Car advice - Mothering Forums
March 2012 > Car advice
Lolafanana's Avatar Lolafanana 03:52 PM 11-12-2011

Hi everyone- What do you all drive?

We have 2 kids so far so our Honda CRV will be a bit tight come March.  We are not completely convinced on a mini-van, even though that does seem the way to go.  Moms of more than 2:  What do you drive, do you like it and why?

treehugginhippie's Avatar treehugginhippie 07:37 PM 11-12-2011

We have a mini-van. We had a Toyota Camry w/ 2 kids before and it was great. But once we got our 05' Toyota Sienna, we were like, "wow, we should've gotten one sooner". Though, we don't have 3 kids yet. But reasons why I love my mini-van: Lots of room for more people, drives great and is very easy to manuveur...I can park it much easier than the Camry, lol!, I can put furniture, etc like it was a truck (VERY quick and easy to put the seats down flush) and love the safety ratings. There may be more reasons but these are the ones that I can think of.

Janel47's Avatar Janel47 07:36 AM 11-13-2011

We've had a Camry (with one baby) and a Civic (with 2) and I think it's inevitable that we have to go larger as well!  We are trying to scrape up enough money to buy our friends' Toyota Sienna, so that will probably be our next vehicle.  DH has driven it and loves it.  The small cars are great on the wallet, but totally worthless for driving anyone else or trying to get up hills and mountains (which is occasionally an issue for us) or moving anything.  Thankfully, our friends are in no rush to sell, so we can keep saving until the baby comes at least.

ChiaraRose's Avatar ChiaraRose 09:05 AM 11-13-2011

We had a Subaru Outback and just splurged on  a Honda Odyssey and I love it. Very reluctant to go Minivan here, but now that I have it, really nice to drive, so much space. It doesn't feel much bigger than my Outback, so parking no problem either. And so many feature, i didn't even know a car could have:)

I call it my couch or house on wheels! 

cocoabean8's Avatar cocoabean8 03:39 PM 11-14-2011

I drive a Ford Excursion Diesel...Ford doesn't make them anymore, but I love it.  I will drive it til it dies.  If something were to happen, we'd likely get a Ford Flex....I love and need lots of passenger room!

biffer's Avatar biffer 04:13 PM 11-15-2011

Sorry so long but here it is:

I had a scion Xb then had the twins and threw the snap n go in the back of that. When they grew out of their snap n go I had to trade cars with my husband because the twin stroller wouldn't fit in the back of the Xb. The twin stroller took up almost all of the back oh my husband's outback and it got hard to find a place to put all the diapers and food when going shopping with the boys stroller in there. When they were a little over a year old my father in law wanted to come visit and we realized that if we went anywhere with him we would have to take two cars so we decided to bite the bullet and get a Honda odyssey. We chose it for the best crash rating, the best gas millage, and the best repair record. I'ts been almost 2 years now and I have to admit I hate being lumped in with the whole mini van driving group and it is a PITA that I have one of the millions of silver odysseys out there (can't tell you how many times I walked up to the wrong car. I now just look at the license plate # before getting my hopes up). BUT the van is amazing. I have taken it on many 2hour + trips and even to Disneyland (7 hours) and it has been awesome. We even pull the car seats out and use it as a truck or just this last weekend had 6 adults comfortably ride 2 hours to a friend's wedding. I hate to admit how handy it is but it really has been a life saver and with baby #3 on the way a total necessity now. 

Lolafanana's Avatar Lolafanana 04:18 PM 11-15-2011

thanks for all the replies.  please keep recommending!

I am kind of feeling like we are going to have to bite the bullet (along with you, biffer!) and get the mini-van.  i must admit the honda odyssey is really nice as far as mini-vans go.  my husband does not want an odyssey howvever, since there are so many out there!

I keep having these ideas that i can somehow keep my cr-v and just squeeze #3 in it.  baby would fit but it would be tight and think get annoying quickly. 

mamathomas's Avatar mamathomas 09:28 AM 11-17-2011

DH just bought me a Ford Edge last month.  I had a Camry but wanted/needed more space before #2 arrives.  Three car seats easily fit with no issues whatsoever - I checked it out to be sure in case we want one more kiddo in the future.  I absolutely love it!  We looked at the Flex too but I personally wasn't interested in that much car; not yet at least ;)  If you're not sure about a mini-van I would definitely check out crossover-style cars.  Good luck!

justKate's Avatar justKate 05:57 PM 11-19-2011

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamathomas View Post

DH just bought me a Ford Edge last month.  I had a Camry but wanted/needed more space before #2 arrives.  Three car seats easily fit with no issues whatsoever - I checked it out to be sure in case we want one more kiddo in the future.  I absolutely love it!  We looked at the Flex too but I personally wasn't interested in that much car; not yet at least ;)  If you're not sure about a mini-van I would definitely check out crossover-style cars.  Good luck!

DDC crashing from April.  Just wanted to add that I have an Edge too, and the 60/40 split in the rear seat can make RFing a convertible in the center position a PITA.  Not sure if the newer models have resolved this, but basically certain seats (TrueFit and Britax, for two) when RFing in the center, will tip into the crack between the seats because of its position.  The crack lines up with the bottom support of the seat, and a tight install pulls it into the crack. I ended up moving DD outboard because I wasn't comfortable putting anything between the seat and the carseat to keep it from tipping.  I think a bucket in the center or a convertible seat with a mat-thing under it would be fine with the crack.  Just wanted to put it out there.

But yeah, I love my Edge in every other way. 

Up