SPD - Anyone else had it in a previous pregnancy - Mothering Forums
April 2012 > SPD - Anyone else had it in a previous pregnancy
Hooplehead's Avatar Hooplehead 04:55 AM 08-05-2011

SPD hit me at around 6 months last time and it was not fun.  I could not get dressed, get out of the car, take big steps, etc.  Thankfully I found a chiropractor that was able to help me.  I had to see him once a week but he kept me functioning.

I am wondering if it will return this time?

sunflwrmoonbeam's Avatar sunflwrmoonbeam 07:49 AM 08-05-2011

I'm in the same boat. SPD reared its ugly head around 10 weeks with DD and I was unable to do my job by 14. With regular chiropractic and a lot of rest, I could do things like take care of myself with only moderate discomfort, but it was still pretty awful. It went away at 35 weeks, thankfully.

I'm already having SI joint pain at 5w5d and will be seeing my chiro this morning.

lightheartedmom's Avatar lightheartedmom 05:01 PM 08-05-2011
I developed SPD as a result of bad positioning during dd1's birth. It came back during my second pregnancy and while it wasn't nearly what you're describing in terms of pain, it was a big inconvenience as I couldn't walk most places after 25 weeks and it made sleeping almost impossible. I went away mostly after dd2's birth but it still returns occasionally if I do lots of deep squatting. I cannot sleep without a pillow between my legs to this day. In assuming it will get worse with this pregnancy, but now that I've heard so many moms who've had success with chiropractic treatment, I may have to try that.

miss_honeyb's Avatar miss_honeyb 06:28 PM 08-05-2011

Oh man, this is really the worst issue of pregnancy for me! I've had it for the last 3 of my 5 pregnancies and I'm assuming I'll have it again. When I was pregnant with my now 5 year old DS, the OB told me it was ROUND LIGAMENT PAIN. I was like, No, it's not. I can't put my pants on, man, that's not round ligament pain! But I believed him because I thought he was the pregnancy god. eyesroll.gif 

Then with the next baby I was seeing my midwife and I started to describe it to her and she was like, yeah, that's SPD, you need to go to the chiro.  lol.gif  It certainly helped, along with a support belt and the good ol' pillow between the legs at night! Mine always goes away within a few days of the baby's birth.  Have you ladies found that chiro totally relieves it, or just makes it bearable? Mine made it bearable but didn't totally take it away.

sunflwrmoonbeam's Avatar sunflwrmoonbeam 08:29 PM 08-05-2011

Bearable but not perfect. The first day I saw the chiro I couldn't take more than 3 steps without collapsing in agony, literally. DH had to take the day off work that day because I was totally immobile. I did have to quit my job that required a lot of walking, and rested a lot. But after regular chiropractic I could walk around the grocery store with only minimal resting, and wasn't in pain most of the time. Rolling over in bed was still pretty excruciating. Oddly enough it just about went away at 35 weeks, at which point I only had the mild back pain of "oh look, it's a big belly." 35-42 weeks I was walking a mile, mile and a half a day and was fine.

I just want to rant a bit. So few people don't get SPD. I have an acquaintance who's had a stillbirth and when I mentioned a few times that I couldn't do x because of my pelvic pain, she sent me this long screed about how I should be grateful to have such a healthy pregnancy and all pregnant women have back pain and what am I complaining about. Yeah, there's a difference between a sore back and being rendered immobile from the agony of SPD. I've had a few comments along the lines of "well if you weren't so fat..." (I wear a US size 14/BMI 30) which also makes me extremely angry. OH! And I was threatened by my last boss for having to quit my job over SPD. SPD is a nightmare, and if I could choose I'd rather deal with hyperemesis again than the hip agony. I don't know how I'll be able to care for a 2 year old while unable to walk, so here's hoping I can walk the whole time. 

