How to deal with exhaustion - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-07-2011, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is anyone else SO tired?  Today is 5 weeks 2 days and I feel like that familiar pregnancy exhaustion is gearing up.  Yesterday my DH and I had a date at an adventure ropes course and spent hours climbing through the trees.  Today I can barely climb off the couch!

I'm at home with my two year old and am wondering how I'm going to get through the next few weeks.  Even reading books is so tiring.  I wish it wasn't so hot so we could just go to the playground for hours.  Any one have tips on keeping the littles happy when all you want to do is sleep?

#2 of 16 Old 08-07-2011, 04:53 PM

Coffee? I'm 6 weeks and in the same boat. I'm really worried about meeting her needs while trying desperately to stay awake. I'd love tips!

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#3 of 16 Old 08-07-2011, 06:12 PM

I'm in the same boat. Soooo tired.

My midwife said up to 200mgs of caffeine a day is fine (probably more is fine too, but she said she couldn't endorse it officially). So, until my body starts rejecting it, I'm having my cup of coffee in the morning. Because otherwise, I just cannot get through without being a total zombie.

Yesterday I felt like I napped on and off all day long, and then I dragged myself to bed and slept another 11 hours!

#4 of 16 Old 08-07-2011, 10:25 PM

I'm getting one fairly normal day, and then one day where I'm exhausted and don't want to do anything but stay in bed. Even the normal days go from "hey, I'm fine, we're good" to "oh my god, I'm going to pass out" really suddenly--twice in the last week I've had to pull over and have my partner drive us the rest of the way home, because I was literally falling asleep as I was driving. Scary!

As for dealing with little kids, have you guys made blanket forts yet? I was massively ill when my daughter was about eight, and was largely unable to get out of bed for about a month. We made giant blanket forts, filled them with blankets and pillows, and then curled up in them and watched movies and did crafts. It was novel enough that it kept her happy and occupied, and cosy enough that I could doze on a pillow while she looked at a book/did a coloring book/painted herself with glitter glue.

miss_honeyb likes this.
#5 of 16 Old 08-08-2011, 12:52 AM

I'm always sleepy... no morning sickness yet. I think I'm 4 or 5 weeks in.

#6 of 16 Old 08-08-2011, 05:54 AM

All I can say is I am glad I had 5 days vacation this week. I think all I have done was lay on the couch most of the time, in between spurts of productivity. I always WANT to sleep, but so far haven't actually been sleeping more. I go back to work Wednesday which should prove fun.

I am also always thirsty. Totally new for me, because before pregnancy, I only drank when I forced myself. Right now, I am dying of thirst and too tired to get up and get a drink. Oh the woes! ROTFLMAO.gif

I just keep reminding myself that all this is GOOD! I like being reminded I am pregnant, even if its by exhaustion, unquenchable thirst, and nausea.

#7 of 16 Old 08-08-2011, 06:30 AM

A big old "Me too" here! And I won't give up coffee until I'm too nauseous!

It's making my workouts hard though. I think I need to tell my fitness trainer I'm pregnant, because I just can't push myself as hard right now.

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

#8 of 16 Old 08-08-2011, 07:59 AM

I am completely exhausted and just spent the past week on a road trip and walking massive amounts at the historical sites we went to. I fully intend on doing nothing for the next 2 days except computer stuff I need to catch up on after being gone.

oh and the nausea in the car was so not cool too. Early pregnancy and road trip DO NOT MIX, especially when all 3 kids got whining and yelling and crying, which luckily they didn't do much thanks to presents I would give them when they started getting fussy.

My kids watch too much tv in the early parts of my pregnancy. it's not something I am proud of but am totally happy to have that option to use. also getting them started on easy crafts they can do themselves. Baths keep my kids busy for awhile. Blanket Forts are great as MeghanC said. When I was pregnant with my 2nd my first liked to pretend she was my mom and she often put me down for a nap or bed. That was awesome.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#9 of 16 Old 08-08-2011, 08:52 AM

I'm actually really surprised that I'm not in this boat yet. I've always HAD to take a nap almost every day of my 1st trimesters. It's not negotiable, it's like, "I'm going to be unconscious in 3 seconds and I better be on the couch when it happens!"  But although I'm a bit more tired in the evening (going to bed around 8 sounds perfect!), I don't feel that insane exhaustion during the day. I'm a little concerned about it... maybe the baby isn't growing?

