How about a February March 2012 thread!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2012, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here is the new thread! Igot the kitchen chairs washed and the spindles on the banister. tomorrow is the dentist so I am sure I won't be successfull with any deep cleaning!

What is february bringing you?

Living a life like no one else, with my husband, and all our children
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 10:33 AM

Just went to the Chiro for the first time yesterday.  My pubic symphysis joint is totally separated.  At times I simply can't take a step.  It is extremely painful.  He was able to do a good job popping it back into place, though everything is so loose its likely to keep happening til the pregnancy is over.  I am going back today to get the treatment plan which will include exercises to strengthen the muscles to support my pelvis.

This has put a damper on my cleaning plans.  I am seriously contemplating hiring someone to do the deep cleaning of my master bathroom and also the blinds.  I just hate to waste the money on something I feel I should be doing.  It may just not be reasonable at this point for me to do it by myself.  Maybe if I just tackle one part a day.

I feel I have everything I need except the carseat and baby monitor.  My old monitor from my first baby finally died.  I finally decided which ones I'll buy.  It took an agonizing amount of research and contemplating.

I finally moved my daughter out of the crib and raised it to get ready for baby.  Just need to clear out the dresser and redo the closet to make room for one more.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:39 AM

3times - how do you do so much with kiddos?!  Every time I try to work on some project when my 2.5 yo is awake, it just turns into a disaster, lol!  I usually wait til naptime, and by then I am tired and not very motivated. 

8inTulgey - sorry to hear about your discomfort, hopefully the exercises help.  Take it easy =).  Would you mind sharing what monitor you decided on, I still need to purchase.  We did end up getting the Chicco keyfit back from friends so will be using that car seat while babe is little.  I like having a bucket seat during the colder months (as warm as January was, I expect March to be freezing!).

Old 02-02-2012, 02:57 PM
JMJ

3timesamom, I'm impressed!  You're getting a lot done.  I feel like I've hit that point that I just want to focus on my list of things to do before the baby, and if this focus and drive continues until the baby is born, I'll be in really good shape.  I've designed and am sewing my own swimsuit now (definitely a more advanced project than I should have ever tried with my current skills - or lack thereof!) and getting some more studying done, but I haven't moved into deep cleaning yet.  I'm trying to figure out how to not be so stressed out.  It's ruining my sleep when I'm thinking about the next thing to get done.  Oh, and to answer your question from the previous thread, I'm definitely planning on washing at least the 0-3 month and 3-6 month clothes ahead of time.  Some babies outgrow some of that early stuff really quickly, and it's hard to guess what is actually going to fit them early on because of their different shapes.

8inTulgeyWood, that sounds painful!  Trying to do a bit every day is a great way to get a lot done since we still have a month (give or take) to go, but take care of yourself first.

sh118, I nap with my 2.5 year old, so I don't even have that time to work on stuff.  Thankfully, she puts up with me working on stuff for an hour or 2 a day or stands over me looking at what I'm doing.  It's hit and miss, but we keep trying, and eventually, things get done.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

3timesamom-- awesome! nothing better then knowing all those nooks and crannys are clean.  Our over element went out so we pulled out the stove to replace it and of course cleaned all under/behind it.  That was weirdly comforting lol. 

8intulgeywood-  Oh man, I'm sorry to hear about the spd.  I have problems with it too and it's gotten pretty bad lately.  The worst is when I do too much in a day and then sit down, THEN try to get back up.  Feels like my pelvis is just going to fall apart if it weren't for my skin.  Hows the chiro/exercise helping?  I've had some luck with tying a moby wrap around my hips to relieve pain. 

Sh118- my kids have gotten much better at letting me either work or craft but it used to be really hard.  I usually set them up with something of their own to play with or give them ideas.  sometimes you just have to wait until they are busy to sneak off and try to get something done.  Having 3 kids actually helps because they play with eachother too. 

JMJ- I let the "list" keep me up too.  I will plan and plan and re-plan until I feel I have a handle on everything.  Not so great when there are exactly 10000 things to do!

