VBAC support thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2011, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone else VBACing?

My daughter was occiput posterior, at one point asynclitic (though my amazing midwife managed to startle her back straight) and a brow presentation, and consequently I had a very necessary c-section. Because I got so far into natural labor (8cms and 2nd knuckle from the exit--+1?) I feel confident in my ability to birth, if the position is good. I'm terrified that there's something wrong with my pelvis that makes my baby want to get in the worst position humanly possible.

Yes, I'm using Spinning Babies this time around.

How're you feeling about VBAC?

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2011, 03:00 PM

I'm VBACing too!

I was in labor for 32 hours; fully dilated, pushing for 2 hours....midwife came in and said it was probably time for a section.  We cried together... Doc found that she was wrapped in her cord, once around the neck, once around the torso.  I truly believe it was necessary, and I know my body can do this.

I had a lot of emotional trauma from my "failed" natural birth (and the NICU stay that ensued) but I really feel at peace with it now.  My body isn't broken, my DD was just tangled.  Here's a photo of her after birth--you can see how her head is moulded from me pushing on her!

aubs cone head

Poor baby didn't look anything like that a few days later:

aubs sleeping nicu

Old 08-06-2011, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh, I"m sorry about the NICU stay. What was it for? We have a hospital in my area that likes putting healthy full term infants in the NICU for 5 days. I've heard probably 8 stories about that in the past 2 years.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
Old 08-06-2011, 05:02 PM

The hospital where she was born didn't have a children's ward, much less a NICU, so when they weren't 100% sure she had peed w/in the 1st 24 hours (and she was sleepy--didn't want to latch), they determined that she "might" have an infection.  So they air lifted her to Miami Children's Prison, where they poked/prodded/observed her for a variety of scary conditions that never materialized.  Basically she was sleepy from the drugs they gave me (my bad choice while in pain) and they weren't well enough equipped to "wait and see" because the nearest NICU was 200 miles away.  A perfect storm of interventions and ignorance (not in the derogatory way).  

What a mess, right?  Anyway, only positive thoughts moving forward.  DD is healthy, happy; I plan to have a more knowledgeable doula and a better pain management plan next go-round.  And we'll do our best!

I'm hoping to learn lots from Spinning Babies, too.  Although sometimes it intimidates me because there is so much info there.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:33 PM

Planning VBAC #2 here. Had a c-section with DD after I pushed fully dilated for 7 hours. DS was a VBAC at 30 weeks followed by 3 1/2 weeks in the NiCU. Hoping for a normal, full term birth!

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

Old 08-07-2011, 03:09 PM

I'm planning a VBAC with a midwife at a hospital.  DS was a planned homebirth turned c-section after 50+ hours of intense labor at home.  It is hard because I felt like I did almost everything that I could the first time, but I'm feeling good about my VBAC chances.  This midwifery team focuses on VBACs and has over a 90% success rate.  Still, I'll be watching my sugars (DS was 9 lbs 3 oz, not huge, but I wouldn't mind a slightly smaller baby), going to the chiropractor, etc. 

Old 08-10-2011, 06:52 AM

Planning for a vbac for #2.  Dd was breech, and all went well.  I'm undecided between a hospital and a homebirth at this point.  Paying for a home birth seems pretty impossible, and we have great insurance so a hospital birth would be completely covered.  And the hospital my cnm would deliver at is in the process of becoming the first baby-friendly hospital in Michigan!   But I'm worried that if I go  beyond 41 weeks, they're going to insist on cutting me open.  So I don't really know what to do.  I guess I need to make some appointments and talk to some midwives!  My friend suggested that if I did go beyond 41 weeks, to schedule a c/s and call in sick the day of! ;) The whole thing makes me a little nervous.  Anyone have any input?  What are your thoughts about your own vbacs? 

