowen)

Levi/Leviticus (I prefer the first, dh prefers the second)

Julian (or maybe Julius) with nn Jules

Orion

Luke

Magnus

I have some vetoed names, mostly boy names, to offer to other moms:

Lochlan

Lorenzo (I like the sound of it, but it is a lot of name.  But so many good nns -- Lore, Loren, Lorrie, Ren, Rennie, Enzo, Zo.)

Felix

Hendrick

Ludovic

Soren

Hyrum/Hiram

Hieronymos (again, love the sound of this name, but it's a lot of name.  Hiero is a great nn, though, and I think he could go by Jerome if he wants to tone it down)

Meredith

Mirabel

Mallory (can you tell I like M names for girls?)

Louisa

Josephine

Penelope

#4 of 55 Old 10-25-2011, 06:05 PM

How about:

Sean

Declan

Brendan

Duncan

Grady

Liam

Ronan

Seamus (probably something you might have to spell out for someone depending on who you talk to -- but still a really awesome name)

Check out http://www.nameberry.com

an awesome baby name site and super fun

Good luck!

Mom to two boys and expecting a babygirl.gif in May, 2014!
#5 of 55 Old 10-25-2011, 06:09 PM

If anyone wants to help me out, I'm stuck for a boys name on the slight chance it is a boy. (I feel super girl vibes).

DS1 is Robert nn Bobby

So I would like something that works with that. A formal name for the birth certificate but a nickname to be called by.

I'd like a name that isn't too common, maybe something underused but still sounds fresh and has nickname potential. Tall order, maybe, but fun to brainstorm.

#6 of 55 Old 10-25-2011, 06:12 PM

Could I hijack just a teensy bit to beg for help too? My wife has the name Peregrine running in her family as a girl's name and I would love to use it but I need a nickname I can stand!

The current holders of the name go by Bird and Pippin respectively -- what on earth else can people think of besides Perry?

Beth, SAHM to the little french goose, 6/17/09 and my little panda bear 2/6/12. I nursed with low supply, domperidone and a lact-aid for 18 months!
#7 of 55 Old 10-25-2011, 06:58 PM

Beth -- How about Reggie?  Ginny might work.  Or Nina (from the -in sound at the end)?  Maybe Penny?  Really, I'm just grabbing a few random letters here and adding cutesy ending sounds, lol.  But if you can get Bill from William or Dick from Richard...

#8 of 55 Old 10-25-2011, 07:12 PM

Bobbys:

Walter, nn Wally

Douglas, nn Doug(ie)

Thomas, nn Tommy (it's a really common name, but I don't think it's very popular now, and hasn't been for a little while)

Daniel, nn Danny

Arthur, nn Artie

Patrick, nn Paddy

Louis, nn Louie

Wilson, nn Sonny

Simon, nn Si

Tobias, nn Toby

Sebastian, nn Bash

Isaac, nn Ike

August(us), nn Gus

Theodore, nn Ted/Teddy

Lincoln, nn Link

Jasper, nn Jazz

Abraham, nn Bram

Frederick, nn Freddy

Edward/Edmund, nn Eddie

Solomon, nn Sol or Solly or Manny (maybe that's a stretch)

Samson/Samuel, nn Sam

Nathan/Nathaniel, nn Nat or Nate

#9 of 55 Old 10-26-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassnBeth View Post

Could I hijack just a teensy bit to beg for help too? My wife has the name Peregrine running in her family as a girl's name and I would love to use it but I need a nickname I can stand!

The current holders of the name go by Bird and Pippin respectively -- what on earth else can people think of besides Perry?

Rin?

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#10 of 55 Old 10-26-2011, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen View Post

Cormac and Callum are two Irish names that fit your other criteria.  Lochlan isn't Irish, I don't think, but it has a similar feel.  There is Finn, Finley, and Finnegan, which isn't too short.  Bruce and Orin are Irish, I think.  

I considered the C names but...Callum reminds of me of the actor Callum Blue who was in Dead Like Me and played a really skeazy character.  Everytime I think it in my head I think of his face.  And Cormac reminds me of the author McCarthy, who wrote the equally terrifying and depressing The Road - so when I think that name I have visions of a post apocalypse world.  Associations are a serious problem for me!  We like Finn but we know another family with our older two sons' names and a Finn so we don't want to go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbys View Post

How about:

Sean

Declan

Brendan

Duncan

Grady

Liam

Ronan

Seamus (probably something you might have to spell out for someone depending on who you talk to -- but still a really awesome name)

Check out http://www.nameberry.com

an awesome baby name site and super fun

Good luck!

