Prenatals - What are you taking? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 08-14-2011, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So speaking of tea--last pg I drank lots of RRL tea, starting about midway through my pg.  Is it alright to drink it throughout the entire pregnancy, or is there a reason to wait until a little later? 

#32 of 48 Old 08-14-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post

So speaking of tea--last pg I drank lots of RRL tea, starting about midway through my pg.  Is it alright to drink it throughout the entire pregnancy, or is there a reason to wait until a little later? 

Hi Kate, RRL is safe to drink in the first trimester and can help prevent miscarriage.  Other sources will say different based on the over cautious route that's taken by the FDA where no herbs and supplements are considered safe or beneficial, pregnant or not.  I'm not an expert but that's what I've taken from my research.  There is a little information here http://currantsandspice.fateback.com/tonics.html and lots more on the web :)

Tanya treehugger.gif DH-Brian, DD Adri (8), DD Izzy (7), DS Ollie angel.gif (1/5/11 @ 17 weeks) and our rainbow1284.gif baby due April 12th, 2012.

Of all the lessons I did not learn as a child, or even as an adult; I learn through being, mother to my children. Through love and through pain, we are delivered and blessed!

#33 of 48 Old 08-14-2011, 03:30 PM

I'm taking boring ole trader joe's prenatals (sorry Joe). I like chia seeds for omega, and hemp seed powder is my fav pregnancy supplement.

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#34 of 48 Old 08-15-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:

If I remember right, my midwife didn't want me to drink it until second trimester and if I got contractions from it to stop drinking it.  But I am not 100% sure.  I won't be drinking it until second trimester because I hate the taste of it. haha!

#35 of 48 Old 08-17-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheartedmom View Post

Is anyone taking a separate dha supplement? I've been taking krill oil but I was just reading the label and it only has 50mg of dha. That seems low? Anyone else?

I'm taking nordic naturals DHA. They make a prenatal (lemon) and a regular (strawberry) and I took them the duration of my last pg. They have 450mg DHA and 90mg EPA and no fish burps!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenproof View Post

i may have to jump over to the target gummies - i have been taking the rainbow light one a day but they make me gag every time.  they are huge and not coated and the smell makes me heave.  i hate them.  they don't really bother my stomach though.

i also take the nordic naturals DHA fish oil (for pregnancy) daily.  the fish burps arent too terrible.

I took the 1 pill a day Rainbow Light's during my last pg - I remember how difficult they were to swallow so I went with their "petite" version this time. Easier to swallow - but I have to take 3!!! I know what you mean about that taste.... but they don't tend to bother my stomach either.

Having tried both the lemon and the strawberry DHA from NN - I definitely get less burps with the Strawberry version... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday Girl View Post

no splurge, they cost $7.00.

I also added floradix iron and herbs

gonna get started with my floradix soon! Gosh that stuff worked great for keeping my energy up, and I didn't really mind the taste.

Quote:

I remember reading to wait until the end of your 2nd trimester..... but I loved the stuff and if anyone else knows more about it I'd love to make a big pitcher of it iced and keep it in the fridge to drink.... I'm getting sick of seltzer!!!

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

#36 of 48 Old 08-17-2011, 12:49 PM

I was told RRL can cause contractions sometimes by my doula last pregnancy. That could be why they say not to use it. As to prenatals, I am taking Rainbow Light Complete. It's 6 pills 2x a day and they smell terrible but they don't make me feel sick. I did notice that they add RRL and ginger so maybe that helps. For DHA, I take Nordic Naturals DHA prenatal (I was really excited when I found these because they are all natural and don't use farm fish!)

Wife to Geof reading.gif (4/10), Mom to Connorbabyf.gif(7/14/10) and Cayleigh babygirl.gif (4/20/12). Living with Factor V Leiden (7/12).

#37 of 48 Old 08-18-2011, 08:37 AM

Is anyone else supplementing with B6 for sickness? I don't remember feeling icky at all last time, but I took the B6 religiously anyway. I have just been feeling AWFUL this time around, so I started back on the B6 today. If you are taking it, what's the dosage? (I hope it works, I can't keep the pregnancy a secret if I stagger around looking seasick all the time!)

#38 of 48 Old 08-18-2011, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am!  I am taking 50mg two times a day for a total of 100mg plus my prenatal which has 15mg.  I have seen recommendations from 50mg-200mg.  I would start out with 25-50 and see if it helps, I am one of those why take more than you need people :)  It has been taking the edge off so far, I was throwing up at 12 dpo with DS and so far just gagging at 6wks 2D for this one.  Hope this helps.

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#39 of 48 Old 08-24-2011, 08:23 AM

I have been taking a coop brand prenatal vit and cod liver oil, and only now did I realize that I am getting too much vit A.  The prenatal has 8,000 iu and the cod liver as 2,500 iu.  I have seen that this is higher than what is recommended for pregnant women, because too much can cause birth defects.  Anyone have any wisdom to share?  I also have stopped taking them of course.

