Babywearers... what do you have planned? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-28-2011, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was just browsing around TBW for the first time in maybe two years and it started baby carrier fever like always.  I make almost all of mine, so thankfully that doesn't mean hundreds of dollars like it does for many others.  I'm only 3 weeks from 3rd trimester (eeeeppp!) so there's not much time for crafting anyhow!

Here's what I've got planned:

Ring slings for the first couple of months at least.  I have one, will probably make another.  Mine is super cool for summer... not a great choice for Feb/March.

Mei tai starting at 6 weeks probably.  I have one girlish one and DH has a boyish one.  If we have a boy I might make myself another one since DH's is really suited to a man's build, but no rush.

Will make a soft structured carrier.  I made one for DD2 but didn't use a pattern and it wasn't comfortable.  Using a pattern this time!  Hopefully to use from 6 weeks as well.

Will make a podaegi, probably for an older baby.  Hopefully we'll be moving to a cooler climate when baby is 5 months or so, so a nice cozy blanket carrier will be perfect next fall!

I also have a couple DIY woven wraps, but I doubt they'll see much use.  I hate all that fabric around me! 

Is anyone else thinking of babywearing yet?  Any thoughts/plans so far?

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2011, 01:57 PM

I have a Moby that I used with DD, and plan to use again since it worked so well at the very beginning, and I could zip my big coat up over it.  It will still be cold here in March, so for walks and such, that will be nice.  I have an Ergo too that we'll use when she gets a bit bigger.  My 2 year old DD doesn't like the Ergo anymore, so it will be available!  I had a homemade mei tai that I never got used to/liked.  I just never felt like it was supportive enough.  I have a couple slings too, but never really got the hang of them last time...never could get babe positioned so that we were both comfy and baby's head wasn't toward her chest.  Maybe that is not such a big deal, but all the warnings had me paranoid.

I hadn't seen the podaegi before (had to look it up), but I think it would feel similar to me as the mei tai, just a little too open/loose.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:41 PM

I'm stoked to babywear! I had a moby with my son but he spit up a lot in it. Maybe I did it wrong. I dunno. But now I'm armed with knowledge and determined to make it work.

I bought a ring sling recently to use with my son since other carries make a preggo have to pee lol. The hip carry is working.

I reeeally want a beco and a mei tei or boba.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
Old 10-30-2011, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We used a Maya wrap when DD was a newborn, and then switched to an Baby Bjorn. We also had a couple of those hard-frame hiking backpacks given to us with DD, and we just didn't like them. This time, my back problems are worse, so I think we'll go with an Ergo for him once he's heavier. I think I'll buy some fabric to make a Moby-style wrap for the newborn period, though. I may also get a wrap from my cousin, since her baby will likely have outgrown the Moby stage by that point.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
Old 10-30-2011, 10:40 PM

Has anyone used or heard anything about the Beco Butterfly 2?  I've been considering one.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:10 AM

I've made two "moby" type wraps myself. Later, I'll buy a carrier for when he's a bit bigger. A Beco Gemini maybe? I have to do more research.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:42 PM

I'll be using an Ergo, possibly with the infant insert at first.  With my first baby I was able to use a Hug a Bub wrap for a month or two but my second baby was too heavy for a stretchy wrap.  We went righ to the Ergo and we didn't really even need the infant insert.  I'm anticipating this babe to be at least as big as Ds2.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

Old 10-31-2011, 01:03 PM

Hey Butterfly,

Here is my go-to for reviews right now. http://www.thebabywearer.com/cgi-bin/reviews/review.pl?product

Definitely makes me want to try out the Butterfly, though I'm leaning toward the Gemini and the AngelPackLX right now...guess I'll have to try them out and see.

If you have a chance to try it, let us know what you think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebutterfly View Post

Has anyone used or heard anything about the Beco Butterfly 2?  I've been considering one.

Baking a cupcake at 98.6°. This little lady is due early March 2012.

***4***8***12***16****20***24***28***32*ecbaby.gif*36***40**

Old 10-31-2011, 10:18 PM

Hi baby wearing mamas

I love, love the freedom and attachment time it gives me when bonding and getting to know my new baby. I have wore all three kids so far and can't wait to wear this last blessing. I only wore a ring sling with my first two daughters. My first loved it for almost 3 yrs. My second daughter was down and moving by 8 months ;0( and then I found the moby sling and totally fell in love with the support for the first 2 months it gave me and Gavin's back. I really feel babies should not have their own weight on their spine before they are ready so the packs that only have legs dangle are not good. I did not enjoy my moby with nursing but since have met a lot of mommies that have shown me the proper clothes to wear.

Plus I you-tubed a few creative ways to wrap a nursing infant that is amazing.

Happy wearing!!!!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:31 AM

I'm excited about wearing baby. I have no experience but will be reading a lot on TBW when the time comes. I've registered for a Moby, Mei-Tei, ring sling, and an ergo with the intentions of learning more about each and narrowing it down. My baby is coming right smack in the middle of spring gardening activities. I *really* want a full veggie garden this year; I expect baby's first solids to be entirely home-grown (squash, sweet potatoes, peas, etc., canned in the summer and started around 6mo via BLW). 

