What else can I eat?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 11-16-2011, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
JMJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

First, please don't hate me.  I'm struggling with getting enough to eat.  At my last appointment, my midwife caught me with protein in my urine.  I make food for my daughter and I, and she eats a lot of it, so part of my problem is just that I need to make more when I make food, but really, I'm struggling with the fact that I'm tired of all the foods I've been eating and need some more ideas.  Specifically, I'm tired of nuts, yogurt, crackers, cheese, and eggs.  I'm eating lots of fruit and veggies (slathered in butter), but I need more calories, and I need them to be available quickly, without cooking a whole meal.  Anybody else in a mid-pregnancy rut, and what are you eating?

#2 of 17 Old 11-16-2011, 04:41 PM

I was in your boat early in the pregnancy.  I needed protein every 2 hours during the day or I would be non-functional, but it was hard to get that much in.  Some of my favorites were: Laughing Cow cheeses (I know you said no cheese, but these are really more like spreads, easy to add to fruit and veggies, crackers, bread, whatever), I always kept a bag of hamburgers in the freezer (or veggie burgers if you prefer) and pan cooked them when I needed something like a big meal but fast.  Also, you could cook up a hearty meal or double a recipe or something and freeze portion-sized leftovers to pull out when you need it.  What about hummus? 

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

#3 of 17 Old 11-16-2011, 06:24 PM

JmJ

Not sure why anyone would "hate" you. ;0) Anyway, have you made those coconut crackles I posted? They make a lot and store in fridge for easy snacking. They are great to spice up your yogurt. There is also a recipe for 3cups of nuts with 1 cup of dried coconut mixed with raw cocoa, honey & coconut oil? This sets up in the freezer. I also soak and dehydrate all my raw nuts. I make a double batch of granola with dried fruit and store in the fridge. Green smoothies using water.

What about a high end protein shake powder. My oldest is on one that has good Ingred. It sounds like no meat house for you, correct? I am always bored with our diet and searched online for some books and found "raw energy foods" all snackie stuff super easy to make especially if you have a vita mix. High protein too. Then my friend mentioned to search other cultures when I was stumped on breakfast ideas. Hope this helps!
#4 of 17 Old 11-16-2011, 06:31 PM

Can you get down smoothies? That gets me a dairy serving (yogurt), a fruit serving or two, and I can add in fiber or protein powder I need it. I keep all of the frozen fruit baggies in the same area of the freezer so it is easy to grab and go.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#5 of 17 Old 11-16-2011, 06:37 PM

If smoothies are something you find pallatible  you can throw 'spirulina' into milk, hemp milk, coconut milk and a banana to make it thick....nice extra protein - and although i focused on low sugar - im sure you could find a way to 'fatten'  it up!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#6 of 17 Old 11-16-2011, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
JMJ

Wow, I realized I do sound vegetarian in that post.  Actually, I follow a traditional foods diet, just a bit lighter on meat than a lot of other TFers.  I'm just not tired of my meaty stuff, just usually eat it at meals rather than snacks.  I have some uncured bacon or smoked salmon with breakfast most days (only a little, though - high quality stuff gets expensive!) and then meat with dinner.  Maybe I should look at some more meat-based snacks.  I also need to do better at keeping some soup in the house.  I also like the hummus idea, or I'm thinking I could try sprouting some mung beans or garbanzo beans to snack on throughout the day.  I also need to revive my sourdough starter and start making some bread again.

Madeitx2, I did make some of your coconut crispers, and I loved them... mostly on yogurt and as part of a nut-based grain free "granola," so that kinda fits into foods I'm tired of as well.  I do have a vitamix, though, so if you have some great and easy recipes, I'd love to hear them.  I'm not big on protein powder, but I'm still enjoying kefir smoothies.... except DH ate all my frozen fruit for this week.

#7 of 17 Old 11-16-2011, 07:51 PM

I don't have great quick snack ideas, but I usually make big batches of things (like enough for 6-8 servings even though its just me DH and DD) and snack on them for several days.  The cooking methods I'm finding "easy" with a toddler underfoot are roasting and slow-cooking, because neither one requires precision or much monitoring.  

I think roasted veggies make a great snack, and if I include red or sweet potatoes it is more filling.  I usually toss with olive oil, sea salt, and spices.  I've also been making beef stew, lentil soup, and black bean soup in my slow cooker- they take a while, but usually I can throw in all the ingredients in the morning and its ready that afternoon and lasts for a while.  