I like Declan and Seamus but Dh doesn't, and we already have two of the other names.  I'll check out that sight though.

To go with Robert/Bobby - Mitchell/Mitch, Harrison/Harry, Bennett/Ben, Wesley/Wes, Griffin/Griff, Anderson/Andy

CassnBeth - How about Pippa? Is that too close to Pippin?  I think that's usually short for Phillipa but I think it's adorable.

#11 of 55 Old 10-26-2011, 08:29 AM

I actually have some of these on my current list which is only reinforcing them as a good names.

I am really partial to Abraham nn Bram. I think that sounds so cool.

And Frederick. And Edmund (classic).

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen View Post

Bobbys:

Walter, nn Wally

Douglas, nn Doug(ie)

Thomas, nn Tommy (it's a really common name, but I don't think it's very popular now, and hasn't been for a little while)

Daniel, nn Danny

Arthur, nn Artie

Patrick, nn Paddy

Louis, nn Louie

Wilson, nn Sonny

Simon, nn Si

Tobias, nn Toby

Sebastian, nn Bash

Isaac, nn Ike

August(us), nn Gus

Theodore, nn Ted/Teddy

Lincoln, nn Link

Jasper, nn Jazz

Abraham, nn Bram

Frederick, nn Freddy

Edward/Edmund, nn Eddie

Solomon, nn Sol or Solly or Manny (maybe that's a stretch)

Samson/Samuel, nn Sam

Nathan/Nathaniel, nn Nat or Nate

#12 of 55 Old 10-26-2011, 09:38 AM

Dh does the naming, mostly.  We do names from his culture, and he knows the best ones with the awesomest meanings. :D

My input for this one, though, will be Israel for a boy, and Tsion (Zion) for a girl.  Both a quite common in his country.

#13 of 55 Old 10-26-2011, 01:20 PM

Ian for a boy and Claire for a girl. Ian is Scottish for John which is after my husband's grandfather. A little twist on naming someone after someone else.  The middle name is my husband's paternal grandmother maiden name. DD's middle name is my mother's maiden name. Those two took months to narrow down. :-)  DD is named Molly, the Irish version of Mary, after my mom.

I LOVE the website "Behind the name.com" for the meanings behind names and how popular they are. It also lists related names. We tossed out a couple early on that we thought were too popular. DH was one of 5 Tom's in his homeroom alone and really didn't want any DC to have too common names.

Mom to DD 12/2009; married to wonderful hubby 1/07.
#14 of 55 Old 10-26-2011, 01:41 PM

I love the "twist on naming after someone else" idea.  I have one of those.... Jocelyn after grandma Joyce.  :)

Uuuuurrrrggggghhhh.... names.  I might just need to see this baby before I come up with anything.  DH claims he is being helpful, but I think he's given me 2 names he likes that aren't jokes. Otherwise, a ton of vetoes. 

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

#15 of 55 Old 10-26-2011, 10:08 PM

Faither, I must say I'm quite partial to the name Molly. Good work. ;) I have accumulated lots of fun nicknames over the years, from a name the is hard to shorten. My faves have been mollsworth and mollywogs. Does your DD have any nicknames?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faither View Post

Ian for a boy and Claire for a girl. Ian is Scottish for John which is after my husband's grandfather. A little twist on naming someone after someone else.  The middle name is my husband's paternal grandmother maiden name. DD's middle name is my mother's maiden name. Those two took months to narrow down. :-)  DD is named Molly, the Irish version of Mary, after my mom.

Baking a cupcake at 98.6°. This little lady is due early March 2012.

***4***8***12***16****20***24***28***32*ecbaby.gif*36***40**

#16 of 55 Old 10-26-2011, 10:18 PM

It is looking like we may have a name! Hubs is negotiating a list of demands in exchange for the name I want, but he not so secretly loves it too. ;) Hey, for a lifetime's worth of a name I will certainly do the driving a few nights. It seems this little lady will be called Ellis Annely.

Ellis was my great-grandmother's last name. Annely is from my Dutch host sister. I was an exchange student in the Netherlands and love Dutch names. But I need advice from you all: Annely should be pronounced like Amelie but with an N instead. I don't want people to pronounce it incorrectly (Ann-ely) so we are considering changing the spelling to Anelie. At the same time, it is a middle name so it won't be used often anyways. Thoughts?