Things are good but crazy here. We got the big room set up for the boys, now we just have to texture and paint the extra for my oldest son and set him up.  Then I can breathe a little sigh.  Maybe dh will finish the extra bath and laundry too? :)

I have a huge tradeshow coming up in 2.5 weeks.  It's in California (we're in Wa) and it's a 10 day trip with 2 days of driving there and 2 days back.   I take my family with me so they can play while I work and we are looking forward to it but I am starting to feel the pressure and stress pretty bad.  The hardest part is getting ready to go.  I sell my own goods and there are about 800+ items I need to produce for the show in the next 10 days.  I deal with a lot of lifting/carrying and man, it's getting freaking hard.  My shop is outside, so it's pretty cold most days but this winter has thankfully been more mild then usual.  The whole month is just a mad house.  I do this about 2x a year so I know what to do, it's just the stress is hard to avoid.  Normally I use the pressure of a deadline to get me moving, well this time I can't do that. I have to pace myself or I'll pay for it with spd, si pain or high BP.   Thankfully my husband helps on the weekends but other then that my usual baby sitters are not available (read stolen by a family member).  Sigh, so that's where I am.   Trying to get the house finished is just another big "thing" and when we get back I have tons more on my list.  I need to sew diapers, freeze meals, knit some stuff etc.   This is by far the craziest pregnancy yet.    

Lisa- mom to 4 boys, expecting our 5th surprise in May 
Old 02-02-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Everlong, Exciting! I hope you enjoy it. I sounds like a lot of work though!

JMJ I a thinking of washing both totes of clothes. I think I will even wash boy clothes just in case baby is a boy. If baby is a girl I suppose I will need to shop;)

SH118, Well if I do stuff in the morning everyone is happy:)

8in, I had that with my 2nd. It was terrible I could hardly walk up the stairs. Using a birth ball and pelvic tilts helped the most. Honestly though I didn't get "better" until after delivery.

AFM, Well today I didn't get anything done. I did however take my kids to the dentist and then found the apmnt is in april! LOL Yeah so what a wasted time. I did end up getting the spindles and the chairs done yesterday though. Well my three year old fell out of bed so off I go to place him back in bed.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:39 AM
JMJ

I forgot to add that I got to go see my friend's newborn a couple days ago... so tiny and squishy!  The anticipation is killing me!  At least I'm taking comfort in the fact that I'm not ready yet... but I have clothes, diapers, carriers, nursing pads, and a car seat.  I could be ready, right?

Old 02-06-2012, 09:24 AM

So not ready yet, haven't gotten much of my "list" done, but the important part is that I feel positive and like we're getting stuff done, so I'm not freaking out about it;)

8InTugleyWood- I've been having issues with my pubic symphysis as well, but haven't visited the Chiro. Honestly, I'm thinking of switching because my body totally rejects her adjustments for some reason and I usually end up worse off. I hope the chiro helps and the exercises as well- prenatal yoga with Colette Crawford really helps me in general! My husband and I are trying to do the routine together once a week so he can learn it and help me use yoga during labor/birth (with each pose she says "you could use this to address X in labor").

Had a bad prenatal appt last week and kind of freaked out- saw a Dr instead of the MW (Seeing at least a few of the Drs once is kind of requirement at the practice I attend because they could end up attending your birth if the MW is tied up). Found out when I got there that I had been scheduled for an NST, the Dr strongly urged us to do an U/S since I've been measuring "small" (I have?) and then she scheduled me for an appt for the next week, so apparently I'm now scheduled for weekly appts and weekly NSTs. Freaked out, because I of course felt like my care had been taken out of my hands and the words "cascade of interventions" kept playing through my head. Finally, I decided to call my MW and it turns out the whole thing was a big misunderstanding. The Dr thought I was aware of a lot more than I was because my MW had forgotten to check with me about the NSTs at the previous appt (a point which she apologized profusely for). My MW also doesn't think I'm measuring small to her standards and explained that I was just scheduled weekly because of the NSTs but didn't have to if I didn't want to. Other than one other Dr I have to see, I will only be going to her for the rest of my appts so we can make sure we are on the same page and she assured me we're not going to start throwing me into a bunch of interventions. I felt waaaayyyy better after I talked to her and remembered "oh yeah, I can trust her!"

I got the GD sugar drink test and was glad to get it because I thought something funny was going on with my blood sugar. Came back fine but apparently I needed to take an iron supplement because my hemoglobin was low. I got "ferrofood" from Standard Process because I wanted to make sure to take a good iron supplement. I figured it would take weeks, but I started feeling better after 2 days! I had restricted my diet for various reasons and I kept feeling like I couldn't breathe, along with being emotionally and physically exhausted. Basically, I'd become so touchy that my husband was tiptoeing around me and sometimes I would just cry for no reason whatsoever. I feel extraordinarily better in all of these areas now. It's amazing what a little iron can do!

