First timers, check in! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 08-10-2011, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Seems like everyone has done this before! This is my first-ever pregnancy, and man I'm learning a lot in a very small amount of time! I get excited about each new symptom, because it reminds me that I'm yes-really-actually-truly pregnant. It's hard to believe some days.

Anyone else here doing this for the first time?

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#2 of 23 Old 08-10-2011, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi!

That's me, to the letter! I am actually *excited* to be nauseated, exhausted, and have sore nipples because its so exciting to be pregnant. jumpers.gif We have the same EDD too!

#3 of 23 Old 08-10-2011, 02:16 PM

First timer here too!!! 

I don't have very many symptoms yet (5 weeks today) besides the occasional sore nipples. I'm not complaining about it but it'd be nice to FEEL pregnant smile.gif

Hillary (22) belly.gif Justin (25) stillheart.gif

We're expecting our first precious sprout in April 2012 joy.gif And planning a homebirth! homebirth.jpg

#4 of 23 Old 08-11-2011, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, I'm surprised there's so few of us so far! 

Hi Dealic, Hi Hillaryblaire!

Ready for a wild ride? I feel like it's crazy already.

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#5 of 23 Old 08-11-2011, 07:11 PM

I agree. It seems every day I have a new symptom, that I am not sure is normal. Then I have to research like crazy to see if it is anything to worry about, and inevitably, its common, but somehow I never heard of it before dizzy.gif

#6 of 23 Old 08-12-2011, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

I know what you mean. I have a new symptom, a pinch feeling in my uterus and a stabby feelin around my cervix. These are the first symptoms that have me worrying. :-/ all the others so far have been "yeah, that is that HCG doing it's magic!"

#7 of 23 Old 08-12-2011, 08:31 AM

Hi everyone! I am pregnant for the first time as well. Having pretty mild symptoms so far - not super nauseous, but food doesn't appeal like it used to and sits a little funny when I eat. Can hardly tell if the upset stomach is an actual symptom of the pregnancy or if it's just my nerves though - my husband just lost his job 2 weeks ago and we just found out this week that we're expecting, so that kind of ups the ante on the normal first pregnancy anxieties, I think. It all still feels very surreal, and a little bit fragile - I've been having the pinching/cramping in my uterus and cervix, RosieL, so I know what you mean about worrying a little.

I have a question for all of you actually - what is everyone doing as far as when/how they're announcing the pregnancy to family and friends? We definitely want to wait for the usual (I think) 3 to 4 months before telling everyone, but we're planning on telling both sets of our parents this weekend - my husband and I are both the oldest so this will be the first grandchild on both sides and our mothers are grandbaby-CRAZED. Just curious if anyone's told the parents yet and how everyone else does this stuff. I was thinking of doing something special for my mom (giving her a gift bag with "grandma" stuff, etc) since she's been looking forward to grandbabies for so long, but I'm concerned that it might be a little indelicate given my husband's recent unemployment. I know that's going to worry our parents. I have been trying to create my own business from home selling jewelry, art, crafts and vintage items so now we're both technically unemployed.

Anyways, any input you guys might have on your own announcement experience/ideas/opinions would be greatly welcomed. Sorry this was such a long post, this is also my first time posting in a forum too, so I'm not sure what the etiquette is yet, ha.

(I'm a little under 5 weeks pregnant, btw, with an EDD of 4/15.)

#8 of 23 Old 08-12-2011, 11:27 AM

Hi ladies! I'm a first timer too! :) Despite reading up for months and being close with my neices and nephews, I feel like I know nothing! My symptoms have been ok so far. Nausea on and off, super sore bbs, some increased hunger, a more sensitive sense of smell, and some weird cramping. I am still sort of in shock. It doesn't feel real yet, and I'm not sure it will until I see the midwife or get an ultrasound (seeing is believing? We'll see.)