Anyway, the point is that I an enamoured with the idea of putting baby in a back-carry as soon as it's safe and we're comfortable with it. I have no idea when that will be. I see some newborn high-back carries are possible, but I would have to read a LOT more about those before trusting they're safe for unexperienced me.

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
Old 11-01-2011, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh118 View Post

I hadn't seen the podaegi before (had to look it up), but I think it would feel similar to me as the mei tai, just a little too open/loose.

It is a lot like a mei tai, but the straps carry all the weight, the body doesn't even have to be supportive fabric.  It is something like using a wrap only you're wrapping straps around you two instead of fabric (yay... I can't stand the fabric bulk!) and the blanket keeps the baby warm (or not if you pick something summer-friendly) and from shifting out of the straps.  It is actually quite supportive. :)

I envy you guys and your Moby love.  I had one for DD2 and got rid of it because of the fabric bulk.  It just drove me crazy... but I'm the only person I know who's like that.  I get the same way when I get blankets wrapped around me at night or wearing a large scarf or things like that.... shudder.

I would love to get a Beco and I'll put it on my registry, but honestly, the price always turns me back to my sewing machine.  ;) 

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

Old 11-01-2011, 12:47 PM

I have a full stash of slings... I've been a little purchase happy since this is my first baby. :D

I have a moby, a mei tai (Kozy), a Portable Baby Wrap, and a random pouch I don't think really fits.

I'd LOVE to get some kind of short woven, a Boba 3G for when baby's a bit bigger... and a Bali Baby Stretch in Cybele... which can't be found ANYWHERE anymore!  :'(

Old 11-01-2011, 12:57 PM

Does anyone wear the fitted "peanut" slings? I tried to find one that fit when I was pregnant with DD, but I never found any that fit right. I've seen a few people with them, but it seems a ring sling would be more practical since it adjusts to fit.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
Old 11-02-2011, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

I never liked the pouch slings.   I didn't find them to be as comfortable, supportive, or adjustable as a ring sling and it's really hard to find a good fit without trying one on. 

Old 11-02-2011, 12:52 PM

We have a local kids store (wouldn't really call it boutique...too big) that has one of every carrier they stock out and available for you to try on. They show you how to use them and you can use a doll if you don't have a baby yet. I just couldn't get ANY of the pocket slings to fit. I saw a lady with one the other day and the baby seemed to love it, but DH commented on how strangely high the baby was sitting. She was about 7 months and her head was up by mommy's.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:59 PM

I love my Moby for those snuggly newborn days.  I have a BB Slen wrap that was made into a ring sling from Sleeping Baby Productions that is great when baby gets a little bit older and is super easy for popping baby in and out (I don't use a car seat as a carrier).  Then I have a BabyHawk Mei Tai when we need a little more support.  And after that I LOVE my Beco Gemini.  That will be my go-to carrier for the rest of our babywearing relationship.  I was still wearing DD in it before my belly got too big.  I've tried some other ones here and there but these are my favorites and the ones that work best for me.   

“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” 

- Gabriel García Márquez

Old 11-02-2011, 05:18 PM

I have a HotSling and an Ergo. My last kid wasn't really into babywearing, and I never tried it with my first. This one doesn't have a choice b/c I won't have any more free hands, LOL!

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
Old 11-03-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameragirl View Post

We have a local kids store (wouldn't really call it boutique...too big) that has one of every carrier they stock out and available for you to try on. They show you how to use them and you can use a doll if you don't have a baby yet. I just couldn't get ANY of the pocket slings to fit. I saw a lady with one the other day and the baby seemed to love it, but DH commented on how strangely high the baby was sitting. She was about 7 months and her head was up by mommy's.

That's how they're supposed to sit.  To be really comfortable (especially on the front) baby's bum should be around your belly button.  Any lower screws with your back.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:56 PM

It was much higher than you'd typically seat the baby. Her bum was actually at mom's breasts. It just looked...uncomfortable and a little wobbly.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:32 PM

i have a nice stash of woven wraps. they are all didymos and natibaby. i have an ergo and a boba also. i hang out on tbw all the time and love to try out whatever new wraps i can get my hands on. i can't wait to wrap this little bebe. my toddler is surely going to want to worn too, so i see a lot of tandem wearing in our future. the only other thing i think i am going to get is a wrap converted to a ring sling. i love babywearing!

Lauren

bellycast.gif 

Old 11-07-2011, 10:03 AM

I have a sleepy/boba wrap that I LOVE and then ergo when he gets older. I was so sad that I never found a good wat to carry both of my twins at once but did trade off between the two of them a lot. 

twin boys born 11/28/08, pregnant with #3 due 3/13/12

Old 12-04-2011, 08:45 AM

This is my first, but I've been really leaning toward the Ergo and the Moby.  My husband doesn't like the idea of the moby bc he doesn't think it will be good for my back (I have lower back pain problem due to a car accident 5 years ago).  I think it seems like a good idea, though, for just keeping the baby with me in the house, etc.  But it also seems like I could just get a big piece of fabric and make one?