I feel sort of like a Debbie Downer because this is my second post containing negative stuff in this forum... This pregnancy has been more stressful but I realize it could be worse and I'm feeling pretty blessed and supported right now, even if it doesn't sound like it! I hope you all are doing well:)

Old 02-06-2012, 02:36 PM

Everlong - Wow, that is quite the undertaking!  Sounds like a lot of fun too, and since you've done it before you know what to expect!

Becky - Glad you got to talk to your normal MW and be reassured.  Sounds stressful to see a new provider at this point, even if you know you probably won't see them again. 

JMJ - Good luck with the swim suit, I'm curious to see what you end up with.  I have sewn a few suits.

AFM - I got a Sony monitor at Wal-Mart.  Hoping it works well for us, but if not (lots of review mention annoying out of range/interference), hoping that returning it will be easy!  I have felt like I am going to get my period for the last couple days.  Do not remember feeling like this at all with my DD.  Wonder if everything is just loosening up or what.  Not contractions/cramps, just that weird achey/full feeling you get with a period.  Anyone else experiencing this?

Old 02-07-2012, 05:52 AM

sh118- Only felt like this 1st trimester with my first I think. I would bet it's probably just some way your body is dealing with 3rd trimester and getting ready for babe. I could see everything loosening, etc making you feel this way. I hope it's not too uncomfy ;)

Old 02-07-2012, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Jmj, you could! You would be ready!

Becky, I am glad you got to see the midwife. In general I find that OB's are so in a panic. They aren't very trusting of this process.

SH118, I do think I am "loosening up". I do just dance daily and something that is starting to be harder to do. Your hips start to loosen and frankly sometimes my back starts to hurt. I use to go to 45min of exercie and now I do more like nearly 30min.

AFM, not much. I did wash the 0-3mos gender neutral stuff. I want to wash the boy stuff just in case. I also wanted to get the 3-6mos stuff taken care of. Otherwise DH just bought a new truck. I am really irritated about this purchase. I asked him to table it until we got taxes back. He wouldn't listen to me and now we have a payment due before baby. I realize not all of you follow the debt free lifestyle but all of you are having a baby and surely can see why I didn't want that big change. Now I feel like I can't even take a maturnity leave. BLAH.

Well I am off. The big kids will be here soon like a tornado of boots and jackets and today mud.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:40 PM

Hey Everyone!  Hope all is well!  Its been crazy for me so I'm glad to be able to check in and catch up with you all.

Sh118-  We got the Chicco keyfit 30.  I like to be able to get them bundled up inside as well and keep the carseat out of very cold/ or hot temps.  Whereabouts in the country do you live?  January in Utah was uncharacteristically warm,  and I also expect it to remain chilly til practically July.  I also bought the Angelcare sound and movement monitor.  I am questioning why because I haven't relied on such a monitor for any of my other children, but really felt like it was the right choice this time.  I have been known to startle a baby that I thought wasn't breathing, so I hope this will make me rest at ease that I can see movement on the monitor as well.  I just set it up tonight, in the moses basket on a stand next to my bed.  As long as baby is in the room with me I will monitor movement only, and only turn on sound during the day if baby is napping.

Thank you all for the sympathy about my painful hips.  When I went back to the chiro the next day, I was really let down.  The whole visit was just weird.  The exercises were just a generic handout that he could check different boxes in.  And at the end he wanted to adjust me, and I was surprised because I had just been adjusted the day before and felt like everything was feeling pretty good, albeit loose.  I went along with it anyway and it was awful.  I actually felt my pubic bone slip out of place during the adjustment and it killed.  I told him and he told me I "adjusted beautifully".  By the time I got home I could hardly take a step.  I had to have my husband help with the most minor movements.  All night long I could feel popping and grinding with every movement.  The next day was just as bad.  Finally while I was struggling to fix dinner I felt it pop back in and it felt so good.  I am being careful and doing light exercises and feel it is under control.  I won't be going back to the chiro unless it is out and I get desperate.  He wanted to see me 2x a week til I had the baby and more often afterwards.  I just don't think its good to be moving all my loose joints unless it is to put them back.  

Mommy Becky, sorry about the crazy scares you have.  I have been feeling a big change in hormones this week and its been rough.  I also get that feeling that I am suffocating and hate it.

Everlong, May I ask what kind of product you sell?  Trade shows are a tremendous amount of work.  I can't imagine doing what you described.I don't think I could at this point!  ANd good idea about the moby wrap.  I got this hip support that is meant to be worn after baby .  It worked great for most of my pregnancy, but now feels like it digs into my belly too much so I stopped wearing it.  But the Moby might give a good overall support.

