Daycare and working part time - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-06-2011, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm putting in for maternity leave at work and looking at options for my return. If we can afford it, I'm looking at taking 12 months off and then returning part-time.

I was hoping to work mornings only and leave at late lunchtime (1pm)  Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri.

I was talking to another one of the girls at work though, and she says that my mornings will be so hectic with trying to get a baby off to daycare, and get myself ready and hubby get himself ready that I will be sorry I decided that, and she would rather for herself, do 3 full days a week and have two days off.

What do you think?  My thoughts are that I would like to continue the breastfeeding relationship and be able to feed of an afternoon, rather than do a morning feed then a late 6pm feed and then a later one and then overnight.  Also, I feel that working half days like that, won't feel like I'm leaving the baby for whole days.

30 years old,  part time wheelchair.gif,  Living in Australia with my DH and belly.gif with IVF bubba #1 after a long long time of ttc.  Very grateful we've made it this far.  Due March 2012

I enjoy these activities:  sewmachine.gif     crochetsmilie.gif       geek.gif        greenthumb.gif

Planning on  bfinfant.gif      femalesling.GIF    cd.gif   

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 05:46 PM

I don't have any experience to answer this, but I feel like whenever I've worked partial days, it always seems like work just controls the day; whereas, having a whole-day-off means so much more.  Might be a personal thing, though.  With afternoons off, though, you'd have plenty of time to pack lunches, prepare clothes, etc., the day before; so maybe it wouldn't be that big of a difference.

Another thought -- I don't know if this is a possibility for you (where you live, or if you have a center in mind already), but if you work near the center, you could take your lunch hour over there to nurse the child.  We had people do that when I worked in the infant room -- come over, nurse, and put the baby to nap before they returned to work.  On the other hand, it might really depend on the center; we did not do bottles or breastmilk after 12 months where I worked (national chain of childcare centers).  We did do milk in a sippy cup; but one of the issues with toddlers is that they will take from each other, spill, hide, etc., their bottles/cups, maybe that's why we didn't do it (forthe toddler room, 12-22 months).  (Also, at that point, some of them are off bottles, but still want them, and will snatch from another kid!) 

I do agree, though, that leaving a baby till 5 or 6 pm must be difficult . . . so I think it's probably a very personal choice! 

Old 12-07-2011, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I did half days, and worked in the mid-day. It was a little easier to not have to get up super early with the baby. I still recommend doing part time for a week or two at first, even if you decide to do a few full days instead of half days. That will make the transition a lot easier on both of you.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
Old 12-13-2011, 01:29 PM

I also found with my first that the daycare transitioned DD to one nap a day when she turned 1, so she would take a very long nap from about noon-3.  This obviously varies by each kid, but you may just as well stay at work if the baby is sleeping.  Can you work from 9-3 maybe, and then cut out one of your days?  I also think if you want to continue breastfeeding, rather than pump, then try to find a center nearby where you can go there for your lunchbreaks.  

Also, I've never heard of a daycare that didn't crack down on sharing of sippy cups and whatnot...  I'd be very concerned if this were happening at my DD's daycare, especially because of the rise of food allergies.  Daycares should be vigilant about what each kid is eating/drinking.  Friends of ours pulled their kids out of a center that actually allowed this to happen (and then tried to cover it up).  

Mornings will probably be a little hectic, but it's not something that is unmanageable - especially if you only have 1 child.  You can get most things ready the night before. 

Old 12-13-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.  I've put my application in to work half days on my return, and we'll see how that goes.  I've put in for a Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri for the first little while.  Just waiting for it to be approved now  :-)

30 years old,  part time wheelchair.gif,  Living in Australia with my DH and belly.gif with IVF bubba #1 after a long long time of ttc.  Very grateful we've made it this far.  Due March 2012

I enjoy these activities:  sewmachine.gif     crochetsmilie.gif       geek.gif        greenthumb.gif

Planning on  bfinfant.gif      femalesling.GIF    cd.gif   

User Tag List