Help me figure out prenatal care! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-08-2011, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

First things first, I'm planning a homebirth, but I like to have early prenatal care with a medical practice, mostly because I want ultrasounds. I'm looking at two options right now, and not sure what to go with.

Option 1) CNM practice with rave reviews, very VBAC friendly. A good friend is seeing them and thrilled. The only problem is they're an hour away, and I'm not sure if they're covered by my insurance. If I were to plan a hospital birth I'd go here.

Option 2) Very large CNM practice connected to an extremely large medical clinic and hospital. This is the same system that all of my other medical stuff is through, including my gyno. The problem is that barring a true emergency I would never birth there. Plus they have policies on prenatal care that I don't agree with, which means I'll be fighting them from the very first appointment. The plus is they're covered by insurance and down the street.

Plus I have a prescription medication that I stay on through pregnancy, but I'm due to run out right before this one is due. If I see option the second I could probably get them to contact my gyno about extending my prescription for a few months. I'm not sure how I'd work this with option the first.

So would you drive an hour for early prenatal care in a practice you feel comfortable with, or fight with people for convenience?

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#2 of 6 Old 08-08-2011, 03:25 PM

I'd drive. I went with convenience for my first pregnancy, and I regret it to this day that I didn't try to find someone who was more in line with my own beliefs about gestation, birth, and post-partum care. My birth experience was not a positive one, and I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone.

Obligatory disclaimer: I was only 21 when I had my first, and was sort of insecure about the whole thing to begin with. If you're more able to advocate for yourself than I was at the time, you might have better luck.

#3 of 6 Old 08-09-2011, 05:35 AM

I too would take the drive. I just don't like the idea of added stress and having to go in with your fists drawn to fight for what you want during pregnancy (or birth).

Hillary (22) belly.gif Justin (25) stillheart.gif

We're expecting our first precious sprout in April 2012 joy.gif And planning a homebirth! homebirth.jpg

#4 of 6 Old 08-09-2011, 04:03 PM

I live in an area where midwives are rare, so I am driving an hour + to get the care I'm comfortable with it, and it's totally worth it!  good luck!

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

#5 of 6 Old 08-09-2011, 10:37 PM

I would drive also.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#6 of 6 Old 08-10-2011, 12:36 PM

I would drive the hour, too. Although i'm having my own care provider debate and might be a bit of a hypocrite. As for your script, i think the preferred provider will get you what you need. If they don't usuaaly do routine u/s, you could ask for one to check the placenta down the road since you're vbacing...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page