"What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us"

Mae/Heather (28) married DH (30) on June 26th 2010 heartbeat.gif Just got our first pos.gif, so baby #1 should be arriving some time in April 2012  - BFPChart2.gif  http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/maevankat  

#9 of 23 Old 08-13-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmLou View Post

I have a question for all of you actually - what is everyone doing as far as when/how they're announcing the pregnancy to family and friends? We definitely want to wait for the usual (I think) 3 to 4 months before telling everyone, but we're planning on telling both sets of our parents this weekend - my husband and I are both the oldest so this will be the first grandchild on both sides and our mothers are grandbaby-CRAZED. Just curious if anyone's told the parents yet and how everyone else does this stuff. I was thinking of doing something special for my mom (giving her a gift bag with "grandma" stuff, etc) since she's been looking forward to grandbabies for so long, but I'm concerned that it might be a little indelicate given my husband's recent unemployment. I know that's going to worry our parents. I have been trying to create my own business from home selling jewelry, art, crafts and vintage items so now we're both technically unemployed.

Anyways, any input you guys might have on your own announcement experience/ideas/opinions would be greatly welcomed. Sorry this was such a long post, this is also my first time posting in a forum too, so I'm not sure what the etiquette is yet, ha.

(I'm a little under 5 weeks pregnant, btw, with an EDD of 4/15.)

My parents live 10 hours away from us so we're going to take a little road trip September 2nd and go tell them in person. (It just feels wrong to do it over the phone, it's their first grandchild). I think I'm going to write a poem for my mom from my child and maybe include a little gift for her (an empty picture frame for baby's 1st picture or something). I plan to give this to her when we take her, my dad and sister out for dinner :) I'm pretty sure she'll cry! 

We'll tell his parents when we get back from telling mine (with them living so far away I only think it's fair that they know first). I'm not sure how we'll tell them. 

I told Justin by writing "We're pregnant!" on every card in a deck. I asked him if he wanted to play a game, told him to pick a card and of course it said "We're Pregnant!" on it :) He's very overwhelmed but excited!

We're expecting our first precious sprout in April 2012 joy.gif And planning a homebirth! homebirth.jpg

#10 of 23 Old 08-13-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

DH and I still haven't told parents because his sister's wedding is next weekend. We don't want to take away at all from her wedding attention! DH mentioned telling the parents on Sunday, after the wedding, but I think we should wait another two weeks until the next time we're all together, at a family reunion that my parents are coming to too. I have no idea *how* we'll tell. MIL has a pandora charm bracelet so I was thinking about getting her a grandma charm.

#11 of 23 Old 08-14-2011, 06:10 AM

Cool, thanks for sharing your "sharing" stories, guys! We actually just told my parents last night - I'm really close with my mom and like I said she's been wanting a grandbaby forever, so I'm surprised I could even keep it a secret the 3 days that I did. My parents only live 30 minutes from us but my mom works in another city during the week so I wanted to wait to tell them in person too, Hillaryblaire. I ended up just getting my mom a book called "How to Be The Perfect Grandma" and my stepdad a hat that says "#1 Grandpa" on it and put it in a bag and just told them when we got to their house "Oh, I got you guys a present." My mom cried, of course, and was totally shocked because up until May I had an IUD and I hadn't told her I removed it, hehe. All in all it was a pretty successful event, I'd say. Oh, and the whole waiting 3 to 4 months to tell everyone went completely out the window because it just seemed cruel to keep my mom from telling everyone she was going to finally be a grandma. Honestly, I was only planning to wait that long because I thought that's what everyone does even though I felt like it'd be difficult to not tell anyone but close family 1) because we're excited and 2) I didn't want to have to keep making up excuses for my complete avoidance of alcohol and my inexplicable exhaustion. It does make me feel a little bit like I'm tempting fate by putting it out there so early on, but I'm just trying to not think of it that way and hope for the best. I'm taking care of myself as well as I possibly can and what will be, will be I guess. I am curious how you guys feel about telling the public at large so early on though...

#12 of 23 Old 08-14-2011, 06:12 AM

Oh, and RosieL, I think the grandma charm is a great idea - it was a lot of fun for me to just watch my mom's face while she tried to figure out why I got her something that said "grandma" on it. :)  And good luck to both of you on your announcements!

#13 of 23 Old 08-14-2011, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My first time too. I put off taking a test for a few days, since I hadn't missed AF yet, but couldn't wait any longer with my nausea symptoms. DH tapping his foot in the car was making me feel like the whole world was shaking and my dinner was going to re-emerge, and smells I usually enjoy were so overwhelming. I want to wait at least another month or two before telling everyone, but I'm not sure about telling our moms and dads sooner. So I've spent nearly every waking moment since the test result learning about what's in store, and "is this normal?"