JMJ, How is the swim suit project going?  I washed my 0-3 clothes and blankets this past weekend.  It may be a little early, but it should stay clan enough.  Since my 3-6 month clothes are sized for summer, and my babies have all run pretty true to size I am holding off on those for now, but do have then sorted in the bottom dresser drawer.  I mostly keep newborns in gowns anyway.  just so much easier on me and it seems on them too.

Hope you all are having a good week!  We're halfway to another weekend.  I am 36 weeks today and looking forward to my midwife coming for her home visit tomorrow, and bringing my birthing kit and fishy pool!

Old 02-09-2012, 09:40 AM
JMJ

MommyBecky, I'm glad to hear you were able to get back to working with your midwife.  I love how midwives just have a way of making you feel like you're going through something normal rather than a risky medical procedure.

3timesamom, I can totally understand how debts and babies are a bad mix.  It was really comforting to me that we got our house paid off just before DD was born, and we knew that we'd have all that extra house payment money coming in every month that could go towards whatever happened.  We would have been fine either way, but it's so much less stressful on the budget to be debt-free.  I hope you're able to work things out to not be under too much extra stress over this.

8inTulgeyWood, where in Utah are you?  I know of a good chiropractor in SLC.  I'm thinking of going to her myself soon if this baby doesn't get in a better position soon.

AFM, the swimsuit is coming along.  The skirt just needs elastic and looks really cute.  I'm having a harder time with the top since I'm really not at all a seamstress.  I'm currently washing my stretched-out fabric to continue working with it.  It's a wrap that I'm having a difficult time getting the exact shape I want right (and I keep fearing that I'm just messing it up - probably rightly so), and then I've got a bust piece ready to sew in, and I need to make straps for it.  I was hoping to have more time to work on it this afternoon, but I think I let my house get too out of control yesterday while I worked on it, so I may have to give it a break for today.  I'm kinda at a point that it's either going to either come together nicely, or it's going to require a lot more adjustment, and I'd like to go just a little more to get the point that I know.

I had another midwife appointment at 34 weeks.  This is my last 2-week stretch with no appointment.  Baby's been more consistently ROT/ROP, but there's been a lot more movement the past couple days, so I'm hoping...

Old 02-09-2012, 10:19 PM

SH118- I get that feeling occasionally. More towards the end though.  How far along are you?

MommyBecky,  that appnt must have been such a head spinner.  I'm really glad your midwife was able to straighten things out though!

3timesamom- that is a pretty big deal before a new baby! I think I'd be pretty po'd.  I hope he has a good plan to keep it from upsetting your budget. 

8intulgeywood-  I feel for you, mine gets so bad that it pops and cracks too.  Sometimes I feel like I have to freaking crawl to get anywhere.  I still haven't seen a chiro, that sucks that it didn't help! I'd be upset.  It sounds like it "adjusted beautifully" right out of place! geez.  I am a textile artist.  I mostly dye yarn and spinning fiber, so 1 item = 1 skein usually.   It's getting pretty nuts around here that's for sure!

JMJ- whens your due date?  sounds like we are on the same schedule.  I'll start doing weekly visits in 2 weeks. 

Things are crazy here, I have 750 items done, just about 350 more to go this weekend.  Then we get to pack it all up and get ready to take the family on our trip in just 10 days!  I love this time of year but man it's so. much. work!  I've been handling it okay, the SPD gets really crazy bad at night when I'm in bed but the next day it seems to ease up.  Thank God, because I couldn't get anything done if it was constantly hurting. 

I've been trying to sew during my down time.  I got one pretty dress sewn and a pair of yoga pants.  I also fixed a pair of maternity pants from Gap, they were WAY to tight on the belly band.  I'm going to try to get a shirt made tomorrow.  Then I will FINALLY have some decent clothes to wear! I loaned all my maternity clothes out and and still haven't gotten them back :(  I feel like a hobo in my jammies all day. 

Anyone else feeling really emotional?  I cried for a better part of the day.  I'm trying to come to grips with the lack of support we have.  Not a fun reality.  It's really getting me down, especially when we have so much going on and ppl know it.  It just sucks.   

Had a really great midwife appnt though. She understands exactly what we want (which is basically a UC) during labor/birth and even if she is there, she wont do anything but let us be and leave me to birth in my way.  Makes me excited, knowing I can do what I need to do the way I want, and not be bothered.  

