Can we talk bras? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-07-2011, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am only 4w3d but already my bras are feeling tight. Is that even possible??? Actually, they started feeling tight and uncomfortable about 1 week after ovulation. It was the first clue I was pregnant. So I am going to need a new bra. But what should I get? I am barely pregnant, and I know they are going to keep growing. But I am already a 38H dizzy.gif So bras are NOT going to be cheap and I want whatever I get to be able to last at least a bit. Is it ridiculous to get a nursing/maternity bra now? Should I just get a larger regular bra? I don't even know if they make sports bras with enough support in my size, but I can't imagine wearing underwire much longer.

Anyone else already having this problem, or had previous pregnancies and have advice for me?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OK, this totally happened to me last time (first pregnancy).  I couldn't believe it either--my ribcage just expanded SO early, nothing felt comfortable.  I was around 34D then and I think I ended up in 38DD or maybe even 40DD by end of pg (back down to 34DD now but with WAY extended BF I never fully got back to normal).  I had to ditch underwire completely and went to the maternity stores and got their maternity bras (which weren't the same thing as nursing bras--basically, very soft basic bras--not very attractive but they weren't horribly expensive either, at least at the 'cheapest' of the retail maternity lines).  Since there even is such a thing as 'maternity' bra, I imagine we're not the only ones with this issue, LOL!  It's not the best support but I really didn't care, I just couldn't take feeling constricted.  You could check the resale shops in your area for maternity clothes for really cheap options.  I would just get 2-3 in whatever currently feels comfortable and that will probably do you for a while.  Don't worry about nursing bras yet though if you find something cheap/comfortable and it IS a nursing bra, just use it--doesn't affect it's 'non-nursing' performance but IMO the nursing bras are usually more expensive.  

Unschooling mama alongside DH (05/01) to DD (5/05).  Expecting #2 spring 2012!

Old 08-07-2011, 10:48 AM

Oh--another thing I just thought of--you could try buying a back-extender for your bra (also sold at the maternity stores)--it basically adds more clips...won't help with underwire discomfort per se, but will increase size of your current bras a while longer until your cup size actually increases.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I have one bra that's ok, because I removed the underwire from it (it broke), but nothing else fits. I never thought to try resale stores, I am just used to only being able to buy bras from ridiculously overpriced boutiques as regular stores don't go above DD, and plus size stores usually don't have smaller band sizes (I am usually 36, but measuring 38 now). But I will try to find something, I can't forgo bras. I need the support!

Old 08-07-2011, 12:55 PM

Bra extenders is what got me through my first 2 pregnancies. We'll see with this one! It does make me wish I had saved some of my bras that I got rid of in the last year. I've lost 50 lbs, & they might have come in handy!

And my boobs just hurt being there. Ugh.

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

Old 08-07-2011, 04:45 PM

I am so not looking forward to bigger boobs. I'm only 5'1 and I've needed to move up from a DD for about a year now and just haven't because I was in denial. Bra companies assume if your cup size is a DD there's no way you should be a 34 around. And yet, I am. So far I'm still just as uncomfortable in my current bras as I was before but I have a feeling I'm going to need to search for other options very soon... 

Hillary (22) belly.gif Justin (25) stillheart.gif

We're expecting our first precious sprout in April 2012 joy.gif And planning a homebirth! homebirth.jpg

Old 08-07-2011, 05:35 PM

I'm a 32F when not pregnant, and a 34G postpartum. :)  So don't feel too bad about a DD.  The good news for those of us who are busty is that for me at least, my breasts seem smaller now after two years of nursing than prebaby. I'm kind of hoping they get smaller after each baby, while still retaining at least a little bit of perk!

For the OP, I would just go ahead and get a nursing bra now.  Chances are your breasts will change in sizes over the course of your nursing.  So even if the bra you buy now for pregnancy is a bit small for immediate post partum, it could well fit perfectly after things calm down a bit.  I prefer no underwire and like the Anita nursing bras for busty sizes.  The bravado ones and others that have a size range didn't work for me at all.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:26 PM

I am 5w,3d and already am a little bigger, both in cupsize and around.  I'm also already veiny. 

I am pretty excited for bigger boobs, as I am normally a 34A!  ;)

Old 08-07-2011, 11:33 PM

I'm 5w, 4d, and had to go to a funeral earlier this week. I don't wear bras on a daily basis (I hate them), but had to for this, so I dug them up from where they've been since I last needed them in June...only to find out that the cups bisected my breasts and gave me a lovely quadra-boob appearance. Very attractive. I had to make an emergency run to WalMart at midnight and discovered that I've gone up a cup size and a band size already. I'm hoping that the one I bought will see me through the rest of the pregnancy, though, maybe with the help of back extenders.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillaryblaire View Post

I am so not looking forward to bigger boobs. I'm only 5'1 and I've needed to move up from a DD for about a year now and just haven't because I was in denial. Bra companies assume if your cup size is a DD there's no way you should be a 34 around. And yet, I am. So far I'm still just as uncomfortable in my current bras as I was before but I have a feeling I'm going to need to search for other options very soon... 

