I'm not excited about the books and goodies in the bounty bag - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-23-2011, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've had my first few maternity appointments at the clinic and at one of them the midwife gave me a promotional bag called a 'bounty bag'.  It's full of brochures and a book about pregnancy published by the government.  It's got little samples in it too of nappy cream and a disposable nappy etc etc.  

I opened it when I first got it and looked at the stuff inside and haven't looked at it again.  I'm preferring to read the information in the Dr Sears baby book over the commercial things in my bag.

It's promoted in Australia though as a goodie freebie bag that new mums are excited to receive at their first appointment, but for me, I would still prefer to look at the sears book :-)  

30 years old,  part time wheelchair.gif,  Living in Australia with my DH and belly.gif with IVF bubba #1 after a long long time of ttc.  Very grateful we've made it this far.  Due March 2012

I enjoy these activities:  sewmachine.gif     crochetsmilie.gif       geek.gif        greenthumb.gif

Planning on  bfinfant.gif      femalesling.GIF    cd.gif   

#2 of 5 Old 11-27-2011, 12:02 AM

I'm with you on that one! My first appointment I had, the clinic gave me much of the same commercial 'stuff.' Included was a goverment book on pregnancy that actually says things like "MSG and aspartame aren't harmful to a growing fetus"

Needless to say, I immediatly did my research and am now seeing midwives and am planning a homebirth...  Just trying to avoid all the unnessecary things that are shoved down our throats everyday!

#3 of 5 Old 11-27-2011, 09:24 AM

My insurance company sent me a book on pregnancy that I immediately threw away.

Happily married to my soul mate, and a mommy of two girls + another baby due in June!

5****10****15****20****25****30****35**stillheart.gif*40

#4 of 5 Old 11-27-2011, 09:29 AM

We get something like that in the US if you give birth at a hospital.  They're put together by formula companies usually though and come with formula samples and a diaper bag and magazines and stuff.  I thought it was kind of cool with my first, but frustrating/angering with my second.  Like women need more incentive to try formula!  hopmad.gifThe info is all very mainstream and what you would expect... vaccine schedules, keep your appointments, etc etc.  Plus a little breastfeeding book that was basically "how to breastfeed your baby the formula way!" that directly led to my underfeeding my daughter, her crying non-stop, losing weight, and having the worst latch in the world.  I almost burned my bag with DD2 except that it was from a baby friendly hospital, so not sponsored by formula companies. 

I'd just stick to Dr Sears if I were you!  Better to get advice from a voice you trust than from an enticing little goodie bag, right?

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

#5 of 5 Old 11-29-2011, 04:41 PM

I got a bag of information from my doctor, and DH carried out it out to the car. I don't even know where it went... Hospitals in the US are getting better about the formula bags. I haven't been offered one by my old OB or this one, and the hospital didn't send me home with one when I had DD. Most of the hospitals around here are or are working on being certified as Baby Friendly, though.

Oddly enough, I was given a big Similac sample pack when I went to get a gender scan at a private business that does the 3d/4d ultrasounds. I was going to donate it to the food bank, but it got dropped and the seal broke. I also got a pack of "goodies" from Motherhood Maternity's outlet store. Some of it was good like coupons for nursing bras, photos, etc. It also had a pacifier, and only one coupon for formula. For some reason I randomly get small cans of formula in the mail as well as formula checks. Those go to friends that can't (or won't) breastfeed. I don't want them in the house when I start nursing again.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page