Mary, mama to Adeline (5/12/09) luxlove.gifbrokenheart.gif July 2010 and brokenheart.gif Sept 2011, and Huxley (11/6/12) biggrinbounce.gif  and  stork-suprise.gif October 2014??
Old 08-10-2011, 10:10 AM

I'm anxious for info from my hcp/hospital (military). Depending on the responses i get at the 10 week appt, i may be switching to civilian/different hospital. Military hosp does support vbacs and has midwives, but i'm still leary...

Old 08-15-2011, 02:44 PM

loudmama, if you don't mind me asking, how was your abruption detected?  Scary stuff.

marmo, did your cnm say they would schedule a section for 41 weeks?  I'd talk to them about the possibility--they might be willing to continue NSTs if you do go that long.  Was your DD "late?"  I know each is different, but there's only so much we can control...if I were in the situation, and IF my NST was good, I would consider calling in sick for a section.  But there will be lots of time to work out the details!

So in choosing a care provider, what are your VBAC-specific concerns/questions?  I've scheduled an early appt to discuss a medication with the midwife, and I'm going to try to get as many answers as possible from her while I'm there.  For now I'm considering an OB/midwife group at the military hospital, but that's subject to change depending on their attitude during the first couple appointments.  I'm nervous about it, but the fact that the care and birth would be free is a big factor.

Thoughts (not all VBAC-specific):

1. Will there be a midwife available or are there times when only an OB is available for deliveries?  When would an OB be called in to "help"?

2. I was told CEFM is required for VBACs. Do you have a wireless system, or long enough leads for me to move around?  At what point (if any) would IFM be recommended?

3. Do you limit labor to a certain number of hours?  How about the pushing phase?  

4. Do you require internal checks at set intervals?

5. Will I have trouble declining eye antibiotics and the hep B vax for the baby?

6. Any other rules specific to VBAC moms?

7. What number of VBAC attempts are successful?

What else should I plan to ask?

Old 08-15-2011, 07:45 PM

I will be going for my second HBAC. Didnt have any issues last time, and hoping for no issues this time around. Im hoping that having the babies so close together will actually help :)

Hip Hippie Mamatreehugger.gif to Baylin & Evangélina hbac.gif and Wife to my sexy Frenchman Clément luxlove.gif living frugally green in the beautiful mountains of West Virginia. Expecting our newest French Fry July 2012!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***Rainbow.gif

Old 08-16-2011, 05:58 AM

We are also planning for a 2nd HBAC. My biggest fear is that I will be too confident. Last time I did everything I could to be healthy and strong and have the best labor possible. I still pushed for over 4 hours. I need to be careful not to get lazy this pregnancy. Right now I feel very lazy. I talked to my midwife last week, and she is on board with us even though we have moved to over an hour away from her. DH and I were discussing getting a certain doula, and the midwife really encouraged us to hire her, partly because she lives a lot closer to us than the midwife. I contacted her, and we are all set. Really, after the labor I had last time, I am sure everyone will get here in time, but you never know how things will go.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
Old 08-16-2011, 02:52 PM

I have this fantasy that this labor will be so different from my last that I won't know I'm in labor, and I'll UC this baby on the kitchen floor.  A girl can hope, right?  shy.gif

Old 08-16-2011, 07:48 PM

I'm hoping to VBAC as well. I had a great first pregnancy, up until the last month or so. Then my protein levels and blood pressure went way up. I was able to go into labor on my own and I started at a birthing center, but my body wouldn't dilate past a 6 after about 18 hours (my contractions lasted 45 sec-1 minute every 2-3 minutes the entire time) and I was transferred to a hospital. They let me labor there for about 6 hours longer before suggesting a c-section. So, after 25 hours of contractions every 2-3 minutes and stalled progress, I opted for the c-section. I have to add, though, that I hadn't given up on my body...everyone around me was more exhausted than I was and my SO just couldn't do it any longer. I know that sounds silly since I was the one in labor and giving birth, but I needed his support and he just couldn't give anymore. 