Got my birth supplies ordered and a few baby items! I love fresh baby things :)

Old 02-09-2012, 10:22 PM

btw- when is everyone due/how many weeks?

I'm due the 21st of March or around there, 34.3 weeks. 

Old 02-10-2012, 09:33 AM
JMJ

Everlong, I'm due on the 18th, so I'm not quite 35 weeks, but yeah, within a few days of you.  I've been more emotional than I like.  It's manifesting itself in me being stressed and not sleeping well.  DD is also acting out more, and I think a lot of it has to do with my stress level, which of course becomes a vicious cycle.  I was reduced to tears the other evening after she skipped her nap and was completely out of control, blowing up about every little thing.  I'm hoping that once I get some of these things done, I'll be able to relax a bit more, and things will calm down.  I hope the same goes for you after your trip.

I got a little more done on my swimsuit.  It appears that it will come together and work, but there's a lot of little things I could do to make it better.  I'm trying to figure out how much to do before I just call it good.  In any case, I've got the wrap (which still needs some adjustments) sewn to the bust piece, and basically all that really has to be done is a couple little adjustments to the wrap, add straps, and put elastic in the skirt.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:52 PM

My wonderful parents are taking all 5 of my kids tonight til tomorrow afternoon so we can have a much needed break.  I am so excited for it, other than I feel so limited in what I can do i can't think of anything besides eating dinner.  We thought of going somewhere, but I really don't want to try sleeping anywhere but home at this point.  Its hard enough as it is.

JMJ. I live in Spanish Fork.  I grew up in Holladay, though.  Still I rarely make the drive to SLC.   Can't wait til the construction is over.  I have received some strong recommendations for down here now that I've asked around a bit.  I won't go back unless I really can't get my hips into place on my own.

Everlong, sounds neat what you are doing!  I hope your trip is nice.  I hurt crazy bad at night too, especially when I get up to use the bathroom.  I have to stand there and flex muscles and wait til things seem to get in the right position before I can even take a step.

I am feeling more emotional for sure.  last night I had almost a breakdown cause I just had a moment that I was filled with fear about the birth.  Mostly I feel so prepared and excited.  But once in a while I have these moments....  I had a nice talk with DH about ways he can help if I start to lose focus.  I felt a lot better after that.

I am 36 weeks and 2 days.  My midwife was supposed to come last night and bring my birthing supplies but she can down with a bad illness.  Sounds like the flu.  So we rescheduled.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Old 02-10-2012, 05:50 PM
JMJ

Ugg.  I got up last night, and something's not right with my hips.  I'm having pain around my pubic bone when I use those muscles (most notably, when I was trying to kick the drawer under my oven closed).  I'd never heard of SPD until this thread, but is this it?  What exercises can you do?  I'll call my midwife if it doesn't get better in a couple days.  On the plus side, I think my baby moved over to my left side now...

Old 02-12-2012, 12:56 PM

Got my due date changed to 3/13 so when I inevitably "go over" they don't jump too fast to a RCS.  I wanted 3/15, but it was 3/11, so I guess we compromised.  Bleh.  Depending on EDD, I'm 36 weeks, 35 weeks, 5 days or 35 weeks 3 days. LOL  I apparently only will be allowed to go to about 40.5 weeks before a RCS is scheduled.  SIGH.

DTD with hubby last night and oyyyyyy, I had what felt like mild labor contractions about 1/2 the time I was trying to sleep last night.  The other 1/2 was bad because I have a pretty bad cold and my nose kept stuffing up so I couldn't breathe.  Lovely!!!

Can I just hole up in my house until the baby is born?  No?  I need to earn money for my family and take care of DS?  Oh.

8intugleywood - how was your night away from the kids?   How did you use it?

JMJ - ugh, sorry about the pain!  I wonder what that is. :(  Hopefully you can get some answers.

MommyBecky - that doctor's appointment sounds stressful. 

Everlong - I am eternally grateful to have family I trust and like near me to help with stuff.  I don't know how people who don't have those super-supports in place do it.  I have a friend who has no family nearby and whose mother died when she was about 9 (so doesn't even have her to CALL about baby stuff!)...and she is really depressed right now.  Her first baby is 9 months old and she is really struggling.  I'm trying to hang out with her and listen to her when I can.  What else would you want from a friend right now?

