Name help please (it's short and easy, but need opinions) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-02-2011, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is Rowan too close to Ryan?  My nephew is Ryan and I don't want to cause drama there (there is plenty just below the surface as it is) but Rowan is our favorite boy name so far.  Half of me thinks it's too similar and half of me thinks it's definitely a different name.  Opinions?

Also, Ryan's sister and my DD1 have rhyming names and I don't want to sound like I'm doing some weird form of name stealing... what do you think?

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 12:13 PM

I don't think they are too close. Their sound is similar, and I don't think they'd be a good choice of names for brothers, but for cousins I think it's just fine. (And I love the name Rowan!)

Oops, just realized this was a DDC post. Sorry for crashing, I saw it on the front page!

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

Old 11-02-2011, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes, fine for cousins. Not for brothers unless you are doing the twin match-y thing.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:46 PM

I love Rowan! SUPER cute name!! I agree that for cousins it shouldn't be a big deal :)

Old 11-02-2011, 05:14 PM

I don't think it sounds too similar, and I think you should choose whatever name you want and don't worry about anybody else. You're going to have a third girl anyway (at least that's my guess) :P

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
Old 11-02-2011, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!!!  That makes me feel better.  :D

Erin--I think so too... although everyone seems to be having surprises lately (expecting to have a girl and finding out it's a boy or visa versa) both online and in real life.  I don't have a prediction for you yet.  ;)

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

Old 11-02-2011, 11:14 PM

I don't think its too close at all! Aaaaaaand Rowan was one of the top names on our list (we're going with Ellis, I think), so needless to say, I LOVE the name. :)

Baking a cupcake at 98.6°. This little lady is due early March 2012.

***4***8***12***16****20***24***28***32*ecbaby.gif*36***40**

Old 11-03-2011, 07:48 AM

Great name! Fine for cousins.  I know a family with a Ryan and a Ronin (similar sound to Rowan), and it doesn't seem to be an issue even with siblings.

Rowan is nice for a boy or a girl, too.  I know one of each, it's very sweet :)  If my dh would consider an alliterative name I would suggest it for our baby.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

User Tag List