Additionally, the doctors started to worry about the pressure on my baby's head with the length of my labor. I'm convinced that my son wasn't even in my pelvis at all. His head was perfectly round when they pulled him out and he was completely calm. I'm not sure if my pelvis just couldn't do it, or what. He was a week late and only 6 lbs 9 ounces. I had been in a car accident about 10 years previously and I'm a little worried that I might have some scar tissue or something that won't allow a babe through my pelvis. Does anyone know of any way to figure that out? I'm really hoping that he was just unable to descend the entire way. He was tiny, but he had a pretty big head. He still measures in at 75% for head size and doesn't even hit the 5th percentile for weight!

Old 08-19-2011, 08:03 AM

marmo, did your cnm say they would schedule a section for 41 weeks?  I'd talk to them about the possibility--they might be willing to continue NSTs if you do go that long.  Was your DD "late?"  I know each is different, but there's only so much we can control...if I were in the situation, and IF my NST was good, I would consider calling in sick for a section.  But there will be lots of time to work out the details!

JustKate- I have to go back and really talk about this with her.  The said that at 41 weeks they 'recommend' a c/s.  I want to get a better handle on just what they mean by that.  I agree, I want to see what the nst says first.  Dd was born at 39 weeks, because we had a non-reactive nst.  Otherwise, I didn't look like she was ready to come anytime soon. ;)  I am willing to work with my careprovider, I just don't want a bait and switch.  My first prenatal is next Thursday, so I will get a better feel then. :)

Mary, mama to Adeline (5/12/09) luxlove.gifbrokenheart.gif July 2010 and brokenheart.gif Sept 2011, and Huxley (11/6/12) biggrinbounce.gif  and  stork-suprise.gif October 2014??
Old 08-19-2011, 08:19 AM

I was living in Michigan when I had my second, and I found that a lot of the homebirth midwives were willing to work with you on the cost.  It would be worth looking into it at any point.  I second your friend's advice to call in sick for a CS, although, I think it would be even better to find a care provider that didn't want to push you into something you weren't comfortable with.

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
Old 08-27-2011, 02:59 PM

bump.gif  Bump!

Got my medical record from the hospital yesterday, and it looks like I have a "good" suture.  I cried reading the nurses' notes.  It was a lot to process.  Official reason was "fully dilated, arrest of descent, fetal tachycardia."  I'll read through it a few more times before deciding what to copy for my new provider I guess. 

Old 08-31-2011, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else here had a successful VBAC before? I could really use a peptalk. Long story short, planned a homebirth with DD. Things were taking forever, but going fine until 8cms/+1ish when DD's horrible presentation caused a searing burning pain in my pelvic bones. I went from labor land to panicking. Basically, please tell me that's not normal?

A good friend of mine had her VBAC 3 hours ago and wound up with an epidural at transition, and she's tougher than me, and I'm scared I can't handle it.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:50 AM

moonbeam - I have a sister who ended up c/s due to presentation then went back to have a med free natural birth with no problems.

Don't worry about epidurals or anything else. All you can do is focus on - I want the baby to come out the way babies are supposed to come out, but above all I want a healthy baby. Plan for a natural pain free birth, but educate yourself on your pain relief options that way you know what you want if you decide you need it. I have had 2 VBACs. I went into them wanting no pain meds, but in the end getting them, which I'm okay with. Last time I got further into labor before asking for them. Hopefully this time around I'll make it through, but if I don't, that's okay too! Long as babe and I are healthy in the end.

hammer.gif Homeschooling the animal lover DD1 (8/06), chasing the free spirit DD2 (12/07), and tracking the ninja DD3 (5/09), angel1.gif 10/9, angel1.gif 9/11, angel1.gif 11/11 with the poor estrogen immersed DH (10/03) dizzy.gif

5****faint.gif****15****20***30***40

Old 09-01-2011, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Tibris, the problem with that is that I'm homebirthing, in Illinois, and the "cost" of transferring to the hospital is rising. A good friend of mine (the one mentioned previously) wound up with her healthy baby held hostage in the NICU after a homebirth transfer. Last fall another friend of mine homebirthed but tore, and when she went to the hospital for stitches they called DCFS on her. The next option is a hospital over an hour away, which is where we'll go barring serious emergency. With DD, when the pain went bad and I wanted an epidural, I couldn't deal with the natural labor anymore and the hospital refused to give me one since they don't staff anesthesiologists overnight. The 6 hours there were worse than anything I'd dealt with at home. And then they called DCFS on me for not putting the goop in my daughter's eyes.

