Any other homeschoolers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-01-2011, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Pregnancy has definitely thrown most of our homeschooling plans for a loop, good thing we are partly unschoolers ;)  I'm just so tired and still feeling sick off and on at 20 weeks.  Anyone else?

Nicole

Nicole, mama to a seven year old wonder and a three year old joy and caretaker to 3 kitties and 9 hens. 

#2 of 11 Old 11-01-2011, 08:29 PM

I plan on homeschooling (DD will be 5 in a couple of weeks). I was going to start this year, but decided not to once I found out I was pregnant. I didn't want to deal with the added stress of making sure I got her schooling done with a new baby.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
#3 of 11 Old 11-01-2011, 09:03 PM

Nicole!

How cool. I have home schooled my kids the whole time 11, 8 & 4 (well not him) now for 3 yrs really following their passions, lots of play totally unschool. It is fun, busy and sometimes we get bored in between finding new things to explore. We have moved from Mich to Colorado in the last yr + and have met so many great people. ;0) Can't wait to share this new addition with them all. This is our last chapter.

Angela
#4 of 11 Old 11-01-2011, 09:38 PM

I have always homeschooled.  Oldest is 11.  Some years have been pretty laid back when I have had hard pregnancies, but this pregnancy I have felt great.  We are having fun studying Ancient History this year.  We have a pretty cool timeline we like to add to.  And we love just reading together and doing fun projects.

#5 of 11 Old 11-02-2011, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sigh... I'll be lurking here.  Our oldest went to JK for 2 months, and we had homeschooled since then up until this fall.  He just turned 12.  Dh has been getting antsy about getting him into school for a year or two now; he's very much in favour of public schooling for older kids.  So we had registered him and I was looking at spending the rest of the summer working on math with him, since we realized that they don't do late registrations for fall birthdays here, and so he would be starting gr. 7 instead of gr.6, which is what I was going by.  Then this pregnancy happened and kicked my butt, and dh said maybe this year, we should but the next two in school as well, so I can get more rest and not have to divide my attention between so many at home.  We went back and forth about it and ended up putting them both in (which meant doing math catch-up with our second as well, as he also has a fall birthday).  

Anyway, in my mind, I still feel like I'm in "homeschooling mom" mode, and it's a little sad for me when I see a thread like this and then realize, no, that doesn't apply to me now.  It's like I lost the job I've had for the last 8 years.  Hats off to you ladies who are hanging in there!

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#6 of 11 Old 11-02-2011, 08:22 AM

Oh hugs to Brisen

What a big adjustment for all of you. At least you know it doesn't have to stay with them in school unless it is working perfectally. After baby you could then keep them home. Just a thought.

#7 of 11 Old 11-02-2011, 04:26 PM

We home school our DD, and she's doing kindergarten this year. We chose K12 through a local district this year to have the backup just in case. DH was laid off awhile ago, so he's been helping me with the lessons. Sometimes we split the lessons, and sometimes he does them all if I'm feeling crummy.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#8 of 11 Old 11-02-2011, 10:23 PM

We are homeschoolers. Well hybrid. Ds is in a program to got to school tiwce a week and we homeschool the other three times. We do classical education. I love this way of schooling on so many levels.

me, wife and mama to ds ('06) and dd ('07), my miracle dd ('12) and surprise ds (5/14) and to plenty pets!

twinsbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif2/11, lost another twin brokenheart.gif 8/11

#9 of 11 Old 11-03-2011, 03:07 AM

We use a cyber school, but I am the primary teacher.

It was *hard*, starting the school year and being in the first trimester.  Getting a little better now.  But I have *not* been able to start our work until 10 am, which frustrates me because I much prefer an early start and an early finish.

#10 of 11 Old 11-03-2011, 10:25 AM

I'll be homeschooling!  But since that's a few years away.. not much I can contribute here. :D

#11 of 11 Old 11-03-2011, 04:58 PM

I'm homeschooling, actually a second generation homeschooler! But like you, it's been thrown off by being so sick. Then we went to Canada (which was educational in itself) and now I'm swamped with work, so it's been tough, but we're hanging in there. My guys are 4 and 5, so they don't need hours of schooling or anything. It's still a struggle sometimes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page