~Calling All Homebirthers!~ - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-08-2011, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Unless it's the middle of the night, in which DD's would be sleeping anyhow, we'll have someone there just for them.  They have expressed interest in being there to witness the birth.  They will be 7 and 9 years old then.  I'm open to it but am going to just go with the flow and see what happens.  Either way, someone will be there just for them.  

Tanya treehugger.gif DH-Brian, DD Adri (8), DD Izzy (7), DS Ollie angel.gif (1/5/11 @ 17 weeks) and our rainbow1284.gif baby due April 12th, 2012.

Of all the lessons I did not learn as a child, or even as an adult; I learn through being, mother to my children. Through love and through pain, we are delivered and blessed!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 10:47 AM

My last birth was a homebirth and i LOVED it, it was so amazing not having to leave the house and driving in a car. nothing more uncomfortable then driving in a car while in labor. (my first was a hospital w/ midwife, then birth center w/ midwife). I loved the party type atmosphere that was going on before I was in active labor. I was contracting and cleaning and Hubs had some friends over while they attached a new door, my friends were hanging out with me. Even when I would hop in the shower I could hear everyone talking and laughing and it was amazing because this was a normal day yet a special day full of excitement and anticipation. Then as I got further into labor and needed to sink into myself people started leaving. It's awesome not being strapped down or told what to do.

I am using the same midwife as last time, after my last birth we actually became friends so I think it will be even more neat to have her attend this birth, although I need to ask her if she will attend even if it's not her night on call.

As for siblings at birth, I prepared my kids the last 2 births. The first time I had prepared my daughter and gotten someone to be in charge of her, only I forgot to make sure the person (my sister) was okay with kids seeing the birth. I asked for Jewel to be brought in and my sister wouldn't bring her, not because Jewel didn't want to come she did, but because my sister didn't think kids should see birth. Jewel did come in right after the babe was born and helped her Dad cut the cord, but I really wanted her there for the birth. The second time I prepared the 2 girls for the birth but it was so late at night they were both asleep. So maybe this time they will actually get to see the birth. I totally agree you should have someone there just for the kids, to keep the kids calm, to read their cues, to get them out of there if you want to be alone, just make sure the person is OKAY with kids at birth.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:52 PM

Hi!! My previous 5 were all born at home, so as long as everything goes well with this pregnancy, this will be a home birth too. I've only had UCs but I may hire a midwife this time. We'll have to see.

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
Old 08-12-2011, 02:17 PM

Have you had (or planned) a homebirth before?

Yes, we had an HBAC with our 2nd child.

• If yes, are you seeing the same midwife as before?

YES!!! I just got off the phone with her. We moved last year, and even before we moved, we were farther than she normally travels. She is willing to drive the 1 hr 15 min to our place. She must like me almost as much as I like her!  She would also like us to use a doula who lives closer this way, but we were already thinking of using her, anyway.

• If you've had a homebirth before, what was your favorite thing that you had, and what did you wish that you would have had?

I loved having good, supportive people with me. Both my midwife and very dear friend were right there praying me through. We had a birth pool, but I didn't really love it. DH and I put a lot of effort into getting it all ready, and I only used it for about 30 min. of the 18 hour labor. But you never know what you want until the time comes. We have a much nicer/bigger/deeper bathtub now, so I may just go with that for labor.

I can't think of anything I wish we had.

• Do you have any fears that you feel you need to work through?

I had a lot of fears my last pregnancy and a lot of healing to do emotionally after my son's c/s. It motivated me to be strong and healthy for the birth, but was very hard. I feel like I have worked through most things. I guess I am afraid of being overly confident this time. Also, last time no one knew about our homebirth plans. I am glad to not be doing dual care this time, but I think I will face a lot more questions and opinions about the homebirth this time.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
Old 08-12-2011, 02:25 PM

• Have you had (or planned) a homebirth before? First baby in hospital my 4th hb 2nd uc

• If yes, are you seeing the same midwife as before? I do my own care

• If you've had a homebirth before, what was your favorite thing that you had, and what did you wish that you would have had? Being a hb midwife I have all the comfort and equipment I need..add my man I'm good to go.

• Do you have any fears that you feel you need to work through? I have all the "fears" of the unknown but I feel these feelings keep my grounded ready for anything. Dh tells me everything is fine and I beleive him, he takes away my worries.