Basically, an epidural really really isn't an option in my situation, not unless I want to give up the homebirth, which I'm not going to do for a lot of reasons. My short stint attempting to birth at the hospital really showed me how horrible an idea it is. I like things like moving around and having labor support. They hooked me up to the machine and literally let me scream for 6 hours without any help whatsoever. I won't go into details, but it was bad.

Yeah, clearly I have some birth trauma I need to process.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:18 AM

That sounds bad!  Our babes were both born the same month and it sounds like fairly similar experiences.  I was also a homebirth transfer after 48 hours of labor due to position.  The difference is that our hospital here in the DC area took excellent care of me, even though I was a transfer in the middle of the night.  We've decided to go with a hospital midwifery practice this time, as they specialize in VBACs and I feel like it's the right choice for this pregnancy for a variety of reasons - though I'm still hoping for a homebirth for a later baby!

It's pretty hard to know that your transfer options are so bad.  Still, I think every woman I know in the past couple of years who has attempted a VBAC has managed it med-free, many of those at home.  Maybe you can look into some of the other pain management options to help you feel confident?  I used a TENS machine last time for back labor that was very effective. Can your midwife do sterile water papules?  If you're going to have a doula, could you find one who knows acupressure?

It's hard for me to believe in the power of (changing) positioning/spinning babies since I did all of that last time and still had a posterior baby.  But, still, I'm planning to go to the chiropractor more regularly this time and hope that that will help with any weird pelvic issues.  I'm also very closely watching my diet in hopes of having a slightly smaller baby who might be able to turn better.

In the end, I think we just have to do everything we can and try to reclaim that belief in the power of our bodies to birth our babies. :)

Old 09-01-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

I had SPD and I think it contributed to her horrible malpresentation (OP asynclitic brow presentation). My midwife was able to startle her back center which did AMAZING things for the pain. Seriously, I went from convinced I was dying (at 2-3cms!) to confident I could do this and ready to go in approximately 30 seconds. It was better than any drug could ever be. Unfortunately that didn't fix the brow presentation or OP, so.....

My biggest fear this time around is another bad presentation. Why yes I'm obsessing over spinning babies techniques (as I type this with perfect posture :))

Old 09-01-2011, 11:29 AM

Do you have any friends/family that is near a friendly hospital? Maybe they'd let you birth there, or is it really about being at home for you? :) I said I'd stick around home as long as possible this last time and if she happened to pop out then so be it. I've now had three babies with the cord wrapped around their neck and in one case multiple times. I don't think i'm going to go with homebirth, but then again I've found a hospital I like that lets me do what I want to do :p I hope you can find a more cooperative back up plan!

hammer.gif Homeschooling the animal lover DD1 (8/06), chasing the free spirit DD2 (12/07), and tracking the ninja DD3 (5/09), angel1.gif 10/9, angel1.gif 9/11, angel1.gif 11/11 with the poor estrogen immersed DH (10/03) dizzy.gif

5****faint.gif****15****20***30***40

Old 09-01-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azohri View Post

It's hard for me to believe in the power of (changing) positioning/spinning babies since I did all of that last time and still had a posterior baby.  But, still, I'm planning to go to the chiropractor more regularly this time and hope that that will help with any weird pelvic issues.  I'm also very closely watching my diet in hopes of having a slightly smaller baby who might be able to turn better.

