Any runners? Active mamas? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 10-11-2011, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Uh, wow. A marathon at 39 weeks?! I decided not to do a half marathon at only 11 weeks. Heh.

DSD wanted to do a 5k last Saturday (her first) so I agreed to go along with her for that. DH was bummed I wouldn't run the half marathon with him, but the alternative worked out nicely. I had resolved myself to not do any running and probably to skip the local marathon event next May, but it did feel good to get out and move about. The problem is, soon the ice and snow will be here and I don't want to be out in that. I've fallen before on winter runs, without any baby counterbalance. And the gym is just so blah. Trying to convince myself to go and lift some weights a few days a week again or join a group fitness class or something.

fairy.gif (DSD 10yo) angel2.gif (29wks - 2/2012) babygirl.gifrainbow1284.gif (1/2013)

#32 of 39 Old 10-12-2011, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A marathon at 39 weeks sounds pretty awesome. I wonder how it physically feels to be bouncing a pregnant belly for that long? I guess she rant hrough pregnancy, so her muscles and ligaments must have developed gradually to support that weight. I'm also assuming she must have worn *some* kid of support. This was her third pregnant marathon! The others were in the second tri though, according to the article.

I'm a bit sore today! Shows me how horribly out of shape I am. I'm going to slowly plug away at this. If I didn't have so much stat homework to do before class I would go to the pool. Or so I tell myself. Man, getting into a comp swimsuit right now won't be fun. 

Aletheia - Yay for fellow grad students! I'm in a business school kind of researching in an area where economics meets psychology. I was a philosophy undergrad with dreams of one day going to grad school for symbolic logic. I thought I would devise a logic framework such that we could apply some of the level of rigor of economics to other social science arguments. Oh the many paths our lives can take. :) 

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#33 of 39 Old 10-12-2011, 11:19 AM

I guess she didn't run the whole way- her time was over 6 hours.  But still.  Geez.

RosieL- what an interesting academic niche you've found for yourself!  I'm glad to have another grad student around here, too.

Didn't run today, either.  :(  It's easy to blow off now that it is so cold outside, and most of my running tops keep riding up.  I looked online at getting maternity running shirts, and YOWZA, my budget won't allow for that.  XL section of the goodwill, here I come.  Someday.  ;)

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 

DS1, 6 years.  DS2, 4 years.  DS3, brand new!  (April 2012)

#34 of 39 Old 10-12-2011, 04:23 PM

Yeah, she ran half, walked half, and THEN went out to lunch before making her way to the hospital...I feel truly pathetic now :p

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

#35 of 39 Old 11-02-2011, 11:32 AM

Anyone else still running?  I went ahead and joined a gym, as it's too cold for me outside now.   And it's a good thing, too, because running inside on the track has been really advantageous because I can't seem to run for 15 minutes without needing to pee!  Seriously- a 30 minute run yesterday, and I peed before beginning, potty break in the middle, and at the end.  I think my bladder is just getting squished as I run.  But I'm glad to not be outside and away from a bathroom.

#36 of 39 Old 11-03-2011, 06:52 AM

I'm not so much a runner but I do spin class 3 days/week and cardio and yoga another 2-3 days/week. I work out at the YMCA and all of the instructors are awesome about making sure my form is good and I'm not pushing too hard. I stopped working out when I was pregnant with my daughter and I gained so much weight with her and was VERY out of shape. I'm determined to do better this time! I hadn't gained anything up until Halloween.. then I was regretting "checking" half of my daughter's chocolate from trick or treating. haha

#37 of 39 Old 11-03-2011, 09:25 AM

LOL.  As I read this, I am eating "just one more" starburst from the halloween candy stash.  :)

#38 of 39 Old 11-03-2011, 11:28 AM

I'm not working out at all, am very dissatisfied with this, and am trying to figure out how to fix the situation. It's not pregnancy, it's school that's keeping me from exercise. :-/ Thanks for bringing it up. I need to get my butt in gear.

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#39 of 39 Old 11-03-2011, 04:44 PM

I'm not a runner, but avid disc golf player. The course I play has a lot of elevation changes and is quite a workout (about 3 hours to play all 27 holes). I was playing once a day up until month 2 and the exhustion got the best of me. I'm slowly trying to make my way back. My only worry is I will end up with a seperated pubic bone like I did my first pregnancy. That took forever to heal up!

Asides from that, I want to swim more and stay active. I feel like I'm coming out of a coma, I was sooo exhausted first trimester.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page