Glad to find mams exspecting with me! I love the dd clubs wonderful support!

Midwife & Mom to Gracen 9 luxlove.gif, Avery 6joy.gif Urijah 4superhero.gif Greta Sue, 9-9-10babyf.gifuc.jpg  Oh Baby! 1sttri.gif Due in April

Old 08-12-2011, 11:04 PM

Have you had (or planned) a homebirth before?

Yes:) I've had 2 homebirths so far. My 2nd birth was a home waterbirth with a MW and my 3rd was a planned UC. (First was a horrible hospie birth...natural but still awful).

I had prenatal care with a m/w last time around and the just didn't call until awhile after the birth but this time around I will be doing my own care.

• If you've had a homebirth before, what was your favorite thing that you had, and what did you wish that you would have had?

An Aquaborn Eco pool! I borrowed it from a close friend and LOVED it! It is super deep and keeps the heat in. I cannot imagine giving birth in a fishy pool again like I did with my 2nd DS. Just no comparison at all. Hmmmm....well I guess I wish we had had more food frozen in our freezer. I'm going to make sure that we have lots of dinners ready to go this time:)

• If you haven't had a homebirth before, what are you most looking forward to?

Right now, no. I feel very at peace with our decision to birth without attendants and I really go with my gut feelings...... I don't say that things WILL be a certain way because I know that anything can happen in 9 months..... but I do feel very confident that my birth will go smoothly and easily like it has every time.

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

Old 08-16-2011, 07:11 AM

• Have you had (or planned) a homebirth before?

I had a HBAC last October

I am :) I also work for her now as her assistant

The birth pool. I didnt deliver in it...but i labored in it and it was HEAVNENLY. I didnt have an actual birth pool...but we got the "fishy pool" that is common in the homebirthing community. The warm water was amazing during contractions.

I dont really have any fears this time. But its still early..lol.

Hip Hippie Mamatreehugger.gif to Baylin & Evangélina hbac.gif and Wife to my sexy Frenchman Clément luxlove.gif living frugally green in the beautiful mountains of West Virginia. Expecting our newest French Fry July 2012!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***Rainbow.gif

Old 08-16-2011, 08:14 AM

I am planning a homebirth, for the third time, and I'm really counting on the third time being a charm.

DS1 was a planned homebirth with midwives in Calgary, Alberta.  My water broke at 35 weeks and I went 4 1/2 days before we ended up in a cesarean.  Turns out he was so caught up in the cord that he couldn't descend.  With the support of wonderful midwives, and after trying every possible thing for the 4 1/2 days, I have regrets that it turned out in a cesarean, but know that it was necessary and very grateful that the procedure was there.

DS2 was a planned "hotel"birth with midwives in Windsor, Ontario.  I was living in Michigan and couldn't afford insurance, so we drove to Ontario where I could get healthcare.  While my midwife was awesome for so much, as soon as I said I felt like I was going to die, she suggested going to the hospital.  I hadn't ever been that far in labour before, so I felt something must be really bad if she suggested we go.  We got to the hospital where I laboured naturally until 10 cm and pushing, but I had gone 2 full days in labour by that point, and was completely exhausted so I couldn't push him out.  I got an epidural and rested for a while, then pushed for 3 hours.  At that point the MW had to call in an OB for a consult, who hearing that I had been in labour for 2 days, had been pushing for 3 hours and was a previous cesarean said that we needed to head directly into another cesarean.  My MW didn't say anything, so I looked right at the OB and said, "Absolutely not! This baby is coming out one way, and one way only!"  So, we wheeled into the OR for a forcept delivery. I pushed and the OB pulled and after 2 episiotomies and three pushes he was out.  It was terrible, and two years later, thousands of dollars at a physiotherapist, my pelvic floor is still ruined.  I really felt that with a little more support from my MW things would have been just fine.  I needed a "Jenny, this is labour.  It may be painful.  It may suck.  But, you can do it, so let's get to it!" (You can read my emotional rendition of the story here, if you want.)

This baby has been conceived back in Calgary where I will use the midwife I had with my first baby, and I can't wait.  I've been a doula at homebirths that she has attended and I am so excited. 

