please tell me about my hcg blood test - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-09-2011, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello

I had implantation on August 5th. Went to the doctor on August 8 to confirm the pregnancy and get blood test. They did a vaginal ultrasound and it showed a tiny sac. My hcg was 585. My doctor says it's consistent with early pregnancy and the ultrasound and they want me to get retested tomorrow or thursday. I'm wondering why do they want me to test my hcg level gain if it's normal. Should I be worried. I'm 37 so maybe they think I'm high risk since I'm older?

#2 of 6 Old 08-09-2011, 10:11 PM

One hcg number tells you almost nothing, other than that you're pregnant. Hcg should double every 48 hours in early pregnancy, which is why quantitative beta hcg (the test in question) always comes in at least 2. This is standard procedure for anyone who requests a beta and perfectly normal. Typically the only people who want betas are those who've had bleeding, a history miscarriage or infertility, or some other cause to be concerned. I had 3 with my last pregnancy because of a history of early miscarriage.

That is really odd that they're doing that much monitoring for you. Anything different beyond your age? Typically vaginal ultrasounds don't happen until 6+ weeks to confirm heartbeat. So, say you'd been dealing with infertility, the common run of procedures isbeta hcg 2 times. If doubling appropriately that's fine. Vaginal ultrasound around 6 weeks to check for viability and dating. Recheck around 8 weeks (not universal but quite common), and release to normal obstetric care.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#3 of 6 Old 08-09-2011, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Hi and thanks for your reply,

Well I just wanted to confirm my pregnancy, but the nurse asked me tons of questions. I told her I had some on and off cramping and she told me to come and get an ultrasound just to rule out etopic pregnancy. I think that's why they did the ultrasound super early. I've never had problems with infertility. I think they just think cause I'm older, that I'm high risk.

I am, however, a late bloomer. I've had all 3 pregnancies in my 30s. (age 33, 34, and current which is 37). My two children are currently 2 and 3 years old.

#4 of 6 Old 08-10-2011, 01:00 PM

Ok, that is really weird. Cramping is normal in early pregnancy. I had plenty of it during weeks 4 and 5. The concern is when it's one sided and sharp. I had some of that with my first, but I have PCOS and thus lots of ovarian cysts. A week after my first viability scan I had a sharp stabbing pain on one side, and had I not had that scan showing a healthy embryo in the uterus I would have run to the ER to see if it was ectopic. I figure it was just a cyst popping, and thankfully that only happened once.

Have you used this practice before? Because I'd be concerned about unnecessary interventions down the road, since they're doing so many now.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#5 of 6 Old 08-10-2011, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post

Ok, that is really weird. Cramping is normal in early pregnancy. I had plenty of it during weeks 4 and 5. The concern is when it's one sided and sharp. I had some of that with my first, but I have PCOS and thus lots of ovarian cysts. A week after my first viability scan I had a sharp stabbing pain on one side, and had I not had that scan showing a healthy embryo in the uterus I would have run to the ER to see if it was ectopic. I figure it was just a cyst popping, and thankfully that only happened once.

Have you used this practice before? Because I'd be concerned about unnecessary interventions down the road, since they're doing so many now.

I never used this practice before. I was just following what the nurse told me.

BTW, My HCG didn't really double in a span of 2 days. I took an HCG blood test at 3 pm on Monday. Took another one at 9 am on Wednesday. It only went up by 87 (Monday it was 585, today it was 672). They want to test HCG again on Friday. Should I be concerned?

#6 of 6 Old 08-11-2011, 07:17 AM

I'm sorry, but yes, I would be concerned. I've had friends who've had healthy pregnancies with non-doubling HCGs, but they were closer to doubling than that. If the HCG doubles on Friday you're probably ok,but if not it's likely to be an early loss. I'm really sorry, I've had several of those and I know how awful they are.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page