As to the Ergo -- he and I both liked the design, style, support, etc. It's important that my husband feel like he could use it, too, because he'll have to carry the baby if we're on a longer wakl.   But when I saw it in a store, I have a question -- it looks like the baby's legs would be spread REALLY far apart; how does that work out? Especially for a new baby?  Does the insert have the baby keep his legs together? 

Old 12-04-2011, 12:16 PM

The insert keeps the baby's legs in the "froggy" position - tucked up against his stomach.  As for a moby, there are tons of tutorials out there if you want to make your own.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollsworth View Post

Hey Butterfly,

Here is my go-to for reviews right now. http://www.thebabywearer.com/cgi-bin/reviews/review.pl?product

Definitely makes me want to try out the Butterfly, though I'm leaning toward the Gemini and the AngelPackLX right now...guess I'll have to try them out and see.

If you have a chance to try it, let us know what you think!

Hmm, now I don't know which to try, the Butterfly II or the Gemini!   I think I lean toward the Butterfly II because I like the inner panel.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:01 PM

I had the Gemini on my registry, then found the Butterfly II for $80 on Cyber Monday so now it is in the mail headed towards my house! :) I like the inner panel too. Can't wait to use it!

Baking a cupcake at 98.6°. This little lady is due early March 2012.

***4***8***12***16****20***24***28***32*ecbaby.gif*36***40**

Old 12-05-2011, 01:39 PM

I live in Guatemala, so I just tie a sling using the traditional suti, which is just a big square of fabric that is folded into a triangle and tied over one shoulder. I learned to use it while volunteering at a children's orphanage long before my bubs came along and continued to use it with both my sons. We'll probably have a baby backpack for when he's a bit bigger.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:48 PM

I'm already re-searching Soft Structured carriers, even though we'll be starting off with wraps and mai tais (and don't even know if we'll be able to use SSC's with his casts/braces).  I like the Boba 3G, but the Ergo has the whole matching backpack/waitspacks, which would would work REALLY well for a diaper bag (which I've been stressing about as well).  

I like matching.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:27 PM

We used and plan to use again, the Gemini.  I love it especially for nursing.  Before I purchased I borrowed the Butterfly from a friend, while I loved it and still think it is probably a lot easier to back carry with the insert, I found it diffuclt to breastfeed in.  I liked that the Gemini had no barrier between DD and I.  Having said that, my friend still nurses her 14 month old in the Butterfly and has no issues with it.  She did say however it was more difficult at first and got easier to navigate the insert as her baby got taller. 

Good luck, there are so many great options. :)

Mama to Madelynn 8/16/2009 and awaiting buggy #2 March/2011 , partner to DH

Old 12-08-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnastasiaM View Post

This is my first, but I've been really leaning toward the Ergo and the Moby.  My husband doesn't like the idea of the moby bc he doesn't think it will be good for my back (I have lower back pain problem due to a car accident 5 years ago).  I think it seems like a good idea, though, for just keeping the baby with me in the house, etc.  But it also seems like I could just get a big piece of fabric and make one?

As to the Ergo -- he and I both liked the design, style, support, etc. It's important that my husband feel like he could use it, too, because he'll have to carry the baby if we're on a longer wakl.   But when I saw it in a store, I have a question -- it looks like the baby's legs would be spread REALLY far apart; how does that work out? Especially for a new baby?  Does the insert have the baby keep his legs together? 

All Moby wraps and other similar carriers are is a very long piece of fabric.  So it would be pretty easy to do one yourself.  If you have back problems then it might be good to get some fabric that has minimal stretch to it. I found that my carrier got kind of stretched out easily, so I would get very uncomfortable and need to re-wrap often.  If I tried to wrap it really tightly I would leak milk all over the baby and he would leak pee on me through his diaper covers.  A woven wrap probably would have been better for us but since the Ergo worked I never bothered gettting anything else.  Now I think I want one!  A benefit to doing your own is that if you don't like it or when you're down using it you can re-purpose the fabric.

It sounds like the Ergo will work well for you too.  I've never had sore anything using ours. And I love how easy it is to adjust and put on. Unlike a wrap there is not much of a learning curve so almost anyone can use it. My dh, my mother, my father, even my dss have used the Ergo.  Oh, and you can use it for a long time. I carried both my babies until they were over 2.  To use an Ergo with a newborn you can use the insert (or I've heard people just using blankets) and put the baby in kind of diagonally like a little taco, or you can have the baby totally upright with his legs tucked up and crossed over each other.  IIRC if you buy it new it will come with a dvd with instructions on how to use it safely.  I'll bet you could find something on The Baby Wearer and maybe even Youtube.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

User Tag List