For this homebirth I am going to buy one of the really fancy birth tubs.  I've still got the fishy pool from the last two, which will work just fine, but I need to spoil myself. I am also going to have anyone I feel I need there.  Because of the crossing the international boarder thing with my last birth, I didn't have the people around that I loved and needed, and this time I'm going to have everyone there, even if they all just sit downstairs and watch a movie, I want them near if I need them.  I am also hiring a birth photographer.  My DS thinks this is a silly expense, but I need pictures of the birth, of the first moments of me seeing the baby, of the first moments with my sons and the baby.  I barely got any pictures with the other two, and I need it with this one. 

I'm not scared with this one. I've gone through an incredible journey since DS two was born (I've become a doula since then and witnessed many beautiful births) and am not afraid of it at all.  I am not going to skimp on anything I think I might need, and I'm not going to feel bad about any of it. 

It's wonderful to see other homebirth mamas out there and have the support of others going through the same thing I am!

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
Old 08-16-2011, 10:09 AM

i have had a hospital birth in the past which i did not enjoy. i had no where to walk around and there were students poking their heads through the doors and the midwives acted like i was an inconvenience to them. they just wanted to be in the staff room drinking tea! i really hope i get a home birth this time. i cant imagine anything better that being in my comfortable home with my new baby. this also allows close family to pop round during my labour whenever they please which i find comforting. 

i hated hospital last time. there was no point in being there. the midwife left me alone most of the time, i had no pain releif, my husband got sent home as soon as DS was born and i was placed on a ward full of people who snored so loud that i had no sleep at all. the next day i had to wait untill evening for the doctor the check DS before i was allowed home. to me it was a lot of stress for something which could have been straight forward. 

im looking forward to making my house comfortable with blankets, candles and hot chocolate. 

it can be slightly worrying incase something goes wrong which is only a natural feeling but knowing that an ambulance can be called at any time is comforting. 

i cant wait!!! x

Old 08-16-2011, 02:05 PM

• Have you had (or planned) a homebirth before?  My daughter's birth was planned as a home birth, but we ended up transferring to a hospital.  I was GBS+, which would have been fine, but my water broke and with no real signs of labour after 8+ hours I went in for an induction. 

• If yes, are you seeing the same midwife as before?  Planning a home birth again this time, and we've got the same primary midwife.

• If you've had a homebirth before, what was your favorite thing that you had, and what did you wish that you would have had?  I was really looking forward to using the birthing tub for a water birth or help with contractions.  Hopefully this time!

• If you haven't had a homebirth before, what are you most looking forward to?  A more peaceful and natural birth.

• Do you have any fears that you feel you need to work through?  Yes, I don't want things to go the way they did last time.  I am really worried that something similar will happen and we will have to transfer again.  I had total faith in my body the first time around, and now I don't. :(  I know I can get through the labour without pain medication (did it last time even though I was induced) but I worry my body will fail me in other ways.

knit.gifLaura, mama to my wonderful Wilhelmina (11/08) energy.gif and my precious Peregrine (4/12) babyboy.gif

Old 08-16-2011, 02:20 PM

Havent had time to read he thread, but the quick low-down; first 2 in hospital. Last 3 @ home. Im actually considering going back to the hospital because of the cost. Though even as I write this, I am thinking there has to be a way to stay home.

Samanthawild.gif mama to 5 joy.gif                                                         

Old 08-18-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzusplace View Post

Last homebirth we lived in the country. This time we're in townhouses ("student housing") so I'm a little nervous about the close proximity of people.  It's good to hear no one thought anything of it with you ;)

zuzusplace, I gave birth to my second in a birthing pool out on our back deck.  At the time, we lived next to a stodgy 55 year old bachelor, whose yard was in very close proximity to our own.  I hadn't intended to deliver in the water (harhar!) but once I got in, I talked at length about how I was never getting out again.  I hadn't intended to deliver out in the backyard, but I did, and I wasn't quiet about it. 

Apparently, Neal was in and out of his house during the birth (I found out later from my husband.)  The next time I saw him, I was unloading groceries from the car and I blushed 18 shades of red and introduced him to the baby.  I wasn't going to bring anything up, but he said, "Born outside, eh?  Well that was an experience I'd never expected to have!  Good for you!" And he whapped me on the back and went into his house chuckling.  :)

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 

DS1, 6 years.  DS2, 4 years.  DS3, brand new!  (April 2012)

Old 08-18-2011, 07:16 PM

My first four were hospital births, the last 3 homebirths.