My favorite filling meal that I made recently did require a good amount of prep and monitoring (made on the weekend when DH was home), but it really hit the spot as it had plenty of protein, fiber, vitamins/minerals.  It was a chicken/chickpea/veggie/peanut curry (chicken, chickpeas, peanuts, onions, mushrooms, carrots, green beans, snow peas, broccoli, bell peppers, zucchini, spinach in a sauce made from curry paste, peanut butter, coconut milk and a few more spices).  Took a full hour to make it, but got me out of the rut I had been in!  And I filled my wok until it was almost overflowing, so we've been enjoying it for days :)

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

#8 of 17 Old 11-16-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

First, please don't hate me.  I'm struggling with getting enough to eat.  At my last appointment, my midwife caught me with protein in my urine.  I make food for my daughter and I, and she eats a lot of it, so part of my problem is just that I need to make more when I make food, but really, I'm struggling with the fact that I'm tired of all the foods I've been eating and need some more ideas.  Specifically, I'm tired of nuts, yogurt, crackers, cheese, and eggs.  I'm eating lots of fruit and veggies (slathered in butter), but I need more calories, and I need them to be available quickly, without cooking a whole meal.  Anybody else in a mid-pregnancy rut, and what are you eating?

I'm in a bit of the same boat.  I often make food for me and my son and sometimes I'm not sure I eat enough.  I do seem to be gaining well.

If you need calories, pasta and rice dishes are quick and easy higher calorie meals.   I recently made some spanish rice that I just couldn't get enough of.  I tossed in some cooked chicken for extra protein.  I also eat a lot of cheese for snacks and it does get a little old but I found a recipe for a quick cheese tortilla soup that was pretty tasty.   Oatmeal makes a quick, filling snack and you can add peanut butter (or sunbutter) for extra protein.   I like making all kinds of breads ahead of time and stashing them in the freezer for quick snacks.  Homemead breads, pancakes, cornbread, muffins, banana bread, waffles, etc.   I also recently made some potato soup and jambalya which was a nice change.    A simple baked potato loaded with toppings is a great quick snack if you have/use a microwave.  Sweet potatoes too.  And I agree with the previous poster, roasted sweet potatoes (and other veggies) tossed in olive oil are simply delicious.  If you have some time, try chopping up potatoes, sweet potatoes, red pepper, carrots and the key flavor giver - a red onion.  Toss it all with a little olive oil, vinegar and thyme and roast on a baking sheet.  MMM!

#9 of 17 Old 11-17-2011, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I also tend to make big batches of meals and just heat up a bit when I need a snack.  I really like chili for this, or chowder.  I also like 3-bean salad for snacking on.  Baked potatoes are filling and you can load them up with butter, sour cream, and cheese.  Or some of that leftover chili.  Do you eat canned tuna?  If you make up some tuna salad and keep it in the fridge, you can dip bread/crackers/breadsticks/veggies in it for a snack.  Dh loves to mix egg salad (though I know you said you were sick of eggs) and tuna salad, mix in some grated cheese, spread it on bread or buns, and toast it under the broiler.  

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#10 of 17 Old 11-18-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

Wow, I realized I do sound vegetarian in that post.  Actually, I follow a traditional foods diet, just a bit lighter on meat than a lot of other TFers.  I'm just not tired of my meaty stuff, just usually eat it at meals rather than snacks.  I have some uncured bacon or smoked salmon with breakfast most days (only a little, though - high quality stuff gets expensive!) and then meat with dinner.  Maybe I should look at some more meat-based snacks.  I also need to do better at keeping some soup in the house.  I also like the hummus idea, or I'm thinking I could try sprouting some mung beans or garbanzo beans to snack on throughout the day.  I also need to revive my sourdough starter and start making some bread again.

Madeitx2, I did make some of your coconut crispers, and I loved them... mostly on yogurt and as part of a nut-based grain free "granola," so that kinda fits into foods I'm tired of as well.  I do have a vitamix, though, so if you have some great and easy recipes, I'd love to hear them.  I'm not big on protein powder, but I'm still enjoying kefir smoothies.... except DH ate all my frozen fruit for this week.

JMJ: I love this thread and food talk. I have learned so much since I learned about TF 7yrs ago. I love my vita too. So easy to pack good things in and drink. That book that I mentioned above raw energy snacks is great. Plus Tropical Traditions has over 1,000 recipes listed in order of meals. Lots of good ideas on there. I don't have any recipes of hand as lately I have been making kefir smoothies.

Talk about eating well costing so much! I hear you. I went over what I spent in one month $1,000 for a family of 5. Raw milk, meat eating from grass fed farms etc. It sucks how much work and dedication it is.....Does others spend this much? And only $190 was eating out which included a couple lunches from hubby at work.

Since I conceived in the summer I spent the early part of my pregnancy craving sugar and I cleared my candida years ago thank goodness! Then I felt like I was so bored with our diet looking for something new these past months. Feeling better about the baby and enjoying being pregnant now I feel back on track. Soups, stocks, veggies etc. Let's chat more!
#11 of 17 Old 11-18-2011, 08:35 PM

Oh I forgot I make a double batch of soaked oats for waffles or pancakes. Yum! We eat these all weekend. ;0)
#12 of 17 Old 11-19-2011, 04:37 AM

I was doing more TF several years ago.  I know that everyone says that eating all that fat helps keep you full, but I found it only really worked for me if I was also eating a lot of fiber.  So I would have heaps of veggies along with my meals.  I ate quite a bit of saurkraut and also (really not very spicy) cortido (I added some mayo to make a creamy coleslaw).  Also a lot of (soaked) bread or muffins.  We did eat meat fairly often, but I stretched it out quite a bit since it was pricey.  We would often have gravy with a bit of meat in it over bread as a way to stretch it out.  I needed the combo of fat and fiber to help keep me full.