One sharing idea: Get the family together for a picture, and have the picture taker (soon-to-be dad?) set the camera in movie mode, but pretend to take a picture (or pretend to set the timer). To "coordinate smiles," he says "OK, everyone on three say 'soon-to-be-mom's pregnant!'" That way, you get the reaction recorded! I think I might try this one a few times, with each group we share the news with.

Mostly, other than learning about what I need to be doing right now, I'm trying not to get too preoccupied with it since it's so early. But it's so hard!

fairy.gif (DSD 10yo) angel2.gif (29wks - 2/2012) babygirl.gifrainbow1284.gif (1/2013)

#14 of 23 Old 08-14-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngrey View Post

My first time too. I put off taking a test for a few days, since I hadn't missed AF yet, but couldn't wait any longer with my nausea symptoms. DH tapping his foot in the car was making me feel like the whole world was shaking and my dinner was going to re-emerge, and smells I usually enjoy were so overwhelming. I want to wait at least another month or two before telling everyone, but I'm not sure about telling our moms and dads sooner. So I've spent nearly every waking moment since the test result learning about what's in store, and "is this normal?"

I found the same thing with my DH and tapping in the car! one of my first indications though was becoming nauseated to a song on the radio.

Quote:
One sharing idea: Get the family together for a picture, and have the picture taker (soon-to-be dad?) set the camera in movie mode, but pretend to take a picture (or pretend to set the timer). To "coordinate smiles," he says "OK, everyone on three say 'soon-to-be-mom's pregnant!'" That way, you get the reaction recorded! I think I might try this one a few times, with each group we share the news with.

I think that's a great way! We told my mom and one sister in person, my dad by email, and his parents and my other sister by phone. Sadly, our families are too spread out to tell everyone in person. But everyone was still very excited and happy.

Quote:

Mostly, other than learning about what I need to be doing right now, I'm trying not to get too preoccupied with it since it's so early. But it's so hard!

I can't even imagine NOT being preoccupied. I can't think of anything else!

#15 of 23 Old 08-14-2011, 08:03 PM

This is my first pregnancy and I just found out yesterday. I thought that I got my period only to have the bleeding stop the next day. I had left over pregnancy tests from a previous pregnancy scare so I thought, "what the heck, I'll just check" not seriously thinking that it would be positive. It showed up positive after a minute and it is supposed to take three. I still was unconvinced and took another test. This one showed up negative, so I threw it in the garbage. I walked by the garbage an hour later and saw that it was positive. My husband was at home and I was freaking out so there was no way to remain silent and then later surprise him. I'm hoping that I'll be a little more secretive the next time around!

#16 of 23 Old 08-15-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngrey View Post

That is a great idea!! My Dad is a photographer so he'd really appreciate the sentiment behind that smile.gif

#17 of 23 Old 08-15-2011, 06:25 AM

Anyone else feel like time is going in slow motion? I feel like I should be further along but really tomorrow will only be 2 weeks since I've even known I was pregnant. (Putting me at 6 weeks) 

I try so hard to be patient but it's so hard! 

#18 of 23 Old 08-15-2011, 07:05 AM

Hillaryblaire, I feel the same way (and DH does too - He keeps asking me if it's been 12 weeks yet so that he can tell everyone). It still doesn't feel real to me. I honestly keep thinking "Maybe the BFP was a fluke. Maybe I'm not really pregnant" (even though AF hasn't come and I have all of the symptoms). I'm hoping that when I meet the midwife, I'll be able to accept it more. I had having to wait until September to see her!

"What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us"

Mae/Heather (28) married DH (30) on June 26th 2010 heartbeat.gif Just got our first pos.gif, so baby #1 should be arriving some time in April 2012  - BFPChart2.gif  http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/maevankat  

#19 of 23 Old 08-15-2011, 12:31 PM

Totally can't believe it's really true either - and already getting impatient and it's only been 5 days since I found out! I can't even imagine how impatient I'm going to feel over the next few weeks. I was just telling my husband today I want to get the show on the road! I want the big belly already!