Yes, she is one of my favorite people!

I wish I would have had a person to do photos. As it was I have 1 photo of the baby from my first, one from the second, and a few of baby from the third. None of labor or me pregnant that day. I also would like to have music on, which just hasn't happened yet. Oh, and I would like to have something extravagent and lovely put up to eat for after baby is born. Oatmeal and lasagna were good, but a real treat would just be nice.Like a big bowl of fresh fruit with all the expensive fruits I normally skip ;) I loved having my shower, and labored in there for all 3.

Wendy,loving wife to Brian, happy mama of Trinity(15), Christian(15), Gavin(13), Logan(11), Griffon(9),Jubilee(7), Epiphany (4), and Lucian Danger( born 18 April 12) <3
Old 08-18-2011, 07:17 PM

Alethia, I love that you delivered outside! I have always daydreamed about it...there is such an awesome feel to the idea.

Wendy,loving wife to Brian, happy mama of Trinity(15), Christian(15), Gavin(13), Logan(11), Griffon(9),Jubilee(7), Epiphany (4), and Lucian Danger( born 18 April 12) <3
Old 08-19-2011, 01:27 AM

wendy- it was really nice.  it was a warm, sunny morning and I had planted alyssum all around the deck, so the air not only felt nice-- it smelled lovely!

one of the three midwives that ended up attending my birth was also a photographer, so I ended up getting about 4 or 5 pictures every minute during pushing, birth, and immediately afterwards.  such a treat!

this time, though, i think it's safe to say we will be delivering inside!

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 

DS1, 6 years.  DS2, 4 years.  DS3, brand new!  (April 2012)

Old 08-19-2011, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Another homebirth mama here! 

Yes, DD1, DD2 and DS2 were all born at home.

No, it's not in the budget this time.  crap.gif  I'll be getting prenatal care at the local military hospital (ugh, I can see a lot of butting of heads coming) and will have a UC.

My favorite thing was definitely my birth tub.

My fear doesn't deal with the birth itself, but from dealing with prenatal care from the Naval Hospital.  I don't do testing, vaginal exams, ultrasounds, etc. and I know from dealing with them before that they don't like that.  I won't be going in to get the pregnancy confirmed or for a prenatal for quite a while.  I love the birth itself, as long as I'm left alone and nobody talks to me or touches me. 

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 08-20-2011, 02:19 AM

My first was a birthing center, second at home, third at hospital (blanket insurance coverage), fourth at home, fifth at home, sixth at home w/different midwife

NO! I had a horrible birth last time. Due to complete mismanagement of the third stage, I had a complete uterine prolapse. Horrible recovery.

My midwife from Texas!

Frankly, I may never homebirth again. If I might have a repeat of last time I may as well go to the hospital and get mismanaged for less out of pocket! That is why I'm reading this thread! I want to remember why I WAS a fervent home birth supporter.

My dd, who was at my last three births and saw the difference between midwives, the mismanagement of my labor and held my brand new baby while the midwife 'fisted' my uterus back inside me, is using the same midwife. This has been very tough for me. It finally came down to me telling myself, "It's her pregnancy, she is a grown woman and entitled to make her own birth choices."

Old 08-20-2011, 02:20 AM

I'm sorry for all the negativity and I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from home birthing!

I'm wondering if using a different midwife and having another wonderful homebirth may be a way for me to 'heal'?

Old 08-20-2011, 06:36 AM

Itsasecret, I have a friend who wanted so desperately wanted a homebirth. She went with the midwife who looked better on paper. Her experience was unpleasant to say the least,including a badly mismanaged labor and delivery. She just had another baby,at home with a different midwife, and it very much helped her heal. She was very upfront with her about what had happened and what she needed and it was everything she had wanted.I am so sorry for your trauma and hope my friend's story helps. I think just talking to a different midwife might help,even if you did plan to go to the hospital.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelbranch View Post

• Have you had (or planned) a homebirth before?  My daughter's birth was planned as a home birth, but we ended up transferring to a hospital.  I was GBS+, which would have been fine, but my water broke and with no real signs of labour after 8+ hours I went in for an induction. 

• If yes, are you seeing the same midwife as before?  Planning a home birth again this time, and we've got the same primary midwife.