And I'll put out some of the names we considered but won't likely be using:

Girls:

Lilla
Elodie
Rowen
Quincy
Luca
Remi
Linden

Boys:
Harrison 
Quentin 
Bennett 
Miles 
Roman 

#17 of 55 Old 10-27-2011, 05:45 AM

When I read your post, I pronounced Annely just as you said it should be. I wouldn't worry about the pronunciation and just honor the Dutch name as it stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollsworth View Post

It is looking like we may have a name! Hubs is negotiating a list of demands in exchange for the name I want, but he not so secretly loves it too. ;) Hey, for a lifetime's worth of a name I will certainly do the driving a few nights. It seems this little lady will be called Ellis Annely.

Ellis was my great-grandmother's last name. Annely is from my Dutch host sister. I was an exchange student in the Netherlands and love Dutch names. But I need advice from you all: Annely should be pronounced like Amelie but with an N instead. I don't want people to pronounce it incorrectly (Ann-ely) so we are considering changing the spelling to Anelie. At the same time, it is a middle name so it won't be used often anyways. Thoughts?

And I'll put out some of the names we considered but won't likely be using:

Girls:

Lilla
Elodie
Rowen
Quincy
Luca
Remi
Linden

Boys:
Harrison 
Quentin 
Bennett 
Miles 
Roman 

#18 of 55 Old 10-27-2011, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Faither - thanks for the idea of behindthename.com.  A really cool feature is they have real comments from people on the different names.  It has actually made me think twice about another Irish name - apparently some people think all of us Irish-Americans using old Celtic/Gaelic names is pretentious and unoriginal, lol.  Dss and ds1 have very Irish names, which I still love, but when we named ds1 I had no idea that it was such a trend.  Both of their names are in the top 100. We couldn't think of another one we really like so ds2 ended up with a Hebrew name - which I LOVE - and it is still not too trendy/popular (it is on the rise though). It is going to be a hard one to match up. 

Quote:

I said the correct pronunciation in my head too - but I actually like the way it looks with "ie" better.  I know someone with this name and I think she spells it with two n's and an ie at the end.  Anyway, either way it's pretty and you're right - since it is her middle name she will only have to spell it when filling out forms and stuff like that - not that many people are going to be saying on a regular basis.  I will say that for me personally it does get tiresome having to constantly tell people how to spell your name - you would think any literate person would know how to spell "Sage" but you would not believe how often people ask me to spell it.  People always ask me to spell my last name - I actually just do it automatically.  So it's really important to me that this baby's name be easy to spell like my other boys.

Ok, well I am just going to tell you ds2's name so maybe that will spark so more ideas - Jude.

#19 of 55 Old 10-27-2011, 07:02 AM

I don't know how you're supposed to pronounce Amelie -- in French, I think it's like Emily, but with a short A sound.  I would pronounce Annely like that, but with an N -- ANN-uh-lee.  That "uh" looks ungraceful in there, but I wasn't sure how to write it.  It's like you you say the "i" in Emily.  

#20 of 55 Old 10-27-2011, 01:23 PM

We're pretty sure that we're going to use Benjamin as a first name. Just trying to settle on the middle name. We're thinking maybe a form of Andrew, since together we have three grandfathers that had that name. I'm thinking maybe Andres or Andreas, but haven't decided. I also like Gideon, but for some reason people wrinkle their nose at that.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#21 of 55 Old 10-27-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:

Faither, I must say I'm quite partial to the name Molly. Good work. ;) I have accumulated lots of fun nicknames over the years, from a name the is hard to shorten. My faves have been mollsworth and mollywogs. Does your DD have any nicknames?

Hi! When she was a tiny baby we were calling her "Molly Wigglebottom" for some reason. She has ALWAYS been such a mover and now at almost two she's a climber. That early nickname has been shortened to "wiggle" too on occasion. She also gets "Molls" and (My personal fav) Mollybug. I'm guessing she'll grow out of most of them but it's still cute for now.

I LOVE the name Elodie. But DH would never go for it. I'm surprised we were able to narrow it down to two so quickly. We've had other names over the years but it seems like each time I get pregnant all the old names go out the window and we start over. If Molly was a boy she would have been Quentin. Now I wouldn't touch Quentin with a ten foot pole. Go figure. smile.gif I still like the name, I just don't feel like this baby is a Quentin and Molly certainly wasn't.

Mom to DD 12/2009; married to wonderful hubby 1/07.
#22 of 55 Old 10-28-2011, 12:33 PM

We're still debating boy names. We had one, Dastan Cruz, but then I mentioned that I always liked Dimitri (which is still my fave, but hubby hates it) and Dominick. So now DH is thinking Dominick and I think it goes better with our other kids' names (Dorian and Dante), but I was kind of getting used to Dastan! If this had been a girl, we had the perfect name, Elora Quinn, which we both loved. Sigh. At least we have another few months to decide. :D

#23 of 55 Old 10-31-2011, 09:25 AM

There should be a website where you can enter middle/last names and it makes suggestions for names that sound good together!  Maybe there are and I haven't found them!  Or if you know what sound you want a name to end in, and how many syllables...