Birthed a beautiful baby boy, Ethan, 11/11/09.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

Ugg.  I got up last night, and something's not right with my hips.  I'm having pain around my pubic bone when I use those muscles (most notably, when I was trying to kick the drawer under my oven closed).  I'd never heard of SPD until this thread, but is this it?  What exercises can you do?  I'll call my midwife if it doesn't get better in a couple days.  On the plus side, I think my baby moved over to my left side now...

I don't know if its the case with others, but I definitely have the pain you are describing.  The inner thigh (adductor) muscles that help squeeze the thighs together?  Yeah, If I try to push something with my foot using these muscles it is pretty bad.  Unfortunately, it actually started for me after the birth of my last baby and never got better between babies.

I'm still trying to figure out exercises that help, problem is I just am not consistent.  I have done many yoga and stretching exercises that work the hip and inner thigh region and it seems like they are all beneficial.  Squeezing a ball or something between the inner thighs helps exercise the adductors specifically.  Just don't do anything that causes pain.  Sorry you are going through this too!

Old 02-13-2012, 05:25 PM
JMJ

My pain is mostly just up at or very close to my pubic bone.  I found this website for exercises: http://mutusystem.com/exercise-for-symphysis-pubis-dysfunction-spd-or-pelvic-girdle-pain-pgp-i-pregnancy-how-exercise-can-help.html

Additionally, I called my midwife today since it's only getting worse.  I can't roll over in bed at night without extreme pain, and I can't get out of bed very well at all, etc.  She said that there's inflammation and perhaps misalignment (Baby is going crazy, drastically changing position multiple times/day) and recommended considering the following:

Homeopathic Arnica

calcium/magnesium

Tylenol

chiropractic

accupuncture

ice/heat alternating

stretching

Old 02-13-2012, 06:48 PM

JMJ, I can totally empathize.  I go through quite the ordeal to get up at night or just roll to the other side.  Lots of times I feel really great in the day and even have been taking fairly long walks.  Being active seems to help.

My midwife has me taking something called MSM.  I did a bit of research and think it sounds like great stuff.  I definitely have been better than I expected to be, based off my past pregnancies and the condition I was in when I started this one.

I also take mineral goat whey which is not only a great source of calcium/ mag and other minerals, but is the best thing I have taken for heartburn ever.  I think its called Capra Mineral whey and can be found usually only at bigger health food stores. I got mine from Good Earth, but the little, local stores didn't have it.

I put an ice pack on my pubic bone when I was really bad, and it felt great, but word of warning, I left it in place so long that I think the baby could feel it,  her head was right there pushed against it.  She actually started turning so hard I thought she was going to flip breech.  I removed it and all was well, but it made me wonder if you could use an ice pack on the head of a breech baby and get them to flip head down, though the tissue is thicker up top so the effect might not be the same.

The chiro I went to, though I think he said a lot of things wrong, told me to ice only, and no heat, including baths.  I have ignored that advice.  I love taking baths!

Thanks for the link to the exercises!  I am going to check them out for sure!

I had fun on my overnight at- home "getaway" without the kids.  It was crazy how much we missed them though!.  We went out to dinner, did the Valentines shopping for the kiddos and went home and relaxed on a bed we made in front of the fire.  And we got to sleep in as long as we want.  Then we run a couple extra errands on Saturday before picking them up.  It was a really nice break.

Over the weekend, I also stripped all my cloth diapers that had a yucky smell, and got them all sized down for a newborn and ready to go.  Today, I sterilized the breast pump so it is ready when I need it, which is a rare occasion for me, but will be much less daunting if it is ready to go.  

I still need to deep clean my bathroom, and I want to make some cloth wiped out of the scrap flannel that I have.  I also need to figure out what to use to store the cloth diapers in by the changing table.  Any Ideas?

Old 02-14-2012, 08:16 AM

JMJ- My Mom pretty much commanded me not to move things/close things with my feet when pregnant. She said I could end up injuring myself/ pulling my groin muscle. I'm inclined to believe her as I also experience pain when I try to use my feet to do things now. I bet chiro would help a lot. I don't know if I said this already but Prenatal Yoga with Collette Crawford has also helped me immensely. I originally borrowed from the library. I'm not okay with her meditations- instead of "no mind, no time" I think of the timelessness of God and being in the present moment, etc. The moves themselves are helpful though is what I'm saying. I hope you feel better!

8inTugleyWood- how did you strip your dipes? I have never had to do so, but my dipes are smelling pretty bad lately (DD2 is still using them).