In the end, I think we just have to do everything we can and try to reclaim that belief in the power of our bodies to birth our babies. :)

I hear ya.  DD was LOP (just learned from my med records that I got) and double wrapped in her cord, and I had a uterine synechiae up near her legs....it just wasn't going to happen.  I wasn't that in to spinning babies last pg, but I really hope that some of it will help, although I fear that the women in my family just have posterior babies.  My mother had 2, both of us with 20+ hour labors, big epsiotomies, and instrument extractions. TBH, I'm not sure which would be worse--the episiotomy (can't spell it today for some reason!) and instrument extraction or the section.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post

I had SPD and I think it contributed to her horrible malpresentation (OP asynclitic brow presentation). My midwife was able to startle her back center which did AMAZING things for the pain. Seriously, I went from convinced I was dying (at 2-3cms!) to confident I could do this and ready to go in approximately 30 seconds. It was better than any drug could ever be. Unfortunately that didn't fix the brow presentation or OP, so.....

My biggest fear this time around is another bad presentation. Why yes I'm obsessing over spinning babies techniques (as I type this with perfect posture :))

Are there any spinning babies classes that we could take?  I can't get in to the website at this point, but I think it would be sort of fun to go have someone teach me these things--specifically, what order to do them in, and which are good for OP babies....  What did your midwife use to move your DD?  I've heard of like a buzzer type thing....

Old 09-01-2011, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

She used the air pump for the pool to make a loud noise right by DD's head. It startled her, she was center, and I was able to tolerate labor (with lots of swearing because I'm like that) until she got low enough that her brow presentation moved my bones in really bad ways. Also the OP meant back labor which meant I had no break between contractions. It was waves of less pain and more pain. And I dealt with it!

Old 09-01-2011, 12:15 PM

Wow.  I felt like the back labor was a cruel trick.  I never felt a "real" contraction once.  Just that constant unending back pain.  You know with your first, you read all about what contrax "should" feel like, timing them, etc., and I had none of that.  I think the shock of that and not knowing how to cope with it really contributed to my acceptance of the interventions.  I had no idea what to do with THAT type of pain.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:06 PM

As a doula, I've seen mamas VBAC with & w/o pain meds. If birthing in a hospital, just try & go as long as you can w/o in order to allow for mobility.

And for whether spinning babies is helpful or not... I think it can be. I think OFP can be helpful & so can chiropractic. But I think that some babies are just persistently posterior. It could be the shape of your uterus, your pelvis, a short cord, etc. It's hard to know. And babies can birth vaginally when posterior, but labor can be longer & harder.

And for someone who asked awhile back on how I knew I was abrupting, I started bleeding at 28 weeks. Had DS at 30 weeks. Just sent him to kindergarten today!

L

Old 09-05-2011, 01:05 AM

I honestly believe that you should go into each labour as it's own experience, as hard as that may be.  Understanding what happened in previous labours is important so that you can do things to prevent it from happening again, but, don't focus too much on the 'what ifs'.  You would be better off focusing on the positive things that are going to happen in the next labour.  I have had one successful VBAC, although it was certainly not the birth I wanted or imagined, so this time I am more concerned with making things different from that experience, not the cesarean. Could we call it a NBAVBAC (Normal birth after vaginal birth after cesarean?!)

I have had to work through a lot of my emotions around my second birth.  There are "birth story" classes you can take (Birthing from Within), and I've even talked with a psychologist friend who specializes in women's labour experiences.  It was incredibly interesting and very healing.  There are yoga classes around me that specifically focus on baby position and birthing positions.  I am going to register for one soon.  I am also going to talk to the woman who taught my birth class the first time around and see if she will tailor make a class for me.  I'm not sure I could sit through a birth class with a bunch of first time moms, but I feel it would be valuable for me and my husband to be reminded of some of those things.  Luckily I have two friends due with their 4th and 5th babies who will take it with me, so I won't be alone in a class.

