If attachment parented babies/babies in slings etc cry less, how will I know when baby needs feeding? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-05-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This might sound like a really silly question,

but if I am carrying my baby in a sling, and doing attachment parenting things, which to me mean that the baby is being automatically comforted by being carried and, should cry less, how will I know when the baby is hungry and needs a feed if it doesn't cry?

Silly I know, but I was just thinking about it the other day when I was practicing the ring sling carries.

30 years old,  part time wheelchair.gif,  Living in Australia with my DH and belly.gif with IVF bubba #1 after a long long time of ttc.  Very grateful we've made it this far.  Due March 2012

I enjoy these activities:  sewmachine.gif     crochetsmilie.gif       geek.gif        greenthumb.gif

Planning on  bfinfant.gif      femalesling.GIF    cd.gif   

#2 of 8 Old 01-05-2012, 01:45 PM

They'll let you know by rooting. You'll see baby sucking on their hand, moving their head around to find your breast, trying to scooch up or down to get to the right level, etc. The more hungry they get, the more frantic the searching around is.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#3 of 8 Old 01-06-2012, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Ah right, that makes sense now.  Thanks!!

30 years old,  part time wheelchair.gif,  Living in Australia with my DH and belly.gif with IVF bubba #1 after a long long time of ttc.  Very grateful we've made it this far.  Due March 2012

I enjoy these activities:  sewmachine.gif     crochetsmilie.gif       geek.gif        greenthumb.gif

Planning on  bfinfant.gif      femalesling.GIF    cd.gif   

#4 of 8 Old 01-07-2012, 12:36 AM

To add to what cameragirl said- My boys ended up making certain noises I knew meant "hungry".  One of them would snort like a little piggy.  Lol.

With diaper changes, sometimes they'll just give a few yells, or get squirmy.  not really crying but showing signs they are uncomfortable.  

Lisa- mom to 3, expecting our 4th in March IHhbac.gif

#5 of 8 Old 01-07-2012, 11:15 AM

Hey...you  have gotten good advice from previous posters about how to know when baby is hungry, but I have to say:

"automatically comforted by being carried":  ROTFLMAO!  If only.

It might not happen. Just sayin.' I had a crier who was often not comforted by being carried. The first rule of parenting is to let go of expectations.  :)

#6 of 8 Old 01-08-2012, 08:19 PM

Another way to know if your babe might be hungry is your breasts. I was amazed with my daughter how every couple of hours my breasts would suddenly get tingly and tight, usually about 2 minutes before DD started showing signs of hunger. It was literally like an alarm going off!

It is truly incredible how in sync your body and your baby become when you've formed a strong attachment.

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28*babygirl.gif*32***36***40**

#7 of 8 Old 01-12-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangledblue View Post

Hey...you  have gotten good advice from previous posters about how to know when baby is hungry, but I have to say:

"automatically comforted by being carried":  ROTFLMAO!  If only.

It might not happen. Just sayin.' I had a crier who was often not comforted by being carried. The first rule of parenting is to let go of expectations.  :)

Yeah, I would not plan on your babe not crying or fussing. AP babies might tend to be less fussy than mainstream reared babies but they are still babies - crying is still one of the only ways they can communicate.

Anyway, especially if you are breastfeeding you will know when they need to eat. If not by their sucking and snuffling (my boys acted like pigs searching for truffles) then by how full your breasts feel.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#8 of 8 Old 03-04-2012, 12:37 AM

When they say that worn babies "cry less" they don't mean that they don't cry at all or that they are comforted simply by carrying and don't need any other needs met. They still need their other needs met just as much as other babies and will cry for it if they need to.

What they mean when they say that worn babies "cry less" usually means that baby is right there in your face, so you read your baby's signals before they have to work themselves up to a good cry. If baby is hungry and on your chest, they start rooting around before they start crying.  A baby in a crib in another room, however, has to root around a long time in the crib before they finally work themselves up to get upset enough to cry. Then you hear them and go to them and by that time, they may have worked themselves up enough that it's difficult to calm them down enough again to get them to nurse.  A baby that is farther away is simply more likely to get worked up and more difficult to calm down is most of it. When your baby is against you, you know and can meet their needs faster which generally makes them happier.

Some babies have issues that make them cry a lot, though, even if they are being worn, but wearing them can make all the difference in the world!

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page