I don't have a breast pump, but have used a hand pump without issue in the past. They usually have those at the hospital if I were to have an issue, right? I doubt needing it... but if baby does have Downs after all, it could mean complications and needing to pump. Duh, I guess I'll just ask my MW.

Speaking of whom, she gave me more info that the Dr. had failed to mention- baby measured 29 cm at my 32 wks (and 4 days) appt, which is why they asked for an U/S. We decided to get the U/S and just keep it as short as possible, want to check on the babe. MW explained that her entire practice as a policy recognizes that U/S is not as accurate for baby sizing, and they're not going to be trying to induce me if it somehow says the baby is "big." She also explained from studies she has read AND personal experience that it is more accurate for amniotic fluid check. I feel like I can really trust her, it's such a relief. She also keeps emphasizing that no one is going to force us into anything.

I have found doing yoga and stretches before getting into bed every single night has helped me immensely. Actually, I cannot sleep unless I stretch, because my legs get so restless. Perhaps this would be helpful to everyone who is complaining of discomfort?

Old 02-15-2012, 05:12 PM
JMJ

8inTulgeyWood, I didn't think of it until later, but the assistant midwife I'm working with mentioned that there's a chiropractor she likes in Draper.  She also likes the place in Salt Lake, so I see no reason to drive to Draper, but I can get the name for you if you need.

I ended up going to the chiropractor here today.  I'm not sure I feel better yet, but I'll give it a few times to see how things go.

MommyBecky, most hospitals have hospital/rental grade pumps for if they are needed.  You would purchase a user kit that only you would use so that your milk would only touch your kit, and nobody else's milk would touch any other part of the rest of the pump.  You also may have some time to get it figured out since according to the new Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, some mothers find it easier to just hand express their colostrum.  You can practice now if you like.  If there is something going on, though, that is making the baby's suck weak or ineffective at first, you will probably want a pretty good pump to make sure your milk supply gets well established.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:46 AM

JMJ, Thanks!  I will keep that in mind if I get desperate.  I have been doing fairly well this week.  Its still bad when I get up from lying or sitting for long periods, but in the day I am fine and mostly pretty comfortable.  I hope everything is in place for the birth!  I know when I was at my worst I couldn't move at all, and I tried to get on hands and knees, which is the position I delivered my last two in and it was impossible.

MommyBecky, a friend of mine owns a diaper making company, so I talked to her about the smell issues I am having with my diapers.  I have 30 one size pocket diapers that I made, and have used them for my last two.  They started really smelling as soon as they would get wet, like the new pee brought out all the old pee and poop.  She said I am likely using too much detergent and have ammonia bulid up.  I just soaked them first overnight in a hot water cycle with nothing in the water, then I soaked them again overnight with a dose of Rock N' Green's Funk Rock Ammonia bouncer added.  They do seem fresher, but I won't really know how well it worked til I use them, cause they didn't stink before til they were worn, and I don't have any little ones in diapers at the moment.

My breast pump is just a hand pump.  The avent Isis.  I have tried several, and found it was the most effective and gentle for me.  I HATED the cheap electric pump I tried.  It was so painful.  With one baby I had use of a hospital grade pump, though and it was super nice and way better than the hand pump.

I remember hearing a little about your baby possibly having Down's.  Would you telling me about what has led them to believe that?  And how have you been coping/preparing?

Old 02-25-2012, 03:10 PM
JMJ

This past couple weeks has been kinda a blur for me, and I've barely had a chance to breathe, much less come to MDC.  Sorry, 8inTulgeyWood, I didn't even see your birth announcement until yesterday!  How is everyone else doing?

My hips have still been giving me a lot of problems, despite a whole lot of chiropractic appointments.  I'm working really hard to get the inflammation down, and after my baby decided to temporarily go breech last weekend, I had double chiro appointments 3 days this week.  Add to that the fact that this week was the most intense week for a project I'm working on for my church, and I've definitely been pushing my limits as far as how much I can do and how much pain I can be in before I snap.  I've been doing a reasonable job of pulling myself together pretty quickly after it happens, and my husband and daughter have been amazingly patient with me.  Things finally seem to be moving in a positive direction.  The inflammation is finally going down (slowly), the baby is finally LOT (most of the time), and I've been sleeping a little bit more.

In just the past couple days, I've had a bit of time to move forward on getting ready for the birth.  I just finished my birth plan, or at least have a good draft.  I still need to go over it with my husband.  The swimsuit is almost done.  Maybe I'll even finish it this afternoon, but we'll see.  We mailed off our taxes this morning, and then it's pretty much just cooking, cleaning, and organizing before the baby comes, and everything else can get put on hold if it needs to.  Our home visit with our midwives is Monday.  37 weeks, here I come!

