EPO - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-01-2012, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey Ladies, I can't believe it is time to discuss this, but is any one planning on starting Evening Primrose Oil...and if so when?  I can't remember when i started with my last pregnancy...Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 02-07-2012, 11:30 AM

I was told to start taking them orally at 36 weeks. I might wait until 37.

Living a life like no one else, with my husband, and all our children
#3 of 15 Old 02-08-2012, 03:25 PM

Off to google EPO...

#4 of 15 Old 02-08-2012, 09:48 PM

Me too!

#5 of 15 Old 02-08-2012, 11:03 PM

My midwife offered it with my first at 36 weeks (not supposed to start before then) but I decided against it.  I couldn't find any good evidence beyond anecdotal that it actually worked and there was some evidence that it could cause complications.  I eventually decided to just let nature take its course.

#6 of 15 Old 02-08-2012, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm wondering about this, as well. While there aren't many studies out there, they seem to suggest that it doesn't help. Midwives seem to favor it, though, and anecdotal reports are that it can help.

Have any of you used it and believe it to help? I used it last time, but I don't think it helped so much. I don't remember the dose, but I used it orally at 36 weeks, and internally at 37 weeks. My Bishop score was so-so at 39 weeks when I had a c-section.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#7 of 15 Old 02-09-2012, 10:36 AM

To be honest cameras girl I don't think the bishop score means much. 2 hrs before Seth was born I was sent home;) The lady told me I was 2cm's and REALLY high;)

Anyway my friend  told me that 2EPOS orally at 36w should be sufficient.

Living a life like no one else, with my husband, and all our children
#8 of 15 Old 02-09-2012, 11:07 AM

Well, yeah. Bishop's score doesn't mean much as far as spontaneous labor. They wanted to induce, though, and my cervix was iffy for that after a few weeks of EPO. I think that RRL is helping more this time. I haven't started prodromal labor, and by now with DD I was miserable. I'm sure that like anything, EPO helps some more than others.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#9 of 15 Old 02-09-2012, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I used EPO for my 2nd babe and I think it worked a little too well.  I didn't need it for my 3rd and wont for this babe either, since I already have some changes going on.... from what I can tell I'm about 90% effaced and 1-2cm dilated.  

Lisa- mom to 4 boys, expecting our 5th surprise in May 
#10 of 15 Old 02-10-2012, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong753 View Post

. from what I can tell I'm about 90% effaced and 1-2cm dilated.  

I wish I could still reach my cervix to check. My midwife doesn't do a pelvic exam until I'm in labour, but I'm kind of curious what's going on.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#11 of 15 Old 02-10-2012, 12:03 PM

For those that can reach, do you have any special tricks? I swear my arms shrink as soon as I get pregnant.

#12 of 15 Old 02-10-2012, 02:30 PM

I can reach just the outer opening of my cervix by squatting in the shower and reaching in with a couple fingers while my other hand grabs the wrist to help push my fingers in farther.  Its really high. I would say I am 60% effaced at this point.  I have always been 100% effaced and 4-5 cm dilated before labor starts.  I can feel the dilation start happening shortly after I hit 30 weeks, but always have carried to term.

#13 of 15 Old 02-10-2012, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Im the same 8intulgeywood, my body gets going early.  Last time I was 4-5 cm, and the time before that I was 6-7 cm for almost a week! That was the worst prodomal labor ever (and the time I took the EPO).  Still carried that little bugger to his exact due date.  

I was able to reach it pretty well about 4 or 5 weeks ago and that was when I got my estimation. I can't reach very well any longer, which is probably good because I would be stressing if I was any more then 4cm right now.  I have too much to do! 

Lisa- mom to 4 boys, expecting our 5th surprise in May 
#14 of 15 Old 02-12-2012, 11:45 AM

I'm rather naiive about this stuff...how is EPO supposed to "make things easier"? 

Birthed a beautiful baby boy, Ethan, 11/11/09.
#15 of 15 Old 02-17-2012, 05:05 PM

EPO is supposed to help the cervix soften, and by softening, encourage dilation. EPO has omega 6 oils that the body turns into prostaglandins, and the prostaglandins cause changes in the cervix. You can take it orally, vaginally, or both.

I ended up getting some borage oil because the active ingredient is more potent in borage oil. I figured I'd give it a shot, and if it doesn't help, at least borage is supposed to be good for helping milk come in. I started taking it orally today, and then will probably do suppositories when I'm term on Sunday.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page