Does anyone have experience with Versions and Nuchal Cord? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-20-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Long story......

I'm 34 weeks pg with baby #2. I had a homebirth with my first baby and am planning one this time as well. I see a CPM and an OB-GYN for back-up care (I'm an L&D RN and get care from one of the docs I work with). This baby is breech, and has been for about a month. He changes positions from transverse to footling frequently, but his head always stays in the same place. I've been doing inversions, moxibustion, and seeing the Chiro for the Webster  technique, all to no avail. I am able to get him halfway head down by gently manipulating him, but he pops right back with his head under my right boob, the second I let go. So, I got to thinking that he probably HAS to stay in this position. So we looked with the u/s and sure enough, he has a nuchal cord.

My OB says that she'll still do a version despite the cord, and if he goes head down I'll still have my homebirth. But if he stays breech, I'll deliver vaginally in the hospital. (I don't want a section unless there is a real reason for it, and simply being breech isn't reason enough for me.) I have read some studies that say that versions are about 60% successful in the ABSENCE of a nuchal cord, but only 18% successful when there is a cord, because of the resulting fetal heart rate changes leading to stopping the version. 

I am wondering if anyone can share successful/unsuccessful version stories and if a nuchal cord had any impact on the version. If there's only an 18% success rate, I'm tempted to just not do it, especially because it's not the last resort for getting a vaginal birth.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 01-22-2012, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You know, I don't have any experience in this whatsoever...of course that isn't stopping me from responding!  I had a frank breech last time that responded well to moxa, and am breech again, this time with a complete breech stargazer...talk about fun, eh?  I think personally, I'd be more worried about attempted induction or augmentation in the case that this baby cannot engage fully because of the nuchal cord and any resulting shortness for cord length.  I've delivered babies with nuchal cords (not known before hand) as I'm sure you've seen plenty at work.  I would also be concerned about what the added risks of an ECV with a nuchal cord might be.  Perhaps not much if they're monitoring and being slow and cautious, but I have a feeling the entire point is NOT to be soft and cuddly but get the job done.  Thats a tough spot you're in and I hope you will be able to feel and know which choice is right for you and your baby.

Best wishes!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page