Let's talk morning sickness - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2011, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was whining the other day on the "how's it going thread" about how I didn't have morning sickness yet and was scared. Apparently the baby doesn't like curry chicken.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 09:31 PM

Oh sorry!  But YAY, right?

Even though I'm not pukey, I am nauseted and have no appetite so I can't really cook right now.  I sent DH out for carry out the other night and one whif of curried rice noodles and I had to find something else to eat instead.  I usually love curry but this didn't agree with me at all.  

Right now eating any meat is VERY hard (so much for protein every hour or two).  How much protein does an apple-seed sized babe need anyway ;-)  

But the Vitamin B6 really helped me the past few days (I'm taking 100 mg once a day in the morning--I tried splitting it up into 2 doses today and that didn't seem to go as well).

Unschooling mama alongside DH (05/01) to DD (5/05).  Expecting #2 spring 2012!

Old 08-11-2011, 09:42 PM

Yeah, meat seems to always be bad for me too.  My first three I just could smell raw meat or cook meat.  The last one and this one I can't even eat it (sigh).  I just try to get my protein from dairy and plant based things, track it carefully, and hope for the best.  I figure any protein is better than the none they'd get if I throw the meal up :)  I haven't tried curry, but it sounds like maybe that's a good thing!

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I'm the total opposite. When I'm nauseous all I crave is carbs or greasy things. With Evie the only meal I'd eat in a week was a greasy burger and fries. Which really, it's quite healthy when you're starving. High in fat, protein, potassium, and the all important calories.

Hyperemesis taught me just how important things like calories are. I'm still amazed I managed to grow a 10 pound baby on almost no food.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
Old 08-12-2011, 10:03 AM

I tend to crave meat when pregnant, but that's probably because I was vegetarian for almost fifteen years. This is the first pregnancy since starting to eat meat pretty regularly. It'll be interesting to see how it's different.

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
Old 08-15-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post

I was whining the other day on the "how's it going thread" about how I didn't have morning sickness yet and was scared. Apparently the baby doesn't like curry chicken.

orngbiggrin.gif

I'll join you in the "feeling fine until 2 days ago" camp.  Grr.

I LOVE hard boiled eggs during pg.  And cottage cheese for some reason.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was suuuuper sick with DS starting less than 12 DPO so I have been really confused that I haven't thrown up yet and seem to only get nauseated when I am really tired or really hungry.  The past two days or so I have had a really hard time coming up with an idea of what to eat.  Everything sounds gross.  Then this morning was horrible as far as nausea goes, didn't help I was flying home and DS got up 10+ times to nurse last night.  Let's just say today was not a stellar day but still better than when pg with DS, I am trying to enjoy it but it also makes me worried!

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
Old 08-15-2011, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ugh, I feel sick all the time. I am craving fresh veggies steamed, then drowned in butter. I am not usually a butter person but man do I want it now! Otherwise, I am able to eat crackers, potatoes, rice, and our organic beef (luckily our  half cow was ready just after I found out, so we have lots). I can't eat anything with strong flavours, anything too sweet, or much else.

Luckily, I have a wonderful husband who is pampering me and cooking exactly what I want, every night.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:27 PM

I struggle with morning sickness.  I'm 5 weeks now and yesterday I felt nauseous off and on.  I found if I ate something even though I wasn't hungry I would feel better.  Today I have not felt sick, thankfully!  With my two previous pregnancies I started to get REALLY sick around 6 or 7 weeks.

I'm worried about it because almost none of the natural remedies helped me and I have to be in school full time right now so I can't be that sick :( I might cave and try some Phenergan if I have to.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:17 PM

Anyone having horrendous ms? I'm feeling it 24/7. I've lost a little weight since my trip to the clinic to get the pregnancy confirmed. I can't even go anywhere near the bathroom without feeling sick. The idea of the toilet makes me want to yack. So does the smell of pretty much everything. And I mean EVERYTHING, even non-gross things. This is kinda scaring mecrap.gif

Mother to one Little Flower Childdust.gif 3/08 and one little squirmy boy babyf.gif 4/12 homebirth.jpg, Wife to fuzmalesling.gif,I am a Vegan Pagan. We familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif mdcblog5.gif!

Old 08-15-2011, 07:16 PM

How many weeks are you?  Have you tried crystalized ginger root 'candy;?  That seemed to help me in the early days a little bit.  Not a lot, but some. 