• If you've had a homebirth before, what was your favorite thing that you had, and what did you wish that you would have had?  I was really looking forward to using the birthing tub for a water birth or help with contractions.  Hopefully this time!

• If you haven't had a homebirth before, what are you most looking forward to?  A more peaceful and natural birth.

• Do you have any fears that you feel you need to work through?  Yes, I don't want things to go the way they did last time.  I am really worried that something similar will happen and we will have to transfer again.  I had total faith in my body the first time around, and now I don't. :(  I know I can get through the labour without pain medication (did it last time even though I was induced) but I worry my body will fail me in other ways.

Laura, did you get antibiotics at the hospital for your GBS? I've had a crazy and varied experience with GBS in my pregnancies and I'm always interested to hear how other mamas deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natwatson84 View Post

i have had a hospital birth in the past which i did not enjoy. i had no where to walk around and there were students poking their heads through the doors and the midwives acted like i was an inconvenience to them. they just wanted to be in the staff room drinking tea! i really hope i get a home birth this time. i cant imagine anything better that being in my comfortable home with my new baby. this also allows close family to pop round during my labour whenever they please which i find comforting. 

i hated hospital last time. there was no point in being there. the midwife left me alone most of the time, i had no pain releif, my husband got sent home as soon as DS was born and i was placed on a ward full of people who snored so loud that i had no sleep at all. the next day i had to wait untill evening for the doctor the check DS before i was allowed home. to me it was a lot of stress for something which could have been straight forward. 

im looking forward to making my house comfortable with blankets, candles and hot chocolate. 

it can be slightly worrying incase something goes wrong which is only a natural feeling but knowing that an ambulance can be called at any time is comforting. 

i cant wait!!! x

Oh, I'm so sorry you had a birth like that! I think your homebirth will be like night and day.  smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendybird View Post

My first four were hospital births, the last 3 homebirths.

Yes, she is one of my favorite people!

I wish I would have had a person to do photos. As it was I have 1 photo of the baby from my first, one from the second, and a few of baby from the third. None of labor or me pregnant that day. I also would like to have music on, which just hasn't happened yet. Oh, and I would like to have something extravagent and lovely put up to eat for after baby is born. Oatmeal and lasagna were good, but a real treat would just be nice.Like a big bowl of fresh fruit with all the expensive fruits I normally skip ;) I loved having my shower, and labored in there for all 3.

Wendybird, I felt the same way about photos, I had pretty much none of any of my births, and when I thought my previous baby was going to be my last (ha!) I asked my friend who's a professional photographer to come take pictures. I am SO GLAD she did! The pictures I have from DD's birth are amazing and I truly treasure them. So I would say, get a photographer if you can.  =] 

(If anyone's interested, here's the pics from DD's homebirth:  THE BIRTH  &  AFTER THE BIRTH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsasecret View Post

My first was a birthing center, second at home, third at hospital (blanket insurance coverage), fourth at home, fifth at home, sixth at home w/different midwife

NO! I had a horrible birth last time. Due to complete mismanagement of the third stage, I had a complete uterine prolapse. Horrible recovery.

My midwife from Texas!

Frankly, I may never homebirth again. If I might have a repeat of last time I may as well go to the hospital and get mismanaged for less out of pocket! That is why I'm reading this thread! I want to remember why I WAS a fervent home birth supporter.

My dd, who was at my last three births and saw the difference between midwives, the mismanagement of my labor and held my brand new baby while the midwife 'fisted' my uterus back inside me, is using the same midwife. This has been very tough for me. It finally came down to me telling myself, "It's her pregnancy, she is a grown woman and entitled to make her own birth choices."

hug2.gif  I hope this birth is very healing for you, mama!

