Prenatals - What are you taking? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-07-2011, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm trying to decide which prenatals I want to order. 

I've been looking at the Rainbow Light Organic ones. 
http://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-Light-Prenatal-Multivitamin-120-Count/dp/B0033ZDGQY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312722672&sr=8-1

Anyone have any suggestions? 

Hillary (22) belly.gif Justin (25) stillheart.gif

We're expecting our first precious sprout in April 2012 joy.gif And planning a homebirth! homebirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 08:36 AM

I'm taking the GNC prenatals without iron, and only one a day. Unfortunately I'm apparently very sensitive to vitamin supplements. 3 weeks of one prenatal with iron a day makes me so dizzy I can't stand. One b-complex a day in a month gives me a niacin flush and my skin starts burning all the time. This is my compromise between needing a nutritional boost (I get horrible morning sickness) without making myself even sicker.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
Old 08-07-2011, 10:25 AM

Vitamin Code Raw Prenatal - love these! I have taken them for years.
Mercola krill oil - I was taking the womens one, but turns out you're not supposed to take epo during early pg, so I just switched to the normal one.

I'm also taking an algae antioxidant supplement , vitamin d3 and the rainbow lite probiotic (love those too!). :-)

If I can tolerate it, I'll add in a calcium magnesium supplement soon because my babies tend to have enamel defects (teeth) And I don't get enough calcium in my diet.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:52 AM

I really like Thorne vitamins recently and I'm trying to use up my women's multi before (perhaps) shifting to their prenatal.  Their prenatal is more bare-bones so I'm going to see if my midwife thinks it's OK to keep taking the women's multi as long as I can tolerate it.  I take it at dinner after I've eaten to make sure I have a full stomach.  Last pg I had to take whatever prenatal it was at bedtime with a small snack or I'd puke it up (and even then it didn't always stay down).  I am still taking Krill oil from Vital Choice and extra Vitamin D from Thorne as well.  I also take Culturelle probiotic and a daily Digestive Enzyme (Digest Gold) because of all of my food intolerances.  Ideally, I'm striving to get my nutrients from food but I've already lost most of my appetite, so that's getting harder.

Unschooling mama alongside DH (05/01) to DD (5/05).  Expecting #2 spring 2012!

Old 08-07-2011, 11:01 AM

I have a gastric band so I am limited to liquid, chewable or gummy vitamins.  I have taken two flintstones a day prior to pregnancy.  Now I have switched to these gummy prenatals - they actually taste good and have not had any ill effects.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=gummy+prenatal+vitamins&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16178676036762106482&sa=X&ei=_sM-TvDUL8XogQeh2Oz3Bw&ved=0CEYQ8wIwAA

With my last pregnancy I took some sort of nasty liquid vitamins that I mixed with OJ.  They were so nasty! 

Trying to make my grand scheme a reality!

Old 08-07-2011, 04:01 PM

I'm taking the New Chapter Organics.  They're supposed to be 3x a day, but I usually only take them twice, which is fine with me.  My diet is very good so I'm not worried about it.  I took the Rainbow Light once a day last time, and they were huge!  Also, they had more lead in them than some others.  There was a whole scare about lead in prenatals I remember, so that's worth looking into: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/962215/lead-in-prenatal-vitamins-please-read

Some mamas said it was very tiny amounts, but since I (and my midwife) think of vitamins as not really necessary if you are eating a good diet, I want to be sure they certainly aren't doing any harm.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:14 PM

I'm taking Priority One Prenatals.  They are high potency, and most importantly, capsules.  I can not swallow a tablet for anything.  Unfortunately, it's a total of 6/day (2, 3x a day).  I can take them even on an empty stomach though and they don't make me sick, so I'm stickin' with 'em! 

I'm also trying to remember to take my Nordic Naturals Fish Oil and probiotics. 

Old 08-07-2011, 11:30 PM

Hooplehead, I'm taking those, too--the VitaFusion PreNatals. Last pregnancy, I really struggled with the vitamins--constipation, nausea, and vomiting from them. No thanks! These ones are much nicer. I'm making sure to eat some extra greens and beans with my meals, though, to compensate for the vitamins' lack of iron. And I'm taking calcium supplements in the form of Tums--heartburn relief and nutrition, all in one!

Old 08-07-2011, 11:56 PM

I'm taking the Rainbow Light prenatals and a fish oil with extra dha. Took them with my last pregnancy and didn't have any problems.