Can't I just wake up 35 weeks pregnant?

lightheartedmom's Avatar lightheartedmom 04:44 PM 08-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post

... So few people don't get SPD. I have an acquaintance who's had a stillbirth and when I mentioned a few times that I couldn't do x because of my pelvic pain, she sent me this long screed about how I should be grateful to have such a healthy pregnancy and all pregnant women have back pain and what am I complaining about. Yeah, there's a difference between a sore back and being rendered immobile from the agony of SPD. I've had a few comments along the lines of "well if you weren't so fat..." (I wear a US size 14/BMI 30) which also makes me extremely angry. OH! And I was threatened by my last boss for having to quit my job over SPD. SPD is a nightmare, and if I could choose I'd rather deal with hyperemesis again than the hip agony. I don't know how I'll be able to care for a 2 year old while unable to walk, so here's hoping I can walk the whole time. 

Can't I just wake up 35 weeks pregnant?

"if you weren't so fat..."?!!!!! (head explodes)
Seriously?!!! You just reminded me why my general rule is to hate just about everyone besides my husband and kids when I'm pregnant. What the heck? I will never get over the nerve of people and the things they feel somehow entitled to say to pregnant women.

Sorry you had to deal with such asinine blankity blank people.
I was so glad to have my DDC to whine to when I was pregnant with dd2 for precisely this reason. The ladies here are generally game to commiserate without competing for who has it worst, or judging you for being a whiney pregnant lady. :-)

Maybe you'll get lucky and it wont be as bad this time
sunflwrmoonbeam's Avatar sunflwrmoonbeam 08:16 PM 08-15-2011

SPD is starting. I have the burning in my pelvis, the wonky pain in the low back, and tonight I had one step that was painful. 7w1d. We are so done after this kid.

justKate's Avatar justKate 02:58 PM 08-16-2011

Oh my goodness, I cannot imagine it starting so early! (Knock on wood!) I had it from about 30 weeks on, but with a support belt and staying conscious of opening my legs too far, it was pretty tolerable.  So sorry that anyone is dealing with this already.

As for the "so fat comment..."  Cuss.gif  hopmad.gif splat.gif

falafala's Avatar falafala 07:22 PM 10-10-2011

Mine got worse with each of my 3 pregnancies, but I also got smarter. I started seeing the chiropractor much earlier with each one. I found that if I went once a week, it kept most things at bay. I was also really good at following these rules http://backpainandpregnancy.blogspot.com/2008/09/understanding-pelvic-pain-in-pregnancy.html

vivica2's Avatar vivica2 07:46 PM 10-10-2011

what is SPD? you guys keep using the initials, and i cant figure out what it is! haha. is it sciatic pain? it sounds worse. hope you all find it easier this pregnancy. :)

sunflwrmoonbeam's Avatar sunflwrmoonbeam 07:51 PM 10-10-2011

Symphysis pubis dysfunction. It's awful.

falafala's Avatar falafala 12:41 PM 01-09-2012

I had it earlier and earlier with each of my 3 pregnancies. My the 3rd one, I was smart enough to go to the chiropractor by my 8th week. I think it really helped to go earlier rather than later, I found that I could go a few days between adjustments before I really hurt.

Here are some good tips.

http://backpainandpregnancy.blogspot.com/2008/09/understanding-pelvic-pain-in-pregnancy.html

usagi629's Avatar usagi629 11:22 PM 01-11-2012

Well dang... I don't know if I have this or SI, but since this describes the clicking when walking which I've had since waaaaaaaaaaaay early on, I'm guessing it's this. I had no idea what it was, and I never thought to mention it to my midwife. It was annoying and a little uncomfortable when my joints/spine were click-clacking when I'd walk, but it wasn't all together painful. Now, however, it's getting to the point that I'm having pain on one hip/side or the other all the time almost. I know my husband has to be getting tired of massaging my hips/back/butt, but at least he's still willing to do it. I'm thinking of ordering a belt to see if that helps, but it sounds like I should probably see a chiro after all.

jules33's Avatar jules33 06:35 PM 01-24-2012

I know this is an old thread, but if anyone out there could use a little reassurance, I had HORRIBLE SPD during my 1st pregnancy and I started to feel it coming on with this one too, around 18 weeks.  I don't know why, but it never really materialized and I'm now 28 weeks and not a hint of it in sight.  I know a lot of you suffered with all of your pregnancies (and that totally sucks!!!!) but there might be hope for some!!!  

Good luck mamas :) :)

Up