Has anyone had one homebirth with no birthtub, and then the next *with* a tub?? Any preference?  I had my first HB with no tub because I didn't think it would make enough difference to be worth the cost, but for the second (my most recent birth) I bought an actual birth tub and LOVED it!! I will never get rid of it until I'm in menopause and absolutely SURE I'll never give birth again.  =]

slinggirl.gif  Melissa: wife todh_malesling.GIF, mama to 5 dear children grouphug.gif and remembering Matthias angel2.gif (8.9.05 - 8.10.05)

Old 08-21-2011, 11:03 AM

I actually got antibiotics starting at home with an IV, and would have birthed there like that if labour had started to get going.  After the transfer to hospital they continued the IV antibiotics.   For this pregnancy I`m going to see what I can do to avoid a GBS positive test result.    Anyone have any luck with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_honeyb View Post

Laura, did you get antibiotics at the hospital for your GBS? I've had a crazy and varied experience with GBS in my pregnancies and I'm always interested to hear how other mamas deal with it.

knit.gifLaura, mama to my wonderful Wilhelmina (11/08) energy.gif and my precious Peregrine (4/12) babyboy.gif

Old 08-22-2011, 08:32 AM

I've been Group B unknown for both my labours, and so avoided a lot of the stress of it, but one of the things I did read was to do garlic suppositories. You should look it up, but I think the directions were to thread a needle through a peeled clove of garlic and stick it into your vaginal cavity like a tampon overnight.  It's supposed to get rid of GBS.  Never tried it, but meant to if I was positive.

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
Old 08-22-2011, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Has anyone had one homebirth with no birthtub, and then the next *with* a tub?? Any preference?  I had my first HB with no tub because I didn't think it would make enough difference to be worth the cost, but for the second (my most recent birth) I bought an actual birth tub and LOVED it!! I will never get rid of it until I'm in menopause and absolutely SURE I'll never give birth again.  =]

With DD1 I labored in the tub but she wasn't born in the tub.  My midwife got to my house and I wasn't sure if I was really in labor or not.  She asked if I wanted to be checked (I usually don't do any VEs), and I said yes just to see if I had started dilating yet.  I climbed out of the birth tub and 2 steps away my water broke as she crowned, 2 contractions and ~5 minutes later she was out.  (So yes, I was definitely in labor, LOL.)  My next two were born in the tub, and I definitely preferred it that way. 

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 08-22-2011, 02:37 PM

• Have you had (or planned) a homebirth before?  No.  I really wanted one w/ DD, but was in FL at the time, and I could not find a willing MW to do it.  :(  I did have a hospital birth w/ a midwife, and it was ok.  My aftercare totally sucked.  DD was born in December, so all the nurses were on vacation, and they had the floor staffed w/ 1st and 2nd semester community college students.  They knew nothing, unfortunately, and the one nurse we did have came in and talked to me and DH for about an hour about how we should enjoy DD while she's a baby b/c her 8 y/o son is a terror and talks back, then she started crying about how she didn't know where she went wrong, and just wouldn't leave us to enjoy our new baby that we had to wait 6 hours for the nursery to bring us b/c she was "cold."

• If yes, are you seeing the same midwife as before?  No, different states. 

• If you haven't had a homebirth before, what are you most looking forward to?  Being in control of the environment, will likely water birth in our giant garden tub, (a major selling point of this house was b/c I could birth in the tub, lol), and eating/drinking and moving around if I want to.  And sleeping in my own bed w/out people constantly trying to take the baby to the nursery so I can "rest" yet waking me up every hour to check my temps/blood pressure.  My after care was terrible, did I mention that already?

• Do you have any fears that you feel you need to work through?  I am nervous about potential complications, but I feel I've proven myself already, even though DD's birth will have been 8 years before this baby's birth.  I know I can do it, I'm a little older, but I'm a lot wiser, and I know I can do this.

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:02 PM

• Have you had (or planned) a homebirth before? - Planning a homebirth for our first baby.

• If yes, are you seeing the same midwife as before? - N/A

• If you've had a homebirth before, what was your favorite thing that you had, and what did you wish that you would have had? N/A

• If you haven't had a homebirth before, what are you most looking forward to? - Being in control, not having someone in my face all the time.  Basically, looking forward to greeting our new little one in our new home together.

• Do you have any fears that you feel you need to work through? - Honestly, no.  Maybe I am being naive, but I really don't. I just feel confident.  I am sure things will surface and I will just have to work through them as they come.

My family = Me + DH plus new babe 5/12 make 3 buddamomimg1.png

Old 08-23-2011, 01:13 PM

• Have you had (or planned) a homebirth before? - yes, DS was born at home, planned

• If yes, are you seeing the same midwife as before? - no, wah, my MW is moving

• If you've had a homebirth before, what was your favorite thing that you had, and what did you wish that you would have had? Liked having the fishy pool, don't think we missed anything

• If you haven't had a homebirth before, what are you most looking forward to? NA

• Do you have any fears that you feel you need to work through? - I do actually.  I was really positive and used hypnobirthing for my first birth.  But this time, I am really afraid of tearing my perineum for some reason, LOL. 