I wish I had the assurance that everything would go perfectly, but all I can do is plan for it and roll with the punches if things work out differently.  My number one rule for this labour is that I am the only one allowed to suggest or agree to going to the hospital.  Everyone else is only allowed to tell me that I am doing wonderful and help me stay home.  I do not need to be told that "maybe I should consider pain relief options" or that "yes, maybe it's time to go to the hospital and talk about options."   As a doula I have seen that so many times, and it happened in my last birth, and while I know that the midwives are just trying to make the birth a positive experience for the mother, for me I feel that I need tough love and total honesty.  In the end I will be the one to decide if the transfer was necessary, regardless of the midwives position, so I need to be the one to make the decision in the first place (unless of course there is a real medical emergency, in which case of course I want the midwives to get me there.) 

Okay, so maybe I haven't completely dealt with all my emotions, but hopefully it will make me stronger in this labour!

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
Old 09-05-2011, 06:32 PM

jennyvangy,

I just want a NBAVBAC too! Even though DS was a VBAC, he was 10 weeks early, a VERY fast birth & he spent 3 1/2 weeks in the NICU. A nice, vaginal, low key birth would be so nice. One in which I get to put baby to breast right away, skin to skin.....

And you make awesome points too. Learn what you can from past births & apply those as much as you can to future births. But I think we all need to be flexible. I don't think you need to compromise your birth goals, but be open to the idea that birth does not unfold as we plan. Have a birth team that will support your goals, but will support changes too. One of the biggest things I took from my c-section was that I felt in charge for the most part. It didn't go at all as planned, & in hind sight, there are things that I think the midwife missed, but I felt we had for the most part control of the situation.

What I have learned through my births & the births I have attended as a doula is: You need to feel safe, supported, & cared for, whatever than means to you. You deserve to make your own decisions about what is going on, with GOOD, ACCURATE information. You deserve to make any decisions without someone breathing down your neck. It is ok if things don't go as you planned, & if you felt like those changes were made with informed consent, in an environment that you felt safe, supported, & cared for & with adequate time to make any decisions, you usually feel better about what happened. Not that there still can't be regret or even mental or physical trauma, but I think it can make a big difference.

My birth plan will be simple. It will mostly say: I BELIEVE IN INFORMED CONSENT. Support that I desire a natural birth without pain meds. If something comes up along the way, talk to me about it. Give me the info I desire to make an informed decision. Unless the baby is in imminent danger, don't rush my decisions. I am not an adversary, just an informed mama who believes that I can make decisions WITH my care providers that will be good for everyone.

I haven't thought it all out yet, but that's what I got for now. I'm assembling what I think is a good birth team, who support my goals but will work well with any bumps along the way. I also have a great hubby who I have been with over 18 years, & he is a great support person & an awesome asshole to anyone if needed. smile.gif

L

Old 11-21-2011, 06:16 AM

Hey ladies, I'm sort of stressing about my VBAC all of a sudden.  For starters, I feel like babe is already in a bad position, just like DD was (ROP or ROA), and spinning babies just gives me too much information, almost.  Ugh.

But first thing first, I'm having my anatomy scan tomorrow and god willing it will be my last u/s for this pg.  Any suggestion for things to ask/have the tech look for?  I'm pretty sure my placenta is high and posterior, because I've felt movement all along.  Is there anything else to check?  Cord insertion? Any thoughts?

Old 11-21-2011, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Kate, it's impossible for the baby to be in a bad position at this point. In the 2nd trimester they tend to hang out transverse, which is totally normal for now, but the worst possible position for birth. So don't worry about it, the "bad position" is a total non-issue. Also, ROA is the ideal birth position. I've spent hours going through spinning babies in the past 2 years after DD's birth (OP brow presentation) and the site is awful to navigate. If you have any questions I'm more than happy to answer them.

At this point cord insertion is unlikely to be clear; cord issues are hard to see on the ultrasound at all. You want to look for general health and placenta location. And I a high posterior placenta is pretty much ideal for a VBAC. I have one, and I'm THRILLED.

User Tag List