LOL Try being a 28 DDD and finding it in nursing bras! Ugh, special order from the UK only! The actual mass of my boobs is comfortably supported in a sports bra, they're not quite the "melons" you typically think of in extended cup sizes! I'm 5'6" and only 115lbs, I'm pretty twiggy and definitely get my share of itty-bitty-titty comments. It took months for it to sink in that I really was a DDD shrug.gif

It took me years to learn that cup size has absolutely nothing to do with how big your boobs may look and everything to do with your band size. By the conventional methods of bra fitting, I always, always come out to a 34 A or AA. The bra companies want to fit as many women as possible into as few sizes as possible to maximize profits so they sell us this one-size-fits-all method of sizing that puts more than half of us in the wrong size bra. So I always bought the tiniest cup size I could find and got frustrated when the cups got wrinkly or bunched up (from "floating" on my too-big boobies) and the band always rode up (from being too big).

My boobs and chest changed so much during my last pregnancy that I would've been in a different size bra every month. This time, I'm just buying some cheapy sports nursing bras from Target (expecting to nurse DD all 9 months and then tandem) and basting some stitches in the band to make them fit now and let the stitches out later. And hoping I don't need a "real" bra in the mean time. My milk supply has already dropped enough that I think I've lost 2-3 cup sizes in just 2 weeks.

I wish good quality bras weren't so danged expensive! Isn't it bad enough already that we have to buy maternity (sometimes several sizes) and bigger panties!?

Old 08-09-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondimpression View Post

LOL Try being a 28 DDD and finding it in nursing bras! Ugh, special order from the UK only! The actual mass of my boobs is comfortably supported in a sports bra, they're not quite the "melons" you typically think of in extended cup sizes! I'm 5'6" and only 115lbs, I'm pretty twiggy and definitely get my share of itty-bitty-titty comments. It took months for it to sink in that I really was a DDD shrug.gif

It took me years to learn that cup size has absolutely nothing to do with how big your boobs may look and everything to do with your band size. By the conventional methods of bra fitting, I always, always come out to a 34 A or AA. The bra companies want to fit as many women as possible into as few sizes as possible to maximize profits so they sell us this one-size-fits-all method of sizing that puts more than half of us in the wrong size bra. So I always bought the tiniest cup size I could find and got frustrated when the cups got wrinkly or bunched up (from "floating" on my too-big boobies) and the band always rode up (from being too big).

My boobs and chest changed so much during my last pregnancy that I would've been in a different size bra every month. This time, I'm just buying some cheapy sports nursing bras from Target (expecting to nurse DD all 9 months and then tandem) and basting some stitches in the band to make them fit now and let the stitches out later. And hoping I don't need a "real" bra in the mean time. My milk supply has already dropped enough that I think I've lost 2-3 cup sizes in just 2 weeks.

I wish good quality bras weren't so danged expensive! Isn't it bad enough already that we have to buy maternity (sometimes several sizes) and bigger panties!?

This really made me LOL. ROTFLMAO.gif

Sports bras seem to be the answer here! I'm going shopping soon!

Hillary (22) belly.gif Justin (25) stillheart.gif

We're expecting our first precious sprout in April 2012 joy.gif And planning a homebirth! homebirth.jpg

Old 08-09-2011, 07:04 AM

Hm, I have pretty much the opposite problem! I have a nice C cup when nursing, but now my milk has dried up and these poor things are like tiny deflated balloons! None of my regular C-cup nursing bras fit (and I'm still nursing DD) - maybe I need to steal some of my 12 year old's training bras!??  I can't wait till my milk comes in again and I have a chest again!! It's just sad to know what The Girls are going to look like once my last baby weans....  eyesroll.gif

slinggirl.gif  Melissa: wife todh_malesling.GIF, mama to 5 dear children grouphug.gif and remembering Matthias angel2.gif (8.9.05 - 8.10.05)

Old 08-09-2011, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_honeyb View Post

Hm, I have pretty much the opposite problem! I have a nice C cup when nursing, but now my milk has dried up and these poor things are like tiny deflated balloons! None of my regular C-cup nursing bras fit (and I'm still nursing DD) - maybe I need to steal some of my 12 year old's training bras!??  I can't wait till my milk comes in again and I have a chest again!! It's just sad to know what The Girls are going to look like once my last baby weans....  eyesroll.gif

I am planning a reduction when my last baby weans lol.gif Enough is enough. If I am an H cup now, I can't imagine what I will be when nursing. I'd offer to share some of the wealth if I could.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:01 PM

All I can say is thank GOD I'm not alone.  I thought I was the only one special ordering bras!  We actually had a fire at the beginning of June and lost everything, so I really need to go get some new bras (working on one lousy bra with an underwire that keeps poking out and a hole that tore while we were cleaning up the debris from the house), but fortunately it doesn't look like they're increasing any...maybe because I'm still nursing and the milk hasn't dried up.

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:46 PM

Oh my goodness zuzusplace--that's horrible about the fire.  What a rough thing to go through at any time let alone when you're pregnant!  Hugs!

Old 08-12-2011, 10:49 AM

Actually, I was pregnant at the time and lost it and then I guess I was so fertile that it happened the next month (after that we were definitely not trying) so it was a shock.16 It's good though, after so much loss we needed something to be happy and look forward to.16 All the really terrible emotional stuff is over at this point and now it is just logistics.

And, yeah, I guess I should get around to creating a signature line this week so that I'm not "zuzusplace" :)

Brande

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

User Tag List