In other news, my mom just outed us on Facebook so now there's really no way for us to wait the usually 12 weeks! It was accidental - she said she doesn't know how to "hide" her messages on FB, meaning she didn't know how to send my aunt a private message instead of posting on her public wall that I'm pregnant. But I'd rather people hear it from me before it really gets around so now we're trying to email everyone we can think of and then do a really public online announcement. It still freaks me out to be putting it out there so early on, but I'm not sure what else we can do that this point.   

Does this kind of stuff happen to anyone else? I had a hard time imagining how to keep it under wraps for months to begin with and now I can hardly believe anyone does it!  oops.gif

#20 of 23 Old 08-15-2011, 12:44 PM

Time is absolutely CRAWLING by! I have commented on this to my husband. I don't know how its possible that I am still only 5.5 weeks and that I have only known for 2 weeks. Time normally flies, but now, when I wish it would, its come to a virtual standstill.

Also about Facebook: My mother in law congratulated me on my wall, the day we told her (and BEFORE we told anyone else except my mom). I deleted it though right away and told her why. I know she's told all of my husband's extended family though. Well I knew that once we started telling, it wouldn't be kept a secret.

#21 of 23 Old 08-15-2011, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmLou View Post

Totally can't believe it's really true either - and already getting impatient and it's only been 5 days since I found out! I can't even imagine how impatient I'm going to feel over the next few weeks. I was just telling my husband today I want to get the show on the road! I want the big belly already!

In other news, my mom just outed us on Facebook so now there's really no way for us to wait the usually 12 weeks! It was accidental - she said she doesn't know how to "hide" her messages on FB, meaning she didn't know how to send my aunt a private message instead of posting on her public wall that I'm pregnant. But I'd rather people hear it from me before it really gets around so now we're trying to email everyone we can think of and then do a really public online announcement. It still freaks me out to be putting it out there so early on, but I'm not sure what else we can do that this point.   

Does this kind of stuff happen to anyone else? I had a hard time imagining how to keep it under wraps for months to begin with and now I can hardly believe anyone does it!  oops.gif

I feel horrible about this, but this is why we haven't told my parents yet. I've told friends who I KNOW won't post on facebook, but my mom and his mom aren't that savvy! My mom already outed a cousin via facebook and she thought she was being discreet. Silly mom. That's definitely not the only reason I haven't told them, but it's certainly a factor!

I am starting to get the queasyness now. I'm less tired than I was in the first two weeks, but more achy feeling all over every morning. I swear, I've never been so hungover in my life, and I"m not drinking a drop!

#22 of 23 Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 AM

This is exactly why I'm nervous about telling anyone! Luckily, the few people who know are good about keeping it quiet - at least so far! When my husband told his BFF, she screamed so loud and starting dancing, so her kids demanded to know what was going on. This included her 14 year old twin girls, so we've sworn them to secrecy...hopefully they keep it under wraps (I remember being AWFUL with secrets at that age). 

Somehow I doubt that we'll be able to keep it quiet until the 12 week mark, but we'll try. My biggest concern is work finding out. 

#23 of 23 Old 08-16-2011, 02:32 PM

Hey ladies, going to jump right in here. I got my "yeah you're pregnant!"  from my nurse practitioner August 5th (two days before DSS 3rd birthday). I have had two miscarriages in the past and this is my first pregnancy that I feel.... GREAT about. This is will be our first child together and my husband couldn't be happier.

We've went ahead and told quite a few people. We live in a small town and between me (I'm so excited I can't contain it) and my parents everyone who needs to know knows. We aren't saying anything on facebook until 3 or 4 months into the pregnancy. For now telling friends and family face to face has been working. I know some would say caution and perhaps we did tell people too soon. But the way I look at it, keep this a positive thing. If I am positive about this pregnancy and stay aware of myself and my limits I can deal, y'know.

So far I've had normal nausea, especially when I am hungry. I'm tired and require a couple more hours of sleep and I have started eating small meals frequently to curb the nausea. Anyone been to the doctor or midwife and had discussions about HCG levels yet? I was at 640 last week. Tomorrow I go to the OBGYN (who I am not too sold on yet) for more blood work. I'll let you ladies know how it goes! And I am so excited for everyone! biggrinbounce.gif

Artist wife to dh_malesling.GIF. Mom to DSS superhero.gif (3 yrs) and DD (04/12).  brokenheart.gif (2/28/10). winner.jpgcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page