birth plans - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-04-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I thought it would be fun/useful to start a thread to share birth plans. We're planning a homebirth, so at first I thought I wouldn't really need one, but then I decided I would feel more comfortable with emergency situations covered a bit. This is what I've come up with (a very rough draft in list form). Feel free to share your birth plans, birth plan suggestions, etc.

at home

quiet, peaceful atmosphere

someone stay with me at all times unless I ask to be left alone

I'll be doing hypnobabies… hopefully it's an effective form of relaxation for me

all the usual, no scrubbing the vernix off, breastfeeding as soon as possible, delayed cord cutting

if a hospital transfer is required...

labor

as little monitoring as possible

my veins are really easy to find, so I'd like to avoid even a hep-lock if possible

I'll ask for pain meds if I want them

quiet, peaceful atmosphere

discuss all procedures, complications, etc. with Melissa or Heidi, and they will relay the information to me in a non-scary and understandable way. I do want to be as informed as possible.

someone should remain in the room with me at all times unless I ask to be left alone

freedom to labor and deliver in the positions that are most comfortable for me

don't break my water

delivery

instrumental delivery only if absolutely necessary and as a second to last resort

I'd rather tear than have an episiotomy

suction only if needed

delay cording cutting until the cord has finished pulsing

don't scrub vernix off

Baby should remain with mom unless absolutely necessary to be separated. Baby should be returned to mom as soon as possible. Unless the situation is dire, the baby should not be weighed, measured, diapered, or cleaned up until she has a chance to bond with mom.

let the placenta come when it wants to, don't pull it, push it, or use pictocin

I plan to have the placenta encapsulated

No Eye Gel, No Hep. B vaccine.

caesarean section

this is the last resort and should only be considered if either of us will die or suffer permanent serious damage without it

I would like my husband to stay with me at all times

catheter should be put in after the spinal is in place

calm atmosphere

I would like to stay informed of all risks and complications at all times

I want as much contact with my baby as possible after the procedure

I want to begin breastfeeding as soon as possible after the procedure

Vernix should stay on the baby, and the baby should only be gently cleaned up

Please hold baby up for me to see as soon as Baby's born

No Eye Gel, No Hep. B vaccine.

unless impossible, use a low transverse incision and close my uterus with 2 layers of stitching to increase my chances of a successful vbac in the future

hospital stay

My baby will stay in my hospital room at all times unless we request otherwise

Baby will not receive a bath in the hospital

We want to be discharged as soon as possible

We want limited interruptions, and if we're asleep, let us sleep

Please let us know ahead of time when routine checks will be performed

absolutely no formula or pacifiers should be given

breastfeeding advice should only be given by trained lactation consultants

Happily married to my soul mate, and a mommy of two girls + another baby due in June!

5****10****15****20****25****30****35**stillheart.gif*40

#2 of 6 Old 12-05-2011, 12:56 PM

DH has been bugging me about getting my birth plan written.  It'll be decently simple I suppose;  no interventions if everything's going well, whatever the doc says to do if it's not going well.

In my brain, it's pretty much "natural birth or emergency c-section, nothing in between".  Which is silly, of course, but I can blame preggo brain for that.

I'm mostly worried about the afterbirth stuff - them taking baby away too soon, doing stuff I don't want (eye drops, hep b). 

Does anyone know any good birth plan sites?  I'd love to just check boxes....

#3 of 6 Old 12-05-2011, 09:38 PM

Yes! This is the one I've used, seems pretty complete and has space to add whatever else you'd like. 

http://www.childbirth.org/interactive/ibirthplan.html

Also, cameragirl just posted this one over on the FB group: http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/free-birth-plan

Quote:

Does anyone know any good birth plan sites?  I'd love to just check boxes....

Baking a cupcake at 98.6°. This little lady is due early March 2012.

***4***8***12***16****20***24***28***32*ecbaby.gif*36***40**

#4 of 6 Old 12-06-2011, 08:23 AM

Mine are very simple.  We are using a midwife/OB practice in a local hospital.

As per usual, I plan on rejecting unnecessary induction, labor at home for as long as possible, make a frantic rush through city traffic to get to the hospital, and arrive pretty much ready to push.  lol.gif

Of course, it may end up being an unintentional unassisted birth.  Depends on if dh is working and has to drive home to get to me and take me to the hospital.  We shall see. 

I don't really have a birth plan.  Done this 3 times, I know what I want, I know how to present it/verbalize it, and I know that dh is 100% supportive of what I want and not in the least bit vulnerable to scare tactics, should I not be able to verbalize.  Thus far the practice has seemed very willing to accept that I am experienced at birth and have a proven pelvis, and no intention of doing anything without a real medical reason.  The nurse practitioner has been awesome.  I start seeing the OBs next visit, so I'm interested to feel out their attitudes about all this.  If they're crappy, I might do a birth plan just to have something in writing.

#5 of 6 Old 12-06-2011, 02:19 PM

Your birth plan is great... pretty much the way I want mine to be. We want a home birth as well but are opting away from that as our midwife does not perform them. Thanks for posting!

#6 of 6 Old 12-06-2011, 11:53 PM

I wanted to add a quick little paragraph about me and my unique health issue. Have any of you seen an example of this? I saw some recommendations that moms that have special concerns do this, but I'm not sure what to write while keeping it quick and simple.

Here's my birth plan in progress:

Labor:
-I would like my partner with me at all times.
-If available, I would like to use:
-A birthing ball
-A shower
- A birthing stool
- A squatting bar
-I would like to have dimmed lights.
-I prefer telemetry monitoring so that I can move around as needed.

Pain Relief:
- Please suggest pain management options for me if you see that I am too uncomfortable to handle the pain.
- I am prepared to handle the pain with these natural methods:
- Breathing techniques
- Hypnotherapy
- Shower
- Heat/Cold packs
- If I choose to use drugs, my preference is narcotics or a walking epidural.
- I may need treatment for muscle spasms/rigidity during labor.
- Ultimately, I want to be able to walk around and move as I wish during labor.

The Delivery:
- As long as the baby and I are healthy, I prefer to have no time limits on pushing.
- I prefer to try whatever pushing position is comfortable and effective.
- I prefer to push instinctively instead of being coached unless coaching is necessitated by anesthesia.
- I would like to view the birth using a mirror.
- I would like to catch my baby and pull it onto my abdomen as it is born.
- Please wait for the umbilical cord to stop pulsating before clamping.

Newborn Procedures:
- I would like my partner to be present with the baby at all times if the baby must leave my side.
- I would like all routine procedures delayed until breastfeeding has occurred.
- Please do not administer eye drops to my baby. I am willing to sign a waiver if need be.
- Please do not immunize. We will arrange for this with the pediatrician at a well baby visit.
- Please bathe my baby after we have had time to bond.
- Do not circumcise him.

Cesarean Birth (If applicable):
- My partner is to be present with me at all times during the c-section.
- I would like baby shown to me immediately after it is born.
-I would like contact with the baby as soon as it is possible in the delivery room.
-I prefer to have a hand free to touch the baby.
-I would like the drape lowered, and a mirror used so that I may view the birth.
-I prefer a double layer of sutures to close the uterus, as well as sutures to close the skin.
-If possible, please discuss anesthesia choices with me prior to surgery. (Including PCA for recovery.)
- I would like to hold my baby and nurse as soon as possible in recovery.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page