#24 of 55 Old 10-31-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyamo View Post

Rin?

I was thinking the same thing, but then I wasn't sure if the ending of the name was pronounced Rin or Reen. Although I like both of those as nicknames.

Quote:

I think if people are going to say it wrong, they'll still say it wrong even if there is one "n". I wouldn't worry too much since it's the middle name. Most people ask you your middle name, they don't see it written, KWIM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageR View Post

I will say that for me personally it does get tiresome having to constantly tell people how to spell your name - you would think any literate person would know how to spell "Sage" but you would not believe how often people ask me to spell it.  People always ask me to spell my last name - I actually just do it automatically.  

Oh I know. My name is Erin for crying out loud, I can somewhat understand butchering the spelling (some people don't know there is a difference in the male and female spelling). I'm really shocked at how often it's mispronounced. I thought it was pretty common since I always had at least 2 other Erins in every class growing up.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
#25 of 55 Old 10-31-2011, 06:46 PM

We kinda discussed names in the beginning, but now I'm not sure I like anything we said we liked then. I think I want something a little more unique this time. DD and DS are named Rachael and Luke. I love both of their names, but this time I want something a little more unusual. The problem us that DH is really picky and probably won't go for something uncommon.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
#26 of 55 Old 10-31-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:

DDCing to say:  Okay, so it might be a leap since it isn't derived from the name, but I love the name Peregrine and would probably use the nicknames Piper or Pepper.  I had to look it up, but Perrin is the feminine form of Peter or Peregrine, so could/would you use Petra or just Pete as nicknames? 

#27 of 55 Old 11-03-2011, 05:41 AM

Quote:

I'm a DDC behind you, but thought I'd jump in because I'm also looking at Peregrine but for a potential boy.  I've seen Perrin mentioned as the "feminine" version of Peregrine, and I thought I might use that as a nickname.

knit.gifLaura, mama to my wonderful Wilhelmina (11/08) energy.gif and my precious Peregrine (4/12) babyboy.gif

#28 of 55 Old 11-12-2011, 12:21 PM

I found a helpful website for names the other day.  I've been a bit concerned about how a couple of our names will sound or wear, and I found a site that lets people answer a survey about their own name.  You can see how many people answered the survey for that name, how much they like that name, if they recommend parents use it for their kid, if they were bullied about their name, etc.

Start http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/?navid=BNW_rightRail, search for the name, and once you're at the page for the name, click on the "Considering this name?" tab.  I checked out a couple of our less common names and then a couple of more common names (John, Paul) we're considering for middles.  Many more people answered the survey for the common names, and a smaller percentage of them were happy with their name.  I found that interesting.

I think we may have narrowed down our name list, but dh doesn't want to commit for sure until we have to.  

First names: Orion, Magnus, Morris

Middle names: John Alfred or Paul

Magnus is a family name from way back on dh's side.  But it really rhymes with one of our other kid's names (Rasmus) and it seems a little pompous to me.  Plus someone pointed out that Magnum condoms is kind of similar.  Morris is a family name as well, and we would probably use the nn Moss, but the meaning of the actual name is kind of lacking to me.  Orion is a name we both like, and we don't have any O names yet (we do have an M name) and it doesn't really rhyme with any of the other names (we have a bunch that end in N, but none of them are as close as Rasmus and Magnus).  But I'm worried that it's a little out there.

John is dh's grandfather's name and Alfred is my dad's middle name (we've already used dh's dad's middle name for one of the boys' middle names).  We thought about using our dads' first names, but the initials ended up being an issue.  I like the meaning of John and King Alfred is a great namesake.  Dh and I both just like Paul.

#29 of 55 Old 11-12-2011, 01:09 PM

Thanks for that tip. Helpful website!!

Quote:

Start http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/?navid=BNW_rightRail, search for the name, and once you're at the page for the name, click on the "Considering this name?" tab.  I checked out a couple of our less common names and then a couple of more common names (John, Paul) we're considering for middles.  Many more people answered the survey for the common names, and a smaller percentage of them were happy with their name.  I found that interesting.

#30 of 55 Old 11-12-2011, 03:17 PM

I'm totally stuck on names. We have awhile to decide...but baby names just leave me with the inability to decide. Such a big decision. I was almost 7 months when we decided on DD's name...that will probably be true this time as well. Or, maybe we'll wait like my cousin did to see the baby...

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page