Erin , loving wife to Dave, mom to 3cat.gif, angel.gifangel.gifDec. '06, angel.gifOct. '08, DD Reagan Oct. 3, 2009

and DS Jack April 4,2012

Old 08-08-2011, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azohri View Post

I'm taking the New Chapter Organics.  They're supposed to be 3x a day, but I usually only take them twice, which is fine with me.  My diet is very good so I'm not worried about it.  I took the Rainbow Light once a day last time, and they were huge!  Also, they had more lead in them than some others.  There was a whole scare about lead in prenatals I remember, so that's worth looking into: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/962215/lead-in-prenatal-vitamins-please-read

Some mamas said it was very tiny amounts, but since I (and my midwife) think of vitamins as not really necessary if you are eating a good diet, I want to be sure they certainly aren't doing any harm.

I'm also taking New Chapter Perfect Prenatal (just started today), but I'm only taking one capsule per day since I am already eating healthy.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:01 AM

I'm taking the rainbow lights this pg. They don't make me sick like 'script ones, and there's no yucky tasting burps (yet). I take ann additional folic acid supp b/c i've hot a fam history of neural tube defects. I'll continue that thru the 1st Tri.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:48 AM

I'm taking Rainbow complete as recommended by a friend, krill oil, and vitamin D. It's 9 pills a day, which is ridiculous, but it seems that I tolerate them. Makes for quite neon pee though.

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
Old 08-08-2011, 07:15 AM

I'm taking a women's multivitamin from the co-op 2-3x daily (supposed to be 3x a day), 8000 IU of vitamin D drops because I had VERY low vitamin D levels when tested in the spring, cal-mag before bed to help me sleep & because I can't eat dairy. As long as it works, I'll keep doing this. If my iron gets low, I'll add a liquid iron supplement. I eat a pretty balanced diet most days!

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

Old 08-08-2011, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am doing rainbow light prenatals and some vitamin B6. I started it because I thought I had a short LP but turned out it was implantation spotting :)  Lovely side effect has been that I havent been sick like I was with DS.  Doing 100 mg total per day of B6, anyone have experience with the recommended amount etc?

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:03 PM

Just finished up New Chapter Organics and bought Rainbow Light Organics.  I don't take the full dose this pregnancy because I focus on eating healthy and I tend to worry about too much of a good thing turning bad. 

Tanya treehugger.gif DH-Brian, DD Adri (8), DD Izzy (7), DS Ollie angel.gif (1/5/11 @ 17 weeks) and our rainbow1284.gif baby due April 12th, 2012.

Of all the lessons I did not learn as a child, or even as an adult; I learn through being, mother to my children. Through love and through pain, we are delivered and blessed!

Old 08-09-2011, 03:17 AM

I'm taking Rainbow Light One and 25mg vitamin B-6. I had 2 losses with low progesterone and I'm hoping it will help.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:56 AM

I'm taking target brand gummi prenatal vitamins. I can't swallow pills without puking or almost puking and they don't sell my buried treasure liquid prenatals anymore

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

I decided on the New Chapter Organics after scoping out our local Vitamin Shoppe. They're smaller than my multis I was taking so I'm happy about that! We'll see how they work! 

We're expecting our first precious sprout in April 2012 joy.gif And planning a homebirth! homebirth.jpg

Old 08-10-2011, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I'm taking Maternal Symmetery prenatals, which is what I took last time and my midwife recommends.  I've had no problems and take them when I remember ;) http://www.amazon.com/Vitanica-Maternal-Symmetery-180-Capsules/dp/B000FL44V0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1313016740&sr=8-3

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
Old 08-10-2011, 08:28 PM

I was just taking Kroger brand prenatal vitamins, but oooohhhhh Target makes GUMMY prenatals!!!!16 Might have to splurge a little LOL.

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:15 PM

Is anyone taking a separate dha supplement? I've been taking krill oil but I was just reading the label and it only has 50mg of dha. That seems low? Anyone else?

Old 08-11-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightheartedmom View Post

Is anyone taking a separate dha supplement? I've been taking krill oil but I was just reading the label and it only has 50mg of dha. That seems low? Anyone else?

50mg is a pretty miniscule amount :(  You're probably eating more than that in a day unless you only consume processed foods.  I incorporate 2500-5000mg/2.5-5g a day into my diet through; ground flax seed, hemp seed or oil, walnuts, sunflower nuts, almonds, cashews, omega-3 enriched cereal or peanut butter, olive oil, fresh basil and dried oregano, wild salmon, pollock, cod or tuna, beans and cauliflower.  Some yogurts add omega 3's in the form of fish oils.  I prefer to stay away from the fish oils personally because I don't support farmed fish and am leery of the toxins.