Old 02-26-2012, 06:00 PM
JMJ

Woo Hoo!!!  My birthing swimsuit is done.  DD is trying out the nursing holes as I type and has given her vote of approval.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:42 PM

JMJ, YAY for getting your suit finished!  And taxes as well!  I got my taxes finished the week before baby arrived and so glad i didn't put it off.  Its a good feeling to be done with them.  I ended up deciding to wear my swim suit coverup to labor in and it was perfect... a soft, short  black v neck dress.  

I took my baby to her pediatrician when she was 2 days old to get the newborn screening and he said she has a heart murmur that he wasn't too concerned about but wanted to keep an eye on.  She was supposed to go back in today to check her weight and heart, but I had to cancel because someone left the lights on in the van and the battery was dead.

My midwife came today for the one week post-partum check.  I kind of got annoyed by some of the comments.  My baby weighed 7.3 at birth according to the assistant midwife's scale, and at 2 days old she weighed  6.12 at the doctor. and today she weighed 6.15 with the midwife's scale.  Before she weighed her she said the scales could be 1/2 lb off from each other, but after she commented a couple times that "My babies are always back to their birth weight after a week", like I had let her down or something.  She also was concerned about jaundice which I have felt was really mild but she thought should be totally gone by now.  I shouldn't be annoyed, but just don't want to hear about anything else being wrong with my baby unless it is really something that needs to be addressed.  The doctor also said something about her feet, followed by a comment that it wasn't a concern.  Why mention it then?  Now I have to sit here and worry about her heart, her feet, her liver, and her weight when I feel she is doing great. Ugh.

And how crazy is this... I seemed to develop some sort of sleep apnea since she was born.  Its just temporary I hope.  I am thinking it might be aggravated just by sheer exhaustion.  I read several accounts of sleep apnea being triggered by pregnancy.  It has woken me up several times during the night gasping for air and  feeling super oxygen deprived, then I can feel it start to happen again when I go back to sleep.  Its like I have to wake up to take a breath.  It feels so scary!  Last night I finally feel like I got some sleep and didn't have any apnea episodes that I am aware of so I hope it is getting better.

Who's going to be next to join me in the postpartum club???   

Old 02-27-2012, 05:25 PM
JMJ

Aww, hugs to you 8intTulgeyWood.  I'm sorry to hear you're going through all of that.  I don't know about the heart, but everything else actually makes sense together.  When a baby is born earlier, your milk stays more like colostrum for longer.  Now, I know that your baby wasn't really that early, but if you're nursing on demand, and your baby is sucking well, it sounds like it's just that your milk took a little while to come in.  That could have something to do with the continued jaundice too.  It's really not dangerous for the baby as long as the levels are slowly going down, and this sometimes takes a while in breastfed babies, especially if your milk takes some time to come in.  I thought my milk came in quickly with my DD, but she still wasn't back up to her birth weight by a week.  I wouldn't compare yourself to your midwife at all!

Old 02-27-2012, 10:17 PM

Thanks JMJ!  That's the kicker.  My midwife has never had any children, tried and never could, so when she said that about her babies being back to their birth weight by one week old, she was referring to her clients babies!  Just annoying.  And from what I read jaundice peaks around day 5-7.  My baby is 8 days old today, so her saying that it should be totally gone doesn't seem accurate.  And it also said it is much more common in babies born before 38 weeks so your right it makes sense.

Oh well, I have so much to be grateful for.  My pregnancy was so scary during the first trimester that I really had a hard time believing I'd get a healthy baby in the end.  I am still just in awe and so in love with my new little person!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

Aww, hugs to you 8intTulgeyWood.  I'm sorry to hear you're going through all of that.  I don't know about the heart, but everything else actually makes sense together.  When a baby is born earlier, your milk stays more like colostrum for longer.  Now, I know that your baby wasn't really that early, but if you're nursing on demand, and your baby is sucking well, it sounds like it's just that your milk took a little while to come in.  That could have something to do with the continued jaundice too.  It's really not dangerous for the baby as long as the levels are slowly going down, and this sometimes takes a while in breastfed babies, especially if your milk takes some time to come in.  I thought my milk came in quickly with my DD, but she still wasn't back up to her birth weight by a week.  I wouldn't compare yourself to your midwife at all!

User Tag List