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

Old 08-23-2011, 04:47 PM

• Have you had (or planned) a homebirth before? - Yes.  I had a homebirth for my first baby. 

• If yes, are you seeing the same midwife as before? - Yes!  I feel very comfortable with her and her partner.  I am confident that they are highly qualified.

• If you've had a homebirth before, what was your favorite thing that you had, and what did you wish that you would have had? The birth pool.  Ahhh, wonderful warm water.  I don't know what I would have done without it.  It was wonderful.  I wish we would have conveyed to the midwives better how far along I was so she would have gotten there a little sooner.  She actually got there after I couldn't help but push and my baby was born 30 minutes later or less.

• Do you have any fears that you feel you need to work through? - Not really.  I had full dual care last time and want to have back up this time and some testing, but mostly just see the midwives.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy1980 View Post

• Do you have any fears that you feel you need to work through?  I am nervous about potential complications, but I feel I've proven myself already, even though DD's birth will have been 8 years before this baby's birth.  I know I can do it, I'm a little older, but I'm a lot wiser, and I know I can do this.

Hey Christy - I just wanted to mention that at my first birth (homebirth), there were various complications right after the birth, including bad tearing for me, and baby needing deep suction a few times and oxygen - and you know, the midwives had all of the gear right there at the birth, and were able to do most of it with her right on my chest.  So it's completely normal to worry about complications, but don't stress too much about it in terms of having a homebirth.  

For me, the moment of birth is such a minor aspect of the whole experience - the prenatal visits and the postnatal care makes SUCH an impact on the changing family, and THAT is the reason I always advocate for my friends to get a midwife:-)  Who can beat 45 minute appointments over cups of tea, and home visits in that first week?  PLUS, the empowered care where the MOM is in charge is SOOOOOOOOOOOO awesome.  From the first moments my first was born, they were asking MY permission to check her out and it was clear this was my show.  My sil had a totally different experience with an OBYGYN in a hospital, where she was asking, 'do you think it's okay if I pick him up?'  To me, this subtle difference makes all the difference in the world.  Anyways, you don't need my rant, just thought I'd try to put your mind at ease a little!!!!!

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
Old 08-24-2011, 08:17 AM

I'm through half of Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. The first half is all birth stories of women who birthed at the Farm. It seems really early for this, but I have a feeling I'll be renewing this library book many times, going over the stories, and bolstering my resolve and beliefs about birthing. I'm getting pretty well convinced that I need to prepare my mind really really well, and if I do that, my labor will go really really well. :D

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
Old 08-24-2011, 08:19 AM

• Have you had (or planned) a homebirth before? - yes, all three of my births so far have been planned homebirths

• If yes, are you seeing the same midwife as before? - I WISH.  We moved across the country, and now that we're pregnant, I'm feeling particularly homesick.  I knew what to expect with them, and they knew how I birthed, and we had a great system going....

• If you've had a homebirth before, what was your favorite thing that you had, and what did you wish that you would have had? We had the fishy pool from Canadian Tire for each birth, and I LOVED labouring in that.  Loved my exercise ball, my music, my own bathroom, and my bed to collapse into:-)  I can't think of anything I wish I had - perhaps a professional photographer.  That's one thing I've always wanted, as I LOVE seeing the story of peoples' labours and births!

• If you haven't had a homebirth before, what are you most looking forward to? NA

• Do you have any fears that you feel you need to work through? - I feel pretty confident that I'll be able to stand my ground and have the birth I want (helps that I tend to be pretty quick!) but I do have fears that I'll get a new or inexperienced midwife who will try to interfere too much or not leave me alone.  Also, I would like to focus a lot on not tearing this time around.  That was my big focus with my last birth, and I panted and slowly eased his head out no problems, was so proud of how much I slowed that down, but then in turning his shoulders got totally stuck, he bruised my pubic bone hard and then I had to shift and push HARD just to get him out before he got too stuck, and I ended up tearing.  Better, for sure, than having him get totally stuck, but still disappointing.  

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  

User Tag List