Do wet bags get completely dry after washing them? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-17-2011, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would like some advice about wetbags.  The ones that are made from the PUL fabric, with the zips.

I'm wondering, for a bag that is plastic on the inside, does it get completely dry after washing, or do you have to turn it inside out so the plastic part is on the outside so it can dry?

I've seen some really nice bags online (WAHM with online stores) but I worry that they will still keep the moisture in after washing and go mouldy when I'm storing them.

Thanks

30 years old,  part time wheelchair.gif,  Living in Australia with my DH and belly.gif with IVF bubba #1 after a long long time of ttc.  Very grateful we've made it this far.  Due March 2012

I enjoy these activities:  sewmachine.gif     crochetsmilie.gif       geek.gif        greenthumb.gif

Planning on  bfinfant.gif      femalesling.GIF    cd.gif   

#2 of 9 Old 11-17-2011, 01:45 PM

I have wahmies bags and they are fine.  What happens with those is the PUL turns inside out while the cotton fabric stays right side in and theyre just held together by the zipper.  I'm sure I'm explaining that very badly.  Normally the PUL lines the cotton fabric like a pillow case inside a pillow case, but the PUL liner flips out (no longer lining, the whole thing is now twice the size it was) so the nasty part gets washed well.  Then it dries that way.  Then I stuff the PUL back inside, but the part that would retain any water (only a few drops if any) is now next to the cotton layer which absorbs the droplets, but it's on the outside, so they dry quickly.  Clear as mud? 

Or if you have an all-PUL liner, turn it inside-out for washing and drying, so nasty part inside gets cleaned and dried the best, store right-side-out so any moisture is exposed to air. 

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

#3 of 9 Old 11-18-2011, 10:42 AM

I turn mine inside-out and leave them on a drying rack and have had no issues.  I'm not sure that turning them inside-out is completely necessary, but I've noticed more dampness when I don't...and its pretty easy to do, so its just part of my routine at this point.  

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

#4 of 9 Old 11-18-2011, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies.  The dampness sounds like less of an issue than I thought.

30 years old,  part time wheelchair.gif,  Living in Australia with my DH and belly.gif with IVF bubba #1 after a long long time of ttc.  Very grateful we've made it this far.  Due March 2012

I enjoy these activities:  sewmachine.gif     crochetsmilie.gif       geek.gif        greenthumb.gif

Planning on  bfinfant.gif      femalesling.GIF    cd.gif   

#5 of 9 Old 12-06-2011, 05:31 AM

"the PUL turns inside out while the cotton fabric stays right side in and theyre just held together by the zipper.  I'm sure I'm explaining that very badly.  Normally the PUL lines the cotton fabric like a pillow case inside a pillow case, but the PUL liner flips out (no longer lining, the whole thing is now twice the size it was)"

Mine dries completely this way. Another bit of advice, I think I probably should have gotten a second one, to use while the first one is drying. It's not a huge deal, just slightly inconvenient.

#6 of 9 Old 12-06-2011, 07:19 AM

I have 2 kinds of wetbags (well, we're currently potty trained) - the Wet Happened bags sound like the ones you're describing where the lining is attached up by the zipper.  I don't think this is technically considered PUL, but just a water proof material.  Mine is very thick and durable, so I would just toss it in the drier inside out (or plastic liner side out) - though, as you described - it usually was separate from the cloth part and twice it's normal size.  

The other kind I have are pail liners with actual PUL (similar to what's in diapers like Bum Genius) and has an elastic top.  These I've noticed get worn out in the drier so I would just hang them dry.  It's faster if you turn them inside out (PUL side out)...  

And on that note - In my experience, your diapers will last a LOT longer if you line dry the covers (assuming you're using the PUL lined all in one types...).  A friend of mine dried hers all the time and they only lasted about a year or two before the PUL started to fail.  

#7 of 9 Old 12-07-2011, 06:38 PM

I agree with MommyBecky - one wetbag is pain.  I have 3 (2 that fit 1/2 a day's diapers and one all-day size) and that's a great number for us.  I often go on two outings between washes and still have a spare to use or lose (temporarily) without having to resort to plastic bags. 

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

#8 of 9 Old 01-22-2012, 09:13 PM

I just wash and dry my PUL-lined wet bag along with my diapers whenever needed...and the diapers and inserts take way longer to dry.  That said, you can also simply rinse the PUL and hang it to dry.  I don't have to wash the wetbag often, only when we forget to empty it for a couple days.  EW!

#9 of 9 Old 01-22-2012, 10:28 PM

I also have the WAHMies bags. I have 4, but one vanished years ago and I have no idea where :(. I have one all day one and 2 regular sized ones. My mini vanished and it was so cute :(

OK enough lamenting my poor mini bag. Yes, they dry all the way. I turn them inside out to dry.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page