Or maybe it'll hit me in about 2 days and I'll wish I had gotten more done these last few weeks!  lol.gif

slinggirl.gif  Melissa: wife todh_malesling.GIF, mama to 5 dear children grouphug.gif and remembering Matthias angel2.gif (8.9.05 - 8.10.05)

#10 of 16 Old 08-10-2011, 10:24 AM

Oh my goodness, count me in too.  I'm not drop dead tired like I was with my first, but I have NO energy, and thus no motivation to do ANYTHING!!! DD seems to be wondering what happened to mommy???? All I want to do is lay on the couch... I used to be very careful about how much TV my DD watched, but now it seems that's all I can do for her until the school year starts again... anybody have better suggestions for activities that dont involve too much energy????

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

#11 of 16 Old 08-11-2011, 08:40 PM

I had about 1 week of drop-dead exhaustion last pregnancy (LOL miss_honeyb it was just like you said--I better find a couch cause in a few seconds I will be unconscious!) which hit before the NVP and then went away.  But that didn't happen this time (though I got a PPT MUCH earlier this time and have so many other symptoms I'm not worried).  But both pregnancies once I've gotten nauseated, I get this fatigue after everything I do.  Take a shower--go lie down and recover.  Make breakfast--go lie down and recover.  Eat breakfast...you get the idea.  The other day I felt like I needed to lie down and recover from lying down so much.  I'm not really tired actually and don't ever fall asleep when I'm lying down here or there...it's just odd because I usually can't sit still when I'm not pregnant.

Unschooling mama alongside DH (05/01) to DD (5/05).  Expecting #2 spring 2012!

#12 of 16 Old 08-12-2011, 01:04 PM

I am a little nauseous and VERY tired. However, I have noticed that I have much more energy in the mornings, so I am using that. I try to get my important things done early in the day (like laundry) so when the kids have nap time/quiet play time, I can rest then. Also, I haven't done it so much this time around yet, but with my last pregnancy, I would make dinner in the morning and just reheat it in the evening. I did this more because I had terrible nausea in the evening and was fine in the morning, but it works with the exhaustion, too. Or I do bits and pieces of things. Usually I make the dinner salad while other things are cooking. Now I make it earlier in the day so I can sit down while other things are cooking. Or we have cereal for dinnerhide.gif

We also played "sleep over" today, which was awesome. We all got to lay down with pillows and blankets.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
#13 of 16 Old 08-12-2011, 01:12 PM

No morning sickness yet..... so VERY tired. A nanny and a maid sound like good investments sleeping.gif

Midwife & Mom to Gracen 9 luxlove.gif, Avery 6joy.gif Urijah 4superhero.gif Greta Sue, 9-9-10babyf.gifuc.jpg  Oh Baby! 1sttri.gif Due in April

#14 of 16 Old 08-13-2011, 03:25 PM

I can't believe I forgot this one, ti worked with each of my previous kids. Get the little ones some play food, then lay there and they will bring you food to "eat" and tea to drink for like a n hour!! SCORE

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#15 of 16 Old 08-13-2011, 04:57 PM

Ugh. I'd been avoiding this thread like the plague, just in case the exhaustion was contagious... Didn't work. The last few days I cannot sleep enough. The toddler's super clingy from teething and carrying him around the house feels like running a marathon, so I'm pretty much camped out on the living room floor all day. Then I have to use naptime to eat and catch up on the house, so I'm not really resting when he does like I thought I would. Not to mention the husband's on duty all weekend... Save me.

I'm 7 weeks today, I'm just holding out for the end of the first trimester... In the meantime I've completely babyproofed and gated off the living room, and I just kind of lay there and talk to him and feel guilty about my half-assed parenting greensad.gif

#16 of 16 Old 08-14-2011, 05:51 AM

Same here. It just hit me last night (6+2). i slept 12.5 hors and am lying on the couch again at 8:50 am. Not very proud of myself today.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page