I'm just waiting for the horrendous nausea.  It's been so bad with my others that I can't function.  I'm so scared I will fail out of school :(

Old 08-16-2011, 10:04 AM

I am about 6 weeks along. I've tried fresh ginger, ginger chews, ginger tea and ginger pills. Also peppermint, b6, crackers, eating small amounts, eating frequently, etc. I'm just hoping it will cease as soon as I hit the second tri. It wasn't this bad with my dd, but thankfully this time I am a sahm and she is pretty understanding of me being 'no fun mommy' right now. 

Mother to one Little Flower Childdust.gif 3/08 and one little squirmy boy babyf.gif 4/12 homebirth.jpg, Wife to fuzmalesling.gif,I am a Vegan Pagan. We familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif mdcblog5.gif!

Old 08-16-2011, 11:55 AM

We're making slow progress towards primal eating in our home. I've had intense nausea coupled with a list of food aversions a mile long with each of my pregnancies. Very little actual vomitting but frankly, I'd rather be puking than avoiding everything and feeling like my stomach is tied in a knot for 20 weeks. This doesn't bode well for attempting to eat better, healthier foods. I'm reaching for junk like granola bars and microwave popcorn. But it's either that or my blood sugar plummets so low that all I want to do is sleep and whine about how nasueated I am/my stomach hurts. I've never gotten a reprieve at 12 weeks like so many expectant moms do (you have my envy if you do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post

Oh, I'm the total opposite. When I'm nauseous all I crave is carbs or greasy things. With Evie the only meal I'd eat in a week was a greasy burger and fries. Which really, it's quite healthy when you're starving. High in fat, protein, potassium, and the all important calories.

Hyperemesis taught me just how important things like calories are. I'm still amazed I managed to grow a 10 pound baby on almost no food.

I've never had HG but I agree, when you're on the verge of eating absolutely nothing a greasy burger and fries can be quite nourishing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensong13 View Post

I am about 6 weeks along. I've tried fresh ginger, ginger chews, ginger tea and ginger pills. Also peppermint, b6, crackers, eating small amounts, eating frequently, etc. I'm just hoping it will cease as soon as I hit the second tri. It wasn't this bad with my dd, but thankfully this time I am a sahm and she is pretty understanding of me being 'no fun mommy' right now. 

I'm right there with you, none of the natural remedies have worked, some just make it worse! Even crazy stuff like sucking on freshly sliced lemons didn't work (I don't recommend it, citrus juice is awful to throw up!). The only thing I've found that has helped me is Nauzene tablets and glucose tablets to a lesser degree. Not exactly natural but can help boost blood sugar quickly and long enough to get something more satiating in your stomach. I'm thinking honey might work the same way though? Although I don't think it'll matter one iota if the MS isn't related to being hungry!

Old 08-16-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondimpression View Post

I'm right there with you, none of the natural remedies have worked, some just make it worse! Even crazy stuff like sucking on freshly sliced lemons didn't work (I don't recommend it, citrus juice is awful to throw up!). The only thing I've found that has helped me is Nauzene tablets and glucose tablets to a lesser degree. Not exactly natural but can help boost blood sugar quickly and long enough to get something more satiating in your stomach. I'm thinking honey might work the same way though? Although I don't think it'll matter one iota if the MS isn't related to being hungry!

Lemons and lemonade actually help me get fluids in. That and yerba mate tea with a little bit of fake honey ( rice syrup mostly). I've found that if I try to eat anything that I am not craving it is a very bad idea. It just sucks that I've gone form a mostly raw vegan to eating SO much processed stuff. I'm sticking to organic and low preservative foods as much as I can. I'm ending up with mostly soup broth and popcorn going in though:(  I'm just glad bananas make the cut!

Old 08-16-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StilletoQueen View Post

How many weeks are you?  Have you tried crystalized ginger root 'candy;?  That seemed to help me in the early days a little bit.  Not a lot, but some. 

I'm just waiting for the horrendous nausea.  It's been so bad with my others that I can't function.  I'm so scared I will fail out of school :(

I went to the store and got a variety of pg goodies today, including the crystalized ginger candy.  Wow, it is strong!  Not sure if it helps the MS yet, but it is so strong that it sort of perks me up like smelling salts would!  I'm very impressed.  Also got some hard ginger candy, RRL tea (same kind from last pg, which I'm glad they had because I don't like it all) and also some ginger tea, just to try.  I need to just make it myself but I'm sort of lazy about that stuff....

User Tag List