Tanya treehugger.gif DH-Brian, DD Adri (8), DD Izzy (7), DS Ollie angel.gif (1/5/11 @ 17 weeks) and our rainbow1284.gif baby due April 12th, 2012.

Of all the lessons I did not learn as a child, or even as an adult; I learn through being, mother to my children. Through love and through pain, we are delivered and blessed!

Old 08-11-2011, 04:41 PM

Eggs also have omega 3...the better quality the more omegas :)

Old 08-11-2011, 05:22 PM

i may have to jump over to the target gummies - i have been taking the rainbow light one a day but they make me gag every time.  they are huge and not coated and the smell makes me heave.  i hate them.  they don't really bother my stomach though.

i also take the nordic naturals DHA fish oil (for pregnancy) daily.  the fish burps arent too terrible.

32 - son born 9/21/09
Old 08-11-2011, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone taken the New Chapter Wholemega? Like? Dislike? Good thing to take while pregnant? I don't meet with my midwife for a couple weeks so I'm hesitant to start these on top of my prenatal. 

http://www.amazon.com/New-Chapter-Wholemega-1000mg-Softgels/dp/B002FU6I9K/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Old 08-12-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzusplace View Post

I was just taking Kroger brand prenatal vitamins, but oooohhhhh Target makes GUMMY prenatals!!!!16 Might have to splurge a little LOL.

no splurge, they cost $7.00.

I also added floradix iron and herbs

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:08 PM

I have some friends who do tea instead of pills.  I plan on ordering the herbs needed when I get some money.

here is what they have to say:

For those who enjoy recipes, here's one you might like. Just mix it all together and store in a big jar (I use a cookie jar). Then when you want some, put 2 Tbsp in a quart-size mason jar of hot water and let steep overnight. In the morning, strain out the herbs and enjoy your tea either full strength or diluted, whichever you prefer.

1 c alfalfa
1 c nettles
1 c red raspberry leaf
1/4 c red clover blossoms
1/4 c oatstraw
1/4 c lemon balm
1/4 c peppermint or spearmint (mainly for taste - omit if you hate mint)
1 Tbsp green stevia powder (for antioxidents and sweetness - add more if desired)

and the other friend

Here is the preggo tea I lived on while pregnant. I did NOT need to take prenatals and when I had my labwork done, the techs were shocked at my levels. They were superb, and I'd never once taken a prenatal vitamin my whole pregnancy. I credit this and other teas I took to help me have a super successful HBAC.

Ingredients:
raspberry
nettle
oatstraw

alfalfa
Dandelion (very bitter)
Peppermint or spearmint
chamomile is contraindicated in the first trimester, but ok after that (adds flavor and sweetness)

Boil a pot of water. Throw in herbs and turn off heat. COVER and let sit overnight. In the morning, strain and put into the fridge. You can heat it up or drink it cold. Good with honey and lemon. Drink at least 1 liter per day, preferably 2 liters.

The quantities you use are up to you. My DH made this for me every day. He takes a large pinch of raspberry, nettle, and Chamomile. A smaller pinch of nettle, oatstraw, and mint. A very small pinch of Dandelion, which is very bitter HOWEVER this root has the vitamin K you need for birth.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:49 PM

Thank you, Courtney!  I'm a tea lover.  I try to have at least 1 cup a day of the Traditional Medicinals Pregnancy Tea and/or red raspberry leaf tea that I picked from the garden.  Sometimes with a bit of honey, sometimes with a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses for extra iron.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:00 AM

I just got in my New Chapter Perfect Prenatals.  Before that I was just taking what was left of my Garden of Life RAW for Women.  I eat a pretty good WAP diet, so I'm not too worried about the vitamins but want to have a little extra just for my piece of mind.  I eat pastured eggs daily and drink nettles infusions and bone broth daily.  Oh and I'm *TRYING* to get myself to take Green Pasture's Fermented Cod Liver Oil, this would be a hard task when not pregnant.  Especially hard when everything makes me want to gag.

Mama to my 2 sweet baby chicks! DD1 is 3 and DD2 born April '12.
They make me joy.gif
Old 08-13-2011, 10:23 PM

I just found out today and we were not TTC but will probably take the same thing as with my past pregnancies, Standard Process Catalyn with the addition of Folic Acid.

User Tag List