Happy Wifey to DH tiphat.gifand loving Momma to DS1 superhero.gif 4yrs and DS2  babyboy.gif 6 months

#40 of 48 Old 08-24-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson View Post

I have been taking a coop brand prenatal vit and cod liver oil, and only now did I realize that I am getting too much vit A.  The prenatal has 8,000 iu and the cod liver as 2,500 iu.  I have seen that this is higher than what is recommended for pregnant women, because too much can cause birth defects.  Anyone have any wisdom to share?  I also have stopped taking them of course.

My understanding is that Vit A as beta carotine is okay-- it's the synthetic form that's a problem.  I probably wouldn't risk it to take both, but your prenatal label should state how much is in beta carotine form-- that might ease your mind a bit.

I had been taking Pregnancy Plus Prenatals because they tested very low for lead and did well in absorption studies.  Since ms kicked in, my dr suggested I switch to only Folic Acid in case the iron was adding to my tummy troubles.  When the sickness fades, I intend to go back to the prenatals.

ETA: also added 25 mg B6 twice a day for ms.

#41 of 48 Old 08-25-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:

I was drinking 1 cup of a RRL/nettle infusion daily from TTC to about week 4 of this pg.  But I was having increasingly loose stools, pretty much to the point of diarrhea when I stopped.  There's a lot of magnesium and other vitamins in there so who knows what I was sensitive to.  My acupuncturist said that there is an idea in Chinese Medicine to avoid herbs while pregnant if at all possible and also that the baby could 'go' with the 'flow' of diarrhea, etc.  Since then, I've read a recommendation to start drinking the 'pregnancy tea' around week ?16 or so through the remainder of the pg, so that's what I plan to do.  I was a little wigged out by the loose stools, which is not at all normal for me.

Unschooling mama alongside DH (05/01) to DD (5/05).  Expecting #2 spring 2012!

#42 of 48 Old 08-25-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMtnMama View Post

Is anyone else supplementing with B6 for sickness? I don't remember feeling icky at all last time, but I took the B6 religiously anyway. I have just been feeling AWFUL this time around, so I started back on the B6 today. If you are taking it, what's the dosage? (I hope it works, I can't keep the pregnancy a secret if I stagger around looking seasick all the time!)

I am!  I'm taking 100 mg of B6 first thing in the morning, with a bite of food, before I even get out of bed.  It helped SO much once the nausea started (about 2.5 weeks ago) but the nausea is getting slightly worse anyway.  Still, I've only puked once and compared to last pg without B6, no question I feel like it's helping.  My midwife also said she would recommend B6 injections (intramuscular) if things got really bad and I don't know the dose on those but I have a feeling it's WAY higher than 100 mg at a time.

I tried splitting the 100 mg pill in half and taking 50 mg in morning and 50 mg in afternoon but it didn't seem to work as well.  I think taking the edge off the morning stuff so I can get some food in is the best thing for me.

#43 of 48 Old 08-25-2011, 02:13 PM

I take Super Nutrition One a Day.  That's the only good brand I found that is truly allergy free (celiac, allergic to soy, dairy, peanuts and eggwhites).  Most of the brands I've tried have the Vitamin E derived from soy so I get migraines from that.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#44 of 48 Old 08-26-2011, 08:12 AM

Just wondering if anyone has a fish oil that they like that doesnt give them fish burps? Ive tried several kinds over the years, including enteric coated, but they all give the dreaded fish burp. Ugh! Ive also read that the fish burp means the oil is rancid so i definitely dont want that!

heartbeat.gif

#45 of 48 Old 08-27-2011, 06:58 PM

I don't know about fish oils being rancid, but I always find there's a fishy aftertaste a couple of hours later.  My solution has been to take the pills at night, right before bed, and then I don't notice them at all.  We usually only take cod liver oil over the winter, and I was told to switch to fish oil vs liver oil for the pregnancy, but I haven't really started with any of it - we'll see.  

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#46 of 48 Old 08-28-2011, 12:55 PM

I'm taking krill oil from vital choice, while not strictly the same as fish oil, I still feel covered by it. It's advertised to have 'less repeat' (translation, fish burps) and I have found that to be true. I have zero 'repeat' whatsoever. The smell is bad (like krill!) right out of the bottle but I just hold my nose and i'm fine. My doctor called it the 'cadillac' of fish oil ($$) but I thought it worth the splurge during pg.

#47 of 48 Old 08-28-2011, 01:01 PM

Thorne Prenatal are soy free (and everything else too it seems). You can read the list of items it's free of on their product info's warning page. Don't know how it compares, price-wise with the one you mentioned but i've found the Thorne products i've used to be excellent.

#48 of 48 Old 08-30-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasa View Post

Thorne Prenatal are soy free (and everything else too it seems). You can read the list of items it's free of on their product info's warning page. Don't know how it compares, price-wise with the one you mentioned but i've found the Thorne products i've used to be excellent.

Not all vitamins are necissarily free on the soy bit.  Or were you referring to the Thorne products in general?  Unless they say specifically they are soy free, the vitamin E is often derived from soy, it is often labeled as Tocopheral.  I'm really allergic to soy and learned this the hard way.  This is especially true with cereal, I had to give up my favorite breakfast cereal because of this.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page