I also ate a lot of yogurt made from whole milk with added cream, and I often made eggnog with breakfast.  That's a tasty way to get those eggs in without it really being eggy.

#13 of 17 Old 11-20-2011, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
JMJ

I'm working on expanding my breakfast repertoire.  For a while, it's been eggs (either as an omlette or scrambled with a side of bacon) and toast with probiotic fruit butter.  I've started adding more soaked oatmeal, and I'm about ready to try out a new recipe for dutch babies.  I've also been experimenting with cooking the eggs different ways.  I've had little drive to cook, so that has made things difficult.  I put "Raw Energy" on hold at our local library, and I've been browsing the Tropical Traditions website for ideas.  I finally revived my sourdough starter last night, so hopefully, I'll have some homemade bread in a few days.  Brisen, I have a similar problem.  If I don't eat some carbs (though my body doesn't like a whole lot of fiber, though it handles cooked veggies slathered in butter well - great ideas, mamas on the roasted veggies!), I don't feel satisfied.  But if I get some carbs along with my fat, I'm full for a while... long enough that I start losing weight, and I really don't have weight to lose.

#14 of 17 Old 11-20-2011, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
JMJ

Oh, and we very easily spend over $1000/month on groceries (for a family of 3 + Baby), though we don't do as much as we could to save money.  For example, we don't have room for a freezer that would allow us to buy meat in bulk, so we spend a lot on it.  Also, when I'm not making my own sourdough bread, we pay for sprouted grain bread, and we don't take advantage of sales as much as we could.  I'd love to get some of these things worked out to save us some money at some point, but we might need more space for storing it first.  In the meantime, we don't have a lot of other bills, so food is about half of our monthly budget.

#15 of 17 Old 11-21-2011, 10:37 AM

Whoa!  $1000 a month???  I always wondered how people afforded organic or traditional foods type diets.  I guess that's my answer!  I spend about $250-300/month on the 4 of us + baby, almost everything made from scratch, very little meat, local grown produce, and almost nothing processed, but I always knew going more eco/health friendly would be out of our budget for now!  I think it's great that you guys have figured out a way to make TF work for your families! 

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

#16 of 17 Old 11-21-2011, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
JMJ

There are ways to reduce expenses a lot.  I just haven't had the ability to do them yes, especially considering my zero space for food storage.  If you have a bit of room to store stuff, though, there's a lot you can do.  If you have a freezer that can hold a whole or half animal, you can get high quality meat for the same price as supermarket meat.  If you buy large amounts of organic produce in season and preserve them through fermentation or preserving in oil or vinegar or by freezing, you can have cheap produce all year.  It takes some thinking, but if you work out your preserving schedule right, you can do it with little refrigeration since foods are aged at room temperature for a matter of weeks or months.  A root cellar or some other natural cool storage would help keep energy costs down, or else you have to pay for more refrigeration room.  You can get grains/beans in bulk from Azure Standard or some other inexpensive bulk supplier, and if you can have your own garden and/or raise some of your own animals, you can drastically reduce expenses that way.

We dream of moving a little bit further out to get a little bit of land to raise goats or sheep and chickens and have a garden and a root cellar, and then we wouldn't need much income at all.  For now, though, we fit 3+Baby on 650 square feet in the city, and it's paid off.  DH rides his bike to work, so we only have one car, and we don't use it every day.  There are a lot of things to do close by, many of which are free, and we are close to public transportation.  We have one small, energy efficient, fridge/freezer that fits a week's worth of groceries, and in this small space, our energy bills are low.  We shop for clothes second hand and buy very little.  It's not like we're adding a $1000 food bill to an already full family budget.  When I start to think we're crazy for spending that much on groceries, I remember how much other stuff we're not spending money on, and I remember how much less we do/will spend on health care because of the choices we are making.

#17 of 17 Old 11-22-2011, 04:52 PM

Yeah, it depends on how you do it.  I had a friend who switched to all organic (she was also into TF) and for the first few months, they were spending $1000 each month.  She realized they couldn't sustain that and that she would have to give up the organic convenience foods she was buying.  When I was doing more TF stuff, we were getting 1/4 of a cow and raw milk & cream from a local farm.  That was all organic, and some of the produce I bought was, too.  I did a lot from scratch; we spent probably $150-$200 a month for a family of 4 (the kids were around 4 and 2).  It depends on food prices generally in your area, too.  I don't think I could do it now, even if I just bought the exact same stuff, because everything is more expensive now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page